Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: I know you guys get asked this a lot...but why is Jesus depicted as White?

[QUOTE=DowntownScience;2202376]Can he play NT or OLB? What do you think Jesus' 40 time would be?[/QUOTE]

Jesus' last workout was over 2000 years ago, but he moved what had to be a 2 ton rock and he ran so fast he flew into the sky.

I heard he's a good character guy with a non-stop motor too.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote=sackdance99;2195428]Reading this post, I must say it's remarkable to see how many people on average are completely lost time and time again. Having never cracked a bible in their life, yet so confident in what they believe.

Interestingly, none of these people would drive 90 MPH through a red light at a busy intersection, yet all are content on rolling the dice on eternity. I'll never grasp that.[/quote]

I personally can't get behind something I've never seen, heard, nor touched. Something that is talked about in a fictional novel named the Bible written by King James.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote=SenorGato;2202381]Jesus' last workout was over 2000 years ago, but he moved what had to be a 2 ton rock and he ran so fast he flew into the sky.

I heard he's a good character guy with a non-stop motor too.[/quote]

Sounds like a Mangini type to me. Hell (oops!) if we had him we could bring in players with character flaws and Jesus could save them.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote=PlumberKhan;2198844]Ummm...hate?

Probably not. I don't really see God hating much of anything. [B]I mean, he hasn't killed the devil yet...and that dudes pretty bad[/B].[/quote]

He's still coaching in NE and Jesus is a Patriot fan. Go figure.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote=sackdance99;2199600]Well thanks Warfish. That certainly settles it. It's encouraging to hear you feel "the odds favor that he did" with your vast knowledge and understanding of the bible.

:alien:[/quote]

How could anyone have a vast knowledge and understanding of the bible? It's completely left to interpretation which is different for all people. Why do you think there are so many different religions that all encourage different things but read the same exact scripture?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Black Death;2175090]Jesus is in Warfish's sig. FACT.[/QUOTE]

I always thought he came in the image of Kenny Logins....

[IMG]http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/07/98/99/37/0007989937282_500X500.jpg[/IMG]

then I figured it can't be....even Jesus turns off the radio when a kenny logins song comes on....

[QUOTE=parafly;2202374]Fear tactics only work on the weak minded. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Just like Jedi mind tricks. Who woulda thunk it....

All Pro
    [QUOTE=DowntownScience;2202396]How could anyone have a vast knowledge and understanding of the bible? It's completely left to interpretation which is different for all people. Why do you think there are so many different religions that all encourage different things but read the same exact scripture?[/QUOTE]

No offence Downtown Science, but that is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard...Please, if you want to talk about it, talk about it....

You would blow your top if someone came on here and spout off about science, who obviously didn't know what they were talking about.

First off, calling the bible fiction is naive at best...next, saying that different religions encourage different things but read the same exact scripture.....that is just way off base.

So, you want to ask questions....great....wanna learn...great...but please, come here with a little more respect than that.

All Pro
    Guys, don't let the fire and brimstone tactics ruin what was a good dialogue...

And by the way, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing that shows the weak-mindedness of much of the Christian fundamentalism we find in contemporary religious circles...Isn't it easy to damn everyone to hell, without even thinking about what you are talking about.

This does not further the gospel, nor does it wash your hands clean as I have heard many say. Matter of fact, it will put you more in line with the Pharisees and Sadducees.

Remember that little quote in the NT where Paul told us to question everything, test it against scripture, find what is true. I would say those who are asking the questions and questioning the faith, who seem to be honest in their search are far more ahead than this mind-numbing attempt at paving your own road.

Manipulation is not something that is affective in having these types of discussions...honesty and openness though goes a long way....at least, I hope.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2202584]Guys, don't let the fire and brimstone tactics ruin what was a good dialogue...

And by the way, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing that shows the weak-mindedness of much of the Christian fundamentalism we find in contemporary religious circles...Isn't it easy to damn everyone to hell, without even thinking about what you are talking about.

This does not further the gospel, nor does it wash your hands clean as I have heard many say. Matter of fact, it will put you more in line with the Pharisees and Sadducees.

Remember that little quote in the NT where Paul told us to question everything, test it against scripture, find what is true. I would say those who are asking the questions and questioning the faith, who seem to be honest in their search are far more ahead than this mind-numbing attempt at paving your own road.

Manipulation is not something that is affective in having these types of discussions...honesty and openness though goes a long way....at least, I hope.[/QUOTE]

Easy for you to say, God still blesses Canada. God doesnt bless America anymore. SD said so.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sect112row36;2202622]Easy for you to say, God still blesses Canada. God doesnt bless America anymore. SD said so.[/QUOTE]

SIGH>>>>>>>

Like I said, it is always fun to discuss the topic of God on this board, because most of the guys come here with an open mind, even if they don't believe in God at all...

Then, a dark cloud looms over, wipes out the entire conversation, and we get the usual rebuttal, understandably considering they are all being damned....

