Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Sabres and Penguins to play outdoors on New Year's Day at the Ralph.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

OT: Sabres and Penguins to play outdoors on New Year's Day at the Ralph.

Sabres and Penguins to play outdoors on New Year's Day
    AMP NHL Winter Classic is first outdoor regular-season game in U.S.
    Live On NBC/CBC/RDS/NHL RADIO/XM (1 p.m. ET)

NEW YORK – The Buffalo Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins will make National Hockey League history on New Year’s Day, 2008, when they play in the AMP NHL Winter Classic, the League’s first regular-season outdoor game in the United States. The game features several of the game’s greatest young stars, including Penguins center Sidney Crosby and Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller, and will be played at Ralph Wilson Stadium, home of the National Football League’s Buffalo Bills.

Attendance at the contest is expected to surpass the NHL single-game record, set Nov. 22, 2003 when the Montreal Canadiens and Edmonton Oilers drew 57,167 to The Heritage Classic at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton. Ralph Wilson Stadium capacity exceeds 73,000.

Tickets to the AMP NHL Winter Classic will go on sale in the U.S. and Canada on Tuesday, Sept. 18, at 10 a.m., ET. Tickets may be purchased at all Ticketmaster locations, Ticketmaster.com, as well as on NHL.com, PittsburghPenguins.com and Sabres.com. Tickets also will be available at the Buffalo Bills ticket offices.

That should be awesome. I remember the Candiens played it was soo effin cold that game.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Move to the "this will be relevant to the several hundred hockey fans around the country in 4 months" forum.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mods please move to the "SBIII forum of topics that he knows he should not be posting on the landing strip forum".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Figured I would jump in this before it gets moved and subsequently lost in the hockey forum........

The only thing that would keep me from going to this game is my new baby coming about 4 months early...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    NEW YORK – The Buffalo Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins will make National Hockey League history on New Year’s Day, 2008, when they play in the AMP NHL Winter Classic, the League’s first regular-season outdoor game in the United States.

Not true! Not True! The Rangers played a very meaningful game against a squad of young upstarts, led by none other than Russell Crowe, in Mystery, Alaska! I wish these writers would get their facts straight!

On a serious note, I personally think this idea cheapens the game. I don't like it. To me, it undermines the integrity of the game and confirms what many non-hockey fans already think: that the NHL is a circus side show. Gary "Whatever's Best for The Owners" Bettman should spend more time trying to promote the game through advertising and utilizing it's young stars like Crosby et al. and put these guys' faces all over the media and also showing what these super human beings do OFF the ice as well (charities for kids, camps, etc.) Bettman has almost destroyed the NHL and we need to get him out of there ASAP. We need a HOCKEY man!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It just sold out in under 25 minutes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffboy
    It just sold out in under 25 minutes.

Now it is the greatest outdoor circus on ice. The only thing worse than hockey are the hockey fans who still believe in their hearts that hockey is not a fringe sport.

if someone was standing outside an airport with the stanley cup people would walk by and think it was an ashtray!

The sport is dead let it rest in peace

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken O'Brien #7
    Figured I would jump in this before it gets moved and subsequently lost in the hockey forum........

The only thing that would keep me from going to this game is my new baby coming about 4 months early...
    Id actually love to go.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    NEW YORK – The Buffalo Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins will make National Hockey League history on New Year’s Day, 2008, when they play in the AMP NHL Winter Classic, the League’s first regular-season outdoor game in the United States.

Not true! Not True! The Rangers played a very meaningful game against a squad of young upstarts, led by none other than Russell Crowe, in Mystery, Alaska! I wish these writers would get their facts straight!

On a serious note, I personally think this idea cheapens the game. I don't like it. To me, it undermines the integrity of the game and confirms what many non-hockey fans already think: that the NHL is a circus side show. Gary "Whatever's Best for The Owners" Bettman should spend more time trying to promote the game through advertising and utilizing it's young stars like Crosby et al. and put these guys' faces all over the media and also showing what these super human beings do OFF the ice as well (charities for kids, camps, etc.) Bettman has almost destroyed the NHL and we need to get him out of there ASAP. We need a HOCKEY man!
    Cherry Cherry Cherry!

