Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: Post Your Consumer Rip-Off Here

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound]Yup, and anyone who goes to McDonald's is willingly damaging their bodies. Consumers make choices. Many Americans make poor ones. No one puts a gun to our heads and forces us to eat McDonalds and not exercise.

Our healthcare system is not an overall atrocity, it depends what type of insurance you have. [b]The better jobs have better insurance - this is a good incentive to achieve as much as you can. If you cannot attain these positions, there are still lots of blue collar or low level government jobs that offer fantastic health benefits.[/b][/QUOTE]

That is just plane wrong. It should have nothing to do with your job. Everyone single person should have the right to free health care like every other developed country. It is a crime that the richest country in the world doesn't serve to it's people.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=samwise]the care received in this couintry is second to none, but how we pay for it is retarded. :(
    Ask any doctor, they will tell you the training and equipment in this country is envied the world over.
    That goes for th UK, Germany, etc. I'd put the Mayo clinic and Memorial Sloan Kettering cancer center, the Cleveland clinic and Boston childrens up against any hospital in the world :yes: To argue that point is to flex your ignorance

our low life expectancy is related to high fat and smoking, but also high stress. Ironically, the french have the fattiest diet, but the red wine they drink daily saves them. The red grapes used in the wine have an ingredient in the seeds that reduces heart disease

so drink more red wine :D[/QUOTE]

The French also eat a much more balanced diet - plenty of fresh produce, and much less "junk" food.

They just smoke themselves to an early grave instead ...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JamesR]Given how much abuse the health care system here in the UK gets, that worries me! ;)[/QUOTE]

they have longer waits for routine exams, and don't ***** when your taxes are 45% !

as george harrison wrote, "19 for you and 1 for me". There actually is a 95% tax bracket in England. :eek: That's why a lot of musicians change citizenship to US or Monaco

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JamesR]The French also eat a much more balanced diet - plenty of fresh produce, and much less "junk" food.

They just smoke themselves to an early grave instead ...[/QUOTE]

my parents just got back from ireland and Norway, they said europeans eat much bigger breakfasts, smaller dinners, and eat 4-5 times a day. They said they saw maybe 5 obese people in 17 days :eek:

you can see 25 at an afternoon at a mall around here :(

[QUOTE=samwise]my parents just got back from ireland and Norway, they said europeans eat much bigger breakfasts, smaller dinners, and eat 4-5 times a day. They said they saw maybe 5 obese people in 17 days :eek:

you can see 25 at an afternoon at a mall around here :([/QUOTE]

My cousins say that all the time. When they come here from Ireland they always have to, have to say...... "I've never seen so many obese people in my life"

[QUOTE=Sean Ryan]That is just plane wrong. It should have nothing to do with your job. Everyone single person should have the right to free health care like every other developed country. It is a crime that the richest country in the world doesn't serve to it's people.[/QUOTE]
    That's where we disagree my friend.

All Pro
    LOL ... I do remember seeing a photo of a fitness centre in the US that had something like 4 steps leading up to it ... naturally it had an escalator! :D

[QUOTE=Sean Ryan]That is just plane wrong. It should have nothing to do with your job. Everyone single person should have the right to free health care like every other developed country. It is a crime that the richest country in the world doesn't serve to it's people.[/QUOTE]Whether we should all receive it free, as some countries provide their citizens is a legitimate debate. However, American citizens who've worked and paid taxes all their lives are denied healthcare or can't even afford it, while illegal aliens are treated instead.. For free.

[QUOTE=nationalist88]Whether we should all receive it free, as some countries provide their citizens is a legitimate debate. However, American citizens who've worked and paid taxes all their lives are denied healthcare or can't even afford it, while illegal aliens are treated instead.. For free.[/QUOTE]

They are? What was I doing? I was illegal for years.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JamesR]LOL ... I do remember seeing a photo of a fitness centre in the US that had something like 4 steps leading up to it ... naturally it had an escalator! :D[/QUOTE]

I've seen that pic, no one is on the steps, and there are a few people on the escalator :D

[QUOTE=Sean Ryan]They are? What was I doing? I was illegal for years.[/QUOTE]Apparently you missed the boat... no pun intended.

