Thread: OG prospect cut

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

OG prospect cut

Kevin Boothe a 6th Round draft pick of the Raiders in 2006 was cut Friday. The move is considered a surprise by many. Boothe played in all 16 Games in 2006 and started 14. It was believed by many that Boothe didn't fit Lane Kiffin's mold and was dropped as being not one of Kiffin's guys.

Boothe is originally from Queens and attended Cornell University.
    Last edited by WestCoastMole; 09-02-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin Boothe | #67 | G
    [IMG]http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/headshot/B/O/O/BOO647685.jpg[/IMG]
    [B]Height: 6-5 Weight: 315 Age: 24
    Born: 7/5/1983 Queens , NY[/B]
    College: Cornell
    Experience: 2nd season

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    YES!!! sign this beast!!

for LONG money!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the Raiders line being as bad as it has been lately I can't imagine that they would cut any quality.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades]With the Raiders line being as bad as it has been lately I can't imagine that they would cut any quality.[/QUOTE]

I did say prospect. The Raiders are notoriously impatient with their young players and many considered this cut a big surprise. I figure he can't be any worse than what the Jets have now and he possesses considerable upside. Being from the New York Metro Area he could sign relatively cheap. What do the Jets have to lose in such an arrangement ?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastMole]I did say prospect. The Raiders are notoriously impatient with their young players and many considered this cut a big surprise. I figure he can't be any worse than what the Jets have now and he possesses considerable upside. Being from the New York Metro Area he could sign relatively cheap. What do the Jets have to lose in such an arrangement ?[/QUOTE]
    That line was pretty bad last year.....any chance he could have been part of the problem?.....Just wondering...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Fanatic]That line was pretty bad last year.....any chance he could have been part of the problem?.....Just wondering...[/QUOTE]

not really. if anything, he was one of the few bright spots. you gotta remember that he was a 6th-rounder from an Ivy League school, not exactly a high-profile draft pick. yet he outplayed the competition, including high-regarded 3rd round pick Paul McQuistan, and earned a starting spot for 14 games.

not saying he's a future pro-bowler or anything of the sort, just saying he's worth a look and could be an upgrade at backup OL spots for us. he's big, very strong, and has starting experience.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oakland isn't having a ton of luck with their draft class so far...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    but he's a queen.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar]not really. if anything, he was one of the few bright spots. you gotta remember that he was a 6th-rounder from an Ivy League school, not exactly a high-profile draft pick. yet he outplayed the competition, including high-regarded 3rd round pick Paul McQuistan, and earned a starting spot for 14 games.

not saying he's a future pro-bowler or anything of the sort, just saying he's worth a look and could be an upgrade at backup OL spots for us. he's big, very strong, and has starting experience.[/QUOTE]

For the Jets, a JAG would be an upgrade. We don't have a starting-caliber player at Guard as of today. I'd be happy with any average starter at this point.

It's not about building a SuperUnit now - it's disaster recovery.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Fanatic]That line was pretty bad last year.....any chance he could have been part of the problem?.....Just wondering...[/QUOTE]

The O-Line is made up of 5 Players. Expecting a 6th Round Pick from a 1A Program to start the 3rd Game of the season and be your savior is a bit much and few in the Raider Organization were ready to give up on him. I'm not saying the Jets should sign him as an immediate starter, far from it. You sign a guy like Boothe for minimum with the intention of keeping him inactive for the first 6 weeks of the season while the coaching staff works with him. Then when somebody goes down with an injury you activate him as a backup. If he shows enough to at least work his way into a rotation in the 2nd half of the season you keep him, if he doesn't adios.
    Last edited by WestCoastMole; 09-02-2007 at 02:00 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too late the Giants picked him up.