Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jets' defense this year compared to last year: will it be better?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jets' defense this year compared to last year: will it be better?

I do think the Jets' defense this year will be "better" overall compared to last year. I do not expect it to be a major improvement, and it's difficult to compare statistics as the opponents and situations will be different. How much and what kinds of improvements remain to be seen.

As far as personnel goes, it seems like they decided they would keep both Robertson and Vilma, but try to add players around them that would enhance the defense overall. They added Kenyon Coleman, David Bowens, Eric Hicks, and Mike Devito as DE's, while ridding themselves of aging veterans Von Oelhoffen and Hamilton. These new guys are younger, so they are probably faster and tire less, which can help in both run pursuit and pass rushing. Then they added rookies Revis and Harris. Revis looked really good in his training camp debuts, and could become an excellent coverage guy for many years to come. Harris was supposed to be an excellent run-stuffer but lack some flexibilty and speed in pass coverage, but to me, he looked like the fastest and most active LB in camp. Both these guys should get better as the season progresses.

People have described the Jets defense as a "bend-but-do-not-break" one, and I tend to agree. I think some of these new guys will provide the defense with a few more "big plays" that break the momentum of opposing drives. It might not be a dramatic difference and occur all the time, but it will be a slight difference compared to last year.

They'll probably also have the flexibility to move players around more in the front seven, with more outside guys who are practicing as DE's and LB's. Maybe they will use more 4-3 setups, which seem to suit Roberston and Vilma better.

So the defense could be slightly more capable compared to last year. The biggest difference on the team might be Thomas Jones.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Due to experience in the system they should be. From what was shown in preseason many would say no, My response to that is did the Jets D realy show any real game planing in the pre-season or were players more put in evaluation positions on the field. The answer to your question can not be truthfuly answered till after week two at best and we see realy how far they have come as a unit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Esiason2Moore TD]I do think the Jets' defense this year will be "better" overall compared to last year. I do not expect it to be a major improvement, and it's difficult to compare statistics as the opponents and situations will be different. How much and what kinds of improvements remain to be seen.

As far as personnel goes, it seems like they decided they would keep both Robertson and Vilma, but try to add players around them that would enhance the defense overall. They added Kenyon Coleman, David Bowens, Eric Hicks, and Mike Devito as DE's, while ridding themselves of aging veterans Von Oelhoffen and Hamilton. These new guys are younger, so they are probably faster and tire less, which can help in both run pursuit and pass rushing. Then they added rookies Revis and Harris. Revis looked really good in his training camp debuts, and could become an excellent coverage guy for many years to come. Harris was supposed to be an excellent run-stuffer but lack some flexibilty and speed in pass coverage, but to me, he looked like the fastest and most active LB in camp. Both these guys should get better as the season progresses.

People have described the Jets defense as a "bend-but-do-not-break" one, and I tend to agree. I think some of these new guys will provide the defense with a few more "big plays" that break the momentum of opposing drives. It might not be a dramatic difference and occur all the time, but it will be a slight difference compared to last year.

They'll probably also have the flexibility to move players around more in the front seven, with more outside guys who are practicing as DE's and LB's. Maybe they will use more 4-3 setups, which seem to suit Roberston and Vilma better.

So the defense could be slightly more capable compared to last year. The biggest difference on the team might be Thomas Jones.[/QUOTE]

Solid post.

As one of the people who described the defense as bend-but-do-not-break, I agree.

:D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    when we bust your wanabee PATRIOTS D up week 1 youll see just how sorry the jets D really is and bring back all of your lil fantasy dreams of having a good D back to reality.... hollaaaaa :D

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bocajetfan68]Due to experience in the system they should be. From what was shown in preseason many would say no, My response to that is did the Jets D realy show any real game planing in the pre-season or were players more put in evaluation positions on the field. The answer to your question can not be truthfuly answered till after week two at best and we see realy how far they have come as a unit.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the experience factor also. They can expand from the fundamentals to more advanced things.

I was thinking along the similar lines regarding preseason. From all accounts, Mangini's camps are like some gulag. So guys might have been spent say, when they played the Giants (whose practices might not be as grueling).

