Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Yankees Minor League Prospects Thread

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato
    You do realize that the Sox have more young talent at the Major League level than the Yankees do?

And I think Bowden, Matherson, and Lowrie will help them out as early as next year.

Actually....your first paragraph could be said about the Yankees. Guys like Jackson, Tabata, and Betances are years away.

Ellsbury, Crisp, Pedroia, Youk, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Pedroia...Thats a very good young core.
    I can easily counter that....Cano, Melky, Wang, Hughes, Joba, Kennedy, Duncan. Most of these guys are way younger than the guys you mentioned.

Also the Yankees have more pitching that will be ready early next season. Horne, Marquez, Whelan... ect
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 09-19-2007 at 11:31 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You do realize that the Sox have more young talent at the Major League level than the Yankees do?

Ellsbury, Crisp, Pedroia, Youk, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Pedroia...Thats a very good young core.

And I think Bowden, Matherson, and Lowrie will help them out as early as next year.

Actually....your first paragraph could be said about the Yankees. Guys like Jackson, Tabata, and Betances are years away.

Ok, well i see you have named Boston's good young core. I will raise that Cano, Cabrera, Wang, Chamberlain, Hughes, Kennedy....i mean Pedroia is good but not worth mentioning twice like you did.

And i don't know a sox fan that would name coco crisp as part of their young core, he's just not that good.

Masterson and Bowden, yeah there is a reason i didn't mention them. A couple of dissapointments, not on the level of Daniel Bard, but they are mediocre at best. And what about Craig Hansen?

I would not say Jackson and Tabata are YEARS away...i guess technically 2 years is years, but thats it...they'll both start in AA next season, and either/or has the talent to be a september call up.

Not to mention the bullpen arms on the way, Melancon, Cox, Whelan, Robertson, and the starters Horne, Marquez, McCutcheon....definitely not enough spots on the Yanks roster for all them, but the Yanks system is undeniably deep and loaded.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by person

Ok, well i see you have named Boston's good young core. I will raise that Cano, Cabrera, Wang, Chamberlain, Hughes, Kennedy....i mean Pedroia is good but not worth mentioning twice like you did.

And i don't know a sox fan that would name coco crisp as part of their young core, he's just not that good.

Masterson and Bowden, yeah there is a reason i didn't mention them. A couple of dissapointments, not on the level of Daniel Bard, but they are mediocre at best. And what about Craig Hansen?

I would not say Jackson and Tabata are YEARS away...i guess technically 2 years is years, but thats it...they'll both start in AA next season, and either/or has the talent to be a september call up.

Not to mention the bullpen arms on the way, Melancon, Cox, Whelan, Robertson, and the starters Horne, Marquez, McCutcheon....definitely not enough spots on the Yanks roster for all them, but the Yanks system is undeniably deep and loaded.

HIGH FIVE!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    I can easily counter that....Cano, Melky, Wang, Hughes, Joba, Kennedy, Duncan. Most of these guys are way younger than the guys you mentioned.

Also the Yankees have more pitching that will be ready early next season. Horne, Marquez, Whelan... ect

I think Gato just got owned twice in five minutes!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to pile on, but I want to put my own two cents down here too. Melky, Cano, Wang, Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy, Edwar Ramirez. Shelley Duncan to an extent too, as he'll be a bench player for the Yanks next year.

Bowden had an average year at AA this year. Where's Lowrie going to play? I assume you meant Masterson? Yeah, he might help them out of the pen someday.

Yeah, those 3 guys are years away. Jackson might be ready by 2009. Tabata 2010. Betances 2011. Horne, Marquez, Ohlendorf, Steven Jackson, JB Cox, Mark Melancon, David Robertson, and Daniel McCutchen all have a chance to help the Yankees pitching next year (and Humberto Sanchez possibly in the 2nd half of the season). Brett Gardner and Juan Miranda are the two position players with a chance of getting the callup next year.

