View Poll Results: If the Yankees Go out in the ALDS for the third consecutive year

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Retain Joe Torre as Manager

5 25.00%
  • Replace Joe Torre with Joe Girardi

10 50.00%
  • Replace Joe Torre with Don Mattingly

2 10.00%
  • Replace Joe Torre with someone else

3 15.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Question for Yankee fans Only

Serious Question for Yankee fans Only

Assuming the Yankees go out in the ALDS for the third consecutive year, what do you suggest we do at manager?
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 10-06-2007 at 12:43 AM.

I bring Joe back, period. The offense now showing up... is not his fault. He is the perfect manager for this team in this city.

I'm just not to sure he will want to come back.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post

I bring Joe back, period. The offense now showing up... is not his fault. He is the perfect manager for this team in this city.

I'm just not to sure he will want to come back.....
    I LOVE JOE TORRE

I'd Give him a plaque in monument park and retire his number immediately

IMO he's on the Mount Rushmore of Yankee Managers, right there with Huggins, McCarthy and Stengel

But if the Yankees go out in the ALDS this year I think it's time to turn the page .. Torre is not getting any younger and the job is not getting any easier .. we eventually turned the page from Joe McCarthy and Casey Stengel, and IMO now would be the time to do likewise with Torre .. it's just not working like it used too, and I'm not blaming Torre for that, but it might be time for NEW BLOOD and I really like Joe Girardi as a Manager, and we definitely lose Girardi who can be here for a long time if we don't hire him this year

At most Torre will Manage another year or two, at most, so even if I thought he should stay it would still make long-term sense to cut bait now if you don't want to lose Girardi .. and I don't want to lose Girardi
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 10-06-2007 at 12:56 AM.

I can't vote against Torre. You might be right... but I won't do it. I have too much respect for the man and In my opinion I think he has earned the right to step down when he wants to.

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

If this season ends Sunday, that’s the end of Joe Torre and probably the end of Alex Rodriguez in pinstripes as well. He’ll take his MVP and look for a clean start.

That could also mean Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera walk, too. Do not underestimate their loyalty to Torre. Think the Mets might want Posada?

Ron Guidry walks without Torre in charge. So might Larry Bowa and Tony Pena. By Monday morning, we could be looking at the start of massive changes.

Is that your blog, Sean?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Is that your blog, Sean?
    No, why?

It's a Yankees beat writers blog. He travels with the team all year.

No, why?

It's a Yankees beat writers blog. He travels with the team all year.
    No reason, I was just wondering .. if it was yours I would have tagged it

No reason, I was just wondering .. if it was yours I would have tagged it
    His blog is very useful. I get all the lineups before hours before the game. Audio from interviews after the game, and a lot of inside stuff. I've been using it all year.

His blog is very useful. I get all the lineups before hours before the game. Audio from interviews after the game, and a lot of inside stuff. I've been using it all year.
    I agree, it is good

I don't tag a lot of websites, Sean, but you're my main man and if it was yours I would have tagged it .. that's why I asked .. I thought it might be yours

I agree, it is good

I don't tag a lot of websites, Sean, but you're my main man and if it was yours I would have tagged it .. that's why I asked .. I thought it might be yours
    Hahaha

I know its Yankee fans only, BUT i have to ask, Do you guys think Girardi could be a good manager for the Yankee team as it is set up. I dont!

I think Girardi is gonna be a wonderful manager, but he has almost no resume and he is an in your face manager. I just dont think that this Yankee team full of superstars will respond to him the way a young team like the Marlins of 06 did

It may set the Yankees back 2-3 years but I think it's time for Torre to ride off into the sunset. I will never forget what he done for the Yankees but I think that it's time to go into a new direction.

All Pro
    I just don't know

I couldn't vote.....I am on the fence big time...I can't bring myself to write torre off...but I am not sure if he is the right guy anymore.

I just hope we get on a hot streak and we don't have to worry about it

Hall Of Fame
    The problem is that I think Joe is a bad in-game manager, especially with the bullpen. But he's got the respect and loyalty from most of his players, so if he goes kicking and screaming, don't expect so easily that Mo and Posada would be back that quickly. They were already put off by how the Yankees handled the Bernie situation.

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

Torre’s faith in Damon, Matsui rewarded

The officials in Tampa either don’t notice – or don’t care – about such things. But did you see which two Yankees combined for six hits, four runs scored and four RBI tonight?

Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui.

The same Johnny Damon who looked finished in May. But Joe Torre kept him involved as the DH then made him a semi-regular left fielder. Damon hit .313/.358/.475 in September and put them on his back tonight.

Matsui is the same guy everybody in the world (including me) wanted benched because of his 15-of-88 slump. But Torre stayed with him and Matsui was on base four times tonight and scored three runs.

People can – and will – discount how a manager handles the personalities on his team. But there are times when it pays to have somebody like Torre in charge.

Don’t think Damon (or anybody else making $13 million) would just happily sit the bench if they’re discarded. That’s not how it works. Juggling all these guys and all their ego is not easy.

All Pro
    I LOVE JOE TORRE

I'd Give him a plaque in monument park and retire his number immediately

IMO he's on the Mount Rushmore of Yankee Managers, right there with Huggins, McCarthy and Stengel

But if the Yankees go out in the ALDS this year I think it's time to turn the page .. Torre is not getting any younger and the job is not getting any easier .. we eventually turned the page from Joe McCarthy and Casey Stengel, and IMO now would be the time to do likewise with Torre .. it's just not working like it used too, and I'm not blaming Torre for that, but it might be time for NEW BLOOD and I really like Joe Girardi as a Manager, and we definitely lose Girardi who can be here for a long time if we don't hire him this year

At most Torre will Manage another year or two, at most, so even if I thought he should stay it would still make long-term sense to cut bait now if you don't want to lose Girardi .. and I don't want to lose Girardi
    How many young arms did Girardi blow out in Florida? Last I heard, 3 had to have big time surgery after the heavy workload Girardi gave them.

Hall Of Fame
    Good point. The one thing that probably instills love from the players is that once you earn Torre's trust, he'll keep trusting you in big spots. It can be to a fault sometimes, but it worked out tonight.

Damon, Cano, and Abreu have been the only consistent sources of offense this series. We need A-rod, Jeter, Posada, and Matsui to get back to form. (Hopefully Matsui's good game carries over)

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    I know its Yankee fans only, BUT i have to ask, Do you guys think Girardi could be a good manager for the Yankee team as it is set up. I dont!

I think Girardi is gonna be a wonderful manager, but he has almost no resume and he is an in your face manager. I just dont think that this Yankee team full of superstars will respond to him the way a young team like the Marlins of 06 did
    He can't be as in your face in NY. He played with some of the guys like Jeter, Posada, and MO. How can you be in your face with ex teamates?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    He can't be as in your face in NY. He played with some of the guys like Jeter, Posada, and MO. How can you be in your face with ex teamates?
    That kind of managing bodes well with a younger team that needs direction and support, not a team of veterans.