Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike FRICKEN DeVito?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike FRICKEN DeVito?

Are you kidding me? Did you hear his name called one all preseason. I think he made the team just to screw up everyone's roster picks.

Ware, oh Ware....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    “He's just consistent; that's what he was in college, every single day, every single play,” Eric Mangini said. “He works at a very high level all the time. You really respect and appreciate that from all players. He's got a very high motor, and he's learning. I just like the consistency and the motor that he has.”

DeVito was a lock since two weeks ago. Where have you been?

[url]http://jets.scout.com/2/671149.html[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Brain Hemorrhage]Where have you been?

[url]http://jets.scout.com/2/671149.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Obviously blinded by the Danny Ware bandwagon ; )

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Danny Ware looks really good running the ball against no-namers. No surprise. He didn't show the sort of running ability that makes a big-time running back. He's cannon fodder until he can prove otherwise. Tutt looked about as good.

The only surprise is DeVito over Hamilton, but DeVito can be looked at as someone who will become Mangini's Hamilton as Hamilton was for Parcells and Bilichick. Mangini must really believe DeVito will mature into a great run-stuffing DE. Personally, he has to be better than Kimo!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually projected DeVito making the team in my final 53 Man Roster projection precisely because I watched him pretty closely in the games and he consistently got a good push upfront .. didn't have many sacks, maybe one, but he had a number of hurries and he consistently penetrated into the backfield on nearly every down where I keyed on him

IMO he's a perfect fit for the 34 defense, big/strong kid who can get even bigger and stronger in an NFL weight-room, and he's pretty quick too .. definitely has a chance to develop into a nice UDFA find

JMO

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham]I actually projected DeVito making the team in my final 53 Man Roster projection precisely because I watched him pretty closely in the games and he consistently got a good push upfront .. didn't have many sacks, maybe one, but he had a number of hurries and he consistently penetrated into the backfield on nearly every down where I keyed on him

IMO he's a perfect fit for the 34 defense, big/strong kid who can get even bigger and stronger in an NFL weight-room, and he's pretty quick too .. definitely has a chance to develop into a nice UDFA find

JMO[/QUOTE]

And to pat Ham even more on the back, if I'm not mistaken, you praised the Jets signing DeVito as an UDFA when he was first signed right after the draft. So you've been spot on for a while.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LAJET]Are you kidding me? Did you hear his name called one all preseason. I think he made the team just to screw up everyone's roster picks.

Ware, oh Ware....[/QUOTE]If not Devito, who? Hamilton, von Oelhofen, Haynes? None of them exactly shined in preseason. And you don't cut a DL so you can keep an extra RB.

I heard Devito's name more than once during the preseason games and my reactions were the same as yours, "Who?" The guy seems to be around the ball, and more than a few UFA DL's and low draft choices have gone on to have very good careers. Why not Devito?

The decision to keep Devito surprised me but shows me that TC and the preseason really are open competitions for the Jets. That, to me, is reassuring, not disturbing. If there was not at least one surprise with the final cuts and keeps, then I would be worried.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=joemusgo]If not Devito, who? Hamilton, von Oelhofen, Haynes? None of them exactly shined in preseason. And you don't cut a DL so you can keep an extra RB.

I heard Devito's name more than once during the preseason games and my reactions were the same as yours, "Who?" The guy seems to be around the ball, and more than a few UFA DL's and low draft choices have gone on to have very good careers. Why not Devito?

The decision to keep Devito surprised me but shows me that TC and the preseason really are open competitions for the Jets. That, to me, is reassuring, not disturbing. If there was not at least one surprise with the final cuts and keeps, then I would be worried.[/QUOTE]
    Exactly my thought!

And I think DeVito will ask for much less money and contribute even more (because he's younger) than Hamilton, KVO, Haynes or Wadsworth.
    That's my thought.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Devito may turn out to be an excellent player, but I cant help but wonder if this is an example of the "Mangenius" thing going to coaches head.

He seems to want to be known for spotting diamonds in the rough and for seeing the NFL talent in guys who come basically from nowhere: Devito, Spencer, Tutt, Bender all fit the "overlooked guy from a small school" pattern (Its interesting that Mangini himself played at a small school). While its great to look for talent at all levels, if you start keeping too many of these guys it usually backfires. One diamond in the rough per team every couple of years is about all you can reasonably expect.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LB54]Exactly my thought!

And I think DeVito will ask for much less money and contribute even more (because he's younger) than Hamilton, KVO, Haynes or Wadsworth.
    That's my thought.[/QUOTE]Right! Keep a young, cheaper guy with a significants upside who probably will not play much, or keep a more expensive, older guy whose best days are behind him who probably will not play much?

These are the moves I love...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=tacitus0]Devito may turn out to be an excellent player, but I cant help but wonder if this is an example of the "Mangenius" thing going to coaches head.

