Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I know you guys get asked this a lot...but why is Jesus depicted as White?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sect112row36;2182332][QUOTE=Buster;2182208][B]Religion is about faith not thinking[/B]. QUOTE]

only for the literalist. As most religious folks are not literalists/fundamentalists, thought and science mix into their faith. Unfortunately its the loud fundamentists who have given the impression that theres either science or religion and no mixing of the two. Theres alot of grey area to religion, its not as black and white as you make it out to be.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see someone doesn't just turn on late night tv, watch Benny Hinn for five minutes and believe this is what the study of theology is all about.

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2182821][QUOTE=sect112row36;2182332]

Glad to see someone doesn't just turn on late night tv, watch Benny Hinn for five minutes and believe this is what the study of theology is all about.[/QUOTE]

My father studied to be a Catholic priest for six years from the age of 17; this was back in the day when being a priest was seen as being a prestigous calling and masses were said in Latin. He can still speak Latin to this day. My mother was going to be a nun until she met my Dad. Both are very committed Catholics. When I'm at their place we have priests come around and I discuss theology and moral philosophy with them.

I probably have a better grounding in theology and moral philosophy than yourself, and I still say religion is a made up fairy tale.

[QUOTE=Black Death;2183104][QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2182821]

My father studied to be a Catholic priest for six years from the age of 17; this was back in the day when being a priest was seen as being a prestigous calling and masses were said in Latin. He can still speak Latin to this day. My mother was going to be a nun until she met my Dad. Both are very committed Catholics. When I'm at their place we have priests come around and I discuss theology and moral philosophy with them.

I probably have a better grounding in theology and moral philosophy than yourself, and I still say religion is a made up fairy tale.[/QUOTE]

And what do the priests say when you inform them their life's devotion is based on a fairy tale?

[QUOTE=pauliec;2183330][QUOTE=Black Death;2183104]

And what do the priests say when you inform them their life's devotion is based on a fairy tale?[/QUOTE]

You don't engage them like that; for a start to say that to someone's face, espeically someone who has based their lives on the 'fairytale' is very rude.

You pull the fantasy apart piece by piece, you knockdown every 'fact' they have to support their beliefs. You do it slowly but also recognise that they have a right to their credo just as much as you do to your own.

I have a lot of time for religious people; most of the religious people I know have their hearts in the right place and do good things in the community. The problem with religion is that it is also one of the biggest dangers facing humanity; I wouldn't say the biggest because I think the biggest is untramelled and uncontrolled government. One look at the Mid East should be enough to tell you the dangers religion poses to the world.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Black Death;2183104][QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2182821]

I probably have a better grounding in theology and moral philosophy than yourself, and I still say religion is a made up fairy tale.[/QUOTE]

Great...again, opinion. This whole notion though of "breaking apart a faith," is well....I'm not even sure how to respond to it. (from another post of yours)

Why is it that some of you guys have such a problem with the concept of God? And why is it such a struggle to relinquish the notion of God = religion?

And why does it always resort to a p**ing contest in these discussions? You have a better grounding in theology and moral philosophy than me? Why? I'm a seminary student who has studied (for the most part) about various world religions my whole life....what does that have to do with religion and fairy tales and God for that matter?

Sorry, I am just struggling with how this is being pieced together...

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2183724][QUOTE=Black Death;2183104]

Great...again, opinion. This whole notion though of "breaking apart a faith," is well....I'm not even sure how to respond to it. (from another post of yours)

Why is it that some of you guys have such a problem with the concept of God? And why is it such a struggle to relinquish the notion of God = religion?

And why does it always resort to a p**ing contest in these discussions? You have a better grounding in theology and moral philosophy than me? Why? I'm a seminary student who has studied (for the most part) about various world religions my whole life....what does that have to do with religion and fairy tales and God for that matter?