I agree to an extent about the cheapening of the game... It differs though, in Canada it's seen more of a cultural standing, BUT this isn't about Canada.. We don't need adversity. 100% agree about the promotion, Bettman is entirely clueless, he tries to reitterate how Crosby compares to Gretzky, it barely saved the Penguins, how the hell is it gunna receive national recognition? He plays hockey good, which is great... if you're already a hockey fan... His attempt to get rid of fighting will demolish Canadian support, and the NHL will fall. Nothing would help more than a true hockey man... Gretzky himself would be great, he's an excellent business man, and he is slightly more than qualified as a hockey man... pretty much anything new is a step in the right direction. My idea's are limited to who should be his succeeder, but if it doesn't happen soon, we're gunna look like the original six again.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan_Johnny
    Now it is the greatest outdoor circus on ice. The only thing worse than hockey are the hockey fans who still believe in their hearts that hockey is not a fringe sport.

if someone was standing outside an airport with the stanley cup people would walk by and think it was an ashtray!

Funny story... I looked at an atlas today, and there was more than one country. There's this other country (brace yourself) right ontop of yours... and it has more national support for one team than most of the country you live in. Geography 101 is now over, thanks for your participation.

"The sport is dead let it rest in peace" Ahh, spoken like a true disciple of Einstein... Don't shoot the messenger, he's just relaying the message... I guess I'll inform; Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Norway, England, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, Czechoslovakia, Slovakia and Ukraine, that a couple of Americans have declared the sport dead, even though they maintain 24 teams themselves and turn a profit.

I feel bad for the TRUE American hockey fans that have to hear this repetitive crap all the time, I think it fares pretty well considering the competition it has, and will be even better once there's a new commissioneur. When Ottawa returned from LOSING in the cup round, thousands of people showed up at the airport to show our support... You're free to speak for yourself, but to declare the sport dead is beyond absurd.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Well allegedly the 1940 Stanley Cup Champion NY Rangers mistook it for a urinal and hence a curse was born but that's another story for another day.

But here we have a Johnny Hector fan making his way into the slums of the NHL Talk board to proclaim that people would walk by and think the Stanley Cup was an ashtray. Would that be your family by any chance? They do have big ashtrays outside the double-wide's. Tell me this. How many people do you think would recognize the NBA Championship Trophy? FYI, the Stanley Cup is one of, if not THE most, recognized championship trophy in the world.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, as it turns out, the only thing that kept me from getting tickets, is ticketmaster itself...I had 3 people at work, and my dad trying to get tickets along with me, and couldn't get through...

On top of the fact that Jan 1 falls on a friggin tuesday, and I have to work the day before and after (that's 5.5 hours up, watch the game, 5.5 hours back through the mountains of PA with some possible snow)

Man, I would have loved to be there, but I am not paying the prices that are showing up on ebay.

What was kind of rediculous though, was that the Sabres do their tickets through Tickets.com, not ticketmaster. The ticket event was set up by the NHL, and they put a 50 TICKET LIMIT on purchases!!!!!!! That's right, not 8 or 10, but 50. So, you can almost guarantee that the scalpers made out big time on this event with such a high purchase limit like that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look what i was trying to say is hockey is dead here in much the way soccer is and the fact that they are resorting to gimmicks is proof of that.

I think hockey is a great international and olympic sport but it just doesnt work here in the states for a full season.

I didnt mean to discount all of the great hockey fans to the north and maybe i took the whole cup ashtry thing i bit far but i did think it was funny

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is awesome. Hockey is great and it's even better outdoors. WOOT

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look what i was trying to say is hockey is dead here in much the way soccer is and the fact that they are resorting to gimmicks is proof of that.

I think hockey is a great international and olympic sport but it just doesnt work here in the states for a full season.

I didnt mean to discount all of the great hockey fans to the north and maybe i took the whole cup ashtry thing i bit far but i did think it was funny
    I could care less about including us in your statement, we know we do well My problem is that because of a couple T.V. ratings by channels that would rather broadcast wrestling midgets eating horse intestines, the true fans in America get criticized as a whole, we love our southern neighbours following as closely as the majority of us do . The cup thing was nearly too drastic to respond to, it's one of the most notorious prizes in all of sports, it's been around nearly longer than any award you can name, and has a million fascinating stories, in thousands of different towns. Trust me when I say.. People indeed know what Lord Stanley's cup looks like.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel7
    Funny story... I looked at an atlas today, and there was more than one country. There's this other country (brace yourself) right ontop of yours... and it has more national support for one team than most of the country you live in. Geography 101 is now over, thanks for your participation.

"The sport is dead let it rest in peace" Ahh, spoken like a true disciple of Einstein... Don't shoot the messenger, he's just relaying the message... I guess I'll inform; Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Norway, England, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, Czechoslovakia, Slovakia and Ukraine, that a couple of Americans have declared the sport dead, even though they maintain 24 teams themselves and turn a profit.