[QUOTE=nationalist88]Apparently you missed the boat... no pun intended.[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHA.

Now thats good.

I didn't read this entire thread...

Did anyone mention...The NFL...Making me buy 2 Pre-season games at full price? :mad:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound][b]The better jobs have better insurance[/b] - this is a good incentive to achieve as much as you can. If you cannot attain these positions, there are still lots of blue collar or low level government jobs that offer fantastic health benefits.[/QUOTE]not true. it's more directly tied to the number of employees. my salary is more than 3x what my wife makes as a counselor in the NYC schools, I have more flexibility in my schedule, perks, bonus, etc., so most would say that I have the 'better' job - but her health insurance offering from the NYC Board of Ed, with their 137,000 employees, is far better than mine, from my 30 employee ad agency. What she gets for family insurance with no contribution is better coverage and less out of pocket than what my company pays over $1200/mo for us to have (she just went back to work after a few years off for childcare leave, she might only stay a year, so I;m keeping my insurance for now...).

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=samwise]my parents just got back from ireland and Norway, they said europeans eat much bigger breakfasts, smaller dinners, and eat 4-5 times a day. They said they saw maybe 5 obese people in 17 days :eek:

[b] you can see 25 at an afternoon at a mall around here[/b] :([/QUOTE]...and that would be an extremely healthy mall. i think you'd find 250 in a whole afternoon in the average mall.

I cannot believe Jetman73 started a thread that hasn't ended up in the dump.

[QUOTE=jetliner]Typical bank fees for credit cards are 6% of the transaction.[/QUOTE]

That's not even close.

It's less than half of that...basic range of 2 - 2.5%.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

too buzzed to read the whole thread, however did anyone throw this out there?

[IMG]http://www.drfad.com/images/petrock.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Megalomaniac]i just looked up more info. just pulled this from wiki...

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care#Economics"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care#Economics[/url]

lowest life expectancy. highest infant mortality rate. we americans spend the most (by a huge margin) on health, healthcare costs is the highest again by a huge margin, and % of health costs paid by government is extremely small compared to listed countries.

i've always wanted to move to the UK, and this just makes me REALLY want to.[/QUOTE]

The infant mortality rate is a skewed statistic. The US counts every baby born live in its infant mortality rates, even if it only takes one breath and then codes. Other countries have much more stringent requirements for what counts as a "live birth" for purposes of the infant mortality rate. [url]http://www.qando.net/details.aspx?Entry=3848[/url] Speaking as someone who spent a lot of time in a NICU when my twins were born at 2.14 and 3.11 (in other words, my daughter wouldn't have met the birth weight cutoff in some countries to be counted as a live birth), well, let me tell you that there are a lot of kids in those categories, a relatively high percentage of which don't survive.

That also skew the life expectancy, btw. Adding a couple of thousand babies who die at 1 day old to a country's life expectancy count will drop the average significantly, even if it doesn't move the median life expectancy very much at all.

[QUOTE=isired]not true. it's more directly tied to the number of employees. my salary is more than 3x what my wife makes as a counselor in the NYC schools, I have more flexibility in my schedule, perks, bonus, etc., so most would say that I have the 'better' job - but her health insurance offering from the NYC Board of Ed, with their 137,000 employees, is far better than mine, from my 30 employee ad agency. What she gets for family insurance with no contribution is better coverage and less out of pocket than what my company pays over $1200/mo for us to have (she just went back to work after a few years off for childcare leave, she might only stay a year, so I;m keeping my insurance for now...).[/QUOTE]

Yep - I make close to 5 times what my wife does, but we're on her insurance plan, not mine.