Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Post Your Consumer Rip-Off Here

OT: Post Your Consumer Rip-Off Here

I'm just getting more and more....here's what I mean....

1) Bought a can of Snapple Green Apple juice yesterday. On the can it says "Made from the best stuff on Earth". Its an 11.5 ounce can, where the first ingredient is WATER and the second is cheap corn syrup. So, the "best stuff on earth" is tap water and a corn biproduct? And, why is the can 11.5 ounces? To maximize profits from TAP WATER?

2) Bought a big bag of frozen flounder (4 lbs for $12.99 - pretty good) it has the AMERICAN FLAG on the front of the bag. The flag is 4" x 3". When I get home it says in small letters on the bottom back of the bag "Product of CHINA". When i cooked-up the fish, it tasted fine, except it was a fresh water fish similar to trout - it definitely was NOT flounder! PS - The US has 26,000 miles of coastline and catches more flounder (which swims in shallow waters) than any other country.

3) I buy a half gallon of apple juice that says on the label "manufactured Worcester Massachuesetts". That makes sense. MA has tons of apples in the fall and the US is known for its abundance of apples. HOWEVER, on the bottle itself in tiny letters is stamped "concentrate from CHINA". So, the tap water and bottling is done here, but, the apples themselves come from Chine while the USA is known worldwide for its apples??? I then, buy a different brand of apple juice a few days later. It says "manufactured in NY" on the label. The Big Apple! Woo Woo! Nooooooooooooooooo! AGAIN in very small letter on the brown plastic bottle it says "concentrate from CHINA"!!!

4) A bottle of Poland Spring WATER at Yankee Stadium is $4.25. A can of imported Fosters beer is $9.50. Beer is 97% FREE TAP WATER.

5) Cable TV was invented in 1972 in order to provide TV without commercials and instead you pay the difference. Today most cable channel offerings have you PAY FOR THEIR COMMERCIALS along with PAYING for the FREE channels.

I love this country, but, the above is just sooooo wrong :steamin:

Any opinions "deeper" than "you dont have to buy it" and "they have a right to make a profit" out there?
    Last edited by Jetman73; 08-31-2007 at 09:53 PM.

[QUOTE=Jetman73]I love this country, but, the above is just sooooo wrong :steamin:
    [/QUOTE]Ha ha! Good stuff. Unfortunately the more you learn about the country, the less you love it. Most people don't put this kinda stuff together and that's why they get away with it. But then of course you're talking about a society that cares more about celebrities' personal lives than the agendas of the politicians they're electing.

[QUOTE=Jetman73]I'm just getting more and more....here's what I mean....

1) Bought a can of Snapple Green Apple juice yesterday. On the can it says "Made from the best stuff on Earth". Its an 11.5 ounce can, where the first ingredient is WATER and the second is cheap corn syrup. So, the "best stuff on earth" is tap water and a corn biproduct? And, why is the can 11.5 ounces? To maximize profits from TAP WATER?

2) Bought a big bag of frozen flounder (4 lbs for $12.99 - pretty good) it has the AMERICAN FLAG on the front of the bag. The flag is 4" x 3". When I get home it says in small letters on the bottom back of the bag "Product of CHINA". When i cooked-up the fish, it tasted fine, except it was a fresh water fish similar to trout - it definitely was NOT flounder! PS - The US has 26,000 miles of coastline and catches more flounder (which swims in shallow waters) than any other country.

3) I buy a half gallon of apple juice that says on the label "manufactured Worcester Massachuesetts". That makes sense. MA has tons of apples in the fall and the US is known for its abundance of apples. HOWEVER, on the bottle itself in tiny letters is stamped "concentrate from CHINA". So, the tap water and bottling is done here, but, the apples themselves come from Chine while the USA is known worldwide for its apples??? I then, buy a different brand of apple juice a few days later. It says "manufactured in NY" on the label. The Big Apple! Woo Woo! Nooooooooooooooooo! AGAIN in very small letter on the brown plastic bottle it says "concentrate from CHINA"!!!

4) A bottle of Poland Spring WATER at Yankee Stadium is $4.25. A can of imported Fosters beer is $9.50. Beer is 97% FREE TAP WATER.

5) Cable TV was invented in 1972 in order to provide TV without commercials and instead you pay the difference. Today most cable channel offerings have you PAY FOR THEIR COMMERCIALS along with PAYING for the FREE channels.

I love this country, but, the above is just sooooo wrong :steamin:

Any opinions "deeper" than "you dont have to buy it" and "they have a right to make a profit" out there?[/QUOTE]

I joined a website to talk football with other Jets fans and I wind up reading threads by Michael Moore wannabees.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=nationalist88]Ha ha! Good stuff. Unfortunately the more you learn about the country, the less you love it. Most people don't put this kinda stuff together and that's why they get away with it. But then of course you're talking about a society that cares more about celebrities' personal lives than the agendas of the politicians they're electing.[/QUOTE]

:canflag: :D

[QUOTE=Conkboy]I joined a website to talk football with other Jets fans and I wind up reading threads by Michael Moore wannabees.[/QUOTE]

Don't read it, d-bag.
    Go back to being a lazy consumer who doesn't care where his apple juice and flounder come from.

