Thread: Paulie Mag.....

Paulie Mag.....

Ok I am a novice with boxing, and hoping to learn more now that we have a forum dedicated to it.

I have watched this kid fight a few times, vs. Cotto and his recent match where he won the belt.

I am not sure if I necc. like him as a fighter. Am I missing something, what is so special about him. I don't get it.

Hall Of Fame
    Paulie was highly touted as a very skilled technical boxer, he was undefeated when he faced Cotto and took a big step up in class to do so

we learned alot about him in that fight

the good

He is tough as nails and has no quit in his heart as he took a tremendous beating from Cotto where he got cut and dropped for the first time in his career in the very early rounds (2nd I believe)

He has the stamina to last 12 rounds while evading and staying alive, word was that he also had broken ribs and a fractured orbital bone in his face

the bad

he may be a bleeder

he has absolutely zero power in his punches

overall I am indifferent on paulie, the guy proved to me that he has tremendous heart and I will always give him that, but at 140 I like my fighters with some pop. he definitely has some boxing skills and will win a few fights but he probably doesnt have what it takes to go to war again with a slugger like Cotto, but then again noone at 140 could withstand his onslaughts so maybe Cotto is more of an abberation at 140 than most other fighters

Hall Of Fame
    Oh, I also forgot to mention that his hair can stay spiked for 12 rounds

that's natural talent that can't be taught

he is good boxer, simply no pop. But right now he is in the absolute best division for him. He's a top 3 fighter at 140. I think only Junior Witter or Hatton could compete with him. His best bet is to lure some of the top 135 pounders up for a lucrative fight, someone like Juan Diaz or Casamayor.

He also has a chronic problem with his right hand. I think he broke it bad once and had surgery, set him back about a year. A fragile hand and little power, but just like what's already been said, the lower the weight class he's in the better off he is. I heard he recently called out Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. I'm not sure where that went though.

Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    he is good boxer, simply no pop. But right now he is in the absolute best division for him. He's a top 3 fighter at 140. I think only Junior Witter or Hatton could compete with him. His best bet is to lure some of the top 135 pounders up for a lucrative fight, someone like Juan Diaz or Casamayor.
    Stole my thunder...

I'd like to see him fight Katsidis, although I think the latter would probably knock his head off. He has serious punching power and put Amonsot into retirement.

Katsidis is also a bleeder, though, so the fight wouldn't be for the faint of heart.

Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    He also has a chronic problem with his right hand. I think he broke it bad once and had surgery, set him back about a year. A fragile hand and little power, but just like what's already been said, the lower the weight class he's in the better off he is. I heard he recently called out Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. I'm not sure where that went though.

that would've been great, but Chavez priced himself out...basically he knew Paulie might make him look bad at this point in his career. But Chavez may finally make his HBO debut in March on BAD against Alfonso Gomez. About time he steps up!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiJet View Post
    Stole my thunder...

I'd like to see him fight Katsidis, although I think the latter would probably knock his head off. He has serious punching power and put Amonsot into retirement.

Katsidis is also a bleeder, though, so the fight wouldn't be for the faint of heart.
    I dont think Paulie can make anyone bleed

Hall Of Fame
    just announced that Paulie will be giving N Dou a rematch on the Hatton undercard, see other thread