Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: The Chad Pennington Excuse Compilation

  1. #1

    The Chad Pennington Excuse Compilation

    Over the years, every time Chad has had a bad game it has rarely been his fault. Since Chad's reign as starter is over, it seems appropriate to compile a list of excuses that we can offer for Kellen if he struggles. It seems only appropriate to offer the new guy the same courtesy we gave Chad. So if Kellen struggles we can pick and choice from this list:

    "It wasn't a bad throw that led to that interception, the safety just made an incredible, super human like play on the ball."

    "He must be playing hurt."

    "The game plan was just awful."

    "Our defense sucks."

    "It's the oline that's killing us."

    "If Nuge would have made that 63 yard field goal in the snow, we would have won."

    "The defense and special teams really needs to score more points to help the offense out."

    "It's time management. That's the problem!"

    "Where's the running game? We need a running game to open up the passing game."

    "That fumble is simply not his fault. My cousin has a neighbor who knows the grounds keeper that works in the Meadowlands... he said the grass was usually slippery on Sunday."

    "Hacket is holding him back."

    "He could air it out. He chooses not to."

    "His intangibles seem off today."

    "If our wide receivers would stop having concussions, we might have a chance."

    "Even though we've lost five straight, he gives us our best chance to win!"

    "We win more with him than without him."


    etc. etc. etc. What's good for the Chad, is good for the Clemens.

    Now if Kellen suddenly starts winning games for us, in spite of everything that is wrong with the team, we have to assume he is a god.

    There is no other choice.
    Last edited by jxc; 11-01-2007 at 04:12 AM.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    1,670
    Great thread, but you forgot the "Without Chad the locker room will fall apart" line.

    Especially like these two:

    "Even though we've lost five straight, he gives us our best chance to win!"

    "If Nuge would have made that 63 yard field goal in the snow, we would have won."

    How many times have we heard these this year.

  3. #3
    "If the OL had just done their job, holding up the pass rush for 5-6 seconds, I could've completed that 3 yd pass!"

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    848
    yea im going to blame clemens' struggles on hackett

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    129

    hey!!! wow!!! look at that horse over there! It looks dead...

    ...Should I kick it?

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Blitz View Post
    Great thread, but you forgot the "Without Chad the locker room will fall apart" line.

    Especially like these two:

    "Even though we've lost five straight, he gives us our best chance to win!"

    "If Nuge would have made that 63 yard field goal in the snow, we would have won."

    How many times have we heard these this year.
    I like these

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Posts
    21,029


    The Pennington Bus...

    Don't forget the latest entry...

    "If the fans had been more supportive, he would've been able to get out of his funk"

    Also:

    "The WR's aren't open wide enough for Chad to get them the ball downfield"

  8. #8
    Why don't we blame Chad for coming back and playing with a torn up shoulder when the backup QB was awol on crack. Why don't we blame Chad for having two shoulder surgeries and still winning the job in camp last year against Patrick Ramsey. Why don't we blame Chad for the HC starting him instead of Clemens even though Chad's arm was clearly shot in TC, preseason and during the season.

    I'm no fan of Chad as our starting QB but anyone who can play at the NFL level after two shoulder surgeries and basically having an arm that probably couldn't compete with a lot of high school QB's shouldn't be ridiculed. He has been a problem because of injury, in spite of that since 04 through 06 he has clearly been the best QB on our roster. It's time to move on because we may have a better option? Why kill Chad for being as good as he could be under the circumstances. He gave up his body for the game this simply is pilling on. It's no different than ridiculing Al Toon or Chrebet for not being able to catch balls at the NFL level due to multiple concussions.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Why don't we blame Chad for coming back and playing with a torn up shoulder when the backup QB was awol on crack. Why don't we blame Chad for having two shoulder surgeries and still winning the job in camp last year against Patrick Ramsey. Why don't we blame Chad for the HC starting him instead of Clemens even though Chad's arm was clearly shot in TC, preseason and during the season.

    I'm no fan of Chad as our starting QB but anyone who can play at the NFL level after two shoulder surgeries and basically having an arm that probably couldn't compete with a lot of high school QB's shouldn't be ridiculed. He has been a problem because of injury, in spite of that since 04 through 06 he has clearly been the best QB on our roster. It's time to move on because we may have a better option? Why kill Chad for being as good as he could be under the circumstances. He gave up his body for the game this simply is pilling on. It's no different than ridiculing Al Toon or Chrebet for not being able to catch balls at the NFL level due to multiple concussions.
    I disagree. I can recall no precedent for the kind of support Chad got even when it was well past clear he could not get it done.

    Plenty of players have given all they had and not gotten a tenth the rope and support that Chad got.

    Being as good as he could be was far from enough.

    Shouldn't these answers have been obvious? I guess not to Chad fans...

    Chad Fans will continue to ask for these sort of responses because they really have not moved on themselves. If they had, they would not feel the continued need to make excuses for him.

    Someday the Chad Era and its lingering presence will be behind us. But we have not yet gotten there.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Why don't we blame Chad for coming back and playing with a torn up shoulder when the backup QB was awol on crack. Why don't we blame Chad for having two shoulder surgeries and still winning the job in camp last year against Patrick Ramsey. Why don't we blame Chad for the HC starting him instead of Clemens even though Chad's arm was clearly shot in TC, preseason and during the season.

    I'm no fan of Chad as our starting QB but anyone who can play at the NFL level after two shoulder surgeries and basically having an arm that probably couldn't compete with a lot of high school QB's shouldn't be ridiculed. He has been a problem because of injury, in spite of that since 04 through 06 he has clearly been the best QB on our roster. It's time to move on because we may have a better option? Why kill Chad for being as good as he could be under the circumstances. He gave up his body for the game this simply is pilling on. It's no different than ridiculing Al Toon or Chrebet for not being able to catch balls at the NFL level due to multiple concussions.