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MOSSisaBOSS]when we bust your wanabee PATRIOTS D up week 1 youll see just how sorry the jets D really is and bring back all of your lil fantasy dreams of having a good D back to reality.... hollaaaaa :D[/QUOTE]

"Oh, look, the circus is coming to town! Oh, look, it's just Randy Moss..."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Patriots didn't need Randy Moss to win games and be better then the Jets so why all of the sudden is he suppose to be the saviour seen through the eyes of Jets fans? Moss or no Moss the Jets aren't in the same class as the New England Patriots.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our 'D' will start off like they did after the Cleveland game. That's really the starting point I think they'll take off from. I expect them to look like the stingy defense we had the second half of last year. After our bye this year, I really expect the rookies to start coming into their own and developing into mainstay playmakers. It will get tougher to run against us this year, and at the same time, we're going to be able to leave a 'man on an island' for alot of our games.

Holla. :yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    LMAO............yeah ok Holla. Dwayne pee-wee or as Tex says "The Shrimp" Robertson. Vilma on the outside makes more sense but the Jets will get trampled more often the not. Your expecting too much bud. Jets got MUCHO holes. Throw in a tougher schedule and say hello to 7-9, 8-8 with some breaks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Wiggy]LMAO............yeah ok Holla. Dwayne pee-wee or as Tex says "The Shrimp" Robertson. Vilma on the outside makes more sense but the Jets will get trampled more often the not. Your expecting too much bud. Jets got MUCHO holes. Throw in a tougher schedule and say hello to 7-9, 8-8 with some breaks.[/QUOTE]

The Jets run defense will once again be near the bottom of the league.

And we all know what happens in the NFL to teams that can't stop the run. :yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets D will continue to struggle against the run as long as Jonathan Vilma is one of the ILBs. Harris and Barton are the best available combination of LBs for this defense.

I think the poster who said the Jets D will play like they did after the Browns game from the begining of the season is probably right. But, they'll need to because the quality of the teams they will be facing will be higher than it was last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MOSSisaBOSS]when we bust your wanabee PATRIOTS D up week 1 youll see just how sorry the jets D really is and bring back all of your lil fantasy dreams of having a good D back to reality.... hollaaaaa :D[/QUOTE]

Hey, TX, you better get your act together, b/c losers like this guy are QUICKLY stripping you of your "most annoying troll" title!

(You gotta admit . . . he's even giving TROLLS a bad name!) :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX]The Jets run defense will once again be near the bottom of the league.

And we all know what happens in the NFL to teams that can't stop the run. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Like the Colts, right??? ;)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH]Like the Colts, right??? ;)[/QUOTE]

Yea, and the Jets have as good a QB as the Colts do. :zzz:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH]Hey, TX, you better get your act together, b/c losers like this guy are QUICKLY stripping you of your "most annoying troll" title!

(You gotta admit . . . he's even giving TROLLS a bad name!) :eek:[/QUOTE]

the [I]over/under [/I] on his age is [I]13[/I].

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX]Yea, and the Jets have as good a QB as the Colts do. :zzz:[/QUOTE]

That wasn't part of your original argument.

You might want to try posting COMPLETE thoughts -- they're actually quite effective :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they'll be better but there improvement will probably be marginal. I still believe the Jets will have trouble stopping the run. The secondary IMO is even more equipped with talent than any time in recent memory.

I'm just concerned about the front seven........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What kills me is that the secondary looks good enough to really give the front 7 time to get to the QB. If our pass-rush were even decent, we'd get sacks. This pre-season showed us nothing on the pass rush from the starters (CJ Mosley doesn't count). I'm holding out hope that Mangini had them laying in the weeds as it were, and that we'll see more pass rush next Sunday. If not, it's going to be a long season for the defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mosely played a great game last weekend. Is he a DE or DT? I'd like to see him some more with the 1st team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead]Mosely played a great game last weekend. Is he a DE or DT? I'd like to see him some more with the 1st team.[/QUOTE]

he's a DT. He definitely played great this pre-season, and two of the guys he beat last week were Winston Justice and Max Jean-Gilles. He has no shot to start at DT but he might grab some rotation time from Pouha if he keeps this up. I'm rooting for the guy.