Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've never seen the Pats in a situation like this before!

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen the Pats in a situation like this before!

Just an honest, objective observation here...

The Pats have been a model for organizational success over the past 6 years in the NFL, like it or not. They've been well run, well managed and extremely well coached. Sprinkle in a great QB and a little luck and you get 3 Super Bowls. But I think the management and coaching gaps have been closed somewhat over the past couple of years and maybe, just maybe, a little bad luck is starting to creep in.

It used to be that the success of the team was held far above that of the individual in New England. A team first philosophy propelled them in 2001 when they beat the Rams after being introduced as a team to start the Super Bowl. Players seemed to WANT to be in New England, to structure contracts to benefit the team, etc. Recent evidence indicates that this is not the case. The departure of Deion Branch, Damieon Woody and Asante Samuels holdout this year now show that the Pats are quite similar to every other team in this regard. A "character first" approach to personnel in the early 2000's also seems to have been put on the back burner. A guy like Randy Moss would never have been traded for in 2002 or 2003. A guy like Brandon Merriwether might have been considered had he slipped to the 3rd round but never taken first by the Patriots. The Rodney Harrison situation is just one other small example of "character" not being a core ingredient in New England's recipe anymore. Again, this is not the 2001 Patriots which was a very special and magical team, no doubt about it. All of the things I'm mentioning have taken place after that team won....they are the efforts needed to compete in a league that has caught up with the Patriots.

And finally, age and injury are creeping up. Maybe it's bad luck, maybe it's stretching for one more Super Bowl with BB/Pioli/Brady intact. I don't know, but outside of the addition of A. Thomas who isn't old (but isn't young either) that LB corps is looking old. The addition of Seau last year surprised me, the continued reliance on Bruschi probably worries most Patriot fans. A significant injury to Richard Seymour, nagging injuries for Maroney, Moss and others....all before the season has even started put the team in an unusual position for a consensus Super Bowl favorite.

With all of the above, the Pats still have the two most important things working for them...Belichick and Brady. Until one or both of them are gone, the Pats will always have a chance. I just find this year's situation, which has been building over the past few years, very odd for the Pats. The model of stability seems more like a model of uncertainty than ever before. I just can't remember so many questions for this team at one time. A. Samuel's holdout, R. Moss' possible trade/release, R. Seymour's injury, and R. Harrison's suspension....all in one year? In previous years just one of these would be a major headline.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23] A. Samuel's holdout, R. Moss' possible trade/release, R. Seymour's injury, and R. Harrison's suspension....all in one year? In previous years just one of these would be a major headline.[/QUOTE]

There certainly was a lot of fanfare going on at the same time, but the end result is the same as in past years -- Seymour and Harrison, for one reason or another (usually injuries, but this year injuries and HGH) inevitably miss a significant portion of the season.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i tmight not happen this year....but despite what the chowd trolls think, new england will have down years again. no team stays on top forever. it's just going to be funny to see how fewer fans the pats have when they start to suck again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you that the Pats are a team that is falling apart which is very entertaining as well as the chowds scrambling to say that it isn't so but to say that you haven't seen the Pats in a situation like this before suggests that you have'nt been watching footall for very long. Prior to 2000, and the quesitonable success* the team had earlier this decade this is the way that it had always been with the Pats as one of the NFLs most pathetic franchises.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pats will go 13-3 this season

Since the Psts beat the Rams in the SB, they win using a combination of smarts and thuggery. Bellichick was schooled by Parcells who looked the other way with coke-snorting buying-hookers-for opposing-teams Lawrence Taylor - right?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's not get all giddy until we played twice this year. If successful we can then act proud.
    What happens is we lose both games? are we still gonna say: "They're going down...it's over..blah-blah-blah?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Patriots are one of the top 3 teams in the league.

Their O-Line and D-Line's are young, solid and signed long term.

They have the best coach in the league.

They have the best QB in the league.

They have more day one picks in next years draft than any other team.

Sorry Jets fans, a few rumors, an injury or two and some bad decisions by Harrison will not bring down the beast.

