Thread: Jeff Lacy vs. Peter Manfredo

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeff Lacy vs. Peter Manfredo

LACY TO RETURN VS. MANFREDO?
    By Brad Cooney

A very reliable source has informed Boxingtalk that a fight between former IBF super middleweight titlist Jeff Lacy and Peter Manfredo, Jr. is in the works. According to the source, HBO has accepted the fight and it's just a matter of putting together a date for the match to take place. STAY TUNED!

boxingtalk.com

good to see lacy back.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    manfredo is a bum

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LightsOut View Post
    LACY TO RETURN VS. MANFREDO?
    By Brad Cooney

A very reliable source has informed Boxingtalk that a fight between former IBF super middleweight titlist Jeff Lacy and Peter Manfredo, Jr. is in the works. According to the source, HBO has accepted the fight and it's just a matter of putting together a date for the match to take place. STAY TUNED!

boxingtalk.com

good to see lacy back.

Why would HBO want this fight? Perhaps for Boxing After Dark?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    Why would HBO want this fight? Perhaps for Boxing After Dark?

i've been wondering that. But, it makes a good Boxing After Dark UNDERCARD, or even a PPV undercard...it's definitely not deserving of being a Boxing After Dark main event, it's a great ESPN2 fight.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lacy signs multifight deal with Golden Boy Promotions through 2009

By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com

Former super middleweight titlist Jeff Lacy was hanging around the Golden Boy Promotions co-promoted Manny Pacquiao-Marco Antonio Barrera fight last week in Las Vegas. Now, we know why.

Lacy was at Mandalay Bay to meet with officials from Oscar De La Hoya's company and to sign a multifight promotional deal that will take him through 2009.

"I've followed Jeff's career since he was an amateur and I always considered him not only one of the most talented fighters out there, but one of the most exciting," De La Hoya said in announcing the signing. "The fans will be in for a treat every time he steps into the ring, and we're proud to have him on our team."

Lacy's first fight under the deal will be on the Dec. 8 Floyd Mayweather-Ricky Hatton HBO PPV undercard, Golden Boy's Eric Gomez told ESPN.com.

Lacy's probable opponent will be Peter Manfredo Jr. of first-season "Contender" fame, according to "Contender" promoter Jeff Wald.

"It's not done yet, but we're trying to work it out," Wald told ESPN.com. "It will be great fight. Both fighters want it and we've already accepted a proposal. It's not up to us though. I think Jeff and Golden Boy are working out their deal. But we would love to have the fight. We love working with Golden Boy."

Lacy (22-1, 17 KOs), a 2000 U.S. Olympian from St. Petersburg, Fla., made four title defenses before losing his 168-pound title via lopsided decision to Joe Calzaghe in March 2006 in England.

Lacy, 30, rebounded to outpoint Vitaly Tyspko in December, but he suffered a severe left shoulder injury in the fight, had surgery and hasn't fought since. He's anxious to get on with his career.

"This was the perfect fit for me at this point in my career and I'm excited about joining the other great fighters on the Golden Boy Promotions team," said Lacy, who said he weighs about 180 pounds and that his shoulder feels strong. "I'm looking forward to getting back in the ring and showing everyone that I'm one of the best fighters in the world today. Most importantly, I want my title back, and I'm going get it in 2008."

If the deal for the Manfredo fight is completed, it will match fighters who were both beaten by Calzaghe. In his first world title bid, Manfredo was stopped in the third round in April in Wales.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never been impressed by Lacy. Granted, I've only watched him fight a handful of times, but he just seems so overrated to me. Calzaghe destroyed him; I'm just not sure how much he has left.