Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon FIOS TV (merged)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kellen Goldbrick]PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE KIDDING.[/QUOTE]

He is...It is compatible...needs to be hooked up to the router first.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Blair Thomas]Anybody know when this will finally get to NYC?

[/QUOTE]

I live in Queens, and I think the NYC push has been stalled. Pretty good message board here if you want to check out where it's being installed, etc:

[url]http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber[/url]

flushingjet
    list of ny state fios tv franchises with 2 more pending approval:

[url="http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2007/verizons-fios-tv-approved-in-8.html"]http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2007/verizons-fios-tv-approved-in-8.html[/url]

dont worry, a special codicil was added to include macs on the dsl side
    Last edited by flushingjet; 05-14-2007 at 08:32 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's funny is..I just checked my phone # for fios,and it's not in my area yet..but I appreciate the feedback.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bill parcells]What's funny is..I just checked my phone # for fios,and it's not in my area yet..but I appreciate the feedback.[/QUOTE]

There are some Mac incompatibilities, no joke. Do some research. There were issues in checking Yahoo Mail, online banking, and some other online apps a few months back on the Mac platform with Fios.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will this thing ever get to Brooklyn? I'm hearing no earlier than 2009 :eek: ...just not right man!

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=SAR I]There are some Mac incompatibilities, no joke. Do some research. There were issues in checking Yahoo Mail, online banking, and some other online apps a few months back on the Mac platform with Fios.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

this should fix things right up...like Clearisil back in the day

[url="http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/broadbandtuner10.html"]http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/broadbandtuner10.html[/url]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I]There are some Mac incompatibilities, no joke. Do some research. There were issues in checking Yahoo Mail, online banking, and some other online apps a few months back on the Mac platform with Fios.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    Thats ok,I'm very flexible and can use either or..unlike yourself. ;)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

OT: Verizon FIOS TV

I have Verizon FIOS for Internet Connectivity at my house in RI and next week they are allowed to start installing the TV service.

Does anyone know if their HD DVR has an HD converter built into the DVR?

I have an analog TV and was told if the DVR has an HD Tuner my analog TV would be able receive HD Programming.

Can any of you guys confirm that and also let me know if their DVR has a built in converter?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    if it is an HD DVR it's going to have an HD Tuner... not sure what you mean by HD converter though

what TV do you have?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jgurks]I have Verizon FIOS for Internet Connectivity at my house in RI and next week they are allowed to start installing the TV service.

Does anyone know if their HD DVR has an HD converter built into the DVR?

I have an analog TV and was told if the DVR has an HD Tuner my analog TV would be able receive HD Programming.

Can any of you guys confirm that and also let me know if their DVR has a built in converter?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.[/QUOTE]

May I just say that I hate you for having Fios available in your area. :)
    Still waiting for that to be available here.

As for your question...3 things are necessary for true HD picture.
    1) HD receiver
    2) HD prog
    3) HD television set

You my friend have 1 and 2, but without 3 you will not be able to view HD programming. Sorry.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I meant HD tuner not converter, sorry for the mistake. I have a Sony Trinitron but is fairly old and not HD Ready.

I guess my question still is it safe to say I need to go out and buy a new TV?

or is their anyway if the DVR has an HD Tuner, I be able to get HD on my old TV?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jgurks]I meant HD tuner not converter, sorry for the mistake. I have a Sony Trinitron but is fairly old and not HD Ready.

I guess my question still is it safe to say I need to go out and buy a new TV?

or is their anyway if the DVR has an HD Tuner, I be able to get HD on my old TV?[/QUOTE]

You need an HD TV with a built in HD tuner or an HD ready TV to view HD programming.

Short Answer: YES, you need to buy a new TV.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need to buy a HD TV and digital cable between company box and your TV. Get a HDMI interface on your new TV for best Picture.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can u come back and give us a report in about a month on this? I've really heard mixed stuff about FIOS. I'm from Rhode Island myself and want to know if its worth it.

People complain that the service interruption is horrible for the TV. but the internet is awesome..

Let us know

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Verizon FIOS TV is incredible. The HD picture is noticeably better than any other HD. Also, the sound is better if you have any kind of system set up. Plus, they have a DVR which creates a network in your house....In other words you can tape and watch from any TV that is connected to the DVR. You can watch a program you recorded from any TV in the house. Actually, watch the same recorded programs in different locations...even if you start them at different times.
    Plus the internet speed is super fast. You will have a fiber line from the Central Office directly to your house. The "pipe" is so has so much more capability. Often there are FIOS expos, you should check them out at a local mall or somewhere. If someone you know has it, I definitely recomend watch something in HD. There is no question it is a better picture.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Verizon is currently running fiber in my city and FIOS should be available sometime this summer.

Currently I have Time Warner Cable for both internet and TV. Verizon is my phone provider. What I'm wondering is...Can verizon automatically start providing tv service or is that something that they have to negotiate with the city or some other entity?

I would like to make the switch, but I I want to switch everything over, not just internet. If anyone has any knowledge on how the process works, I would be interested to hear. Thanks.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have FIOS internet and phone service and I love it. We don't have FIOS TV yet in my area of Queens and I was told it is because Verizon has to negotiate with each area (the 5 boros)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here in RI, in order for Verizon to deliver their TV service they had to go and get approval from the State Legislature. I am sure it is similar in each state. The Cable indusrty is regulated and they need permission to deliver their service.

I have the Internet connection and it is great. They come and install a free wireless router that blew away my Netgear router. With my Netgear router I had poor coverage in my house and now I get 10 MG download speed on my wireless laptop anywhere in my house. I used to have Cox Cable's Internet service that claimed 5 MG download speed but was usually 3MG and that was hard wired to my PC. Now my FIOS connection to my PC receives 15 MG download speed.

They are offering a promotion where if you buy Phone (which includes Long Distance similar to Vonage) TV and Internet for $90 a month. I am not sure if this includes the HD DVR. Right now I have 2 Tivo's in my house and it appears I only need to buy or rent one Verizon DVR which can connect to multiple TV's. All in all it seems to be a good deal, Plus the TV offers 260 channels as opposed to my Cox cable which has about 70 Channels. ( I do not have Cox digital TV which would provide more channels but that is available through Cox but costs more than what Verizon is offering)

The TV service will be available June 6th here in RI.

My only problem is I have to go buy a new TV.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I switched to FIOS TV couple of months ago. I already had Verizon Phone and FIOS internet so the TV was a simple switch for the installer. Picture and sound is amazing compared to Comcast, which I had. I'm dead even between NYC and Philly so I got the best of both worlds, NY and Philly channels. So I get MSG, YES, SNY, Philly Comcast Sports Net as well as NY and Philly CBS,NBC, ABC & Fox. Comcast was rezoning us and pulling the NEW York channels off basic cable. Now realize one thing with FIOS. YOU MUST HAVE the box on every TV. If you don't get the box you only get channels 2-13 so the $90 teaser they give you will go up quick. THat number if for Phone/Internet and ONE TV. My monthly nut is $150 bucks for Phone/Internet & 5 TV's all with HBO. I loved taking my Comcast boxes back to them after the switch and telling them to bite me :yes: I have had FIOS for over two months and have not have any transmission problems.