Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Verizon FIOS TV (merged)

Veteran
    What do they charge per box for TV. Can u clarify for me this question.

You can have HD DVR which they quoted me at 12.99 per month that can deliver recorded programs to any TV in your house but each TV will need a "Box" (I think it is $4.99 per month) but not a DVR Box. is that correct?

5 bucks a box sounds correct and I think I spend like $20 bucks a month for HBO. THat is for the basic box to get all the channels not DVR or TIVO thing.
    I never had TIVO/DVR so I wasn't interested but they did try to get me with the same offer.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=Jim 325]I switched to FIOS TV couple of months ago. I already had Verizon Phone and FIOS internet so the TV was a simple switch for the installer. Picture and sound is amazing compared to Comcast, which I had. I'm dead even between NYC and Philly so I got the best of both worlds, NY and Philly channels. So I get MSG, YES, SNY, Philly Comcast Sports Net as well as NY and Philly CBS,NBC, ABC & Fox. Comcast was rezoning us and pulling the NEW York channels off basic cable. Now realize one thing with FIOS. YOU MUST HAVE the box on every TV. If you don't get the box you only get channels 2-13 so the $90 teaser they give you will go up quick. THat number if for Phone/Internet and ONE TV. My monthly nut is $150 bucks for Phone/Internet & 5 TV's all with HBO. I loved taking my Comcast boxes back to them after the switch and telling them to bite me :yes: I have had FIOS for over two months and have not have any transmission problems.[/QUOTE]
    How did you swing getting NY and Philly NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox? Where do you live?

I'm moving to Burlington County, NJ and am praying I can get the NY stations..

East Windsor NJ, Exit 8A on the Pike. 60 miles from each city. Verizon tried to push Philthy channels but they got a lot of rejection from us Big Apple fans. This is what drove most of us away from Comcast.
    You may get MSG, SNY down in Burlington but don't bet on the broadcast networks ABC,NBC etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=Jim 325]East Windsor NJ, Exit 8A on the Pike. 60 miles from each city. Verizon tried to push Philthy channels but they got a lot of rejection from us Big Apple fans. This is what drove most of us away from Comcast.
    You may get MSG, SNY down in Burlington but don't bet on the broadcast networks ABC,NBC etc.[/QUOTE]
    Arghh. I;m going to try and fight it. I've had NY channels my whole life and am moving 30 miles southwest, within the same state and am going to get screwed...

Jets Insider VIP
    I ditched DirecTV for FIOS in April. A lot more HD, better 5.1 sound (and more), better standard def pix, bigger channel lineup, and CHEAPER.

OT:Info on FIOS speed.....WOW!

Just saw a report on Hi-speed ISP's
    on WCVB in Boston.

Comcast-6 mbps(average)

Fios-15 mbps(nationwide avg.)
    20 mbps(Boston area avg.)

Fios-2 mbps (upload speed!!!).

I cannot wait to get rid of Comcast.

Fios speed is friggin' unbelievable.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=NE>NY]Just saw a report on Hi-speed ISP's
    on WCVB in Boston.

Comcast-6 mbps(average)

Fios-15 mbps(nationwide avg.)
    20 mbps(Boston area avg.)

Fios-2 mbps (upload speed!!!).

I cannot wait to get rid of Comcast.

Fios speed is friggin' unbelievable.[/QUOTE]

As long as they keep showing Sparky the kid and that douchebag installation man in there commercials they can burn in hell.

[QUOTE=ruby2glocks]As long as they keep showing Sparky the kid and that douchebag installation man in there commercials they can burn in hell.[/QUOTE]

........make it a SLOW-burn in Hell......after the NFL Net fiasco.