This team will be very good for another 5 years minimum.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    whats the AVERAGE AGE of the patriots

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=woodside]I agree with you that the Pats are a team that is falling apart which is very entertaining as well as the chowds scrambling to say that it isn't so but to say that you haven't seen the Pats in a situation like this before suggests that you have'nt been watching footall for very long. Prior to 2000, and the quesitonable success* the team had earlier this decade this is the way that it had always been with the Pats as one of the NFLs most pathetic franchises.[/QUOTE]

Pathetic, yes. But that's not what they are this year. They are conflicted, injured, and uncertain. That is different.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MACPAC]The Patriots are one of the top 3 teams in the league.

Sorry Jets fans, a few rumors, an injury or two and some bad decisions by Harrison will not bring down the beast.

This team will be very good for another 5 years minimum.[/QUOTE]

not when we cheap shot brady,

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mikey Z 6]not when we cheap shot brady,[/QUOTE]

Nah, we don't need to do that. Just put a few Chippendales male dancers on the Pats sideline to distract him during the game!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

a couple of things. so i guess linebackers and secondary don't mean too much. peyton manning is the best qb in the league. draft picks guarantee absolutely nothing. while i don't believe this year is the pats time to spiral downwards...i don't think it lasts another 5 years either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=neckdemon]a couple of things. so i guess linebackers and secondary don't mean too much. peyton manning is the best qb in the league. draft picks guarantee absolutely nothing. while i don't believe this year is the pats time to spiral downwards...i don't think it lasts another 5 years either.[/QUOTE]

LBs are critical to running a strong 3-4. Not only do you need them to be young, smart and talented....but you need a lot of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

God dammit. The Jets are making progress, but this is a sobering reality. :(

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=woodside]I agree with you that the Pats are a team that is falling apart which is very entertaining as well as the chowds scrambling to say that it isn't so but to say that you haven't seen the Pats in a situation like this before suggests that you have'nt been watching footall for very long. Prior to 2000, and the quesitonable success* the team had earlier this decade this is the way that it had always been with [B]the Pats as one of the NFLs most pathetic franchises.[/B][/QUOTE]

If the Pats franchise is pathetic with 5 Superbowls and 3 Lombardis what does that make the NJ Jets franchise?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign]If the Pats franchise is pathetic with 5 Superbowls and 3 Lombardis what does that make the NJ Jets franchise?[/QUOTE]
    You people really have the obnoxious level turned up the last few days, huh? I believe he said "prior to 2000" and it is 100% true. Prior to the accidental discovery of Tom Brady, the Patriots were a joke. Has that changed considerably over the last few years? Of course, but that doesn't change what they were not all that long ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with most of jetstreams points, and I think its due to BB really being embarrased by the choke VS Indy, and his imminent retirement causing him and Pioli to throw it all in the garbage and go for one last shot at glory

But

Like Mike Greenberg, I thought the pats would come back to the pack last season, and they made the AFC champ game, so I can't count them out until we lock up the division title

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bleedin' Green]I believe he said "prior to 2000" and it is 100% true. Prior to the accidental discovery of Tom Brady, the Patriots were a joke. Has that changed considerably over the last few years? Of course, but that doesn't change what they were not all that long ago.[/QUOTE]

This is such pathetic attempt at an argument.

Prior to 1972, the Pittsburgh Steelers were a joke.
    Prior to Joe Montana, the San Francisco 49ers were a joke.
    Prior to Michael Jordan, the Chicago Bulls were a joke.

Who cares???

All that matters is that the Patriots current run ranks amongst the greatest ever and when it's all said and done, this formerly terrible franchise will own more Lombardies than every other franchise in the league.

Meanwhile, the Jets will still rank amongst the sorriest franchises in all of sports.

Truth hurts....deal with it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bleedin' Green]You people really have the obnoxious level turned up the last few days, huh? I believe he said "prior to 2000" and it is 100% true. Prior to the accidental discovery of Tom Brady, the Patriots were a joke. Has that changed considerably over the last few years? Of course, but that doesn't change what they were not all that long ago.[/QUOTE]

Ok I'll play your game- what have the Jets done after that lone Superbowl appearance/win during the Nixon era? The "100%" truth is not much, how can you mock the Pats in comparison? It defies logic. :rolleyes:

BTW if responding a homer's self serving diatribe makes me obnoxious then so be it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=woodside]I agree with you that the [B]Pats are a team that is falling apart[/B].[/QUOTE]

woodchuck once again shows why he is the dumbest poster on JI. :yes: