Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chad Decision - Not Only Is 2007 Wasted, So Is 2008

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Chad Decision - Not Only Is 2007 Wasted, So Is 2008

Let's take the emotion out of the Chad vs. Kellen threads going on for a minute and focus on the impact of today's announcement on our future.

By the time that Kellen Clemens gets in there this year, if at all, there won't be enough games left to make a good decision on whether or not he's got the potential to be our franchise QB.

As such, it'll take as much as half the 2008 season to validate him, potentially jeopardizing next year's record and will surely not impact the direction of what to do with our Top 5 draft pick this coming April.

This is far more concerning an issue than who gets to beat the Bills or who has the better arm. We're seriously risking our future on this questionable decision. Could mess us up in 2008 and 2009. Seeing that everything the FO and HC has been doing to date has been with an eye towards our future, this is a very confusing and distressing situation.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Overreaction.

There's still plenty of games for Clemens to start this season- 2008 is not a waste.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't agree more. This franchise will pay dearly for their undying devotion to Chad for many years.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. Might as well fold up the franchise.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    id go even further and say that if Clemens is the QB some of us around here think he is, 2008 will be far from wasted, as long as we can upgrade our lines on both sides of the ball.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Overreaction.

There's still plenty of games for Clemens to start this season- 2008 is not a waste.
    2008 will be what this year should be now that we're 1-6. We have to go through Clemens' learning curve next year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    2008 will be what this year should be now that we're 1-6. We have to go through Clemens' learning curve next year.
    And that's the bottom line right there. How much better is Jay Cutler in 2007 because he started a bunch of games in late 2006? What might have Denver had done with it's 2007 Draft if they saw that the guy was a complete bust in the games he started in 2006?

If Chad is still the best option for us to get a win on Sunday, that's not as important as the big picture. Far more important that we validate Kellen rather than finish 5-11 instead of 3-13. Season's over, what are we delaying the inevitable for?

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    I don't know if you saw Jets Extra Point yesterday but Ray Lucas and Buttle said Chad should still be in and Buttle praised the play of DRob and said he's playing the nose fine it's the LB'ers that are not making plays..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly. I am not advocating that Chad be benched for his play, which has been bad. To me its more about taking a long look at exactly what we can accomplish this year, we have no defense, we are not going to win games. Throwing in the towel on the season is not a terrible thing to do if you use the games we have left proactively, that is what Miami is basically doing. But to keep pretending like you've got a shot, is ridiculous.

Kellen should be starting because the ONLY good thing that can come out of this season is him maturing into a capable 3rd year QB that can take the reigns next season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jay Cutler in 2007 because he started a bunch of games in late 2006?
    Jay Cutler and Lienart are both worse this year than they were last year.
    Weak argument.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny thing is if they don't start winning it will be a disaster when the new stadium opens. People are going to be loath to pay the PSLs. Could you imagine of the Jets are a losing team? PSL + Losing team = Disaster. They might actually run the risk of not being able to sell out the games and having the games under TV blackout in NY.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    this is a very confusing and distressing situation.
    SAR I
    Yes,VERY!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Respectfully, the problem with this franchise since 1972 is that we haven't found our franchise QB since Joe Namath.

Just look at the rest of our division:

Dolphins: Go from Griese to Marino, contend for postseason for almost 22 straight years. Even when they transitioned from Griese to Woodley, Woodley took them to the Super Bowl.

Bills: Were the Jets in blue uniforms until Jim Kelly landed in their laps. 4 Super Bowl appearances.

Colts: Were the Jets in blue uniforms until Peyton Manning landed in their laps. 8 consecutive playoff appearances, Super Bowl Champions.

Patriots: Were the Jets in blue uniforms until Tom Brady surfaced. 3 Super Bowls enroute to a potential 4th.

Every team in the old AFC East found their savior except for us. That's why finding him, at all costs, is Job #1 here. I'd have had us draft Clemens and Quinn when he was there last year. The more the merrier.

Until we find our franchise quarterback, we're never going to do what our other AFC East brothers have done. If Kellen's that guy, let's find out before another plum position in another draft passes us by.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Jay Cutler and Lienart are both worse this year than they were last year.
    Weak argument.
    It's not about good or bad. It's about knowing whether you need to worry about the QB spot for the next decade or not.

If you're the Arizona Cardinals and you have the #3 pick in next year's draft, you may know enough about Leinart to take a QB in that spot.

If you're the Denver Broncos, same thing. Enough film in the can to make the call.

What do the Jets do with the #5 pick?

Nothing. Can't take a QB because you don't know what Clemens might be. It's suicidal.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny thing is if they don't start winning it will be a disaster when the new stadium opens. People are going to be loath to pay the PSLs. Could you imagine of the Jets are a losing team? PSL + Losing team = Disaster. They might actually run the risk of not being able to sell out the games and having the games under TV blackout in NY.
    Hmmm, didn't think of that. True, if they are a crappy team when the PSLs are issued, SO MANY people will end up dropping their season tickets.

But, I am sure the waiting list is a mile long, so others will come along and bite at the opportunity to have season tickets, PSL or no PSL.

Good point though.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent point, and a point that makes me wonder why Woody is allowing Eric to continue to do the wrong thing.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cutler didn't start until week 13 last year, and Denver saw enough of him to make him the starter this year. 4 games.

Listen, I think we ALL want to see Clemens, but if he starts more than the last 2-3 games, then I think the FO will have enough of a body of work to determine whether he has the goods or whether we need to go QB in the draft.

Even I am cringing at having to sit in the cold rain and watch Chad this weekend, but the end is coming.

The sooner the better? No doubt. I think the most likely scenario is Clemens starts the week after the Bye (Pitt- damn), given Mangini's inexplicable inability to pull the plug.

But if Clemens is starting by week 10 or 11, I think we'll KNOW whether he is the future or not. 9 games would be better, but 5 or 6 SHOULD be enough.

Not what I want to see, but it appears Mangini has made his mind up and he's not going to change it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Not buying it. The waiting list is a mile long, anyone not willing to pay the PSL will gladly have their seats scarffed up.

It may, however, impact the PRICE of the PSLs, which I wouldn't mind in the least.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is this in the dump?

By the way, my first reaction was to agree, but then I realized something. This is all part of the master plan. Mangini still is the genius we all thought he was and here's why: He looks at this team and see a defense and a o-line that is going to take not 1 offseason to fix, but TWO. So, start Chad the remainder of this year and lose out. Stock up on high draft picks in 2008. Then, NEXT season, give Clemens his shot, let him go through the growing pains and get MORE high draft picks for 2009.

Then we'll have stockpiled talent just in time for Clemens to start playing like a pro: in 2010. Look at it this way- if you start Clemens the rest of the way, you run the risk of him gaining too much experience and going 8-8 next year, thus getting a lesser draft pick in 2009. Don't want that

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Why is this in the dump?

Don't want that
    Who dumped this?

SAR I