Makes me want to :bangwall::bangwall:

Banned
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2202570]No offence Downtown Science, but that is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard...Please, if you want to talk about it, talk about it....

[B]You would blow your top if someone came on here and spout off about science, who obviously didn't know what they were talking about.[/B]

First off, calling the bible fiction is naive at best...next, saying that different religions encourage different things but read the same exact scripture.....that is just way off base.

So, you want to ask questions....great....wanna learn...great...but please, come here with a little more respect than that.[/QUOTE]

Great point. I (usually) try to stay out of religious debates because frankly, I'm not extremely knowledgeable on the topic.

As I've stated before my in-laws are devout catholics. My father in-law is a theologist who has worked for several dioceses (sp?) around the country, and has taught many theology courses for seminarians. Occasionally our dinner conversations become religious debates (as opposed to the usual b!tching sessions they have over the local Church's poor leadership in recent years) between my in-laws, my wife and whoever else is over. Again, I try to stay out of the discussions because I've never had much thought or read much on religion. It was never really emphasized much to me or my brother when we were young.

On the statement that the bible is complete fiction: that is not true at all. A lot of events described in the Old and New Testaments have been proven to have stemmed from historical fact. Personally I believe (remember take what I say with a grain of salt) that much of the bible is not unlike old legends. They take historical truths that get embellished as they are passed down. As the stories changed they became more and more fantastic.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2203173]
    On the statement that the bible is complete fiction: that is not true at all. A lot of events described in the Old and New Testaments have been proven to have stemmed from historical fact. Personally I believe (remember take what I say with a grain of salt) that much of the bible is not unlike old legends. They take historical truths that get embellished as they are passed down. As the stories changed they became more and more fantastic.[/QUOTE]

In some ways, you are correct source...take a look at Babylonian creation mythology, and you will see a striking resemblance to the OT. It many ways, it was the Hebrew answer to Mesopotamian Paganism...

That said, many people have stated in many, many arguments here (not you, but many) that one of the issues with the bible is the fact that these are stories "passed down," much like the phone game we play now. You start the information at one end, and by the final person you have a completely different story.

Unfortunately, this is a common mistake we make in the 21st century, trying to transpose how we do things now to how they did things then. The vast majority (probably over 90 percent) of the people could not read or write fluently. We are talking about oral tradition cultures. We cannot understand that because we can pick up a book, read something, and then pick the book up again if we forget what we read. This was just not the case back then. People could memorize the ENTIRE Torah, word for word. This is how information was passed down. When mistakes were made, they were corrected.

Where the issue mainly lies is the difference between mythology, allegory, metaphor, parable, and literalism...Many fundamentalists SCREAM for a literal translation, which of course puts it at odds (mainly) with modern science.

Problem is, we then run into statements like "aroma pleasing to God's nostrils," or "the hand of God." Literally taken, God has a nose and a hand. But these are anthropomorphisms of God. Where then does literalism end and mythology, allegory, metaphor and parable begin? Thats why we have theologians, who's life's work is to study this stuff.....all pretty simple, really.;)

Quick question: The Bible was edited by Constantine to introduce Christianity as the main religion in Rome, no?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;2205254]Quick question: The Bible was edited by Constantine to introduce Christianity as the main religion in Rome, no?[/QUOTE]

GReat question SenorGato, but one that takes a little more than what I can offer at this moment...If you can give me some time, I can give you an "answer." I mean, the best answer I can give, because we are dealing with history, and the lines of history can be blurred.

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2205412]GReat question SenorGato, but one that takes a little more than what I can offer at this moment...If you can give me some time, I can give you an "answer." I mean, the best answer I can give, because we are dealing with history, and the lines of history can be blurred.[/QUOTE]
    I am not trying to bait you here Steve. This answer just feels like a copout to me.

History is history. Sure, certain historical facts can get blurry but not nearly as much as the Bible.

The Bible, especially to so-called "New Testament" has been rewritten or "reinterpreted" numerous times throughout history. Many of these rewrites were to serve political ends.

You ever wonder why it contradicts itself so much? Could it be that those contradictions came out of the rewritten passages?

If the Bible were released as a novel today, it would be universally panned by critics as being an over-the-top, overblown epic with literally hundreds of plot holes.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Klecko73isGod;2205455]I am not trying to bait you here Steve. This answer just feels like a copout to me.

History is history. Sure, certain historical facts can get blurry but not nearly as much as the Bible.

The Bible, especially to so-called "New Testament" has been rewritten or "reinterpreted" numerous times throughout history. Many of these rewrites were to serve political ends.

You ever wonder why it contradicts itself so much? Could it be that those contradictions came out of the rewritten passages?

If the Bible were released as a novel today, it would be universally panned by critics as being an over-the-top, overblown epic with literally hundreds of plot holes.[/QUOTE]

I would disagree....but that is coming....give me a chance to answer!

Jets Insider VIP
    I have a bigger problem with black Santa Clauses than a white Jesus. :mad:

All Pro
    Senor Gato, I have not forgotten about your question, but four papers due by next week is keeping me pretty busy (as is my two year old)

Bare with me....