By the way, Austin Jackson may be ready earlier than 2009. He made major strides this year and has legit star potential. He might start the year in AAA so who knows... But, of course, when he gets the callup, it'll be to play on an everyday basis, so I don't see a spot for him for next year, and he needs to work on his CF defense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...es/264954.html

Florida State League Top 20 Prospects List:

TOP 20 PROSPECTS
    1. Jay Bruce, of, Sarasota Reds
    2. Cameron Maybin, of, Lakeland Flying Tigers (Tigers)
    3. Jake McGee, lhp, Vero Beach Devil Rays
    4. Wade Davis, rhp, Vero Beach Devil Rays
    5. Johnny Cueto, rhp, Sarasota Reds
    6. Carlos Carrasco, rhp, Clearwater Threshers (Phillies)
    7. Ian Kennedy, rhp, Tampa Yankees
    8. Deolis Guerra, rhp, St. Lucie Mets
    9. Jose Tabata, of, Tampa Yankees

10. Austin Jackson, of, Tampa Yankees

11. Chris Volstad, rhp, Jupiter Hammerheads (Marlins)
    12. Alcides Escobar, ss, Brevard County Manatees (Brewers)
    13. Tyler Colvin, of, Daytona Cubs
    14. Josh Outman, lhp, Clearwater Threshers (Phillies)
    15. Adam Ottavino, rhp, Palm Beach Cardinals
    16. Brett Sinkbeil, rhp, Jupiter Hammerheads (Marlins)
    17. Frank Cervelli, c, Tampa Yankees

18. Eduardo Morlan, rhp, Fort Myers Miracle (Twins)
    19. Jeff Samardzija, rhp, Daytona Cubs
    20. Rhyne Hughes, 1b, Jupiter Hammerheads (Marlins)

By J.J Cooper
    October 3, 2007

The high Class A Florida State League normally is a pitcher's paradise. Teams allow their top arms to stay in the warmth of the Sunshine State early in the year when it's cold elsewhere, and the ballparks, used for big league spring training, are spacious.

This year, for a change, it was two outfielders who left league observers amazed. Sarasota's Jay Bruce and Lakeland's Cameron Maybin were the best position prospects the league has seen since Joe Mauer played for Fort Myers in 2003. They were the first pair of hitters to top our FSL prospect list since Mark Teixeira and Jose Reyes ranked 1-2 five years ago.

"The best players in the league by far were Jay Bruce and Cameron Maybin," Jupiter manager Luis Dorante said. "They're both talented five-tool players."

While Bruce and Maybin stood out the most, the FSL's mound talent was still impressive. The next six prospects on this list are pitchers, led by Vero Beach teammates Jake McGee and Wade Davis. That group doesn't include Tampa's Joba Chamberlain, who would have ranked right behind Bruce and Maybin had he not fallen seven innings short of qualifying.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 10-04-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/264923.html

New York-Penn
    League Top 20 Prospects List:

TOP 20 PROSPECTS

1. Brett Cecil, lhp, Auburn (Blue Jays)
    2. Joe Savery, lhp, Williamsport (Phillies)
    3. Hector Correa, rhp, Jamestown (Marlins)
    4. Daniel Moskos, lhp, State College (Pirates)
    5. Jordan Zimmerman, rhp, Vermont (Nationals)
    6. Ryan Kalish, of, Lowell (Red Sox)
    7. J.P. Arencibia, c, Auburn (Blue Jays)
    8. Oscar Tejeda, ss, Lowell (Red Sox)
    9. Glenn Gibson, lhp, Vermont (Nationals)
    10. Dellin Betances, rhp, Staten Island (Yankees)
    11. Colton Willems, rhp, Vermont Lake Monsters (Nationals)
    12. Yamaico Navarro, ss/3b, Lowell Spinners (Red Sox)
    13. Jess Todd, rhp, Batavia Muckdogs (Cardinals)
    14. Duke Welker, rhp, State College Spikes (Pirates)
    15. Dominic Brown, of, Williamsport Crosscutters (Phillies)
    16. Nick Carr, rhp, Brooklyn Cyclones (Mets)
    17. Damon Sublett, 2b, Staten Island Yankees
    18. Zach McAllister, rhp, Staten Island Yankees

19. Michael McCormick, c, Hudson Valley Renegades (Devil Rays)
    20. Brant Rustich, rhp, Brooklyn Cyclones (Mets)

By Aaron Fitt
    September 26, 2007

The short-season New York-Penn League was teeming with talent in 2007, and it wasn't limited to the usual group of college draftees making their pro debuts. Sure, the influx of college talent was impressive--three lefthanders taken in the first or supplemental first round grace the top four spots on this list--but so was the collection of 2006 high school draftees. In fact, five of the league's 10 best prospects and nine of the top 20 played the season as teenagers, led by Marlins righty Hector Correa, a fourth-round pick in 2006 out of Puerto Rico.

