Thread: Here's How the Smoking Gun was Confiscated

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's How the Smoking Gun was Confiscated

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

Security Chief Catches the Spy on the Sideline

Thursday, September 13, 2007
    BY DAVE HUTCHINSON AND RICK HEPP

Eagle-eyed former FBI agent Steve Yarnell -- who has been with the Jets for 11 seasons, the past four as the team's director of security -- sniffed out the Patriots' spy attempts on Sunday.

Yarnell, who was initially hired by Bill Parcells and has also worked with the Giants and Patriots, spotted New England video assistant Matt Estrella taking illegal video of the Jets coaches sending in defensive signals during last Sunday's game and turned him in to NFL security.

"Steve is very good at what he does," said a person close to the investigation who did not want to be identified because of the sensitive nature of the situation. "He watches everything. He can be a pain in the butt, but you want him in a foxhole with you."

Yarnell, who also serves as a body guard for Jets coach Eric Mangini during games, spotted Estrella and confronted him on the field.

Pat Aramini, vice president of security at the Meadowlands Complex, said Yarnell viewed a portion of the tape and saw it was of a Jets defensive coach.

Eventually, security from the NFL, Jets and Patriots, as well as state troopers in the Sports Complex unit, ended up in Aramini's office at Giants Stadium, where they spent "at least an hour" trying to determine who would get the video camera and tape, Aramini said. At one point, there was a discussion of copying the tape and giving the copy to the Jets, but the team balked at the idea.

"The NFL wanted to take possession of the tape and the Patriots said no," Aramini said. "It went back and forth until we got a call from the league that any footage taken on the field belongs to the NFL."

The Patriots did not like the answer, Aramini said, and the team's security representative said New England wasn't going to give up the tape.

"I said, 'I'm in possession of it now,'" Aramini said. "It belongs to the NFL by rights. If the Patriots have any problem they can take it up with the league on Monday. The NFL took the tape and the video camera."
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 09-13-2007 at 03:35 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    As always good find man

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a far different story than what we've been lead to believe.. That mangini informed them NFL..
    The story is taking on to many tales of how the hero or goat is.. To pass judgement on something without knowing all the facts won't help the matter..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    NEWARK STAR LEDGER

Security Chief Catches the Spy on the Sideline

Thursday, September 13, 2007
    BY DAVE HUTCHINSON AND RICK HEPP

Eagle-eyed former FBI agent Steve Yarnell -- who has been with the Jets for 11 seasons, the past four as the team's director of security -- sniffed out the Patriots' spy attempts on Sunday.

Yarnell, who was initially hired by Bill Parcells and has also worked with the Giants and Patriots, spotted New England video assistant Matt Estrella taking illegal video of the Jets coaches sending in defensive signals during last Sunday's game and turned him in to NFL security.

"Steve is very good at what he does," said a person close to the investigation who did not want to be identified because of the sensitive nature of the situation. "He watches everything. He can be a pain in the butt, but you want him in a foxhole with you."

Yarnell, who also serves as a body guard for Jets coach Eric Mangini during games, spotted Estrella and confronted him on the field.

Pat Aramini, vice president of security at the Meadowlands Complex, said Yarnell viewed a portion of the tape and saw it was of a Jets defensive coach.

Eventually, security from the NFL, Jets and Patriots, as well as state troopers in the Sports Complex unit, ended up in Aramini's office at Giants Stadium, where they spent "at least an hour" trying to determine who would get the video camera and tape, Aramini said. At one point, there was a discussion of copying the tape and giving the copy to the Jets, but the team balked at the idea.

"The NFL wanted to take possession of the tape and the Patriots said no," Aramini said. "It went back and forth until we got a call from the league that any footage taken on the field belongs to the NFL."

The Patriots did not like the answer, Aramini said, and the team's security representative said New England wasn't going to give up the tape.

"I said, 'I'm in possession of it now,'" Aramini said. "It belongs to the NFL by rights. If the Patriots have any problem they can take it up with the league on Monday. The NFL took the tape and the video camera."
    Thank you 4 keeping us up 2 date......Ham I think this will be a ripple that turns into a tidal wave. IMHO
    Last edited by JI; 09-13-2007 at 03:50 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JI

Thank you 4 keeping us up 2 date......Glen I think this will be a ripple that turns into a tidal wave. IMHO
    You're more than welcome JI

If you see an edit that was me, I Just needed to fix a typo .. misspelled "Ledger" in the title

BTW, notice how reluctant the Pats were to surrender that camera/tape?

Even after the NFL league office said the tape belongs to us, they still faught to keep it!!

And those are not rumors either, those are direct quotes from the Meadlowlands head of security {Armini} who was there, it happened in his office, and that is his direct account to the Star Ledger, on the record

Man Oh Man, the contents of that tape must have been brutal ... a slam-dunk conviction and the Pats knew it
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 09-13-2007 at 03:53 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    You're more than welcome JI

If you see an edit that was me, I Just needed to fix a typo .. misspelled "Ledger" in the title

BTW, notice how reluctant the Pats were to surrender that camera/tape?

Even after the NFL league office said the tape belongs to us, they still faught to keep it!!

And those are not rumors either, those are direct quotes from the Meadlowlands head of security {Armini} who was there, it happened in his office, and that is his direct account to the Star Ledger, on the record

Man Oh Man, the contents of that tape must have been brutal ... a slam-dunk conviction and the Pats knew it

I wonder if this was happening while the Jet fans were cheering Chad going down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsully
    I wonder if this was happening while the Jet fans were cheering Chad going down.
    Get new material

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by New York Mick
    Get new material
    Okay..

What distraction will be used to take the focus of the Jets if they lose this week to the Ravens?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsully
    Okay..

What distraction will be used to take the focus of the Jets if they lose this week to the Ravens?
    the same distraction mangini used last year every time they lost.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm closing this thread because SD will post it in his morning newspaper thread