Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon FIOS TV (merged)

Picture quality is awesome and with on demand service there is no extra fee to see a show when you want --- as opposed to Cablevision who has an upcharge for that same thing.

[QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER]Just an update...got FIOS installed last week and it's fabulous.

The best is when I returned my boxes to cablevision and the woman asked my why I was cancelling. My response was:

"Because the Dolans are the devil and I hope they rot in hell."

True story.

BTW: NFL Network channel 69.[/QUOTE]
    Sooth you are the man...I had a similar experience when I had some Cable sales people roaming the block and they stopped at my house while I was working out front...worst mistake they could have made...I had switched from Cable to DirectTV about a year earlier and basically said the same thing you did.."Dolan is a crook"....."get off my property before I call the cops"..

Anyway, I had a Verizon FiOS salesmen here the other day and we are mulling changing....I've heard some things like when it rains it screws up the signal and not all TVs are compatible for the DVR...is that true ?....also, do you see a noticeable difference between Optimum internet service vs. Verizon it terms of speed ?...the guy said it would be 2x as fast as what I have now but I find that hard to believe since mine is like lightning now....thks

All League
    I really want to switch, but not having Knicks and Mets games in HD is a scary thought. Does anyone know if they will have them soon?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=The Cooler King]Sooth you are the man...I had a similar experience when I had some Cable sales people roaming the block and they stopped at my house while I was working out front...worst mistake they could have made...I had switched from Cable to DirectTV about a year earlier and basically said the same thing you did.."Dolan is a crook"....."get off my property before I call the cops"..

Anyway, I had a Verizon FiOS salesmen here the other day and we are mulling changing....I've heard some things like when it rains it screws up the signal and not all TVs are compatible for the DVR...is that true ?....also, do you see a noticeable difference between Optimum internet service vs. Verizon it terms of speed ?...the guy said it would be 2x as fast as what I have now but I find that hard to believe since mine is like lightning now....thks[/QUOTE]

I work for Verizon, and what the sales guy said about Verizon's high-speed internet is absolutely true. The "average" Cable Internet speed is around 5-7 MB, Verizon Fios is 15 MB. Simple math = Twice as Fast!! I heard the other day from my manager that Verizon's Fios network has the capability to run at speeds up to 200 MB! I can't see anyone needing speed like that....yet.

Thanks...what about the Ethernet cable getting soaked in the rain messing with the signal...the DVR not compatible for all TVs ?

I want to get Fios because Comcast is a complete rip-off for digital cable and internet. Fios is supposed to be cheaper and give you the same thing. It hasn't reached my town yet in NJ though, but should by the summer. Verizon just started offering it in NJ two weeks ago, but mostly for northern bergen county towns.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Green Lantern 80]Glad to hear it! Enjoy it!

~ I'm NOT a sales person, I'm actually a technician. I'm not making anything off of spreading a little info! FYI. :D[/QUOTE]

I live in Warren,I have Full Channel..It's not all that bad cept for every once in awhile my internet connection dissconnects for no reason.
    And Channel 6 comes in like I have aluminum foil on rabbit ears :mad:

I'll keep an eye out for FIOS

I MADE THE SWITCH!!!!

I managed to shove 3 cable boxes and a modem up Dolans ass, and you know what? They fit!!

It was a day Ill never forget this past Saturday. The Verizon guy came to my house bright and early. He had 2 regular boxes, an HD box & an HD/DVR box ready to rock for me. As well, I got the 20/5 package. OMG!! Amazing speed!

And the amount of channels I now get 'basic' versus what I was getting ripped off by Cablevi$ion is almost double (though there are alot of Espanol stations).

And the best part...... NFL Network in HD and no extra cost!!! Basic!!!!

I am now saving about $80 a month. And now all 3 services are with Verizon.

Also wanted to point out, when I returned the cable boxes, the guy at the Optimum store never even bothered to ask why I was shutting off the service completely. Guess it didn't take a genious to figure that out.

