Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very OT: So, I think I found faith.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=RutgersJetFan;2190826]Growing up sucks. I was at my happiest when I did drugs and didn't give a damn.

Don't do it Gato.[/quote]+1

who's idea was it to have kids anyway? i know it wasn't mine. i had a sports car, knicks tickets, vacations all over the world, went out all the time... did i mention i had a sports car?
    [quoted, verbatim, from what another dad told me at our halloween party the other night]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2190847]Exactly.

Who do you think is the happier guy? The man with the mortgage and the nagging wife? Or the guy with the constant acid flashbacks and freedom to start drinking at 9 in the morning?

I know this because I've seen The Big Lebowski, and the Dude looked happy as hell to me for those two hours. Proof in the pudding, right there.[/QUOTE]

You're like Satan you know that?

Temptation temptation temptation.

Why don't you mail a prostitute with some coke, weed, shrooms, and acid in/on her to me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;2190854]You're like Satan you know that?

Temptation temptation temptation.

Why don't you mail a prostitute with some coke, weed, shrooms, and acid in/on her to me.[/QUOTE]

I'm giving you good advice!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2190849]And you don't believe in the term clutch? Hypocrisy

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

LOL. I was waiting for that post.

I'm analytical so sue me...I value things like makeup and stuff...and I'm pretty good at noticing good makeup/bad makeup...but I just don't think it's as important as actual performance. ESPECIALLY in baseball.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=isired;2190851]+1

who's idea was it to have kids anyway? i know it wasn't mine. i had a sports car, knicks tickets, vacations all over the world, went out all the time... did i mention i had a sports car?
    [quoted, verbatim, from what another dad told me at our halloween party the other night][/QUOTE]

Exactly.

And now you drive a minivan, don't you.....DON'T YOU?

Everyone give issy a hug, seriously, everyone get up and give this man a hug.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2190859]I'm giving you good advice![/QUOTE]

Send the whore.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=RutgersJetFan;2190863]Exactly.

And now you drive a minivan, don't you.....DON'T YOU?

Everyone give issy a hug, seriously, everyone get up and give this man a hug.[/quote][hangs head; sighs] you are correct sir.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh BTW: Is it weird that South Park kind of helped me figure out religion? Or that a fake, comical biography of Jesus did more for me than the Bible?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    everything is great...your wife loved your little red sportscar when you were dating. Until one day she calls it "impractical." And so it begins.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;2190805]Interesting read, SG.

You may want to read Ralph Waldo Emerson, one of the truly great American minds. Henry David Thoreau as well. They reached the same point you have and took it many steps further.

They are called the "Transcendentalists" because they sought understanding [B]beyond[/B] what the Church was saying about human existence.

Here's a link to a school of Buddhist practice: [URL="http://www.sgi-usa.org"]http://www.sgi-usa.org[/URL] Buddhists like me don't pray to a god, but look to uncover and utilize the great latent power that exists within each one of us. Definitely in line with Thoreau and Emerson.

Good luck, Senor.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a reading assignment for 10th grade AP English;). nothing like a little civil disobedience to get you going.:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;2190763][I]I[/I] control what I do. Why should I blame my parents for not pushing me when I never pushed me? How am I going to have any impact if I don't do anything but ***** about how I don't have the OPPORTUNITY to make an impact? Why should I stop believing in a higher power simply because I thought it was failing me? "God helps those who help themselves" remember?[/QUOTE]

God helps those who carry change.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BigJon13;2190917]Sounds like a reading assignment for 10th grade AP English;). nothing like a little civil disobedience to get you going.:D[/QUOTE]

I paid an asian kid to do my 10th grade reading assignment. Ironically...it was on Emerson, Thoreau, Walden, and Hawthorne...the big-time Transcendentalists.

The funny thing is...he got me a higher grade for me...I was interested in the writing and they started my obsession with getting back to the basics of humanity...I started writing because of them...and I did better on the big test than he did.

Complete and utter ownage. I kind of feel bad, but he made like 25 bucks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;2190848]Yea...it's kind of my issue with growing up.