If more people made informed decisions about what they consume and where it came from our country wouldn't be in the sorry state it's currently in.
    I guess you enjoy lead paint based toys for your kids and melamine flavored treats for your (now dead) pet.

[QUOTE=CTjetfan51]Don't read it, d-bag.
    Go back to being a lazy consumer who doesn't care where his apple juice and flounder come from.

If more people made informed decisions about what they consume and where it came from our country wouldn't be in the sorry state it's currently in.
    I guess you enjoy lead paint based toys for your kids and melamine flavored treats for your (now dead) pet.[/QUOTE]

Get your money out of the 401k's and mutual funds then. Where do you think those profits come from? Crap like this, in every level of our daily lives.

Here's a site it would seem you would enjoy, Jetman:

[url]http://consumerist.com/[/url]

[QUOTE=Jets 2007]Here's a site it would seem you would enjoy, Jetman:

[url]http://consumerist.com/[/url][/QUOTE]

I just checked it out, it's pretty amusing - thanks!

[QUOTE=Conkboy]I joined a website to talk football with other Jets fans and I wind up reading threads by Michael Moore wannabees.[/QUOTE]Did the capital letters "O T" in the title fail to tip you off that this thread wasn't about the Jets?

The BIGGEST consumer rip off - bar none

Bank Credit Cards

Between the fees and the usurious rates ( that used to be illegal)the public should boycott or cease using the plastic as it can only lead to bank profits and pain to the consumer. :steamin:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetliner]Bank Credit Cards

Between the fees and the usurious rates ( that used to be illegal)the public should boycott or cease using the plastic as it can only lead to bank profits and pain to the consumer. :steamin:[/QUOTE]

How about just banks in general.

I give you(the Bank) my money. You make money from my money and then charge me more money when I want my money back. Sweet.

I especially enjoy the "I support the Troops" magnets that are manufactured in Taiwan. Brilliant!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetliner]Bank Credit Cards

Between the fees and the usurious rates ( that used to be illegal)the public should boycott or cease using the plastic as it can only lead to bank profits and pain to the consumer. :steamin:[/QUOTE]
    If you buy what you can afford and pay the bill in full every month you are actually using their money for free.

Stupid people will always be taken advantage of.

I don't understand did you enjoy your apple juice any less just because it was made in china or the flounder for that fact. Who gives a crap where its from if its a good product its a good product. let them make apple juice and flounder while this country focuses on bigger and better things.

The Polish Kid ( or chowd child)

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan]How about just banks in general.

I give you(the Bank) my money. You make money from my money and then charge me more money when I want my money back. Sweet.

I especially enjoy the "I support the Troops" magnets that are manufactured in Taiwan. Brilliant![/QUOTE]
    In answer to Am I coming or going? one is yellow the other white----- How can you tell a chowd kid in a group of kids???? He's the one with the yellow sneakers and the rusty zipper!

Credit Card solicitations

[QUOTE=Piper]If you buy what you can afford and pay the bill in full every month you are actually using their money for free.

Stupid people will always be taken advantage of.[/QUOTE]

Just for shots and giggles, I get at least six solicitations daily from banks- They don't talk to each other so they all can't be making the "right" credit decision!

If you can afford to pay for it in thirty days(app) then buy it and cut the cost of the use of the card out for the seller- in the long run it'll make things cheaper for all. Typical bank fees for credit cards are 6% of the transaction.

Narrow view of the world

[QUOTE=NYSX99]I don't understand did you enjoy your apple juice any less just because it was made in china or the flounder for that fact. Who gives a crap where its from if its a good product its a good product. let them make apple juice and flounder while this country focuses on bigger and better things.[/QUOTE]

You "think" its a better or equally good product? We focus on destroying our reputation and killing, while we let our infrastructure go to ruin ( Minn. Bridge, rebuild New Orleans,etc.....) and can't provide minimal medical care to all our people. Yeah you got your priorities straight.

The American people are being ripped off with the joke of a medical care system we have.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan]The American people are being ripped off with the joke of a medical care system we have.[/QUOTE]
    talk about truth.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan]The American people are being ripped off with the joke of a medical care system we have.[/QUOTE]
    Hell yeah! Move to Cuba!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SBIIICHAMPS]Hell yeah! Move to Cuba![/QUOTE]

I don't know if that was meant to be sarcasm or agreement. But you my friend have a lot to learn. I work in Medical insurance and let me tell you it really is a joke.....so if someone is putting down our medical system they have every right to. they also probably have have grams and gramps going through it right now.