Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Yankees Minor League Prospects Thread

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Crisp sucks.

Who would disagree with that?

His D is great though.

At least the Sox have someone who will replace him next year...the Yankees need to wait and hope for someone to move Melky.
    Yeah...... i have a feeling the Yankees like Melky and aren't moving him. His trade value was highest last offseason and they decided to hold onto him.
    Aren't you writing him off a little early? I'm more than comfortable with having Melky as my CF for now.

As for our positional prospects, they ARE raw and are not Major League ready for now. Maybe two years from now it is a different story, but there are sluggers that will make the FA market, but there aren't pitchers that will. I think our philosophy is solid with just heavily drafting pitchers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    To me Melky is in the top of half of major league centerfielders all around. I think it's ridiculous to get on him for his power numbers. He fits the team perfectly. The Yankees don't need a big banger right now. Moving him into CF and Damon over to LF has improved the outfield D immensely. And I have no doubt about the effect that Melky and Cano have had on Arod's over demeanor and comfort level in the clubhouse. Morale usually means a lot in the clubhouse, not saying you absolutely need it to win, but Melky and Cano started the trend of loosening things up, that was continued by Shelly Duncan and Joba, and it's plain to see the team overall is enjoying things.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    To me Melky is in the top of half of major league centerfielders all around. I think it's ridiculous to get on him for his power numbers. He fits the team perfectly. The Yankees don't need a big banger right now. Moving him into CF and Damon over to LF has improved the outfield D immensely. And I have no doubt about the effect that Melky and Cano have had on Arod's over demeanor and comfort level in the clubhouse. Morale usually means a lot in the clubhouse, not saying you absolutely need it to win, but Melky and Cano started the trend of loosening things up, that was continued by Shelly Duncan and Joba, and it's plain to see the team overall is enjoying things.
    Yea....no. Hell no fits too. So does "no f*cking chance in hell."

He's good defensively, but low OBP/SLG guys don't reach the top tier of any position (except pitchers).

Just because he "fits the Yankees perfectly" doesn't mean he gets in the top half of major league CFers.

And why would Melky and Cano influence ARod? ARod has been playing like ARod this year.

You know what helps guys enjoy things? When they win. I bet winning helps keep the morale up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea....no. Hell no fits too. So does "no f*cking chance in hell."

He's good defensively, but low OBP/SLG guys don't reach the top tier of any position (except pitchers).

Just because he "fits the Yankees perfectly" doesn't mean he gets in the top half of major league CFers.

And why would Melky and Cano influence ARod? ARod has been playing like ARod this year.

You know what helps guys enjoy things? When they win. I bet winning helps keep the morale up.

ok first off, give me 15 centerfielders in MLB that are overall better players than Melky.

And you must not watch the Yanks much. The 3 of them are inseparable. They've joined Arod in his ridiculous early afternoon Stadium workouts at times. They are the ones jumping his ass after a big hit. You really think making Arod comfortable doesn't make a difference in his performance? I do.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Duncan and Cabrera don't even belong on the list.
    That's why I said to an extent with Duncan. He's not young, but he has value as a power bat off the bench. Cabrera most certainly counts. Kid is an above average defensive CFer that puts up just about average offense for a CFer. At worst, he has a good amount of trade value.

True on Bowden. I don't see him as an ace, but he's the equivalent of Ian Kennedy. Obviously Kennedy's moved a little bit faster, but USC/college ball thing tends to do that.
    I like to see results myself. I have yet to see that with Bowden.

Masterson could start or relieve. He was absolutely dominant this year, and he'll probably get called up to the pen next year.
    From everything I've read about him, he's going to be a reliever, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Lowrie was moved to SS and handled the transition well. He's going to hit.
    I know. What I meant was, where is he going to play for the Sox?

Leaving a ton of room for disappointment. Tabata has already fallen off both in performance and hype.
    Tabata held his own despite needing the surgery. Next year will be big for him though.

I pray Steven Jackson never touches the mound for them.

I really like Horne, Ohlendorf, Melancon (nasty, nasty, nasty curveball), Cox, and Sanchez...but the rest of the names in that paragraph are meh.
    I like Robertson a lot too. I'm a Brett Gardner fan in a 4th OFer/pinchrunner type of way. He also takes his walks and his performance has been solid so far in the minors. Personally, I'd rather he was on the playoff roster instead of Sardinha.

If Austin Jackson starts next year in AAA he's f*cked. He made huge strides this year, I'm not gonna deny that...but he's still extremely raw as a player. Looking good at High A is really nice, but he'll be tested at AA next year...and it wouldn't surprise me if the Yankees kept him in Tampa to start the season.