    Stop being such a party pooper.

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,648
    Eric:

    Make the move. Get Chad out of there. It's Kellen's time. Let's go.


    SAR I

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by vmxdry View Post
    ...Should I kick it?
    No, I think you should beat it.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Eric:

    Make the move. Get Chad out of there. It's Kellen's time. Let's go.


    SAR I
    Let's say a game comes up soon where Kellen jams his wrist or something, and has to come out. Who should go in?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Why don't we blame Chad for coming back and playing with a torn up shoulder when the backup QB was awol on crack. Why don't we blame Chad for having two shoulder surgeries and still winning the job in camp last year against Patrick Ramsey. Why don't we blame Chad for the HC starting him instead of Clemens even though Chad's arm was clearly shot in TC, preseason and during the season.

    I'm no fan of Chad as our starting QB but anyone who can play at the NFL level after two shoulder surgeries and basically having an arm that probably couldn't compete with a lot of high school QB's shouldn't be ridiculed. He has been a problem because of injury, in spite of that since 04 through 06 he has clearly been the best QB on our roster. It's time to move on because we may have a better option? Why kill Chad for being as good as he could be under the circumstances. He gave up his body for the game this simply is pilling on. It's no different than ridiculing Al Toon or Chrebet for not being able to catch balls at the NFL level due to multiple concussions.
    Excellent post, I have a whole new level of respect for Winston and can see he is very objective. I know I have had a few arguments/discussions in the past with him and he is/was not a fan of Chad.

  15. #15
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    bel air, md
    Posts
    585
    Guys, in case you didn't hear, Chad is benched, Kellen is starting. Let it go already!

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Posts
    21,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Why don't we blame Chad for coming back and playing with a torn up shoulder when the backup QB was awol on crack. Why don't we blame Chad for having two shoulder surgeries and still winning the job in camp last year against Patrick Ramsey. Why don't we blame Chad for the HC starting him instead of Clemens even though Chad's arm was clearly shot in TC, preseason and during the season.

    I'm no fan of Chad as our starting QB but anyone who can play at the NFL level after two shoulder surgeries and basically having an arm that probably couldn't compete with a lot of high school QB's shouldn't be ridiculed. He has been a problem because of injury, in spite of that since 04 through 06 he has clearly been the best QB on our roster. It's time to move on because we may have a better option? Why kill Chad for being as good as he could be under the circumstances. He gave up his body for the game this simply is pilling on. It's no different than ridiculing Al Toon or Chrebet for not being able to catch balls at the NFL level due to multiple concussions.
    Why does Chad get kudos for something players do all the time? I think that is part of what's maddening and cause's this kind of reaction. "Chad played hurt, isn't he great." Yea, well players play hurt every single week. Some people insist on aggrandizing Chad's very mediocre career to epic proportions.

    Also, this thread isn't about ridiculing Chad, it's about ridiculing his fan base..

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    I disagree. I can recall no precedent for the kind of support Chad got even when it was well past clear he could not get it done.

    Plenty of players have given all they had and not gotten a tenth the rope and support that Chad got.

    Being as good as he could be was far from enough.

    Shouldn't these answers have been obvious? I guess not to Chad fans...

    Chad Fans will continue to ask for these sort of responses because they really have not moved on themselves. If they had, they would not feel the continued need to make excuses for him.

    Someday the Chad Era and its lingering presence will be behind us. But we have not yet gotten there.
    Chad was drafted to be this team franchise QB. Last year we had an opportunity to draft his replacement should it have been done in the 05 off season probably but it wasn't. A lot of people think Mangini was being loyal to Chad or being stupid for not seeing the obvious. I believe he just wanted to wait and bring Clemens along on his schedule. Chad is no different than any other injured player, he can't perform up to a high standard. Now I agree the Chad supporters for the most part don't recognize that Chad isn't the same QB and are blindly hoping for past performance and don't see the current performance but that isn't a reason to bad mouth the guy for performing at a poor level because it's obvious his performance is being adversly impacted by his injuries.

    Wayne Chrebet should have been cut to protect his health and people talked about him like he wasn't done when they brought him back for the 05 season.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 11-01-2007 at 09:56 AM.

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by red75bronco View Post
    No, I think you should beat it.
    D@MMIT!!! serves me right for replying before my coffee....

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post
    Why does Chad get kudos for something players do all the time? I think that is part of what's maddening and cause's this kind of reaction. "Chad played hurt, isn't he great." Yea, well players play hurt every single week. Some people insist on aggrandizing Chad's very mediocre career to epic proportions.

    Also, this thread isn't about ridiculing Chad, it's about ridiculing his fan base..
    Who said Chad was great? I'm not saying that at all, what I'm saying is that you lack any class at all on this particular topic.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 11-01-2007 at 10:01 AM.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Posts
    21,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Who said Chad was great? I'm not saying that at all, what I'm saying is that you lack any class at all on this particular topic.
    How so? Again, this is taking a shot at Chad fans, not Chad...

    Even if it was ripping Chad, I wouldn't call it classless, just pointless. Turning to defending him after ripping him all this time is hypocritical and disengenuis. You must define that as class, I don't. At least I'm honest.

    Furthermore, and again, you act like he's suffered some tragic setback akin to getting diagnosed with Cancer. He's sitting on the bench for a whopping 8 games and then will be a starting QB in the NFL again next year, where's my tissue

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us