All Pro
    I just ordered the Fios package and dumped my Cablevision for the same reason. They're also taking 6 bucks off my Direct TV bill for doing it. Cant wait to have it installed :yes:

[QUOTE=2009fatman]I just ordered the Fios package and dumped my Cablevision for the same reason. They're also taking 6 bucks off my Direct TV bill for doing it. Cant wait to have it installed :yes:[/QUOTE]

Well done!.....Congrats

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=2009fatman]I just ordered the Fios package and dumped my Cablevision for the same reason. They're also taking 6 bucks off my Direct TV bill for doing it. Cant wait to have it installed :yes:[/QUOTE]

how do I get 6 bucks off DirecTV with FiOS? I already have both

I get about the same with Optimum Online. :) Just switched from DSL and couldn't be happier! :D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Tanginius]how do I get 6 bucks off DirecTV with FiOS? I already have both[/QUOTE]

It's only for new customers moving over from Optonline or another cable service, the customer service person said they have a good relationship with DTV.. Now I don't have to pay for that stupid triple play with optonline when I don't even use their tv service. The Fios internet blows optimum away. check out the speed on this thing. I'm lucky enough to live in a area that has Fios.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 07-27-2007 at 11:29 PM.

Fios Tv (merged)

Ok, so my trees have pretty much knocked me out of the Direct TV HD market. Hate like hell move to Cablevision and give Dolan my money. So I've been looking into FIOS TV. Some pretty good reviews coming out. HD content doesn't match Direct TV, and the DVR isn't as good, but the potential is definitely there. Still in the infancy stages a bit with regards to TV, however I think the upside down the road looks to be pretty good so it might be worth taking a shot with them.

So, looking for some personal feedback. Anyone have FIOS TV?

Hall Of Fame
    Oceanside

Internet is stunningly fast and rock steady. I pay for the 20/5 service and I get that 24/7. The level of service does not vary in peak hours as it did with Cablevision. Nor does it get throttled if you actually use it (as it may do with Cablevision).

TV quality is also excellent. My only complaint has been that you need a box for every TV in the house. The number of channels you can get through the unscambled analog tuner on most old TV's is severely limited. Basically the broadcast channels and a couple of spanish public access channels and that it is. Cablevision was much better about that.

Not sure which Mod merged this but THANKS!!!!!

Just read the entire thread and now feel so much better than I did a few days ago when I got the Direct TV news. It seems like every single person is really happy with them so it looks like this is going to be a great option for me.

All Pro
    Now why wouldn't they get NYC wired first. You suburbanites always copy what we have so it'd be good marketing. :D

But seriously I ****ing hate the monopoly TWC has on cable here. A year ago they increase prices $15 a month across the board for the same service, $15 a month is a HUGE increase, I hope they burn in hell.

[QUOTE=WILL_22;2174168]So, looking for some personal feedback. Anyone have FIOS TV?[/QUOTE]

I've had it for about 4 months and am pretty satisfied thus far. The best thing they have going for them is lots of On Demand content, none of which you pay additional for.

There's tons of free stuff - especially NFL Network and NFL Films. Not sure if you're familiar with NFL Network, but they have condensed replays of the games and all of the previous week's games are available in this format On Demand, as are the Jets and Giants (local teams) replays from every game this season. There's other stuff, like Mike Pereira's Official Review for every week of the season. Some other Jets stuff that's available - a 2006 recap show as well as something called "6 Days Jets", which follows Vilma studying film and practicing leading up to a game versus the Pats in 2005. There's also free content ranging from ESPN to the Food Network, music videos (even less mainstream stuff like punk and metal), HGTV, and Disney.

On top of the free content, you automatically get the On Demand access with whatever movie channels you subscribe to, unlike the $5 per that the Dolan skells charge.

The only thing I would say is a negative is that they are a little shady when it comes to disclosing the actual amount you'll be paying once you factor in the taxes, franchise fees, FCC charges, etc. I continually asked the sales reps to give me a quote including all surcharges and I got the "well, taxes vary from state to state." No ****. "OK, I live in New York, how much will the bill be?" "Well, I can't give you an exact amount." "Alright, how about an estimate?"... they just skate around the issue. Just be prepared...

[QUOTE=Blair Thomas;2174343]Now why wouldn't they get NYC wired first. You suburbanites always copy what we have so it'd be good marketing. :D
    [/QUOTE]

Bloomberg won't sign off on the franchise agreement dor TV services until Verizon commits to wiring ALL neighborhoods in NYC. I think Verizon has actually slowed/halted their rollout as a result.