Of course, two other supplemental first-round picks out of Pacific Northwest colleges would have cracked the Top 10 had they not fallen just short of qualifying. Lowell lefty Nick Hagadone, a Washington product, missed by just one inning. Batavia righty Clayton Mortensen, out of Gonzaga, fell five innings short before earning a callup to low Class A.

The NY-P also featured an impressive collection of young, slick-fielding shortstops. Lowell teenagers Oscar Tejeda and Yamaico Navarro cracked the Top 20. Williamsport's Freddy Galvis (who was just 17), Auburn's Luis Sanchez and Hudson Valley's Shawn O'Malley all garnered plaudits for their superb glovework--though all have a long way to go offensively and didn't make the list. State College's Brian Friday was another quality shortstop and had a more polished bat, thanks to three strong years at Rice.Friday had a strong case for breaking into the Top 20, but competition this year was thick. Other players who would have been worthy of spots in most years include Williamsport righthander Drew Naylor, Aberdeen lefty Zach Britton, Auburn lefty Mark Rzepczynski, Tri-City outfielder Collin DeLome and State College outfielder Austin McClune.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/264872.html

Gulf Coast League Top 20 Prospects List:

TOP 20 PROSPECTS
    1. Michael Burgess, of, Nationals
    2. Jesus Montero, c, Yankees
    3. Ben Revere, of, Twins
    4. Che-Husan Lin, of, Red Sox
    5. John Tolisano, 2b, Blue Jays
    6. Pedro Baez, 3b, Dodgers
    7. Oscar Tejeda, ss, Red Sox
    8. Neftali Soto, ss, Reds
    9. Luis de la Cruz, c, Cardinals
    10. Andrew Lambo, 1b/of, Dodgers
    11. Devin Mesoraco, c, Reds
    12. Kevin Aherns, 3b/ss, Blue Jays
    13. Kyle Lotzkar, rhp, Reds
    14. Scott Moviel, rhp, Mets
    15. Jairo Heredia, rhp, Yankees
    16. D'Marcus Ingram, of, Cardinals
    17. Deryk Hooker, rhp, Cardinals
    18. Daniel Berlind, rhp, Twins
    19. Angel Morales, of, Twins
    20. Tyler Kolodny, 3b, Orioles

By Chris Kline
    September 20, 2007

The Rookie-level Gulf Coast League is always packed with tons of potential, but this season was difficult to gauge, especially from a numbers standpoint.

Of all the players with a draft pedigree or a solid international background, just one performed to where he stood out among all the rest. The lone exception was Nationals outfielders Michael Burgess, a supplemental first-round pick who leads our GCL prospects list.

Several high draft picks, most notably Braves first-round outfielder Jason Heyward, didn't play long enough in the GCL to qualify. Several others were left off because of a lack of performance or tools.

On the other hand, several sleepers came into their own this summer and bring an awful lot of upside to the table as teenagers. That group includes Cardinals catcher Luis de la Cruz and outfielder D’Marcus Ingram, and Dodgers third baseman Pedro Baez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post

Duncan is like 28 and is not a major league regular.

Melky Cabrera just had a .273/.sub-.300/sub-.400 season as a mediocre defensive OFer...

.306/.353/.488 - Cano

.317/.380/.442 - Pedroia

That batting line is close, but I'd take Pedroia for his better D and OBP.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post

Melky Cabrera just had a .273/.sub-.300/sub-.400 season as a mediocre defensive OFer...

.306/.353/.488 - Cano

.317/.380/.442 - Pedroia

Wrong on many levels. But today isn't the day to argue this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to pile on, but I want to put my own two cents down here too. Melky, Cano, Wang, Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy, Edwar Ramirez. Shelley Duncan to an extent too, as he'll be a bench player for the Yanks next year.
    Duncan and Cabrera don't even belong on the list.

Bowden had an average year at AA this year. Where's Lowrie going to play? I assume you meant Masterson? Yeah, he might help them out of the pen someday.
    True on Bowden. I don't see him as an ace, but he's the equivalent of Ian Kennedy. Obviously Kennedy's moved a little bit faster, but USC/college ball thing tends to do that.

Masterson could start or relieve. He was absolutely dominant this year, and he'll probably get called up to the pen next year.

Lowrie was moved to SS and handled the transition well. He's going to hit.

Yeah, those 3 guys are years away. Jackson might be ready by 2009. Tabata 2010. Betances 2011.
    Leaving a ton of room for disappointment. Tabata has already fallen off both in performance and hype.

