Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Top Issues of Importance for Election 2008

1-5) Politicians who actually speak the truth, follow the Constitution that they swear to uphold, and act on principle

[QUOTE=JetsCrazey;2195779]1-5) Politicians who actually speak the truth, follow the Constitution that they swear to uphold, and act on principle[/QUOTE]

Yikes. Good luck with that one.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2195849]Yikes. Good luck with that one.[/QUOTE]

We have one

My top five are:

[B]Foreign Policy[/B]: I think the situations in both afghanistan and Iraq need to be addressed. I don't know the absolute answer but I would assume an increase in troops in Afghanistan and a quicker transition to Iraqi's providing security in Iraq would make a good starting point.

[B]Taxes / Government Spending[/B]: Like everybody else I want less taxes and I want the government to become fiscally responsible. I do not want the expansion of any social programs ( welfare,medicare, health insurance , etc).

[B]Economy [/B] : The housing market is probably going to continue to correct itself and will put a strain on the economy. The government has a fine line to walk between bailing out people who cant pay their mortgage and letting the housing slump have a major impact on the economy. I do not want the government bailing out people who do not have the personal responsibility to pay their mortgage. ( see point 2)

[B]Education[/B] : The education system in this country is in shambles. Again I don't know the magic answer but something has to be done. The system, as it is , just doesn't work. Also included in this point is the shortage of American born engineers in todays Universities. This is an issue of National Security because as technology advances so will the need for engineers that hold a security clearance.

[B]Immigration[/B] : This is a two part issue. 1. change the laws and begin to enforce the new legislation. 2. Find a solution to address the illegal immigrants that are already here. I am absolutely against amnesty for illegals and I believe they should all be punished in some way shape or form. They are a burden on our society and absolutely need to be dealt with. They put a strain on all of the services in this country from education to healthcare.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2195959]We have one[/QUOTE]

who?

[QUOTE=JetsCrazey;2195779]1-5) Politicians who actually speak the truth, follow the Constitution that they swear to uphold, and act on principle[/QUOTE]

While I fully agree with the sentiment, the truth is "If only it were that simple".

Truth? Speak any kind of not-sunshine-and-daisies truth in America, and the mostly ignorant electorate will not elect you. And good luck defining truth in the first place, American Politics has so delineated how the two sides think, that they both speak "truth".....as they see it.

Follow the Constitution? Sounds simple, till you see again that the Constituion is not the same as the instuctions for building a Ikea Bookshelf. It was written in an awfully vague way, that just begs to be "interpriteded". So again, depending on the issue and the party, both sides ARE "following the Constitution"......as they see it.

And all politicians act on Principle. The Principle of Greed and Self Improvement.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2196068]While I fully agree with the sentiment, the truth is "If only it were that simple".

Truth? Speak any kind of not-sunshine-and-daisies truth in America, and the mostly ignorant electorate will not elect you. And good luck defining truth in the first place, American Politics has so delineated how the two sides think, that they both speak "truth".....as they see it.

Follow the Constitution? Sounds simple, till you see again that the Constituion is not the same as the instuctions for building a Ikea Bookshelf. It was written in an awfully vague way, that just begs to be "interpriteded". So again, depending on the issue and the party, both sides ARE "following the Constitution"......as they see it.

And all politicians act on Principle. The Principle of Greed and Self Improvement.[/QUOTE]

You are dead on. Most of the electorate don't want the truth they want to hear that everything thing is great, our country is the best in the world ourchidren are the brightest etc.....

1) War on terror
    2) Minimal Rederal Involvement in our daily lives
    3) Our Schools are a complete joke children graduating that cant spell and the dop out rate is scary!
    4) Health Care, Something must be done to get health care prices under control.
    5) Under any reason do not elect Hillary Clinton! She is a moron!

[QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;2196031]who?[/QUOTE]

Ron Paul. If someone disagrees – I’d like to see examples.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2191380]Educate me, my friend. Where have I gone of the rails would you say?

(Oh, and I've never said DOCTOR Paul was a "kook". I've said only the truth, that he is unelectable, him and his 2% poll numbers. Nothing more, nothing less).[/QUOTE]

Looking back, I do believe it was flushingjet who said this, not you. I apologize.

All Pro
    1. Iraq, Afghanistan, and Iran - Finish the job in Afghanistan, drastically reduce our footprint in Iraq, and use the international community and sanctions against Iran.

2. Alternative fuels - End our dependence on oil and subsequently hand the Middle East economies and terrorist organizations a large financial blow. Become a major player in the future global market of renewable energy, which will be a trillion dollar industry.

3. National/Border Security - Revamp our ports with state of the art technology to inspect everything coming into this country. National ID cards are inevitable. Invest heavily in improving our crumbling and out of date infrastructure.

4. Education - A dumb society is a weak society. Our reign as global superpower will come to a grinding hault if more resources are not put toward education, specifically mathematics and science.

5. Economics - Balance the budget and find a solution to Social Security. At my age, I do not want to continue contributing to a system that will crumble before I am ready to reap any of the rewards.