Sorry, I am just struggling with how this is being pieced together...[/QUOTE]

Because God and religion are man-made constructions. They have nothing to do with anything that is actually 'real' or existent. These discussions become pissing contests because we are not discussing anything that is even remotely proveable and because there is nothing to discuss apart from the damage religion does, they become pissing contests.

At the end of the day the only thing religious people have is faith and faith is not something that proves something exists or not.

flushingjet
    [quote=sourceworx;2180853]Old World anti-semitism.

Most art in the Middle Ages was created for European Aristocrats and Monarchs. Jesus was a king, so he had to be depicted as their better or equal, not as a lowly jew (not my thinking, theirs). If you look at most paintings of Jesus he's almost always shown wearing blue, just as monarchs were when they had portaits painted of themselves. Blue paint was quite expensive in those times because the stone that they needed to use to create the blue paint was difficult to mine. Having a painting created with lots of blue was basically a status symbol. It's where the term "blue-bloods" came from, because it became a sign of royalty.

That's your Art History lesson for today ;)[/quote]

so close

the kippah was not a part of jewish custom until years after the time
    of jesus

blue blood does refer to royalty nobility and aristocracy from "pure" Euro bloodlines
    (ie no Moors, Jews and so forth)

however despite what your interior designer tells you
    the term has nothing to do with paint

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=flushingjet;2183845]
    the term has nothing to do with paint[/QUOTE]

Not paint...but it has much to do with nobility being really really really really white.

Banned
    [QUOTE=flushingjet;2183845]so close

the kippah was not a part of jewish custom until years after the time
    of jesus

blue blood does refer to royalty nobility and aristocracy from "pure" Euro bloodlines
    (ie no Moors, Jews and so forth)

the term has nothing to do with paint[/QUOTE]

Actually it was from an art professor in college. Either he was a hack or you and I are just having a misunderstanding. One thing is true, look at portraits of monarchs from the Middle Ages and you will see most are dressed in blue clothing. Christ often was depicted this way as well.

Kippah or not, Christ is rarely if ever depicted as a jew in art. That's what I meant, although I wasn't aware of the kippah not being a part of jewish custom during Christ's time.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 10-30-2007 at 08:17 AM.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Black Death;2183814][QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2183724]

Because God and religion are man-made constructions. They have nothing to do with anything that is actually 'real' or existent. These discussions become pissing contests because we are not discussing anything that is even remotely proveable and because there is nothing to discuss apart from the damage religion does, they become pissing contests.

At the end of the day the only thing religious people have is faith and faith is not something that proves something exists or not.[/QUOTE]

On what basis is something proveable. If youre like most, I would assume you mean scientifically proveable. Like religion, science is limited. Science can only prove what our physical and limited minds can understand. Since God is spiritual, you will never be able to prove his existence using scientific means. Basically science is merely the tool we use to better understand the laws of nature in which God put in place.

I agree with you on religion however. Religion (not God) is man-made. It gets dangerous when man creates these clubs in which they declare thier club has exclusive passage to heaven. At that point belonging to the "club" is more important than the cause of the denomination in the first place. Its sort of like the political atmosphere here in the US and on this board. The Repubs and Dems will back their parties even at the detriment of the US.

The funny thing is as i have gotten older and questioned the technical aspects of belonging to the Catholic Church while still agreeing with much of its theological premises and moved away from the literal translatation of the Bible, the more I had a relationship with God.

Banned
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2182816]Yeah, okay buster....whatever you think....You keep telling yourself that

I guess some of those great thinkers in history were not really that, since they all wondered about God...WOW! Who would of thought the likes of Einstein, Augustine, Aquinas, Socrates, Thoreau, Edison, Newton, Lewis, Descartes, Mill, Kant, Kierkegaard, Locke, Rousseau, Wittgenstein, Copernicus, Galileo, Pateur, Dosteovsky, Tolstoy, Shakespeare....all of them delusional....huh, thanks. I always thought these guys were smart....[/QUOTE]

Funny you should name individuals that were persecuted under the banner of God and religion.