I feel bad for the TRUE American hockey fans that have to hear this repetitive crap all the time, I think it fares pretty well considering the competition it has, and will be even better once there's a new commissioneur. When Ottawa returned from LOSING in the cup round, thousands of people showed up at the airport to show our support... You're free to speak for yourself, but to declare the sport dead is beyond absurd.

Hockey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jetfan_Johnny

Why waste time dissing a "dead" sport if you dont like it? By the way, since its dead, go try and pick up some Ranger tickets on Ticketmaster and see the millions available

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Based on all the responses here Hockey must be huge in the U.S.

My bad enjoy your sport!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Based on all the responses here Hockey must be huge in the U.S.

My bad enjoy your sport!
    Well, thank God we have your permission now to enjoy hockey. You probably could have just saved a lot of energy by realizing that the popularity of a sport across America does not necessarily determine it's quality overall. With respect to NASCAR fans, I don't understand the allure, but I don't find it necessary to criticize people who choose to follow it. Yeah, it's a "fringe sport", but since when is the popularity of something a good determinate of it's quality?...to paraphrase Jon Stewart, it wasn't all that long ago that America was swept away by the magic of the Macarena.

Frankly, you sound pretty sheltered and provincial with your criticism. Hockey is a staple of Canadian culture, and in the part of the US where it has caught on (i.e. Minn., New England, and Upstate NY) it has become a way of life in the fall and winter. You can't go down most side streets in my neighborhood without slowing down for a street hockey game.

Not to mention, playoff hockey is one of the loudest, most intense and electric live sporting experiences you will ever witness. Give it a shot sometime...pick a team (pick a winner like the Sabres) and follow them for a season, go to a game or two...you may learn to love it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffboy
    Well, thank God we have your permission now to enjoy hockey. You probably could have just saved a lot of energy by realizing that the popularity of a sport across America does not necessarily determine it's quality overall. With respect to NASCAR fans, I don't understand the allure, but I don't find it necessary to criticize people who choose to follow it. Yeah, it's a "fringe sport", but since when is the popularity of something a good determinate of it's quality?...to paraphrase Jon Stewart, it wasn't all that long ago that America was swept away by the magic of the Macarena.

Frankly, you sound pretty sheltered and provincial with your criticism. Hockey is a staple of Canadian culture, and in the part of the US where it has caught on (i.e. Minn., New England, and Upstate NY) it has become a way of life in the fall and winter. You can't go down most side streets in my neighborhood without slowing down for a street hockey game.

Not to mention, playoff hockey is one of the loudest, most intense and electric live sporting experiences you will ever witness. Give it a shot sometime...pick a team (pick a winner like the Sabres) and follow them for a season, go to a game or two...you may learn to love it.

I grew up in Jersey and a hockey fan, experienced Devil playoff hockey during their first cup run. Stop watching hockey all together when they had the lock out and I realized i didnt miss it one bit. I have not watched a game since. My judgement was for the state of the NHL in the U.S and how doing stuff like holding games outside makes it seem even more like a fringe sport.

For example, I live and work outside of DC in a large company (couple of thousand at this complex) and there was two Capital players in our cafeteria as a promotion selling discount tickets and very very few people even acknowledged their existence. Hockey may be alive and well in the Northeast but it is not the same everywhere in this country.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I grew up in Jersey and a hockey fan, experienced Devil playoff hockey during their first cup run. Stop watching hockey all together when they had the lock out and I realized i didnt miss it one bit. I have not watched a game since. My judgement was for the state of the NHL in the U.S and how doing stuff like holding games outside makes it seem even more like a fringe sport.

For example, I live and work outside of DC in a large company (couple of thousand at this complex) and there was two Capital players in our cafeteria as a promotion selling discount tickets and very very few people even acknowledged their existence. Hockey may be alive and well in the Northeast but it is not the same everywhere in this country.
    That tells me that you really weren't a "hockey fan." More likely, a Devils band-wagoner who got caught up in the moment. "Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player, That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, And then is heard no more: it is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,Signifying nothing." Ah, Shakespeare.

Anyway, I agree with the outdoor thing but hockey is not a fringe sport. Soccer is a fringe sport. You could bring a thousand David Beckhams over from England or wherever and soccer will still be a fringe sport. Hockey is a major sport with a very loyal following that desperately needs a new leader. BETTMAN MUST GO!!!!!