It's not a knock on the farm system, but the depth and talent is almost totally in pitching. Jackson...Tabata...Montero...Marcos V...all of them are years away (extremely raw), and have hit some kind of big bump already.
    Yeah, Action Jackson will probably start in AA next year. I have to be excited about what he did last year though. It seems like the athletic ability turned into performance.

I like a lot of depth in pitching. We still have Jackson and Tabata as high potential hitting prospects too. And our last draft got some guys that could be pretty good. We'll know more about them next year, but it was a very good draft. I've almost lost all hope in Marcos V.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok first off, give me 15 centerfielders in MLB that are overall better players than Melky.
    Sizemore
    Beltran
    Ichiro
    Rowand
    Granderson
    Upton
    Pence
    Hunter
    Swisher
    Hamilton
    Lofton
    McLouth
    Byrd
    Cameron
    Matthews Jr. (barely, but power is better and similar OBP)
    Church (should have had a starting job for years now)

Thats not even including guys I like better than Cabrera going into next year...such as Chris Young, Ellsbury, Rasmus (when he's called up), and so on...

And you must not watch the Yanks much. The 3 of them are inseparable. They've joined Arod in his ridiculous early afternoon Stadium workouts at times. They are the ones jumping his ass after a big hit. You really think making Arod comfortable doesn't make a difference in his performance? I do
    ARod. Has. Always. Hit. Like. This. New friends did not make him a better player. The guys a career .306/.389/.578 and you're crediting two rookies making him comfortable with his season? He's going to retire as one of the 5 or 10 most valuable players of all time...but what really got him there was new friends?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's why I said to an extent with Duncan. He's not young, but he has value as a power bat off the bench. Cabrera most certainly counts. Kid is an above average defensive CFer that puts up just about average offense for a CFer. At worst, he has a good amount of trade value.
    Cabrera is a very good defensive CFer whose body types doesn't suggest long term success there. If he hits like he did in '06, he's a damn valuable player. I like him...just not a ton.

I like to see results myself. I have yet to see that with Bowden.
    He was OK in AA at 21. He's been damn good everywhere else.

I know. What I meant was, where is he going to play for the Sox?
    SS.

Tabata held his own despite needing the surgery. Next year will be big for him though.
    I'm not a big fan of a young hitter whose had surgery on his wrists. His plate discipline and pure hitting ability is excellent for his age, but I want to see how he comes back.

I like Robertson a lot too. I'm a Brett Gardner fan in a 4th OFer/pinchrunner type of way. He also takes his walks and his performance has been solid so far in the minors. Personally, I'd rather he was on the playoff roster instead of Sardinha.
    Agreed on Gardner. Robertson I'll look around on...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a big fan of a young hitter whose had surgery on his wrists. His plate discipline and pure hitting ability is excellent for his age, but I want to see how he comes back.
    He got hamate bone removed in his wrist. Yeah that bones useless. This is the same bone David Ortiz got removed years ago.......
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 10-05-2007 at 12:12 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, he sucks. Hitting is part of the game, and an OFer who has yet to top .400 in SLG is scary.

His future for this team is as a 4th OFer. The Yankees better pray Austin Jackson turns into something.
    You where saying?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;2127845]Sizemore
    Beltran
    Ichiro
    Rowand
    Granderson
    Upton
    Pence
    Hunter
    Swisher
    Hamilton
    Lofton
    McLouth
    Byrd
    Cameron

you proved my point. Don't tell me that after the top dozen CF's you weren't struggling to prove your point. You failed. Don't mention Josh Hamilton and Kenny Lofton in arguments with Melky. It's pathetic. Mike Cameron? Nah, sorry. Nick Swisher...don't think so.. I love BJ Upton's athleticism, I will give him the nod, although he is not in Melky's caliber defensively right now...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=person;2128772]
    Sizemore
    Beltran
    Ichiro
    Rowand
    Granderson
    Upton
    Pence
    Hunter
    Swisher
    Hamilton
    Lofton
    McLouth
    Byrd
    Cameron

you proved my point. Don't tell me that after the top dozen CF's you weren't struggling to prove your point. You failed. Don't mention Josh Hamilton and Kenny Lofton in arguments with Melky. It's pathetic. Mike Cameron? Nah, sorry. Nick Swisher...don't think so.. I love BJ Upton's athleticism, I will give him the nod, although he is not in Melky's caliber defensively right now...

Wow.

Everyone single one of those guys outhit Cabrera way more than he outfielded them. Every single one of them.

Why don't we compare?

Melky: .273/.327/.391
    Hamilton: .292/.368/.554
    Lofton: .303/.380/.438 (Texas) .283/.344/.370 (Cle.)
    Cameron: .242/.328/.431

Actually...WTF kind of arguments are "don't think so" and "nah, sorry?" Cabrera played good D, but he hit like a girl. I can't believe I was going to waste my time listing how all these guys bats beat the crap out of his when the best arguments you could come up with were "don't think so" and "nah, sory."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    You where saying?
    That...he's a 4th OFer?