Banned
    [QUOTE=sect112row36;2184166][QUOTE=Black Death;2183814]

Religion (not God) is man-made. .[/QUOTE]

And you know this how? Because of the bible he/she/it wrote? Or the Koran?

Please provide one proof of God...anything....one single solitary piece of evidence that a God exists.

And Ill show you how that piece of evidence was thought up by a simple man.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sect112row36]Religion (not God) is man-made.[/QUOTE]

Both are man-made. This fact doesn't necessarily mean that God does not exist, but the concept of God was fabricated by man at some point in time.

flushingjet
    [quote=PlumberKhan;2183973]Not paint...but it has much to do with nobility being really really really really white.[/quote]

the dynasties, zulu kings and pharoahs were white?
    oh snap!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=NYSE;2184251]Funny you should name individuals that were persecuted under the banner of God and religion.[/QUOTE]

Yeah....some of those guys are highly regarded theologians...so, nice try

All Pro
    [QUOTE=parafly;2184268]Both are man-made. This fact doesn't necessarily mean that God does not exist, but the concept of God was fabricated by man at some point in time.[/QUOTE]

That is not a correct statement...

What you are implying is God is a construction of man... That cannot be the case if he exists.

I think where a lot of people get tied up with the idea of God is they cannot separate a discussion about God from religion.

Einstein and Hawking (Hawking moreso recently) all believed in "something" greater than ourselves, I believe they had more of an issue with religion and how they spoke of that "something."

All Pro
    [QUOTE=NYSE;2184258][QUOTE=sect112row36;2184166]

And you know this how? Because of the bible he/she/it wrote? Or the Koran?

Please provide one proof of God...anything....one single solitary piece of evidence that a God exists.

And Ill show you how that piece of evidence was thought up by a simple man.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, again, give me a break. That is one of the worst arguments.

Show me a piece of evidence that proves he does NOT exist...

Lets put away the Johnsons to see who has the bigger stream.

You cannot prove the existence of God scientifically, but unfortunately we have become a society that believes empirical evidence is the only way to know something....

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sect112row36;2184166][QUOTE=Black Death;2183814]

On what basis is something proveable. If youre like most, I would assume you mean scientifically proveable. Like religion, science is limited. Science can only prove what our physical and limited minds can understand. Since God is spiritual, you will never be able to prove his existence using scientific means. Basically science is merely the tool we use to better understand the laws of nature in which God put in place.

I agree with you on religion however. Religion (not God) is man-made. It gets dangerous when man creates these clubs in which they declare thier club has exclusive passage to heaven. At that point belonging to the "club" is more important than the cause of the denomination in the first place. Its sort of like the political atmosphere here in the US and on this board. The Repubs and Dems will back their parties even at the detriment of the US.

Well said...I agree. Funny, When you look at "Christianity," the concept of Christ's teachings abolish all religion, yet it appears that Christianity could only make it a religion for it to be understood. Very interesting, especially when you look at the correlation between the beginnings of the Christian church compared to early influences from Gnosticism, Judaism, and of course the mega structure known as the Roman Empire.

The funny thing is as i have gotten older and questioned the technical aspects of belonging to the Catholic Church while still agreeing with much of its theological premises and moved away from the literal translatation of the Bible, the more I had a relationship with God.[/QUOTE]

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    I wish I could get the BCbud on a regular basis.

Perhaps I could delude myself into believing I know what God thinks.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2184411]That is not a correct statement...

What you are implying is God is a construction of man... That cannot be the case if he exists.

I think where a lot of people get tied up with the idea of God is they cannot separate a discussion about God from religion.

Einstein and Hawking (Hawking moreso recently) all believed in "something" greater than ourselves, I believe they had more of an issue with religion and how they spoke of that "something."[/QUOTE]

Sure, it is a correct statement. I am not talking about physically creating God, I'm talking about abstractly creating the concept of God. In this sense, God is man-made.