Horne, Marquez, Ohlendorf, Steven Jackson, JB Cox, Mark Melancon, David Robertson, and Daniel McCutchen all have a chance to help the Yankees pitching next year (and Humberto Sanchez possibly in the 2nd half of the season). Brett Gardner and Juan Miranda are the two position players with a chance of getting the callup next year.
    I pray Steven Jackson never touches the mound for them.

I really like Horne, Ohlendorf, Melancon (nasty, nasty, nasty curveball), Cox, and Sanchez...but the rest of the names in that paragraph are meh.

By the way, Austin Jackson may be ready earlier than 2009. He made major strides this year and has legit star potential. He might start the year in AAA so who knows... But, of course, when he gets the callup, it'll be to play on an everyday basis, so I don't see a spot for him for next year, and he needs to work on his CF defense
    If Austin Jackson starts next year in AAA he's f*cked. He made huge strides this year, I'm not gonna deny that...but he's still extremely raw as a player. Looking good at High A is really nice, but he'll be tested at AA next year...and it wouldn't surprise me if the Yankees kept him in Tampa to start the season.

It's not a knock on the farm system, but the depth and talent is almost totally in pitching. Jackson...Tabata...Montero...Marcos V...all of them are years away (extremely raw), and have hit some kind of big bump already.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

.306/.353/.488 - Cano

.317/.380/.442 - Pedroia

LOL at Pedroia's defense. Cano >>>>> Pedroia on D. Pedroia has the range of a potted plant and weaker arm.

LOL at Melky being a medicore defensive OFer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    LOL at Pedroia's defense. Cano >>>>> Pedroia on D. Pedroia has the range of a potted plant and weaker arm.

LOL at Melky being a medicore defensive OFer.
    Diving catches don't make you fancy. Melky sucks. He's too slow for center, and his value in the corners would drop tremendously if he hits like he did last year.

*Edit* Melky is also rated highly by BP, but with his body type I doubt he lasts as a CFer. He better start showing some power soon.

You might be right on Cano...BP rates him very highly. Pedroia is above average.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Diving catches don't make you fancy. Melky sucks. He's too slow for center, and his value in the corners would drop tremendously if he hits like he did last year.

*Edit* Melky is also rated highly by BP, but with his body type I doubt he lasts as a CFer. He better start showing some power soon.

You might be right on Cano...BP rates him very highly. Pedroia is above average.
    Who leads all of baseball with assists for a center fielder?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 10-04-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm right about Cano.

As for Melky, he's not a star, but he certainly doesn't "suck". He covers a good amount of ground. He gets to a lot of balls back as well as forward that many wouldn't. He's definitely an above average centerfielder, especially given his arm.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    I know I'm right about Cano.

As for Melky, he's not a star, but he certainly doesn't "suck". He covers a good amount of ground. He gets to a lot of balls back as well as forward that many wouldn't. He's definitely an above average centerfielder, especially given his arm.
    Oh, he sucks. Hitting is part of the game, and an OFer who has yet to top .400 in SLG is scary.

His future for this team is as a 4th OFer. The Yankees better pray Austin Jackson turns into something.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, he sucks. Hitting is part of the game, and an OFer who has yet to top .400 in SLG is scary.

His future for this team is as a 4th OFer. The Yankees better pray Austin Jackson turns into something.
    I'm talking purely about defense now. He does not suck.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Well shoot, by that argument, Crisp does something worse than suck as his slugging and ops and ops+ are quite worse than Melky's and he's close to four years older! So I guess they cross each other off the list, except that Melky, being 4 years younger and just 23, hasn't even come into form yet whereas Crisp at about to turn 27, shouldn't be regressing like he is and is at his peak right now...Pretty crappy peak...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, cause at 23, he's behind the curve....

I'm not saying Melky is gonna turn into a 20 homer, but I don't think he's hitting his peak yet, I think he still has more upside than he has shown. He's not a blue chip prospect, but I disagree that you think he'll just be a 4th OF. I think he can develop into a starter on this team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Well shoot, by that argument, Crisp does something worse than suck as his slugging and ops and ops+ are quite worse than Melky's and he's close to four years older! So I guess they cross each other off the list, except that Melky, being 4 years younger and just 23, hasn't even come into form yet whereas Crisp at about to turn 27, shouldn't be regressing like he is and is at his peak right now...Pretty crappy peak...
    Crisp sucks.

Who would disagree with that?

His D is great though.

At least the Sox have someone who will replace him next year...the Yankees need to wait and hope for someone to move Melky.