Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OT: Post Your Consumer Rip-Off Here

All Pro
    1. Coffee -- According to the National Coffee Association, the average price for brewed coffee is $1.38. There are roughly 260 weekdays per year, so buying one coffee every weekday morning costs almost $360 per year.

2. Cigarettes -- The Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids reports that the average price for a pack of cigarettes in the United States is $4.54. Pack-a-day smokers fork out $1,660 a year. Weekend smoker? Buying a pack once a week adds up, too: $236.

3. Alcohol -- Drink prices vary based on the location. But assuming an average of $5 per beer including tip, buying two beers per day adds up to $3,650 per year. Figure twice that for two mixed drinks a day at the local bar. That's not chump change.

4. Bottled water from convenience stores -- A 20-ounce bottle of Aquafina bottled water costs about $1. One bottle of water per day costs $365 per year. It costs the environment plenty, too.

5. Manicures -- The Day Spa Magazine Price Survey of 2004 found that the average cost of a manicure is $20.53. A weekly manicure sets you back about $1,068 per year.

6. Car washes -- The average cost for a basic auto detailing package is $58, according to Costhelper.com. The tab for getting your car detailed every two months: $348 per year.

7. Weekday lunches out -- $9 will generally cover a decent lunch most work days. If you buy rather than pack a lunch five days a week for one year, you shell out about $2,350 a year.

8. Vending machines snacks -- The average vending machine snack costs $1. Buy a pack of cookies every afternoon at work and pay $260 per year.

9. Interest charges on credit card bills -- According to a survey released at the end of May 2007, the median amount of credit card debt carried by Americans is $6,600. Rate tables

Banned
    [QUOTE=NYSX99]I don't understand did you enjoy your apple juice any less just because it was made in china or the flounder for that fact. Who gives a crap where its from if its a good product its a good product. let them make apple juice and flounder while this country focuses on bigger and better things.[/QUOTE]

Bigger and better things = Outsourcing jobs to the middle east, giving what jobs we do keep in this country to illegal immigrants and jacking up gas prices to put the squeeze on middle America, while auto manufacturers continue to crank out 12 MPG SUVs for house wives to drive while applying their makeup, drinking their cosmos and dropping their brats off at soccer practice. :yes:

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan]That is just plane wrong. It should have nothing to do with your job. Everyone single person should have the right to free health care like every other developed country. It is a crime that the richest country in the world doesn't serve to it's people.[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as free Health Care. I truly would love [B]Free [/B] health care but do you truly understand what individuals pay to get that benefit Free Health care.

In Canada people frequently are coming to the US to get surgeries performed do to long wait lists. Also the higher mortality rates on many diseases exp Cancer/Kidney failure etc. which has been seen in Universal Health Care systems.

Example Germany (I just picked Germany no reason) this is a tax breakdown I understand money is not just going to Health Care and Germany does have a a lot of money going to there plethora of Social programs but roll with me on this.

Tax Free Allowance of $10,454
    15% to 24% on taxable income from $ 10,455.00 up to $ 17,377.00
    24% to 42% on taxable income from $ 17,378.00 up to $ 71,139.00
    42% of all taxable income after $ 71,139.00

Not to mention you have to pay Social Insurance

Exp If you make $47,000.00 after all the taxes you end up making $28,000.00

That is over 40% of total income taxed

When my child says to me "she does not feel well" I can call my doc and get her in the same day that makes me a very happy Father.

Is our Health Care system perfect... by no means it is. Is it so broken we need a major overhaul, that our Government should take it over, Definitely Not.

[QUOTE=USAFJETSFAN]There is no such thing as free Health Care. I truly would love [B]Free [/B] health care but do you truly understand what individuals pay to get that benefit Free Health care.

In Canada people frequently are coming to the US to get surgeries performed do to long wait lists. Also the higher mortality rates on many diseases exp Cancer/Kidney failure etc. which has been seen in Universal Health Care systems.

Example Germany (I just picked Germany no reason) this is a tax breakdown I understand money is not just going to Health Care and Germany does have a a lot of money going to there plethora of Social programs but roll with me on this.

Tax Free Allowance of $10,454
    15% to 24% on taxable income from $ 10,455.00 up to $ 17,377.00
    24% to 42% on taxable income from $ 17,378.00 up to $ 71,139.00
    42% of all taxable income after $ 71,139.00

Not to mention you have to pay Social Insurance

Exp If you make $47,000.00 after all the taxes you end up making $28,000.00

That is over 40% of total income taxed

When my child says to me "she does not feel well" I can call my doc and get her in the same day that makes me a very happy Father.

Is our Health Care system perfect... by no means it is. Is it so broken we need a major overhaul, that our Government should take it over, Definitely Not.[/QUOTE]

Why do so many Americans think there are waiting lists? Because you believe that rubbish politicians tell you. That is simply wrong. I have lived in Canada and Ireland and there are no long waits. If you are sick on Monday, you will be seen that Monday.

Propaganda at it's finest.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 09-02-2007 at 05:21 AM.

Let me guess you are going to use the they don't have good doctors excuse too or you don't get to chose your own doctor, or even the facilities are not up to par.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan]Why do so many Americans think there are waiting lists? Because you believe that rubbish politicians tell you. That is simply wrong. I have lived in Canada and Ireland and there are no long waits. If you are sick on Monday, you will be seen that Monday.[/QUOTE]

OK man, this is a huge pdf file from OECD, if you want to read it. It addresses wait time issues though free health care countries. I am not trying to make a huge deal of this man. I am sure you can rip into our Health Care system as well.

