Thread: NHL Suspends Flyers' Downie 20 games for hit on McAmmond

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

NHL Suspends Flyers' Downie 20 games for hit on McAmmond

Serves him right...it was a blatant dirty hit....no room for that kind of stuff...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3040983

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downie has been all over the AHL hes a mindless jackass, that hit was one of the worst I have seen.

here is a piece from ESPN from 2006 about cheap shots in hockey.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wOAxYWeQWxE

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was a ridiculous hit, the 20 game suspension should be enforced after he's done sitting out the same length of McAmmonds injury. This kid better use that time to re-think his game, his minor career along with this pre-season game is a clear indication he's not ready to mature into a respectable athlete. In the Ottawa paper there was a quote from Brian Murray saying he wants his team to play physical but wants to keep the headhunting out of it entirely, I can't quote the exact words... It was a good para-phrase though, this game is meant to be tough and gritty, but keep the peices of **** out of it or no one will be left.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's actually kind of harsh how this happens....he gets sent down to the Phantoms, where he can't play for 20 games...meanwhile, the Flyers have to not only take the cap hit for him being on the roster, but they also have to take the roster hit for the first 20 games, regardless of whether he is up with the big club or not...

That hurts...all over a meaningless preseason game.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken O'Brien #7 View Post
    It's actually kind of harsh how this happens....he gets sent down to the Phantoms, where he can't play for 20 games...meanwhile, the Flyers have to not only take the cap hit for him being on the roster, but they also have to take the roster hit for the first 20 games, regardless of whether he is up with the big club or not...

I didn't realize that but actually I think it's justifiable. It sends a message to all teams that the NHL won't tolerate goonery and there's a price to pay for employing individuals whose primary skill is mindless thugery and goonism.

Note: I don't believe "goonery," "thugery" or "goonism are actual words.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken O'Brien #7 View Post

Okay... the GAME was meaningless, how about the guy that is sitting out with a concussion? I'm pretty sure he's worth something. It is entirely justifiable, and I would expect the exact same for any and everyone that does this. There's a difference between the mean enforcer, and the retard throwing dirty hits to intentionally injure. Philly signed him, Philly pays him, Philly suffers consequences for his on-ice action. Almost every time Ottawa and Philly play there is fines to both coaches, and alot of stupid penalties and suspensions, I would say this is nothing new, but this was way out of line, as was Havlat kicking Recchi... It's fair, and it sends a message to clubs to make the players play with their heads... Eric Belanger also had a hissy fit to the media that players should have a vote on the penalty for dirty hits (he plays in minnesota). These guys don't want to get hit like that (Not unlike most of us) and they shouldn't be... lesson learned for Downie and Philly.