So F.U. Charles Dolan. May you die a poor mans death.

PS - Your Blues band also sucks!

Thanks Sooth :yes:

Does the cable box with HD have HMDI outputs ? Any idea if they offer a DVR?

FIOS tv is not avaialable in Fresh Meadows Queens yet but they said by March possibly. I did make the switch to FIOS internet and phone and I agree it is great.

Steven

[QUOTE=wallstreet123456]Does the cable box with HD have HMDI outputs ? Any idea if they offer a DVR?

FIOS tv is not avaialable in Fresh Meadows Queens yet but they said by March possibly. I did make the switch to FIOS internet and phone and I agree it is great.

Steven[/QUOTE]

Yes. Both the HD box & DVR box(which supports HD) use HDMI. Matter of fact, my installer even laid a few extra cables on me :D

Hall Of Fame
    My brother has it and raves about it. Blazing fast.

OT - Verizon FIOS

I know this was posted in the recent past, but I cannot find it. Does anyone have Verizon FIOS and would they recommend it over cable?

I currenly have Comcast Digital Cable and Internet, but the Verizon rep keeps mailing me and stopping by my house offering a deal. The Verizon deal is WAY cheaper than Comcast, but I am hesitant to do it as I do not know the quality.

Any feedback you guys can provide will be much appreciated.

Jets Insider VIP
    Do it. And they'll upgrade your phone service to fiber for free. :cool:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

i don't have it (not offered yet in manhattan), but i'm, originally from huntington, sevreal friends have it, all love it. [i]love it[/i]. they rave about it.

flushingjet
    i have it - its great

1) do it because its good
    (have it for 2 phone lines (previously crap)
    DSL and possibly for future TV)

2) do it to get cv out of your life-
    i hate cv more than woody haters hate woody

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Shaef - I found an older thread on this topic that I merged with yours. Maybe it will have some of the answers you are looking for.

Awesome!

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw]Shaef - I found an older thread on this topic that I merged with yours. Maybe it will have some of the answers you are looking for.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for merging these threads. I appreciate the feedback.
    Schaef

Jets Insider VIP
    What's the local channel situation? Big Networks? Sports (YES or SNY)?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Green Lantern 80]Here in Rhode Island, I work for "a company" that provides Fios. I believe that the minimum speed offered for the internet is 5 MBP. Optional is the 10-15 MBP range as well (it goes a lot higher if need be). I actually saw the picture from our Fios TV in one of our training facilities in Marlboro, Mass about a month ago and it's AMAZING! There is so much bandwidth that we can play with, it's TRUE HIGH DEFINITION. I've been told by upper management that Cable Providers have to REMOVE 1 analog cable station for every 2 HIGH DEF stations it ADD, because the bandwidth can't support it? Fios is the way to go. I have heard all good things about it. A friend of mine switched to "us" from Cox Cable and he says there's no comparison. Rhode Island is scheduled to have the TV protion of Fios available May of 2007. It's currently available across America in certain areas where the network has been run. Massachussetts currently deploys Fios, and it's been extremely successful there. Any Q's I can get some solid answers for you if you'd like?[/QUOTE]

You speak the truth. I read somewhere this guy was suing the cable company for not providing adequate signals for High Definition. I forget how much Bit rate we are suppose to be getting. But what they do is whenever there is a major sporting event. They will pull more of a signal from another channel to accommodate the fast pace of the sporting event.

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=papichango]You speak the truth. I read somewhere this guy was suing the cable company for not providing adequate signals for High Definition. I forget how much Bit rate we are suppose to be getting. But what they do is whenever there is a major sporting event. They will pull more of a signal from another channel to accommodate the fast pace of the sporting event.[/QUOTE]

D*TV is bit-starving/cannibalizing itself until it gets its
    new satellites on line (Q3 this yr)

in the meantime some opportunistic folk(s) are suing
    because they advertise hd (i e 1080i per the jessica simpson ad)
    but are not supplying the full 1080i resolution at any/all times