Why shouldn't I get to do my drugs if I'm generally a good person though?[/QUOTE]

Drugs are a personal choice. I don't do it, others do. It doesn't matter to me unless it affects me or those I care about....unfortunately addiction, crime and many other bad aspects of drug use tend to intrude on the lives of those who have nothing to do with drugs. The guy pulling a tube in his basement alone on a Saturday night...no problem here. The cop that got shot by the drug dealer who brought that stuff into the country....not good.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 11-02-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=isired;2190851]+1

[quoted, verbatim, from what another dad told me at our halloween party the other night][/QUOTE]

Yeah, if only you were around to have talked your parents out of having kids! :D :P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    SenorGato, you might enjoy reading “Mere Christianity” by CS Lewis. He makes compelling, logical arguments.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=thebigragu;2190774]Youre about 2 steps away from becoming a born again christian[/QUOTE]

he'll have to change his sig first....what a shame....

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;2190763] So, I think I found faith. [/QUOTE]

it was in the pocket of your winter coat, wasn't it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great Post...

I think the suggestion of Mere Christianity is a great starting point for this. As is WestCoastOffense's Henry David Thoreau....

Read a book by Jon Krakaueur though about Christopher McCandless, and how sometimes this stuff can be taken to the extreme (Into the Wild...also a new film by Shaun Penn)

This was my point in the other thread on Jesus being white...You can never empirically prove God's existence, and guys like Dawkins in my opinion are writing what they do more to prove something to themselves than to anyone else.

Once you have that moment that hmm....maybe there is something going on here....its a great, frustrating, but meaningful ride.

Two pieces of advice:
    1) IF you like sex and want a woman in your life or kids one day, don't be a priest
    2) BE VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY leery of what Christian fundamentalism has to say on this...I believe Christ was who he says he was, but watch it...Christ condemns religion, so it is very scary that many who claim to be his followers have turned his teachings into a religion...THIS is what Dawkins has a problem with (as you say) I bet.

Also, check out two other guys: Brian D. Mclaren and Thomas Borg, especially Mclaren's "A search for what makes sense..." At this stage in your life, you will REALLY like that book.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2191033]Great Post...

I think the suggestion of Mere Christianity is a great starting point for this. As is WestCoastOffense's Henry David Thoreau....

Read a book by Jon Krakaueur though about Christopher McCandless, and how sometimes this stuff can be taken to the extreme (Into the Wild...also a new film by Shaun Penn)

This was my point in the other thread on Jesus being white...You can never empirically prove God's existence, and guys like Dawkins in my opinion are writing what they do more to prove something to themselves than to anyone else.

Once you have that moment that hmm....maybe there is something going on here....its a great, frustrating, but meaningful ride.

Two pieces of advice:
    1) IF you like sex and want a woman in your life or kids one day, don't be a priest
    [B]2) BE VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY leery of what Christian fundamentalism has to say on this...I believe Christ was who he says he was, but watch it...Christ condemns religion, so it is very scary that many who claim to be his followers have turned his teachings into a religion...THIS is what Dawkins has a problem with (as you say) I bet.[/B]

Also, check out two other guys: Brian D. Mclaren and Thomas Borg, especially Mclaren's "A search for what makes sense..." At this stage in your life, you will REALLY like that book.[/QUOTE]

Jesus is probably the most interesting human being of all time. I don't doubt that there was a prophet named Jesus. But like you said, he was not for organized religion. He wanted to people to BELIEVE what he said and actually DO what he said. He really is no different from Buddha. Hell, in the 17 or 18 year gap of his life missing in the Bible, who knows what he did? His preachings are very similar to the philosophy behind Buddhism, and calls for similar actions from human beings.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;2191503]Jesus is probably the most interesting human being of all time. I don't doubt that there was a prophet named Jesus. But like you said, he was not for organized religion. He wanted to people to BELIEVE what he said and actually DO what he said. He really is no different from Buddha. Hell, in the 17 or 18 year gap of his life missing in the Bible, who knows what he did? His preachings are very similar to the philosophy behind Buddhism, and calls for similar actions from human beings.[/QUOTE]

Now, please do not take this as a "born-again" moment...when I state be careful of fundamentalism, I mean by how they vehemently demand (in some cases) literalism be followed with the bible.

But when I say I believe Jesus was who he was, I mean he was God. To say he was no different than Buddha would be an incorrect statement.

Again, do NOT take that as a sermon, but from fact. But again, keep digging, keep asking, keep searching....

I think there are some solid posters on here who could answer a multitude of questions....do not be afraid to ask.