Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrorist plot foiled in Germany

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Terrorist plot foiled in Germany

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/09/05/germany.terrorarrests/index.html[/url]

BERLIN, Germany (CNN) -- Three terror suspects held in Germany planned to carry out "imminent" and "massive" bombs attacks on a U.S. air base and Frankfurt's international airport, according to prosecutors.

Security officers pictured at Frankfurt Airport in August 2006

The suspects, two Germans and a Turk, received terrorist training in Pakistan and had close ties to al Qaeda, according to Jorg Ziercke, president of Germany's Federal Criminal Investigation Office.

The group had amassed 680 kg (1,500 pounds) of hydrogen peroxide to use for making bombs, German federal prosecutor Monika Harms told reporters on Wednesday.

According to Ziercke, the group was united by a "hatred against American citizens" as it planned attacks against Frankfurt airport, a popular international travel hub, and Ramstein air base, a major transit point for the U.S. military into the Middle East and Central Asia.

Harms said the three suspects also planned to attack bars and restaurants popular with Americans.

She said the planned attacks would have been among the biggest yet on German soil. Possible scenarios would have been car bombs used in simultaneous attacks.

Officials said the hydrogen peroxide could have produced a bomb with the explosive power of 540 kg of TNT.

"This would have enabled them to make bombs with more explosive power than the ones used in the London and Madrid bombings," Ziercke said at a joint news conference with Harms.

Harms said the two Germans detained were aged 22 and 28 while the Turkish national was aged 29.

The three suspects appeared before judges in a closed court in Karlsruhe after being flown in by helicopter, court officials told The Associated Press.

"This is a good day for security in Germany," Harms said.

"There was an imminent threat," German Defense Minister Franz Josef Jung told Germany's ARD broadcaster earlier.

The German terror arrests came a day after Danish police arrested eight "militant Islamists," accusing them of storing "unstable explosives."

At U.S. European Command in Stuttgart, Capt. Jeff Gradec said German authorities had alerted them of a possible terrorist threat to American installations, but not specifically Ramstein.

Gradec said EUCOM had no plans to raise its force protection levels in light of the plots.

Ramstein Air Base is located in western Germany's Rhineland-Palatinate state and is about 125 kilometers (75 miles) southeast of Frankfurt. The base is a major transit point for the U.S. military into the Middle East and Central Asia.

Authorities in both Germany and the United States have warned of the possibility of a terrorist attack, and security measures have been raised, according to an AP report.

However CNN's International Security Correspondent Paula Newton reported that intelligence officials have been calling for more cooperation to combat terror plots in Europe, in particular the faster transfer of information between different countries.

Europe is at high risk, officials say, due not only to the Iraq war, but also the NATO mission in Afghanistan, to which many European countries contribute, she said, adding that the Muslim population in Europe is beginning to feel more alienated than it has done in previous decades. "This brings Europe to the battleground," Newton said.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]...two Germans and a Turk, received terrorist training in Pakistan... [/QUOTE]

Typo.

It's supposed to read, "two Germans and a Turk, received terrorist training in Iraqistan..."

Pakistan is our ally. There are no terrorist training camps there. Musharref is good folks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would there be terrorism somewhere besides Iraq? I thought we were there so we wouldn't have to fight them here or anywhere else? Crazy.......

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]Typo.

It's supposed to read, "two Germans and a Turk, received terrorist training in Iraqistan..."

Pakistan is our ally. There are no terrorist training camps there. Musharref is good folks.[/QUOTE]

you sound like one of those whiners who, after finding out you've won lotto, immediately b!tch about all the taxes you'll have to pay....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    more libtard nonsense from the ass-clown....[B]wouldn't have to fight them anywhere else??? [/B] the BS you constantly post is pure comedy....

[QUOTE=cr726]Why would there be terrorism somewhere besides Iraq? I thought we were there so we wouldn't have to fight them here or anywhere else? Crazy.......[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pakistan, gee what a surprise.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726]Why would there be terrorism somewhere besides Iraq? I thought we were there so we wouldn't have to fight them here or anywhere else? Crazy.......[/QUOTE]
    This is the stupidest, most ignorant comment you have ever made. You are a cartoon character.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]you sound like one of those whiners who, after finding out you've won lotto, immediately b!tch about all the taxes you'll have to pay....[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry. I will not offend your Pakistani friends in the future. They do, after all, have our best interests in mind...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]This is the stupidest, most ignorant comment you have ever made. You are a cartoon character.[/QUOTE]

Do you realize ignorant you sound when you make these kind of posts. Really, you shouldnt waste the space on this board. If you disagree with his post explain why. No one cares about how stupid you think a comment is or if you think some other poster is a "cartoon character". Your a punk kid who plays in a band and lives in a fantasy land. No one gives a $hit what your opinion of anyone here is. You simply are not that important.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Do you realize ignorant you sound when you make these kind of posts. Really, you shouldnt waste the space on this board. If you disagree with his post explain why. No one cares about how stupid you think a comment is or if you think some other poster is a "cartoon character". Your a punk kid who plays in a band and lives in a fantasy land. No one gives a $hit what your opinion of anyone here is. You simply are not that important.[/QUOTE]

Ummm....Jet5 and I agree on very little, but he gives respect when it is due...and I would not say he is a punk kid in a band...have you seen how old the guy is... :cool:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Do you realize ignorant you sound when you make these kind of posts. Really, you shouldnt waste the space on this board. If you disagree with his post explain why. No one cares about how stupid you think a comment is or if you think some other poster is a "cartoon character". Your a punk kid who plays in a band and lives in a fantasy land. No one gives a $hit what your opinion of anyone here is. You simply are not that important.[/QUOTE]

Calm down Toonces. I never said I was important. Don't think I am. I did play in a band, but they moved to Chicago to give it a proper shot and I wasn't willing to uproot my family or change jobs, so I'm done once this album is finished. I do play fantasy football, so perhaps I do live in some kind of fantasy land at least some of the time.

