Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon FIOS TV (merged)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=flushingjet]D*TV is bit-starving/cannibalizing itself until it gets its
    new satellites on line (Q3 this yr)

in the meantime some opportunistic folk(s) are suing
    because they advertise hd (i e 1080i per the jessica simpson ad)
    but are not supplying the full 1080i resolution at any/all times[/QUOTE]

Thanks for supporting my claim and clarifying this issue for me.

I want to dump cablevision we have fios here in hicksville every one who has it gives it raves. Is it true you can't get Kncks and Mets in HD? that would be a minus. I couldnt care less about losing news 12 long island, I have to ask them about some burglar alarm issues. I'm ready to switch.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER]Just an update...got FIOS installed last week and it's fabulous.

The best is when I returned my boxes to cablevision and the woman asked my why I was cancelling. My response was:

[B]"Because the Dolans are the devil and I hope they rot in hell." [/B]

True story.

BTW: NFL Network channel 69.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm praying he has something to do with those legs that washed up by his home. Shoot he's lucky I'm not a disgruntle C.S.I. Jets fan. I'd plant the ****.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=LIDeadHead]Yes. Both the HD box & DVR box(which supports HD) use HDMI. Matter of fact, my installer even laid a few extra cables on me :D[/QUOTE]

OK. I'm sold. I'll have to see what the rates are but damn if this don't sound good.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=papichango]You speak the truth. I read somewhere this guy was suing the cable company for not providing adequate signals for High Definition. I forget how much Bit rate we are suppose to be getting. But what they do is whenever there is a major sporting event. They will pull more of a signal from another channel to accommodate the fast pace of the sporting event.[/QUOTE]it's going to get a lot better when they drop analog entirely - that hogs a lot of bandwidth... also, i heard there's some new tech. that will help too - right now, they have to feed all 999 (or whatever) channels they offer through to you all the time, you choose which to view - but this new way will allow them to only send you what your tuner wants to view, effectively cutting the bandwidth they occupy down by a factor of the number of channels they offer - enormous. like 1/650th of the bandwidth. over-the-air network HD signals are currently the clearest signals you can view. ain't it ironic...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=isired]it's going to get a lot better when they drop analog entirely - that hogs a lot of bandwidth... also, i heard there's some new tech. that will help too - right now, they have to feed all 999 (or whatever) channels they offer through to you all the time, you choose which to view - but this new way will allow them to only send you what your tuner wants to view, effectively cutting the bandwidth they occupy down by a factor of the number of channels they offer - enormous. like 1/650th of the bandwidth. over-the-air network HD signals are currently the clearest signals you can view. ain't it ironic...[/QUOTE]

So we have until 2009 when analog is history??

[QUOTE=extra714]I want to dump cablevision we have fios here in hicksville every one who has it gives it raves. Is it true you can't get Kncks and Mets in HD? that would be a minus. I couldnt care less about losing news 12 long island, I have to ask them about some burglar alarm issues. I'm ready to switch.[/QUOTE]

They do not carry MSG-HD, however they have added SNY-HD so you will be able to see Mets games in HD. BTW, they are also in the process of rolling out local stations similar to NY1 or News12. They launched the Washington DC channel today. Not sure when or if a NY channel will be launched but I can't imagine they wouldn't.
    Last edited by jr17892; 03-30-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=papichango]So we have until 2009 when analog is history??[/QUOTE]no, i think they'll switch to that new tech (deliver only the signals you're tuning) before then. maybe it has to do with the satellite digital, as someone mentioned above, Q3 this year - because i read it's like 6 mos. out.

btw, the cable companies ARE delivering the proper resolution for 1080i or 720p (i.e., the proper pixels/lines per inch), they're just compressing the image quality to minimize bandwidth, leaving artifacts - like a high quality vs. low quality jpeg image on the web - they can be the same physical size (WxH), they would be the same resolution (everything on the web is 72 dpi), but one would look a lot better - it would also be a larger file size.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/JPEG_example_JPG_RIP_100.jpg[/img]
    Full Quality, 81k filesize

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e0/JPEG_example_JPG_RIP_050.jpg[/img]
    Average Quality, 15k fileszie

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/38/JPEG_example_JPG_RIP_010.jpg[/img]
    Low Quality, 5k filesize

Live in Queens and would be interested in comparing packages. I pay over $170 for cable/internet and would like to see what FIOS could do.

Losing NY1 and MSG HD would be an issue, but if I can get a better package for the $$, I'm there.

Maybe can also answer:

-What HD channels do you get with FIOS package. (Nevermind..found channel lineup)
    -What Mbps is the equivalent of Cable internet? (i.e Roadrunner)
    -I don't see MSNBC on their cable lineup..Am I missing it somewhere?

Last edited by chazman; 04-01-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Banned

Verizon Fios

Anybody have it?

I just got an offer in the mail yesterday for Verizon Fios broadband,home phone,cell phone and direct TV on one TV in the house for $99 a month for one year.

This sounds too good to be true,I'll be doing some further preliminary investigations,I hear Fios broadband is twice as fast as cable :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    I have the phone and broadband. Fastest ive ever seen. So awesome.

Practice Squad
    Still not here in Toms River but I want to check it out when it arrives.

I am also interested in the speed, better than cable?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=TomsRiverJet]Still not here in Toms River but I want to check it out when it arrives.

I am also interested in the speed, better than cable?[/QUOTE]
    1000000000000000000 X's faster. I had road runner, doesnt compair. Plus in case of a storm the phone doesnt go out. Has an 8 hour battery.

Actually a few weeks ago, a guy showed on my doorstep trying to sell it to us, and it sounded great, I have Comcast right now and sometimes its good and sometimes its not, and we've heard Verizon is better so we'll see. Seems like the smart way to go, Comcast doesn't do TV much better but Verizon phone and internet are leaps and bounds better.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Not here yet in Bayonne but I can't wait for the day its available. My sister has Fios and she says the service is excellent. My first call will be to Verizon to sign up and the next call will be to Cablevision to come get their equipment. I've just about had it with Cablevision and their inane monthly charges. I'm not even going to get into the piss poor customer service they have. I must admit that CBs internet connection is quite good and it should be for 44.95 a month.
    Last edited by Elvis; 05-13-2007 at 09:32 PM.

I'm getting rid of Cablevision and getting FIOS tuesday. The clincher is the NFL Network, I gotta have it. Wife isn't looking foward to the installer taking 6 hours or so to change all the cable wires in the house but Cablevision and their rotten customer service attitude has to go, also this is the only way I can think of say thank you to the Dolans for their role in queering the Manhattan stadium..

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=bill parcells]Anybody have it?

I just got an offer in the mail yesterday for Verizon Fios broadband,home phone,cell phone and direct TV on one TV in the house for $99 a month for one year.

This sounds too good to be true,I'll be doing some further preliminary investigations,I hear Fios broadband is twice as fast as cable :eek:[/QUOTE]

Fios is not Mac compatible.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I]Fios is not Mac compatible.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE KIDDING.

All Pro
    Anybody know when this will finally get to NYC?

I'm tired of giving my money to Dolan and his monopoly enabling him to screw up the KNicks.

All Pro
    I have all three and it's awesome. I had cable with the phone and internet and that sucked. This is really awesome. Order pay peview movies in a 4 sec. Very seet.