Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Yankees Minor League Prospects Thread

The Official Yankees Minor League Prospects Thread

Austin Jackson or Action Jackson, as some of us like to call him is quickly moving up in the rankings.

After a so-so performance in his return to Charleston earlier in the season, something clicked for Austin Jackson upon his surprising promotion to Tampa back in June. Since that time, he tore up the Florida State League before being called up to Triple-A Scranton on Sunday and he says there's more to come from him.
    Jackson is officially replacing Kevin Thompson for the playoffs according to the Scranton Times-Tribune.

Rookie outfielder Austin Jackson will remain on the playoff roster. He fills the spot vacated by Kevin Thompson, who was designated for assignment when New York had to clear a spot on its 40-man roster for Kennedy.
    Jackson was 1-3 with a 2B, 2 BB, 1 SB in his first AAA appearance
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 09-04-2007 at 03:17 PM.

He did also strike out twice. Next year he'll start in AA with Tabata. AAA rosters are very watered down at this time of year. Scranton started Anthony Claggett last night. He's been converted to a starter this year and was pretty average for Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by person
    He did also strike out twice. Next year he'll start in AA with Tabata. AAA rosters are very watered down at this time of year. Scranton started Anthony Claggett last night. He's been converted to a starter this year and was pretty average for Tampa.
    Yeah he'll defiantly be in Double-A.

But Tabata I think will spend the 1st half in high Single-A.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    Yeah he'll defiantly be in Double-A.

But Tabata I think will spend the 1st half in high Single-A.
    Really? The kid knows how to hit, and I think he's more than ready to step up to AA. His hamate bone has been removed, so that problem should be corrected. I expect a big surge in power numbers next year. I really think the Yanks have an eye on him being in the Bronx in 2009. I don't think another half season in Tampa will do much for his development.

Really? The kid knows how to hit, and I think he's more than ready to step up to AA. His hamate bone has been removed, so that problem should be corrected. I expect a big surge in power numbers next year. I really think the Yanks have an eye on him being in the Bronx in 2009. I don't think another half season in Tampa will do much for his development.
    You are probably right.

Did you know he had surgey on his wrist?

You are probably right.

Did you know he had surgey on his wrist?
    Yep that's the hamate bone i was referring to. It's pretty much a small bone in the wrist area that he broke. The bone really is a useless bone, so they just end up surgically removing it. He played with it since end of 2006 and it sapped his power. Other players that have had it removed: David Ortiz, Ken Griffey Jr, Wily Mo Pena.

Yep that's the hamate bone i was referring to. It's pretty much a small bone in the wrist area that he broke. The bone really is a useless bone, so they just end up surgically removing it. He played with it since end of 2006 and it sapped his power. Other players that have had it removed: David Ortiz, Ken Griffey Jr, Wily Mo Pena.
    I didn't realize that. Good to know. The Yankees have a few good hitting prospects that will be knock on the door in the next 1-3 years.

OF Tabata, OF Jackson, INF Justin Snyder, INF Damon Sublett

I also like the chances of one of these guys being Posada's replacement: C Jesus Montero, C Austin Romine, C Chase Weems
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 09-04-2007 at 05:25 PM.

I didn't realize that. Good to know. The Yankees have a few good hitting prospects that will be knock on the door in the next 1-3 years.

OF Tabata, CF Jackson, 2B Justin Snyder, 2B Damon Sublett

I also like the chances of one of these guys being Posada's replacement: C Jesus Montero, C Austin Romine, C Chase Weems
    A lot of people think Montero will just outgrow the catcher position. He can hit for sure and has a big arm, but we'll have plenty of time to track him as he's just 17. We've got a real good catcher in Tampa, Francisco Cervelli, he had a big first half, then showed wear and tear later in the season. It's not easy being a catcher in Tampa, it can wear you out.

Too bad Eric Duncan is no longer on the prospect list. Another bad year. I don't know what they'll do with him next year. Juan Miranda had an excellent year at Tampa and Trenton, and he's on the 40 man roster, so he may be the 1B in Scranton next year

A lot of people think Montero will just outgrow the catcher position. He can hit for sure and has a big arm, but we'll have plenty of time to track him as he's just 17. We've got a real good catcher in Tampa, Francisco Cervelli, he had a big first half, then showed wear and tear later in the season. It's not easy being a catcher in Tampa, it can wear you out.

Too bad Eric Duncan is no longer on the prospect list. Another bad year. I don't know what they'll do with him next year. Juan Miranda had an excellent year at Tampa and Trenton, and he's on the 40 man roster, so he may be the 1B in Scranton next year

You are right I've heard alot of talk about Montero moving to 1st base. I haven't heard much about Cervelli. I'll keep an eye on him. And Duncan... his days are numbered. Luckily for him he is still only 22 years old.

Hall Of Fame
    You are right I've heard alot of talk about Montero moving to 1st base. I haven't heard much about Cervelli. I'll keep an eye on him. And Duncan... his days are numbered. Luckily for him he is still only 22 years old.
    Duncan has his youth and there is a possibility he can turn it around. But that being said, he isn't a blue-chipper like we thought he was going to be, it happens sometimes. The way the Yankees seem to be building, they'll spend FA dollars on positional players and keep drafting pitching prospects. I mean, it makes sense, Zambrano signed an extension and if Santana is no longer gonna be a twin, it'll be through a trade. Teams won't let pitching studs go to FA and mediocre talent will be overpaid in FA.

