Thread: Game 4 - Best Case Scenario for the Yankees

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Game 4 - Best Case Scenario for the Yankees

Here's the best case scenario for the Yankees if you're thinking about WINNING THE SERIES and not just extended it to a 5th Game .. this is the scenario that increases the odds that the Yankees will WIN GAME 5 after Winning Game 4

1. Wang keeps the Indians off the board in the 1st and it's obvious his sinker is working with a sharp/late break

2. Yankees offense obliterates Paul Byrd right out of the box, starting in the bottom of the 1st inning, and I mean a typical Yankees explosion verses the Paul Byrd's of the world in April thru September

3. Wang continues to pitch a gem with his sinker working to perfection

4. Yanks tag Byrd for a BIG CROOKED NUMBER over the first INNING+ and Wedge calls on Sabathia to settle things down .. and the Yankees manage to put a couple-of-few tac on runs on the board with little ball, just enough to keep the momentum and keep the Indians down, while Wang continues to deal

5. Wang gives us 6 Quality innings on three days rest, then hands the ball to Mussina who proceeds to do likewise .. or at least AVOIDS THE BIG INNING and keeps that lead at a comfortable margin, which in turn allows Mussina to TAKE IT THE DISTANCE

This scenario would accomplish the following, and thus increase the Yankees odds of winning the series and not simply extending it only to lose it in five

1. Obviously Andy "BIG GAME" Pettitte will be working on his full compliment of rest in Game 5

2. JOBA & MO will both be working on two days rest as well, thus there will be no reason to pitch anyone other than Pettitte, Joba and Mo in an elimination game provided Andy gives us 5+ innings .. we can use Joba and Mo for two apiece if need be .. and of course that becomes 1+ apiece provided Andy gives us 6+

3. The Indians will have all their chips riding on ONE of the two aces {Carmona} and not both {Carmona and Sabathia} .. having used Sabathia in Game 4, everything will be riding on Carmona and they'll need a repeat performance of his Game 2 gem .. which is possible, but if it doesn't happen their PLAN B will not be ACE #2 {Sabathia}

THAT DOESN'T GUARANTEE ANYTHING

Carmona can pitch another gem and PLAN B for the Indians becomes a non-issue

But IMO the above scenario is the IDEAL {Best Case} SCENARIO for the Yankees in Game 4
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 10-08-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    At this point I don't care about game 5. We need to win tonight and we need to do whatever it takes to do so. We can't worry about a game we are not guaranteed to have.

We play today, we win today.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post

We play today, we win today
    .. dassit
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 10-08-2007 at 02:00 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    did Wedge mention abouit Sabathia coming out of the pen today or something? I could not seen that happening tonight. He's their ace, not going to bring him in after you fall way behind early.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously, we want all that to happen...But the Jets aren't going to win out either... I agree with Sean, I'm really only worrying about tonight unless we're up by 4-5+. Game 5 is a luxury at this point, game 4 is the necessity.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    did Wedge mention abouit Sabathia coming out of the pen today or something? I could not seen that happening tonight. He's their ace, not going to bring him in after you fall way behind early.
    I don't think he's said anything, but I could see it happening if Byrd gets knocked out early.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if the Yankees knock Byrd out in an inning plus, which is the best case scenario I illustrated, the alternative is to completely blow out his bullpen .. either way it's still the best case scenario for the Yankees .. either they force Wedge to use Sabathia {ala the Yankees using Phil Hughes last nite}, or they force him to blow out his bullpen ... or he can just completely concede GAME 4 in the 2nd inning and let Paul Byrd take one for the team, which is okay by me, I'll take an early Game 4 concession in a heartbeat

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Well if the Yankees knock Byrd out in an inning plus, which is the best case scenario I illustrated, the alternative is to completely blow out his bullpen .. either way it's still the best case scenario for the Yankees .. either they force Wedge to use Sabathia {ala the Yankees using Phil Hughes last nite}, or they force him to blow out his bullpen ... or he can just completely concede GAME 4 in the 2nd inning and let Paul Byrd take one for the team, which is okay by me, I'll take an early Game 4 concession in a heartbeat
    Indians do have their #5 starter, Aaron Laffey, on the postseason roster. I'd look for him in that type of situation. Either way, I hope Wang goes 7 and we see Farnsworth pitch the 8th and Veras the 9th....meaning it's a blowout.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im sorry but i think Wedge is screwing this up Sabathia should be pitching tonight on short rest and if that fails you have Carmona to pitch game 5. Lets face it these two are 1a and 1b for the indians this year and if im Wedge im making the yankees beat both my aces

Im a believer that in a 5 game series your 4th pitcher never sees the mound as the starter

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indians do have their #5 starter, Aaron Laffey, on the postseason roster. I'd look for him in that type of situation. Either way, I hope Wang goes 7 and we see Farnsworth pitch the 8th and Veras the 9th....meaning it's a blowout.
    You were scaring me until you mentioned the blowout aspect...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sabathia in no way would come out in game 4 for the Indians. Though whole point of not starting him today was so he's ready for game 5 if need be. If it's a blowout, than Laffey would get into the game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, the best thing that could happen is we win and Joba and Hughes do not pitch in this game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Yep, the best thing that could happen is we win and Joba and Hughes do not pitch in this game.
    No way Hughes pitches. He pitched a lot yesterday.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    best case scenario is Wang pitches 3 pitches per inning and goes the complete 9 with 27 pitches thrown....just sayin

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree. I think we don't want to see Sabathia. Sabathia is a lot more vulnerable than Carmona. I want game 5 resting on Sabathia, not carmona.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    the best case scenario was byrd getting the start...there will be a game 5..not only does c.c. not start but shoppach is now the catcher and garko is on the bench....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Indians do have their #5 starter, Aaron Laffey, on the postseason roster. I'd look for him in that type of situation.
    You're right person, I completely forgot about Laffery

Anyway, let's hope we see Laffery tonite .. that will mean we scored some early runs off Byrd

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    no way does sabathia pitch tonight if it's a blowout early. indians will have sabathia and cormona for tomorrow...although it's my opinion that sabathia should be pitching tonight. indians would just use a mop-up guy to eat up some innings if the yanks tag byrd like that. the realistic best case scenario for the yankees is wang has his best stuff and goes at least 6 innings and preferably seven or even eight if the yanks can puot the indians away early.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think we hit the best case scenario.