Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mets sweep Braves

Hall Of Fame

Mets sweep Braves

Nice comeback.

Phils 4 back

Braves 7.5 back

All League
    They did what they needed to do, unlike the Yankees.

Hall Of Fame
    Huge Series for the Mets, put some ground back up between the Mets and the Phillies and pretty much knocked out the Braves with this series.

Now they need to continue this streak and put up the other 2 games they had lost to the Phils.

Veteran
    good thing this team has no heart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan

well they showed at least that they're not as gutless as they looked to be. this coming homestand they play 3 against the braves and 3 against the phils. we'll see exactly how much heart they have. at the end of this homestand we'll have a good idea of the state of the team going into the home stretch.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan
    “We’ve got to start playing with a little more passion.”
    - Tim Hudson

Seems like the Mets aren't the only one with that 'problem'. A lack of heart is a label given to every team that is (at the time) underperforming. No matter if it's even accurate or not, it's rather comical actually.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    “We’ve got to start playing with a little more passion.”
    - Tim Hudson

Seems like the Mets aren't the only one with that 'problem'. A lack of heart is a label given to every team that is (at the time) underperforming. No matter if it's even accurate or not, it's rather comical actually.

teams with "heart" step it up when they're in a big spot. the mets came into philly and played scared, making mental errors and showing what looked like a lack of confidence. confidence breeds success. i truly believe that the mind plays a big part of a player's and therefore teams success. and that mindset starts at the top, imo. mind over matter is a powerful tool. and it takes heart to belive in yourself, especially when the chips are stacked against you.

Veteran
    Next is to close out the division. October here we come

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin
    Next is to close out the division. October here we come

All League
    Isn't that the first time the Mets swept the Braves in a long time?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan
    Isn't that the first time the Mets swept the Braves in a long time?
    They actually swept in Atlanta last July too, but before that I think it was a ridculous amount of time since we swept.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    teams with "heart" step it up when they're in a big spot. the mets came into philly and played scared, making mental errors and showing what looked like a lack of confidence. confidence breeds success. i truly believe that the mind plays a big part of a player's and therefore teams success. and that mindset starts at the top, imo. mind over matter is a powerful tool. and it takes heart to belive in yourself, especially when the chips are stacked against you.
    What happened in the Philly Series was

A) Jose Reyes and Luis Castillo (Probably due to being banged up) went into a bit of a slump, therefore there wasn't anybody on base for our hottest 2 hitters (David Wright and Carlos Beltran) to drive home.

B) Our Pitching, both Starting and Relief struggled all series. The starting pitching struggled because Brian Lawrence sucks and El Duque was pitching hurt. The bullpen struggled because our starters weren't eating innings and the Mets had to go into the depth of the bullpen and use guys like Mota, Schoeneweis, and Sele in key innings, and of course Wagner dealing with a case of dead arm didn't help either.

It's a minor blip in the radar at a bad time, not a lack of heart. If anything, the Mets showed their heart by battling back from behind numerous times. It just wasn't the results we were hoping for.

Banned
    What happened in the Philly Series was

A) Jose Reyes and Luis Castillo (Probably due to being banged up) went into a bit of a slump, therefore there wasn't anybody on base for our hottest 2 hitters (David Wright and Carlos Beltran) to drive home.

B) Our Pitching, both Starting and Relief struggled all series. The starting pitching struggled because Brian Lawrence sucks and El Duque was pitching hurt. The bullpen struggled because our starters weren't eating innings and the Mets had to go into the depth of the bullpen and use guys like Mota, Schoeneweis, and Sele in key innings, and of course Wagner dealing with a case of dead arm didn't help either.

It's a minor blip in the radar at a bad time, not a lack of heart. If anything, the Mets showed their heart by battling back from behind numerous times. It just wasn't the results we were hoping for.

our bullpen is decidedly mediocre this year. heilman is a meltdown wating to happen every time he pitches. you don't even have to wait for the meltdown when schoenweiss gets in the game. mota has been horrid as well. wagner doesn't have dead arm...he has been struggling with hitting spots recently. hanging sliders and such.