Trenton wins game 1 of Eastern League Championship Series over Akron 5-3.

Austin Jackson went 2-4 with 3 RBI and is hitting .304 since his recent promotion to AA.

Tyler Clippard gave up 2 runs in 5 innings, allowing 4 hits, but walking 4 while striking out 5.

Chase Wright will pitch game 2, Alan Horne game 3

Yankees are sending 4 prospects to Hawaiian Winter League Baseball. Going will be starter George Kontos, reliever Mark Melancon, 3B Brad Suttle, and OF Austin Jackson.

Great news about Melancon. He's the Yanks top relief prospect and is recovering from TJ surgery. He must be making a lot of progress and should be a fast mover through the system

For those that don't know, Yankees sent a couple decent pitchers to Hawaii last offseason, Joba Chamberlain and Ian Kennedy.

Yankees are sending 4 prospects to Hawaiian Winter League Baseball. Going will be starter George Kontos, reliever Mark Melancon, 3B Brad Suttle, and OF Austin Jackson.

Great news about Melancon. He's the Yanks top relief prospect and is recovering from TJ surgery. He must be making a lot of progress and should be a fast mover through the system

For those that don't know, Yankees sent a couple decent pitchers to Hawaii last offseason, Joba Chamberlain and Ian Kennedy.
    Imagine going to Hawaii in the winter to play ball. I would be a pig in ****... We will be lucky to get them back...

Anyways that is great news about Melancon. I could see him in the Bronx sometime next season. He could be huge in our bullpen.

Imagine going to Hawaii in the winter to play ball. I would be a pig in ****... We will be lucky to get them back...

Anyways that is great news about Melancon. I could see him in the Bronx sometime next season. He could be huge in our bullpen.
    I completely agree with you...and this is all Cashman. I definitely think he's putting Melancon there to step up his rehab, build arm strength etc.., so that he can move fast and be up in mid to late summer.

I also think Cashman loves Ohlendorf, and that guy definitely has a power arm. Supposedly demanded him in the RJ trade. After struggling as a starter, they made the wise move and converted him to the pen.. He has command to issues work out, but his raw stuff is filthy, mid 90s fastball, power sinker. I would not be surprised to see him make the team out of ST. The likes of Britton, Bruney, Veras are just stop gaps, the real future of the bullpen will show its face in the next couple of years....well Edwar is one keeper for sure.

Oh one other thing about your first sentence...Actually, Christian Garcia pitched there last year and supposedly was enjoying it a little too much. He wasn't pitching well but supposedly loved his off field time, can we blame him??

That kid had a rep as a bit of a partyboy, but supposedly Clemens helped in his turnaround. He's another one recovering from TJ, but Clemens and him spoke at length in Tampa and he's now working his butt off. He's got an arm that compares to anyone in the system. Nasty curve, mid 90's heat.

All League

If you guys want, me and my buddy found a way to get Gameday(ya know, mlb gameday) for HWL games, I'll gladly give you guys the link if you want to follow some of their games.

Quote Originally Posted by MetsJetsRebels
    If you guys want, me and my buddy found a way to get Gameday(ya know, mlb gameday) for HWL games, I'll gladly give you guys the link if you want to follow some of their games.
    That would be great...

I just want to add that Boston's system is fast becoming depleted. Their #1 prospect is their man pitching tonight Buccholz, and that's a great #1 prospect. #2 would be Ellsbury, he'll be one of those thorns in the side, pesky, etc....but nothing scary...After that, they are really starting to thin out, i mean zero guys with huge potential to impact their roster in the next couple years.

Yanks have actually gone through our rebuilding phase, yet nobody actually knew it....people thought the Yanks would go through their runs of world series and then suck for a bunch of years, yet the Yanks bad years still involved winning divisions. The future is very bright and actually already upon us.

I just want to add that Boston's system is fast becoming depleted. Their #1 prospect is their man pitching tonight Buccholz, and that's a great #1 prospect. #2 would be Ellsbury, he'll be one of those thorns in the side, pesky, etc....but nothing scary...After that, they are really starting to thin out, i mean zero guys with huge potential to impact their roster in the next couple years.

Yanks have actually gone through our rebuilding phase, yet nobody actually knew it....people thought the Yanks would go through their runs of world series and then suck for a bunch of years, yet the Yanks bad years still involved winning divisions. The future is very bright and actually already upon us.
    You do realize that the Sox have more young talent at the Major League level than the Yankees do?

Ellsbury, Crisp, Pedroia, Youk, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Pedroia...Thats a very good young core.

And I think Bowden, Matherson, and Lowrie will help them out as early as next year.

Actually....your first paragraph could be said about the Yankees. Guys like Jackson, Tabata, and Betances are years away.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato
    You do realize that the Sox have more young talent at the Major League level than the Yankees do?

Ellsbury, Crisp, Pedroia, Youk, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Pedroia...Thats a very good young core.

And I think Bowden, Matherson, and Lowrie will help them out as early as next year.

Actually....your first paragraph could be said about the Yankees. Guys like Jackson, Tabata, and Betances are years away.
    Pedroia TWICE?? Cano >> Pedroia
    Coco Crisp? Seriously?