[URL]http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/24/32/5162353.pdf[/URL]
    Last edited by USAFJETSFAN; 09-02-2007 at 05:32 AM.

[QUOTE=Sean Ryan]That is just plane wrong. It should have nothing to do with your job. [B]Everyone single person should have the right to free health care like every other developed country. [/B] It is a crime that the richest country in the world doesn't serve to it's people.[/QUOTE]

Yup, doctors, drug companies, technicians, nurses, etc., etc., etc. should all give their time and materials needed for your care for free because it's your right along with everyone else's in the world to get it for free.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=jetliner]Just for shots and giggles, I get at least six solicitations daily from banks- They don't talk to each other so they all can't be making the "right" credit decision!

If you can afford to pay for it in thirty days(app) then buy it and cut the cost of the use of the card out for the seller- in the long run it'll make things cheaper for all. Typical bank fees for credit cards are 6% of the transaction.[/QUOTE]

Bank fees at least where I work - visa/mastercard 1.9%, amex 3.1%, discover is around 1.5%

[QUOTE=BigJon13]1. Coffee -- According to the National Coffee Association, the average price for brewed coffee is $1.38. There are roughly 260 weekdays per year, so buying one coffee every weekday morning costs almost $360 per year.

2. Cigarettes -- The Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids reports that the average price for a pack of cigarettes in the United States is $4.54. Pack-a-day smokers fork out $1,660 a year. Weekend smoker? Buying a pack once a week adds up, too: $236.

3. Alcohol -- Drink prices vary based on the location. But assuming an average of $5 per beer including tip, buying two beers per day adds up to $3,650 per year. Figure twice that for two mixed drinks a day at the local bar. That's not chump change.

4. Bottled water from convenience stores -- A 20-ounce bottle of Aquafina bottled water costs about $1. One bottle of water per day costs $365 per year. It costs the environment plenty, too.

5. Manicures -- The Day Spa Magazine Price Survey of 2004 found that the average cost of a manicure is $20.53. A weekly manicure sets you back about $1,068 per year.

6. Car washes -- The average cost for a basic auto detailing package is $58, according to Costhelper.com. The tab for getting your car detailed every two months: $348 per year.

7. Weekday lunches out -- $9 will generally cover a decent lunch most work days. If you buy rather than pack a lunch five days a week for one year, you shell out about $2,350 a year.

8. Vending machines snacks -- The average vending machine snack costs $1. Buy a pack of cookies every afternoon at work and pay $260 per year.

9. Interest charges on credit card bills -- According to a survey released at the end of May 2007, the median amount of credit card debt carried by Americans is $6,600. Rate tables[/QUOTE]
    1-8 aren't ripoffs, they are just what they cost.

Interest rate expenses on credit cards are no one's fault but the consumer.

[QUOTE=Bleed Green]

Did anyone mention...The NFL...Making me buy 2 Pre-season games at full price? :mad:[/QUOTE]

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SBIIICHAMPS]Hell yeah! Move to Cuba![/QUOTE]
    False dichotomy.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan]Why do so many Americans think there are waiting lists? Because you believe that rubbish politicians tell you. That is simply wrong. I have lived in Canada and Ireland and there are no long waits. If you are sick on Monday, you will be seen that Monday.

Propaganda at it's finest.[/QUOTE]

most wait times referenced are for diagnostic tests like MRI's, not doc office visits or ER

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs]Yup, doctors, drug companies, technicians, nurses, etc., etc., etc. should all give their time and materials needed for your care for free because it's your right along with everyone else's in the world to get it for free.[/QUOTE]
    Everyone else in the world certainly does not get it for free but the profit margin is regulated.

The system in the United States simply bleeds far too much cash off into directions other than those delivering actual healthcare to the end consumer. We are the least efficient system in the western world in that regard. We also are just about at the very bottom of the list of developed nations in terms of our genreal healthfulness and overall life expectancy.

Oh, and we pay more than anyone else in the world.
    Fewer of our citizens are actually covered at all.
    The end results are measurably amongst the worst of any developed country.

I have the good fortune to be doubly eligible for great health insurance but just becuase I am alright Jack does not mean this is not a despicable way to run the nation's healthcare system.

[QUOTE=EM31]Everyone else in the world certainly does not get it for free but the profit margin is regulated.

The system in the United States simply bleeds far too much cash off into directions other than those delivering actual healthcare to the end consumer. We are the least efficient system in the western world in that regard. We also are just about at the very bottom of the list of developed nations in terms of our genreal healthfulness and overall life expectancy.

Oh, and we pay more than anyone else in the world.
    Fewer of our citizens are actually covered at all.
    The end results are measurably amongst the worst of any developed country.

I have the good fortune to be doubly eligible for great health insurance but just becuase I am alright Jack does not mean this is not a despicable way to run the nation's healthcare system.[/QUOTE]

Health care costs around the world are inflating at rates well above inflation whether it's here or in a socialized system. Health care costs can only be contained through rationing not controlling the profit. I don't trust our government to ration care in a none political manner.

By the way when someone can tell me the life expectancy of Swede's living in the US vs. Swedes living in Sweden, I'll buy into the stats. The US unlike almost every country with Socialized medicine has a much more diverse population, more illegals and more issues than semi socialized countries that not only control medicine but almost all areas of public life. Stats lie.