How did the Phillies follow up their sweep of the Mets?.....By losing 2 of 3 to the Marlins and blowing a 5 run lead today.......No heart in them Phillies i suppose........

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmetsrangers
    How did the Phillies follow up their sweep of the Mets?.....By losing 2 of 3 to the Marlins and blowing a 5 run lead today.......No heart in them Phillies i suppose........

let's see what happens when the phils come to shea later next week.....

Hall Of Fame
    our bullpen is decidedly mediocre this year. heilman is a meltdown wating to happen every time he pitches. you don't even have to wait for the meltdown when schoenweiss gets in the game. mota has been horrid as well. wagner doesn't have dead arm...he has been struggling with hitting spots recently. hanging sliders and such.
    A) I don't have any idea why Heilman gets such a raw deal here (And by Mets fans in general). He had a 2.31 ERA in August and a 2.84 ERA in July. In the past 2 months he's been damn good.

B) Scott Schoeneweis is a good situational pitcher who's being misused. Lefties are hitting only .224 against him for a .583 OPS, meanwhile Righties are hitting .322 against him for a .946 OPS. He's the kind of pitcher who should be used for one out against a Lefty Hitter late in the game.

C) And it really doesn't matter what's up with Wagner, the point was that he's a good pitcher who's in a bit of a slump. You're right that it's probably not dead arm anymore. Instead he's a pitcher who says he needs regular work in order to stay sharp and the 6 or so days he had off in a row (Due to Dead Arm) is probably why he was hanging those sliders.

Banned
    A) I don't have any idea why Heilman gets such a raw deal here (And by Mets fans in general). He had a 2.31 ERA in August and a 2.84 ERA in July. In the past 2 months he's been damn good.

B) Scott Schoeneweis is a good situational pitcher who's being misused. Lefties are hitting only .224 against him for a .583 OPS, meanwhile Righties are hitting .322 against him for a .946 OPS. He's the kind of pitcher who should be used for one out against a Lefty Hitter late in the game.

C) And it really doesn't matter what's up with Wagner, the point was that he's a good pitcher who's in a bit of a slump. You're right that it's probably not dead arm anymore. Instead he's a pitcher who says he needs regular work in order to stay sharp and the 6 or so days he had off in a row (Due to Dead Arm) is probably why he was hanging those sliders.

idk why, but heilman just come off as a p*ssy to me. idk what it is, but even today he gave up some hard hits....thank God they were right at wright. schoeneweis is definitely being used wrong, which brings up the issue i have with willie being a unremarkable in game manager. as far as wagner goes, i think he's a good pitcher also......he still needs to develop a third pitch, imo. he can't throw it 100mph anymore.

let's see what happens when the phils come to shea later next week.....

We will see but i know this, the Mets have been in first place all year and they just got swept by the Phillies.....What happened next, they sweep the Braves in Atlanta, a team we have not won a series from all year.....

We get 3 tremendous performances out of Maine, Glavine and of all people Pelfrey with a gutty showing yesterday.....Delgado chipped in with 2 huge home runs and Beltran was clutch also......

The Mets stepped up in a big spot and got some clutch performances and showed plenty of heart in my view.......If they were soft or had no heart the series in Atlanta could have been their downfall but instead they came up aces.....

I wonder what Beningo thinks today....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmetsrangers
    We will see but i know this, the Mets have been in first place all year and they just got swept by the Phillies.....What happened next, they sweep the Braves in Atlanta, a team we have not won a series from all year.....

We get 3 tremendous performances out of Maine, Glavine and of all people Pelfrey with a gutty showing yesterday.....Delgado chipped in with 2 huge home runs and Beltran was clutch also......

The Mets stepped up in a big spot and got some clutch performances and showed plenty of heart in my view.......If they were soft or had no heart the series in Atlanta could have been their downfall but instead they came up aces.....

I wonder what Beningo thinks today....

i can't argue with that....especially when you consider that they did it agaijst tim hudson and john smoltz. and how nice was it to see pelfrey doing well? he's still a littel inconsistent with his control of his secondary pitches. and he gets rattled a little bit still....but if he can totally sort it out, he can be a damn good pitcher.

All League
    Now drive a dagger into the Phillies heart! It would be great if Pedro has a good outing!