He seems to want to be known for spotting diamonds in the rough and for seeing the NFL talent in guys who come basically from nowhere: Devito, Spencer, Tutt, Bender all fit the "overlooked guy from a small school" pattern (Its interesting that Mangini himself played at a small school). While its great to look for talent at all levels, if you start keeping too many of these guys it usually backfires. One diamond in the rough per team every couple of years is about all you can reasonably expect.[/QUOTE]I think he's just looking for good football players wherever he can find them. With the exception of Devito and Bender, who we should all reserve judgment on, the other guys you name have already shown flashes. Some teams are able to fill out entire OL's with low draft choices and FA's, so the pick of and commitment to Bender, who has prototypical size and already shows great run blocking skills, should come as no surprise.

I like coaches who exhibit unconventional thinking. Belichick and Mangini are both from that mold. Of course, we could always rehire Herm Edwards, feed the ball to the RB 400 times, and keep all of our young players glued to the bench. :rolleyes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=joemusgo]I think he's just looking for good football players wherever he can find them. With the exception of Devito and Bender, who we should all reserve judgment on, the other guys you name have already shown flashes. Some teams are able to fill out entire OL's with low draft choices and FA's, so the pick of and commitment to Bender, who has prototypical size and already shows great run blocking skills, should come as no surprise.

I like coaches who exhibit unconventional thinking. Belichick and Mangini are both from that mold. Of course, we could always rehire Herm Edwards, feed the ball to the RB 400 times, and keep all of our young players glued to the bench. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Actually all these guys have shown flashes whether in training camp or during preseason games. Mangini and Mr. T have shown a willingness to admit mistakes and move on (see Barlow, Kimo and Schlegal). If they didn't honestly think these guys were better than the guys they cut or didn't see any potential in them, they would not be on the team; pure and simple.

This is not the Herm Edwards Jets and there are no Tory Woodburys on this team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=joemusgo]I think he's just looking for good football players wherever he can find them. With the exception of Devito and Bender, who we should all reserve judgment on, the other guys you name have already shown flashes. Some teams are able to fill out entire OL's with low draft choices and FA's, so the pick of and commitment to Bender, who has prototypical size and already shows great run blocking skills, should come as no surprise.

I like coaches who exhibit unconventional thinking. Belichick and Mangini are both from that mold. Of course, we could always rehire Herm Edwards, feed the ball to the RB 400 times, and keep all of our young players glued to the bench. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Good point. Bryan Thomas and Jerricho Cotchery would have never matured if Herm was still here. We wouldn't have Leon Washington either.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LAJET]Are you kidding me? Did you hear his name called one all preseason. I think he made the team just to screw up everyone's roster picks.

Ware, oh Ware....[/QUOTE]
    I've seen this kid in the backfield a few times and he's very quick for his size.

I'm not surprised at all.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went back to see if i mentioned him at all in the tc reports, and only came up with this from the first week:

On the DL, Ellis looks ready, and Robertson also came into camp in good shape.

Mike Devito (70) caught my eye for his hustle on the field. He's a rookie DE out of Maine, listed at 6-3, 298.

AND JUAN WONG (2)...well, he didnt do much, I just wanted to say his name.

--------------------------------------------

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetcane]I went back to see if i mentioned him at all in the tc reports, and only came up with this from the first week:

On the DL, Ellis looks ready, and Robertson also came into camp in good shape.

[B]Mike Devito (70) caught my eye for his hustle on the field. He's a rookie DE out of Maine, listed at 6-3, 298.[/B]

AND JUAN WONG (2)...well, he didnt do much, I just wanted to say his name. [/QUOTE]
    I know I mentioned his name with similar remarks when I did my breakdown of the first game of the preseason.

[B]Edit:[/B] I found the thread I posted with my breakdown of the first pre-season game. Here are my exact words on Devito:

[QUOTE=ARodKeyWestJetsFan]C.J. Mosely got some push up the middle when he was put in [B][U]as did Mike Devito, Devito seemed to be the quickest of all the D-Lineman, that kid has a motor.[/U] [/B] [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 09-02-2007 at 12:59 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=joemusgo]Right! Keep a young, cheaper guy with a significants upside who probably will not play much, or keep a more expensive, older guy whose best days are behind him who probably will not play much?

These are the moves I love...[/QUOTE]

I could not agree more. We already know what we had with the older guys. They will not get any better only older. This kid can certainly replace the contributions of KVO or Hamilton and still has an up side.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I love this board - when you've got a question... they got answers.

Seriously.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Devito is impressive, not a lot of 300 pounders can run a 4.87.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [SIZE=4]Mike "not danny" Devito[/SIZE]

who remembers the commentator saying that? he is a cheap D-Line and he also played very well,