Thread: Ring Magazine's P4P list

Hall Of Fame

Ring Magazine's P4P list

Top Ten Pound For Pound Best Pro Boxer as ranked by Ring Magazine
    Ranks provided by thering-online (Oct 3, 2007) Doghouse Boxing

Many fans, critics and writers choose the Ring Magazine Rankings / Ratings over other sources. Check back with DoghouseBoxing weekly for an updated list. This list is for the period ending September 30, 2007.

The Ring Ratings are compiled by the magazine's editorial board, and also with the participation of The Ring Ratings Panel of boxing journalists from around the globe.

The list provided by and compiled by Ring Magazine (thering-online.com) are listed from Top placement to the 10th placement. At the bottom of the list we've provided a link to the Top fighters as ranked by Ring Magazine for each Weight Division. You can Check out the Top fighters for each division for the period ending September 30, 2007.

For Period Ended September 30, 2007
    POUND-FOR-POUND

1. FLOYD MAYWEATHER

WELTERWEIGHT
    2. MANNY PACQUIAO
    JUNIOR LIGHTWEIGHT
    3. JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ
    JUNIOR LIGHTWEIGHT
    4. BERNARD HOPKINS
    LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT
    5. ISRAEL VAZQUEZ
    JUNIOR FEATHERWEIGHT
    6. WINKY WRIGHT
    MIDDLEWEIGHT
    7. RAFAEL MARQUEZ
    JUNIOR FEATHERWEIGHT
    8. JOE CALZAGHE
    SUPER MIDDLEWEIGHT
    9. RICKY HATTON
    JUNIOR WELTERWEIGHT
    10. MIGUEL COTTO
    WELTERWEIGHT

Hall Of Fame
    Pretty solid list, the only issues I have with it are that Hatton and Calzaghe have no business being ahead of Cotto

Seriously Calzaghe's biggest win is over Peter Manfredo and he's #8 in the world???? WTF? Kessler is gonna beat his azz and then what?

Also Hatton doesn't deserve the ranking he got after barely escaping welter with his life and then beating a decrepit Castillo.....again another fighter about to lose badly in the near future

Hatton ahead of Cotto makes zero sense.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post
    Hatton ahead of Cotto makes zero sense.
    did you hear the Oscar bought the Ring a few weeks ago??

It is now owned by a subsidiary of GBP...........

hope this doesn't damage their credibility, kinda sucks that the last belts that mean something and have stayed away from the politics is now owned by one of the sports biggest promoters

Hall Of Fame
    I have never been a fan of ranking boxers out of their weight class. That said, the list is pretty solid. It is hard to argue against the people on the list, though I think you can debate the order a little bit.

BTW, Winky Wright is just one of the best sports names ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green View Post
    did you hear the Oscar bought the Ring a few weeks ago??

It is now owned by a subsidiary of GBP...........

hope this doesn't damage their credibility, kinda sucks that the last belts that mean something and have stayed away from the politics is now owned by one of the sports biggest promoters
    That might explain why Hopkins is so high, which I don't agree with either.

Pretty solid list, the only issues I have with it are that Hatton and Calzaghe have no business being ahead of Cotto

Seriously Calzaghe's biggest win is over Peter Manfredo and he's #8 in the world???? WTF? Kessler is gonna beat his azz and then what?

Also Hatton doesn't deserve the ranking he got after barely escaping welter with his life and then beating a decrepit Castillo.....again another fighter about to lose badly in the near future
    I would argue that Calzaghe's win over Lacy was a huge win, and one of the best boxing performances I have ever seen.

Granted, Calzaghe has defended against a lot of nobodies the last 10 years but he has still be champion for 10 years and he has some solid wins. He shut out Jeff Lacy, that was dominance. Lacy had been looking dominating leading up to that fight.

I would probably give Cotto the edge because he has beat an impressive list of fighters the last few years, looking better in each fight. He really has been properly managed.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mallamalla View Post
    I would argue that Calzaghe's win over Lacy was a huge win, and one of the best boxing performances I have ever seen.
    yeah you're right he dominated Lacy and shocked alot of people that night, but was Lacy just a fraud? What has HE done since???

10 years is a long time but Hopkins wasnt on any list until he beat Tito and he had reigned against alot of unknowns for a long time as well, but at kleast they were fights in the US, who knows who Calzaghe was fighting in Europe, he has never fought on US soil......

if he beats Kessler then he absolutely deserves taht ranking but I bet Mikkel pulls that mask off Joe that night

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    Granted, Calzaghe has defended against a lot of nobodies the last 10 years but he has still be champion for 10 years and he has some solid wins. He shut out Jeff Lacy, that was dominance. Lacy had been looking dominating leading up to that fight.

I would probably give Cotto the edge because he has beat an impressive list of fighters the last few years, looking better in each fight. He really has been properly managed.
    yeah he has, he's been brought along perfectly, each fight has been a slight ut not huge step up and he has impressed each step along the way, still has a way to go before being a great champion, but after Shane the sky is the limit

All League
    yeah he has, he's been brought along perfectly, each fight has been a slight ut not huge step up and he has impressed each step along the way, still has a way to go before being a great champion, but after Shane the sky is the limit
    No it's not. Miggy gets hit way too much to keep his winning ways going for much longer. Before you know it, he'll be a shot fighter.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    No it's not. Miggy gets hit way too much to keep his winning ways going for much longer. Before you know it, he'll be a shot fighter.
    the only welter that can beat him is Floyd, period

All League
    the only welter that can beat him is Floyd, period
    I can't wait to see if you're right. I really believe Shane will take him out though.