I saw the HR...it was a flyball that took like 40 minutes to land, and not because it was crushed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That...he's a 4th OFer?

I saw the HR...it was a flyball that took like 40 minutes to land, and not because it was crushed.
    I'm sorry, i didn't realize you got style points for longer home runs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason View Post
    I'm sorry, i didn't realize you got style points for longer home runs.
    Melky's problem is power. Hitting a HR does not mean you suddenly have more power...it means you hit a HR.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Melky's problem is power. Hitting a HR does not mean you suddenly have more power...it means you hit a HR.
    You still believe he is an average center fielder? Because you and I both know you didn't see him play an inning until last night. You simply sit on your computer and look at #s

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    You still believe he is an average center fielder? Because you and I both know you didn't see him play an inning until last night. You simply sit on your computer and look at #s
    Yep. Got me there...all I know is "stats" I don't even know what a baseball looks like...that must be it.

I never caught a Yankee game this year...not one...even though thats almost the only guaranteed interesting baseball on TV...I only know baseball exists because of my computer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...milb&fext=.jsp

New York Yankees

There may not have been anyone who had as stirring and suprisingly effective pro debut than Dellin Betances did in 2006. The tall right-handed pitcher was seen as a major project coming out of the New York City high school ranks. The Yankees took a shot, selecting him in the eighth round and giving him close to first-round money. They sent him to the Gulf Coast League to get his feet wet, with the understanding that, at 6-foot-7 and relatively inexperienced, much tinkering would need to happen.

Then Betances put up a 1.16 ERA over 23 1/3 IP, allowing just 14 hits and seven walks while striking out 27. The league hit just .173 against him, and his command was much better than advertised as he proved adept at making quick adjustments. There was talk he'd be ready for a full-season assignment to start the 2007 season at age 19.

It didn't quite happen that way. Betances didn't make his 2007 debut until the Short-Season New York-Penn League got underway, and he made just six starts before being shut down in the middle of July. The reason was forearm tightness, and the Yankees understandably were cautious. Tightness in your forearm isn't necessarily a horrendous thing on its own, but it can be a bad sign of future problems. "It sometimes is a precursor for elbow trouble," explained Yankees senior vice president of baseball operations Mark Newman. "But he had an MRI, and there was no structural damage."

After that sigh of relief, the Yankees sent Betances to instructs to make up for lost time. He hasn't skipped a beat and is throwing just as well as he did before he had arm troubles.

"He's fine, he's throwing 95-96 mph with that big downhill plane, spinning the ball well," Newman said.

Newman pointed out a couple of other players creating some buzz in instructs this fall. Brandon Laird has been flying under the radar even though his brother is Rangers catcher Gerald Laird. The 27th-round draft choice out of Cypress Junior College in California, Laird hit .339 and slugged .577 in 45 GCL games in his summer debut. The third baseman has continued to shine at instructs.

"He continues to be big-time impressive," Newman said. "He's the kind of kid coaches are talking about."

Also along family tree lines, second-round pick Austin Romine has shown what being in a baseball family is all about. His older brother Andrew was the shortstop for Arizona State before being drafted in the fifth round by the Angels and his father, Kevin, spent seven seasons in the big leagues. The high school catcher has plus arm strength behind the plate and a pretty good idea about what to do when he's at it with a bat in his hands.

"He comes from a baseball family and it really shows," Newman said. "He's pretty advanced. He's doing things high school kids normally can't do."

One more under-the-radar guy to remember: infielder Carmen Angelini. The Yankees took him in the 10th round and gave him a nice chunk of change to keep him from going to Rice University. He really didn't play after signing, so the Yankees are getting their first long look at him at instructs. And they like what they see.

"He's a plus runner, he really can defend, and he puts the ball in play," Newman said. "He needs to get stronger and he will because he's got a good frame. He kind of flew under the radar but our Midwest scouting supervisor, Tim Kelly, fell in love with the guy.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 10-11-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Austin Jackson is tearing up the Hawaiian Winter League. He leads the league in rbi, extra-base hits, runs scored, and triples. He is also 3rd in stolen bases.

.314 AVG with a 1.016 OPS.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 10-31-2007 at 12:18 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Betances excites me. Raw kid flame thrower but everyone keeps saying what a quick learner he is.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason View Post
    Betances excites me. Raw kid flame thrower but everyone keeps saying what a quick learner he is.
    He's years away but I am looking forward to his development. Sky is the limit for that kid.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 10-31-2007 at 12:19 AM.