His post is absurd on its face - no one ever said that we're fighting in Iraq so that there would never be terrorism anywhere else. That's a joke. In fact, it's so spectacularly stupid that it almost defies belief. It's also not the first time he's posted something ridiculously ignorant or demonstrated a complete and utter lack of knowledge or understanding. He, like you, is so consumed with hatred of conservatives generally and Bush in particular that he often posts nonsense like this. When someone posts like an idiot, I will say so. And I don't care if no one cares and I don't care about being "important."

He's usually a pretty decent poster, just not this time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve]Ummm....Jet5 and I agree on very little, but he gives respect when it is due...and I would not say he is a punk kid in a band...have you seen how old the guy is... :cool:[/QUOTE]

Yes. Hes 11 yrs younger than me. So i do consider him a kid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]

[B]His post is absurd on its face - no one ever said that we're fighting in Iraq so that there would never be terrorism anywhere else. That's a joke. In fact, it's so spectacularly stupid that it almost defies belief. [/B] It's also not the first time he's posted something ridiculously ignorant or demonstrated a complete and utter lack of knowledge or understanding. He, like you, is so consumed with hatred of conservatives generally and Bush in particular that he often posts nonsense like this. When someone posts like an idiot, I will say so. And I don't care if no one cares and I don't care about being "important."

He's usually a pretty decent poster, just not this time.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It [I]is[/I] spectacularly stupid to say we are fighting them there so we wouldnt have to fight them here or anywhere else. But you are wrong about noone ever saying this. This is exactly the BS this administration was selling :

From WH Press Secretary Scott Mclellan

[url]http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/06/20050627-3.html#b[/url]
    [QUOTE]And we'll continue to take the fight to the enemy. That's why we're fighting them in Iraq, and we're not fighting them here at home. We're fighting them in Iraq so that we can defeat them abroad, so we don't have to fight them here at home. [/QUOTE]

George W Bush
    [url]http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/06/20050628-7.html[/url]
    [QUOTE] There is only one course of action against them: to defeat them abroad before they attack us at home.[/QUOTE]

George W Bush (again)
    [url]http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/10/20041025-4.html[/url]
    [QUOTE]We are fighting these terrorists with our military in Afghanistan and Iraq and beyond so we do not have to face them in the streets of our own cities[/QUOTE]

Selective memory J5E????

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]I'm sorry. I will not offend your Pakistani friends in the future. They do, after all, have our best interests in mind...[/QUOTE]

they ain't my friends but I least I can decipher the fact they were not trained by the Pakastani government...

but hey- I understand your outrage; stories like this are a dagger in the heart for the rat-wing who whine like b!tches that the President is losing the fight on the war against terror....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]I agree. It [I]is[/I] spectacularly stupid to say we are fighting them there so we wouldnt have to fight them here or anywhere else. But you are wrong about noone ever saying this. This is exactly the BS this administration was selling :

From WH Press Secretary Scott Mclellan

[url]http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/06/20050627-3.html#b[/url]

George W Bush
    [url]http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/06/20050628-7.html[/url]

George W Bush (again)
    [url]http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/10/20041025-4.html[/url]

Selective memory J5E????[/QUOTE]
    Nothing incorrect about any of these statements. Last time I checked, Germany was abroad.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sarcasm.......

Which character? Most ignorant? Wow, come on now.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]This is the stupidest, most ignorant comment you have ever made. You are a cartoon character.[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

and who are you to say he's not important??
    He has an opinion, he can share it if he so chooses, and you can agree with it or not. you post a lot of drivel too, as do all of us.

"Lighten up, Francis!"

flushingjet
    ?

i thought new bomb turks broke up...

or was that massive attack...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio]Nothing incorrect about any of these statements. Last time I checked, Germany was abroad.[/QUOTE]

Thats right genius, Germany is abroad. Germany has contributed to the war in Afghanista.And England (also abroad) has been attacked since the Iraq war started. I guess "fighting them there so they dont have to fight them here" does not apply to these two allies,huh??

The notion of "we are fighting them there so we dont fight them here" is incredibly stupid. Only a simpleton buys into such nonsense. How does fighting "terrorists"in Iraq prevent a band of terrorists from also attacking us in the USA. Please tell me how. I mean it only takes a dozen or so men with boxcutters to attack and kill thousands here. Fighting a war in Iraq is going to prevent this??? Dont make me laugh!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Thats right genius, Germany is abroad. Germany has contributed to the war in Afghanista.And England (also abroad) has been attacked since the Iraq war started. I guess "fighting them there so they dont have to fight them here" does not apply to these two allies,huh??

The notion of "we are fighting them there so we dont fight them here" is incredibly stupid. Only a simpleton buys into such nonsense. How does fighting "terrorists"in Iraq prevent a band of terrorists from also attacking us in the USA. Please tell me how. I mean it only takes a dozen or so men with boxcutters to attack and kill thousands here. Fighting a war in Iraq is going to prevent this??? Dont make me laugh![/QUOTE]

You are so self-important it is nauseating.