Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing/MMA Forum?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Boxing/MMA Forum?

I've seen it mentioned several times in numerous threads over the past few years.

What's the deal? Do us fanatics have anything coming our way on the horizon?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A boxing forum has my vote. Though I will miss seeing MeanBroGreen on the main page.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im a big MMA guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BergenJet
    A boxing forum has my vote. Though I will miss seeing MeanBroGreen on the main page.
    And MiamiJet.

I just wish we had a place to get good discussions going about all facets, not just threads about upcoming fights. There's been talk about it for a while now and I think it's time. Guarenteed it'd be a popular place.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you mentioned it, I've been riding Sooth for this for a while

hge seems to think that there isnt enough interest to support such a board, but like Rutgers said we can really only start threads here about the big fights but there would be alot more to discuss if we had a place where the smaller threads wouldnt get swallowed up

Another suggestion that I thought made sense would be to combine the NCAA hoops and NBA forums since they have little to zero threads in them and create the Full Contact Forum- Home for all Boxing and MMA threads (thats my suggestion)

lets get some support behind this and see if we cant change the boss' mind

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    HUGE mma fan here think it is a great idea

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    I've seen it mentioned several times in numerous threads over the past few years.

What's the deal? Do us fanatics have anything coming our way on the horizon?
    Mods please move to the soccer forum

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in.

Tomorrow night starts the huge fall lineup.
    Go Kelly! It's time for Taylor's boring reign as middleweight champ to be history. I'm picking Kelly by late TKO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in for atleast a MMA half of it - - would love to do some analysis every week.

Not worth it on the main page 4 people respond and then it disappears.

MMA / Boxing Forum, has my vote.

Make it happen!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by person
    I'm in.

Tomorrow night starts the huge fall lineup.
    Go Kelly! It's time for Taylor's boring reign as middleweight champ to be history. I'm picking Kelly by late TKO
    i'd love to discuss this with you but, I'm holding out until we get our own forum.........

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    Im a big MMA guy.
    Same here. MMA gets me through the football offseason.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    i'd love to discuss this with you but, I'm holding out until we get our own forum.........
    Unfortunately holding out won't get you a boxing forum. I did shoot Sooth a message about a boxing forum this morning though. I don't know how active it would be but IMO it would be worth testing one out.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pissed off...

I was supposed to hear about getting tickets to this fight on monday.

That came and went, so I figured I didn't get them. Today, I get an email inviting me to the fight and pre-fight party.

Now, my friend that I was going to go with is having emergency surgery tomorrow and I'm not sure if I can go.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I vote yes 4 a boxing/MMA forum!

unlike any other sport there would be no down time. there is no off season for boxing and MMA. the guys who visit that forum will have something to talk about all year long.

Get it done

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    UFC Direct TV Special
    Next Three PPV's
    DVD
    Tapout Skull Cap

$120.00

Saw the commercial last night.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not really into boxing, but I'd participate in the MMA part!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately holding out won't get you a boxing forum. I did shoot Sooth a message about a boxing forum this morning though. I don't know how active it would be but IMO it would be worth testing one out.

Berg, please if Approved, have it /MMA

Thanks bud.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    One more vote here for a Boxing/MMA forum. Then we can have our own forum for stuff like this.

BALCO Investigator Claims Sugar Shane Doped for De LaHoya Fight in 2003

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ley/index.html

According to multiple sources who attended an international anti-doping conference in Colorado Springs last November, Jeff Novitzky, a lead investigator in the BALCO case, alleged that boxer Shane Mosley started an elaborate doping regimen in the months prior to a Sept. 13, 2003, fight against Oscar de la Hoya.

As Novitzky explained in painstaking detail, two months before the light middleweight championship fight, Mosley, a client of the BALCO lab, began using "the clear" [THG] and "the cream" [testosterone], the designer substances that Barry Bonds, among other athletes, stands accused of using. Mosley supplemented this with doses of the blood-doping drug Erythropoietin (EPO), a hormone that artificially increases red blood production.

Mosley's alleged prescribed regimen bore striking similarities to that of former world champion sprinter Michelle Collins, who was implicated in the BALCO investigation and was served with a four-year suspension, despite never having tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

Evidence seized during the BALCO raids, which was presented at the November conference, indicates that on July 26, 2003, results of blood work Mosley had done established that his hematocrit level -- a test measuring the volume of red blood cells -- was 44. On a calendar that accompanied Mosley's file, the date 7/26 was circled and accompanied by the word "start" and the letter "e," which investigators believe represents EPO. By Aug. 8, Mosley's hematocrit level had soared to 52.2. "Most men are in the low 40s," says anti-doping expert Dr. Gary Wadler. "Anything over 50 is considered off the charts." That level, Wadler says, is dangerously high but could benefit an athlete's stamina. According to the calendar, Mosley's last dose of EPO was administered on Sept. 8, five days before the fight.

Blood doping -- i.e. the attempt to boost red blood cells, thereby increasing the capacity to carry oxygen to muscles -- has run rampant in cycling and distance running for years, and it's not surprising that it may be spreading to other sports that rely upon lung capacity as well as muscle strength.

Indeed, against De La Hoya, Mosley won a unanimous decision, largely because of his strong finish to the 12-round fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. As SI boxing writer Richard Hoffer wrote at the time, "[Mosley] did curry favor with the judges by landing the harder punches, beginning in the ninth round and culminating in a vicious 12th that had De La Hoya nearly dead on his feet, his mouth gaping horribly."

Mosley was subpoenaed in the BALCO investigation and testified to law enforcement officials in the fall of 2003, though he has denied ever taking banned substances and has never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, including EPO. Wadler asserts that there is an accurate urine test for EPO, but the Nevada State Athletic Commission does not administer it.

Keith Kizer, executive director of the commission, claims that "about five years ago there were discussions about EPO... but it seemed like something that probably wasn't going to be used by boxers." Kizer says that, faced with so-called "non-analytical" evidence of a boxer taking an EPO regimen leading up to a fight, the commission would consider disciplinary action and possibly deny the athlete a request for a future license.

Adding an ironic twist to this saga, barely a year after Mosley defeated De La Hoya, the two became business partners. In Mosley's upcoming WBC welterweight title fight Nov. 10 against Miguel Cotto, he will be represented by De La Hoya's company, Golden Boy Promotions. Mosley did not respond to messages left with his publicist seeking comment.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    larry merchant is on Max kellerman ESPN 1050 now. interesting commantary but this guy is so old and talks so sllloooooowwwww he kills me