[QUOTE=parafly;2196273]1. Iraq, Afghanistan, and Iran - Finish the job in Afghanistan, drastically reduce our footprint in Iraq, and use the international community and sanctions against Iran.

2. Alternative fuels - End our dependence on oil and subsequently hand the Middle East economies and terrorist organizations a large financial blow. Become a major player in the future global market of renewable energy, which will be a trillion dollar industry.

3. National/Border Security - Revamp our ports with state of the art technology to inspect everything coming into this country. National ID cards are inevitable. Invest heavily in improving our crumbling and out of date infrastructure.

4. Education - A dumb society is a weak society. Our reign as global superpower will come to a grinding hault if more resources are not put toward education, specifically mathematics and science.

5. Economics - Balance the budget and find a solution to Social Security. At my age, I do not want to continue contributing to a system that will crumble before I am ready to reap any of the rewards.[/QUOTE]Can you show that we are not investing in math and sciences? We spend a lot of education. I don’t think the reason students are failing is due to money – it’s due to the parents failing at home. Did we spend more in prior decades? You could have the best facilities and teachers in the world but if the students aren’t open to learning and building towards their future – you’re not getting through to them. I think too many people have kids when they shouldn’t, don’t commit themselves to the responsibility that is parenting (which is why I don’t want kids), and possibly may be working too much to instill good value in their children.

In terms of investing in math and sciences, we should not limit the amount of foreign scientists and engineers who want to work in the US. We are still considered among the leaders in these industries but we are losing ground. It is absolutely short-sighted to enact “protectionist” policies towards the American students who can’t keep up. Maybe if they had more competition and saw more money at the end of the tunnel, they would step up their game. If we our science, engineering and tech companies to be as competitive as possible, let’s bring in the best talent available. This would be akin to the NBA or MLB limiting teams to American players just to save American “jobs.” It’s ridiculous. We worry about outsourcing and yet stifling our own companies’ growth is a major factor.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2196353]Can you show that we are not investing in math and sciences? We spend a lot of education. I don’t think the reason students are failing is due to money – it’s due to the parents failing at home. Did we spend more in prior decades? You could have the best facilities and teachers in the world but if the students aren’t open to learning and building towards their future – you’re not getting through to them. I think too many people have kids when they shouldn’t, don’t commit themselves to the responsibility that is parenting (which is why I don’t want kids), and possibly may be working too much to instill good value in their children.

In terms of investing in math and sciences, we should not limit the amount of foreign scientists and engineers who want to work in the US. We are still considered among the leaders in these industries but we are losing ground. It is absolutely short-sighted to enact “protectionist” policies towards the American students who can’t keep up. Maybe if they had more competition and saw more money at the end of the tunnel, they would step up their game. If we our science, engineering and tech companies to be as competitive as possible, let’s bring in the best talent available. This would be akin to the NBA or MLB limiting teams to American players just to save American “jobs.” It’s ridiculous. We worry about outsourcing and yet stifling our own companies’ growth is a major factor.[/QUOTE]

While there certainly are cases where parents are having kids they shouldn't, to simply hope "personal responsibility" can close what is becoming an enoormous and glaring education gap with other countries is a little naive, imo.

The fact is: We live in an age when the primary sources of jobs are the information and service industries. The days when you could get an unskilled job at a factory and get by simply showing up and working hard are ending, if they haven't already. We need an education system that prepares students for the skillset they'll need in the global economy, and we do not have it. Parents who don't have those skills --even honest and hardworking parents-- cannot pass them down on their own.

This is going to require a creative solution. We're going to have to try a lot of different things and figure out what works. That means investing more in public schools, but also being willing to try charter schools and specialty schools and culturally themed schools. Every community is unique, and every kid is unique. Different approaches will work well in different places.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2196353]Can you show that we are not investing in math and sciences? We spend a lot of education. I don’t think the reason students are failing is due to money – it’s due to the parents failing at home. Did we spend more in prior decades? You could have the best facilities and teachers in the world but if the students aren’t open to learning and building towards their future – you’re not getting through to them. I think too many people have kids when they shouldn’t, don’t commit themselves to the responsibility that is parenting (which is why I don’t want kids), and possibly may be working too much to instill good value in their children.

In terms of investing in math and sciences, we should not limit the amount of foreign scientists and engineers who want to work in the US. We are still considered among the leaders in these industries but we are losing ground. It is absolutely short-sighted to enact “protectionist” policies towards the American students who can’t keep up. Maybe if they had more competition and saw more money at the end of the tunnel, they would step up their game. If we our science, engineering and tech companies to be as competitive as possible, let’s bring in the best talent available. This would be akin to the NBA or MLB limiting teams to American players just to save American “jobs.” It’s ridiculous. We worry about outsourcing and yet stifling our own companies’ growth is a major factor.[/QUOTE]

i still have not seen your top 5 issues posted yet?

i agree with you about competition getting the Americans to step up their game and that is great but the science and engineering is becoming a National Security Issue. We need American scientst and engineers to work not just on classified systems but on commercial systems that could be used for classified operations in the future. There is a whole lot more the the science and engineering problem thn meets the eye. Our Government greatly leverages the research and development being done in today's best Universities.

