Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I know you guys get asked this a lot...but why is Jesus depicted as White?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I know you guys get asked this a lot...but why is Jesus depicted as White?

When he is of course of middle eastern descent, meaning he should have more of a dark complexion.

I just never got a clear answer, when I asked one of my Christian friends

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because all of those pictures of White Jesus were painted by Europeans.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2174260]Because all of those pictures of White Jesus were painted by Europeans.[/QUOTE]

Nailed it on 1 reply.

This board is becoming very efficient.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    first time I've been asked it.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=blast2blaze;2174248]When he is of course of middle eastern descent, meaning he should have more of a dark complexion.

I just never got a clear answer, when I asked one of my Christian friends[/QUOTE]

If I had a dime for every time I've been asked that, I'd have ... a dime.

My hunch is that the first reply (because European painters showed him that way) is correct. Of course, he was black in that one Madonna video...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jesus was a Middle-Eastern Jew. Feel free to adjust your mental image accordingly. And yes, the silly "whitebread" Jesus pictures ARE kinda funny, if you really think about it....

Jesus was good enough to die for our sins, but not pasty white enough to be our saviour. Says alot about alot of things.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2174964]Jesus was a Middle-Eastern Jew. Feel free to adjust your mental image accordingly. And yes, the silly "whitebread" Jesus pictures ARE kinda funny, if you really think about it....

Jesus was good enough to die for our sins, but not pasty white enough to be our saviour. Says alot about alot of things.[/QUOTE]

I always laugh at the stupidity of people who adamantly argue what race Jesus was. Like if he was black or white, that would somehow lessen or strengthen his divinity.

It's silly, isn't it? You're willing to believe that he was the son of God, turning water into wine and all that good stuff, but only if he has the right complexion.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2174982]I always laugh at the stupidity of people who adamantly argue what race Jesus was. Like if he was black or white, that would somehow lessen or strengthen his divinity.

It's silly, isn't it? You're willing to believe that he was the son of God, turning water into wine and all that good stuff, but only if he has the right complexion.[/QUOTE]

Right, because no one wants to have a pimply faced savior.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jesus is in Warfish's sig. FACT.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is the sky blue?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The first person was quite accurate...

Jesus is typically white for Euro-centric Christianity, black for African Christianity, Chinese in Chinese Christianity....you get the idea.

The images actually come from the paintings that are done about Christ. It is easier for a European culture to associate Christ as a white, an African for a Black....

That said, there have been drawings of him done as to how he would have probably looked growing up in the culture he did. It is also presumed, knowing what archeology has discovered about the cultures at that time, that he would have been VERY physically fit....Imagine carrying a wooden cross the size of a small tree through the streets after being whipped and beaten?

So that in a nutshell is why he is depicted as white...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2175097]So that in a nutshell is why he is depicted as white...[/QUOTE]

Oh, I thought it was because he was a Pro-Life Republican.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant;2175014]Right, because no one wants to have a pimply faced savior.[/QUOTE]

Bitoni wouldn't vote for him for President if that was the case. ;)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2175097]That said, there have been drawings of him done as to how he would have probably looked growing up in the culture he did. It is also presumed, knowing what archeology has discovered about the cultures at that time, that he would have been VERY physically fit....Imagine carrying a wooden cross the size of a small tree through the streets after being whipped and beaten?[/QUOTE]

Why is that? He was the Son of God (so you believe) right? He performed miracles, right? Are you telling me you believe he could turn water into wine, and riase the dead, but couldn't carry a cross after some torture unless he was "VERY physically fit"? Since when it God contrained by how many reps he did on the bench press?

I guess thats one of the things I fond so interesting, he was apparently a miracle machine, but couldn't perform even one in his own defense.....but I guess thats a whole part of the "died for our sins" story, eh. He COULD have stopped his own torture and death, but didn't, because being tortured and killed......was to help us for our sins.

If you say so.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2175277]Why is that? He was the Son of God (so you believe) right? He performed miracles, right? Are you telling me you believe he could turn water into wine, and riase the dead, but couldn't carry a cross after some torture unless he was "VERY physically fit"? Since when it God contrained by how many reps he did on the bench press?

I guess thats one of the things I fond so interesting, he was apparently a miracle machine, but couldn't perform even one in his own defense.....but I guess thats a whole part of the "died for our sins" story, eh. He COULD have stopped his own torture and death, but didn't, because being tortured and killed......was to help us for our sins.

If you say so.[/QUOTE]

I think he would have been physically fit because men typically did physical labor and since he was a carpenter you would have to assume he would be in great shape.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;2175295]I think he would have been physically fit because men typically did physical labor and since he was a carpenter you would have to assume he would be in great shape.[/QUOTE]

Jesus was buff.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jesus is white because we designed him that way.

When you create a god and savior, you can make him any color you want.:D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2175277]Why is that? He was the Son of God (so you believe) right? He performed miracles, right? Are you telling me you believe he could turn water into wine, and riase the dead, but couldn't carry a cross after some torture unless he was "VERY physically fit"? Since when it God contrained by how many reps he did on the bench press?

If you say so.[/QUOTE]

He was also a man Warfish....

If you would be interested, I can connect you with some writers who can discuss the Trinity far better than I can...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;2175106]Oh, I thought it was because he was a Pro-Life Republican.[/QUOTE]

He probably would have been....something about killing innocent children and letter people do whatever they want because it feels good I don't think would cut the mold with old JC:cool:

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;2175312]Jesus was buff.[/QUOTE]

And Santa is a fatso!