Thread: OT: Ridiculous, unecessary, silly stunt to be pulled by NBC during SNF

OT: Ridiculous, unecessary, silly stunt to be pulled by NBC during SNF

[QUOTE]NBC's NFL studio show to go green, lose lights

By Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY
    If you tune into NBC's Football Night in America on Sunday, don't assume it's been canceled and the last one out turned off the lights.
    NBC's studio show will deliberately go dark for the last minute of the show — before fully lit coverage of Dallas-Philadelphia kicks off at about 8:15 p.m. ET — and stay dark during the halftime and postgame studio shows.

"We're thinking of having Cris Collinsworth wear a miner's helmet with a light," says show producer Michael Weisman, seemingly serious. "And have candles. Or maybe Glow Sticks."

Weisman knows how this all sounds. "We're opening ourselves up for ridicule and sarcasm," he says. "It might be perceived as a stunt. But with 20 million people watching, some might say, 'Let's go turn out the lights in rooms we're not using.' "

Which is not something you'd expect NBC parent General Electric— founded by light bulb creator Thomas Edison — to be advocating.

But starting at 8 p.m. ET Sunday, NBC and its various cable channels begin a week of "green-themed" programming, weaving in environmental angles to all its shows.

To address that NBC "edict," Weisman says, FNA will show satellite shots of U.S. cities "to show all that electricity being used," turn its onscreen logos green and include Bob Costas talking to Matt Lauer, who'll be near the north pole to report for NBC's Today show next week. Says FNA analyst Jerome "The Bus" Bettis: "This week, I'm the hybrid bus."

And the supposed altruism, Weisman suggests, just might pay off. He worked on NBC's coverage of the 1986 Super Bowl, which included the screen going dark for a one-minute "intermission" during the pregame show. "And here's the irony," he says. "Here's all you need to know about sports TV. It was the highest-rated minute in the show — I kid you not!"

But Weisman concedes at least a couple at FNA should be afraid of the dark Sunday: "Maybe we won't need Costas' makeup person or Keith Olbermann's hair person."[/QUOTE]

They can't be serious. You know what probably eats up more power than a bunch of lightbulbs? TV cameras. Sound equipment. Countless monitors. Bob Costas robotic elevator shoes.

Why does NBC continue to insist to inject political bull**** into my football broadcast. Why is it that I can't even enjoy simple activities like watching the NFL without being preached to by a bunch of self-serving hypocrites? My contempt all started when they hired that arrogant, sanctimonious prick Olbermann to do commentary, and now they are reducing themselves to a ridiculous, P.C. stunt like this.

You know what? Maybe this will actually cause me to reflect upon power usage and save energy around my house. When SNF comes on, I'm turning off my TV. Thanks for idea, NBC.

[IMG]http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2007/11/01/olbermannx.jpg[/IMG] <-- self-righteous ass-hole

[QUOTE=pauliec;2190705]They can't be serious. You know what probably eats up more power than a bunch of lightbulbs? TV cameras. Sound equipment. Countless monitors. Bob Costas robotic elevator shoes.

Why does NBC continue to insist to inject political bull**** into my football broadcast. Why is it that I can't even enjoy simple activities like watching the NFL without being preached to by a bunch of self-serving hypocrites? My contempt all started when they hired that arrogant, sanctimonious prick Olbermann to do commentary, and now they are reducing themselves to a ridiculous, P.C. stunt like this.

You know what? Maybe this will actually cause me to reflect upon power usage and save energy around my house. When SNF comes on, I'm turning off my TV. Thanks for idea, NBC. [/QUOTE]

Paulie, I'm guessing you havent bought a Prius huh?

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Why the hostility...

I don't know why this issue is so Politicized.. common friggen sense says conservation is a good thing now, and will be absolutely necessary in the future..

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2;2190711]Paulie, I'm guessing you havent bought a Prius huh?[/QUOTE]

The chemicals used in batteries for the Prius cannot be easily disposed of, cause cancer and have a half-life of about a trillion years.....but they get 60 miles to the gallon and you burn less of the natural fossil fuels coming from the earth so that's good I guess.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=CTM;2190716]Why the hostility...

I don't know why this issue is so Politicized.. common friggen sense says conservation is a good thing now, and will be absolutely necessary in the future..[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've given Klecko $500 to unplug all of Sooth's computer servers at 4:00 p.m. today for 1 hour!

[QUOTE=pauliec;2190705]They can't be serious. You know what probably eats up more power than a bunch of lightbulbs? TV cameras. Sound equipment. Countless monitors. Bob Costas robotic elevator shoes.

You know what? Maybe this will actually cause me to reflect upon power usage and save energy around my house. When SNF comes on, I'm turning off my TV. Thanks for idea, NBC.

[IMG]http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2007/11/01/olbermannx.jpg[/IMG] <-- self-righteous ass-hole[/QUOTE]

When I watch football , football is all I want to watch. At halftime, show me highlight and analysis of FOOTBALL.
    Leave the crazy,hippie, save the world sh*t for ruining the rest of TV. But please please please leave football out of it.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2190727]Agreed. I've given Klecko $500 to unplug all of Sooth's computer servers at 4:00 p.m. today for 1 hour![/QUOTE]

Probably be good for all us nerds to see what daylight looks like for once..

To counter this, i am going to leave the lights on in my office building for the whole weekend.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

I keep the heat on 90 when I'm not at home, I keep the lights on during the daytime, and I drive my car unneccessarily whenever I can.

Remember, the environment is not your friend.

SAR I

A better energy-saving idea would be to permanently turn off Olbermann's mic.

[QUOTE=CTM;2190716]Why the hostility...

I don't know why this issue is so Politicized.. common friggen sense says conservation is a good thing now, and will be absolutely necessary in the future..[/QUOTE]

Common sense says to dim a couple of lightbulbs in the studio but keep the massive, energy-sucking HD cameras on and purring?