Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon FIOS TV (merged)

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images

Verizon FIOS TV (merged)

Seriously thinking about switching. Main concern is internet speed and reliability and TV picture quality. Has anyone switched?

Jets Insider VIP
    Here in Rhode Island, I work for "a company" that provides Fios. I believe that the minimum speed offered for the internet is 5 MBP. Optional is the 10-15 MBP range as well (it goes a lot higher if need be). I actually saw the picture from our Fios TV in one of our training facilities in Marlboro, Mass about a month ago and it's AMAZING! There is so much bandwidth that we can play with, it's TRUE HIGH DEFINITION. I've been told by upper management that Cable Providers have to REMOVE 1 analog cable station for every 2 HIGH DEF stations it ADD, because the bandwidth can't support it? Fios is the way to go. I have heard all good things about it. A friend of mine switched to "us" from Cox Cable and he says there's no comparison. Rhode Island is scheduled to have the TV protion of Fios available May of 2007. It's currently available across America in certain areas where the network has been run. Massachussetts currently deploys Fios, and it's been extremely successful there. Any Q's I can get some solid answers for you if you'd like?

It's not available in my area (it's only available in the northern part of Texas), but it looks pretty cool.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

does FIOS have nfl network?

i've heard the image is very good - another thing fios does, which cable systems are switching to, is a system where they deliver only the channel you're tuning - in contrast to now, where they are taking up bandwidth with all the shows you're not watching.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Green Lantern 80]Here in Rhode Island, I work for "a company" that provides Fios. I believe that the minimum speed offered for the internet is 5 MBP. Optional is the 10-15 MBP range as well (it goes a lot higher if need be). I actually saw the picture from our Fios TV in one of our training facilities in Marlboro, Mass about a month ago and it's AMAZING! There is so much bandwidth that we can play with, it's TRUE HIGH DEFINITION. I've been told by upper management that Cable Providers have to REMOVE 1 analog cable station for every 2 HIGH DEF stations it ADD, because the bandwidth can't support it? Fios is the way to go. I have heard all good things about it. A friend of mine switched to "us" from Cox Cable and he says there's no comparison. Rhode Island is scheduled to have the TV protion of Fios available May of 2007. It's currently available across America in certain areas where the network has been run. Massachussetts currently deploys Fios, and it's been extremely successful there. Any Q's I can get some solid answers for you if you'd like?[/QUOTE]

What is the fios? I live in rhode island too, and if its better than cox I will swtich. Cox cable is a joke

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE=Mario]What is the fios? I live in rhode island too, and if its better than cox I will swtich. Cox cable is a joke[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to turn this into a RI-only thread, but I want more information as well. I live in East Greenwich.

Jets Insider VIP
    Fios is basically VERIZON supplying Fiber Optic to the Premises. Meaning that a Fiber optic cable carries ALL your signals(i.e. TV/PHONE/INTERNET) to the house. Cox Cable has had the MONOPOLY for CATV in Rhode Island. Currently, Fios is in the areas of Warwick, West Warwick, East/West Greenwich and is being run in parts of Providence, and Johnston.

~ Fios DOES have NFL Network!

Check out this link for more info.....

[url]http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerfios[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Rhode Island Green]I don't mean to turn this into a RI-only thread, but I want more information as well. I live in East Greenwich.[/QUOTE]

The TV portion of Fios will be available to your area in May of 2007. Verizon actually went before the PUC (Public Utilities Commision) to get the liscensing to provide TV to Rhode Island in October. An upperlevel manager who spoke on Verizon's behalf at that meeting spoke to my department last Wendesday, and said that we're looking to get TV out ideally by March 2007, but realistically NO LATER than May 2007.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Green Lantern 80]The TV portion of Fios will be available to your area in May of 2007. Verizon actually went before the PUC (Public Utilities Commision) to get the liscensing to provide TV to Rhode Island in October. An upperlevel manager who spoke on Verizon's behalf at that meeting spoke to my department last Wendesday, and said that we're looking to get TV out ideally by March 2007, but realistically NO LATER than May 2007.[/QUOTE]

sweet then I am making the switch. I bet cox will lower their prices before everyone starts switching.

Jets Insider VIP
    Glad to hear it! Enjoy it!

~ I'm NOT a sales person, I'm actually a technician. I'm not making anything off of spreading a little info! FYI. :D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Mario]sweet then I am making the switch. I bet cox will lower their prices before everyone starts switching.[/QUOTE]when rcn came to my area, veeryone thougth time warner would lower to compete. nuh-uh. they stayed the same, rcn kept rising, in 5 years rcn was the same price.

Jets Insider VIP
    Sooth I have Verizon FIOS for internet let me tell you one thing.....AMAZINGLY FAST. I love it it is awesome.

I have FIOS (20 meg). I work in IT and we have a full T1 line. Fios is faster then the T1. It's the first time I have ever seen webpages load faster than the apps such as Flassh etc.. Pretty hard to explain but it's great. I don't have their TV service though, I wanted Direct TV for the Football package.

[QUOTE=Green Lantern 80]Fios is basically VERIZON supplying Fiber Optic to the Premises. Meaning that a Fiber optic cable carries ALL your signals(i.e. TV/PHONE/INTERNET) to the house. Cox Cable has had the MONOPOLY for CATV in Rhode Island. Currently, Fios is in the areas of Warwick, West Warwick, East/West Greenwich and is being run in parts of Providence, and Johnston.

~ Fios DOES have NFL Network!

Check out this link for more info.....

[url]http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerfios[/url][/QUOTE]

For those on LI, its also available in the town of Hempstead. Not only do they have the NFL network, the offer it in HD. Can't wait to switch.

How much does it cost to have TV + PHONE (POSSIBLY INCLUDING LONG DISTANCE SAVINGS PLAN TO EUROPE) + INTERNET?

[QUOTE=Brain Hemorrhage]How much does it cost to have TV + PHONE (POSSIBLY INCLUDING LONG DISTANCE SAVINGS PLAN TO EUROPE) + INTERNET?[/QUOTE]

Because Verizon is supplying the packgage, the phone part of the bill is going to be more expensive than a Voice over IP Plan. around $60 vs $25. Verizon is a phone co. so they have to charge tax plus surcharges. I called yesterday and found out I could keep the Internet without having to keep the Phone service. So as soon as I find out how to use a TIVO with a VOIP line I will be switching to Vonage for phone.

I have DTV so I can't help with the TV part of your question

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    [QUOTE=SBIIICHAMPS]Sooth I have Verizon FIOS for internet let me tell you one thing.....AMAZINGLY FAST. I love it it is awesome.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a no brainer. ROT IN HELL DOLANS!

Banned
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER]Looks like a no brainer. ROT IN HELL DOLANS![/QUOTE]

Sooth, are you sure it's available where you live? It's only available in a few towns on Long Island.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER]Seriously thinking about switching. Main concern is internet speed and reliability and TV picture quality. Has anyone switched?[/QUOTE]

Talk to my bro-in-law Joe when you see him Sunday. He just had it installed.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    [QUOTE=sourceworx]Sooth, are you sure it's available where you live? It's only available in a few towns on Long Island.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've been getting bombarded with mail for verizon to sign up. That's why I posted this thread. Kinda odd, because Centerport is usually last to get everything.