Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I know you guys get asked this a lot...but why is Jesus depicted as White?

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2175325]He probably would have been....something about killing innocent children and letter people do whatever they want because it feels good I don't think would cut the mold with old JC:cool:[/QUOTE]

What would Mr Christ think about pre-emptive wars?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;2175312]Jesus was buff.[/QUOTE]

:D

A buff master craftsman with an excellent attitude. It's no wonder Mary Magdalene had a crush on him.
    Last edited by chicadeel; 10-26-2007 at 06:01 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2175321]He was also a man Warfish....

If you would be interested, I can connect you with some writers who can discuss the Trinity far better than I can...[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

One of the most interesting and complicated things about the Christ was that He was both God and man. He wasn't some just mystical being who floated over water and did magic tricks, He was also flesh and bones, i.e. a real person.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2175509]Indeed.

One of the most interesting and complicated things about the Christ was that He was both God and man. He wasn't some just mystical being who floated over water and did magic tricks, He was also flesh and bones, i.e. a real person.[/QUOTE]

just like Santa

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jesus is depicted as white because religion can be manipulated to fit any agenda. It's a made up fairy tale.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=blast2blaze;2174248]When he is of course of middle eastern descent, meaning he should have more of a dark complexion.

I just never got a clear answer, when I asked one of my Christian friends[/QUOTE]

I'd guess that he was white. But 2000 years later, complexions are different colors now that you have many people breeding outside of their race.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2174861]Nailed it on 1 reply.

This board is becoming very efficient.[/QUOTE]

True:)

Another thing that bugs me is how Jesus is not depicted as Jewish in the Last Supper painting. Neither Christr nor the disciples have yarmulkes (sp?) on.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2175509]Indeed.

One of the most interesting and complicated things about the Christ was that He was both God and man. He wasn't some just mystical being who floated over water and did magic tricks, He was also flesh and bones, i.e. a real person.[/QUOTE]

CS Lewis in Mere Christianity, gives a great interpretation of it. Mere (meaning essential) is a grouping of three books. The middle one is called What Christians Believe. This gives a very intelligent discussion on the God and man existence.

For anyone who might want to try and understand the heart of the what Christianity is all about, this is a great book.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jesus most likely looked like modern day Palestinians accept no bombs strapped around his waiste.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2177205]Jesus most likely looked like modern day Palestinians accept no bombs strapped around his waiste.[/QUOTE]

except...

wonder if Jesus had to wait in line...

(posted during edit, whoops)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2175540]Jesus is depicted as white because religion can be manipulated to fit any agenda. It's a made up fairy tale.[/QUOTE]

AGain, another great theologian in our mix folks...

I LOVE how people lump religion together as made up fairy tales...

You guys need to get your heads out of your science books for awhile...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JCnflies;2175661]True:)

Another thing that bugs me is how Jesus is not depicted as Jewish in the Last Supper painting. Neither Christr nor the disciples have yarmulkes (sp?) on.[/QUOTE]

Old World anti-semitism.

Most art in the Middle Ages was created for European Aristocrats and Monarchs. Jesus was a king, so he had to be depicted as their better or equal, not as a lowly jew (not my thinking, theirs). If you look at most paintings of Jesus he's almost always shown wearing blue, just as monarchs were when they had portaits painted of themselves. Blue paint was quite expensive in those times because the stone that they needed to use to create the blue paint was difficult to mine. Having a painting created with lots of blue was basically a status symbol. It's where the term "blue-bloods" came from, because it became a sign of royalty.

That's your Art History lesson for today ;)
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 10-29-2007 at 09:01 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2177615]AGain, another great theologian in our mix folks...

You guys need to get your heads out of your science books for awhile...[/QUOTE]

Jesus is depicted as white because religion can be manipulated to fit any agenda. It's a made up fairy tale.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2177615]AGain, another great theologian in our mix folks...

You guys need to get your heads out of your science books for awhile...[/QUOTE]

Yes, enough with the critical thought!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Black Death;2180889]Jesus is depicted as white because religion can be manipulated to fit any agenda. It's a made up fairy tale.[/QUOTE]

Yup....okay....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2181152]Yes, enough with the critical thought![/QUOTE]

Oops....sorry, didn't realize we were not suppose to think.....gotcha here goes...:chimp::coocoo2::dunce:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JCnflies;2175673]CS Lewis in Mere Christianity, gives a great interpretation of it. Mere (meaning essential) is a grouping of three books. The middle one is called What Christians Believe. This gives a very intelligent discussion on the God and man existence.

For anyone who might want to try and understand the heart of the what Christianity is all about, this is a great book.[/QUOTE]

I bought Mere Christianity about a month ago and just started it recently. Lewis does an amazing job in it. Def agree JCN.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2181854]Oops....sorry, didn't realize we were not suppose to think.....gotcha here goes...:chimp::coocoo2::dunce:[/QUOTE]

Religion is about faith not thinking. It was invented so poor people would not b!tch about being poor. They could look forward to moving onto Valhalla or the Kingdom of God or 40 virgins or whatever non-sense people are buying.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2182208][B]Religion is about faith not thinking[/B]. QUOTE]

only for the literalist. As most religious folks are not literalists/fundamentalists, thought and science mix into their faith. Unfortunately its the loud fundamentists who have given the impression that theres either science or religion and no mixing of the two. Theres alot of grey area to religion, its not as black and white as you make it out to be.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2182208]Religion is about faith not thinking. It was invented so poor people would not b!tch about being poor. They could look forward to moving onto Valhalla or the Kingdom of God or 40 virgins or whatever non-sense people are buying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, okay buster....whatever you think....You keep telling yourself that

I guess some of those great thinkers in history were not really that, since they all wondered about God...WOW! Who would of thought the likes of Einstein, Augustine, Aquinas, Socrates, Thoreau, Edison, Newton, Lewis, Descartes, Mill, Kant, Kierkegaard, Locke, Rousseau, Wittgenstein, Copernicus, Galileo, Pateur, Dosteovsky, Tolstoy, Shakespeare....all of them delusional....huh, thanks. I always thought these guys were smart....