All Pro

I agree with you that a significant factor in having subpar education in this country is based on parenting. However, parenting and culture in general are only part of the problem.

It's not only about throwing money at the problem, which I admit could have been the interpretation to my first post. That is never an effective solution unless it is done intelligently.

Parenting cannot be controlled by the governement directly, so should our country just give up and hope that the culture improves on its own? What we should do is provide incentives to families that heavily invest in obtaining quality education for their children. We should also make teaching in high school and below a more financially competitive profession.

I also agree with bringing in foreign scientists, but that doesn't mean that education in mathematics and science should continue to be as neglected at its current level. I would like to see higher standards set for these fields. No more one lab science and one math course, and you're done. Math and science are essential building blocks in life, they should not be treated like a high school Spanish course.

Veteran
    1-[B]Energy Policy[/B] - Being dependent on foreign fuel and the whims of OPEC nations is not helping national security. We need alternative fuels and alternative fuel infrastructure.

2- [B]A Domestic Agenda[/B] - Dubya had the smallest domestic agenda in at least 44 years. He has pushed to demolish social security, spoken a little about immigration, passed and underfunded No Child Left Behind, wanted to ban gay marriage, and pushed more tax cuts. So basically he's done nothing. I know he had two wars and the creation of the Dept. of Homeland Security, but after eight years his administration will have accomplished diddly-squat domestically.

3- [B]Fiscal Responsibility[/B] - The National Debt has continued to increase an average of $1.44 billion per day since September 29, 2006. Could it be a Republican ploy to undermine social security and the remnants of FDR's social programs. I don't know and I don't care. I just don't feel comfortable with us owing billions of dollars to OPEC nations and China.

4- [B]Diplomacy and Allies[/B] - Nixon went to China, Reagan conversed with the USSR, Bush has pledged economic aid to North Korea after they tested their nukes in the vicinity of Japan... let's remember that if we legitimize our radical enemies by downplaying rational dialogue we are only hurting ourselves. Let's bring back diplomacy in foreign relations. On the other note, we need to look at who our real allies are and who we simply stopped talking to because they called out our bad foreign policy. Saudi Arabia, Pakistan = Not our real allies. France, Germany = Allies

5- [B]Education[/B] -Don't need to go into much detail... we're getting passed over by many countries. I'm not an expert on this type of policy but what we're doing now clearly isn't working.

6- [B]Healthcare[/B] - See above.

7- [B]Prisons[/B] - See above.

8- [B]Immigration [/B]- It comes down to security. If Mexicans can sneak into the country then other people could sneak things into the country.

Jets Insider VIP
    Math and science are not cool in America. Kids who excel in math and science get picked on and beat up by kids who can run, jump and skip...and teachers do nothing about it, for the most part.

In India, the most popular kids are also the smartest kids. In the rest of the world, it is considered "cool" to be smart. In America, that isn't so. That is, unit adulthood...when the smart kids are hiring the kids who like to play with balls to mow their grass and wash their cars...

;)

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2196413]While there certainly are cases where parents are having kids they shouldn't, to simply hope "personal responsibility" can close what is becoming an enoormous and glaring education gap with other countries is a little naive, imo.

The fact is: We live in an age when the primary sources of jobs are the information and service industries. The days when you could get an unskilled job at a factory and get by simply showing up and working hard are ending, if they haven't already. We need an education system that prepares students for the skillset they'll need in the global economy, and we do not have it. Parents who don't have those skills --even honest and hardworking parents-- cannot pass them down on their own.

This is going to require a creative solution. We're going to have to try a lot of different things and figure out what works. That means investing more in public schools, but also being willing to try charter schools and specialty schools and culturally themed schools. Every community is unique, and every kid is unique. Different approaches will work well in different places.[/QUOTE]

If parents don't raise a child right, there is no way government will be able to fix it. that's why it's so crucial.

we are fortunate we can make a living through sales or other non-manufacturing services because it's a much better quality of life. you don't need special preparation to adapt to this economy. my parents work blue collar jobs. i control their 401K because they barely know what one is and yet i got a job in the financial industry.

you know what they taught me? work hard and live up to your potential. you do that and the options will come to you. if you don't go to the best HS - tough - bust your butt and get into your state school. there are still tons of opportunities there if you want it.

kids today don't know how lucky they have it and they squander tremendous opportunities.

investing more in public schools? why?

[QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;2196432]i still have not seen your top 5 issues posted yet?

i agree with you about competition getting the Americans to step up their game and that is great but the science and engineering is becoming a National Security Issue. We need American scientst and engineers to work not just on classified systems but on commercial systems that could be used for classified operations in the future. There is a whole lot more the the science and engineering problem thn meets the eye. Our Government greatly leverages the research and development being done in today's best Universities.[/QUOTE]
    no, we need the best scientists and engineers working for American companies. i don't want to sacrifice talent for nationalism surely, the best companies are smart enough to enact controls that protect against corruption.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2197694]If parents don't raise a child right, there is no way government will be able to fix it. that's why it's so crucial.

we are fortunate we can make a living through sales or other non-manufacturing services because it's a much better quality of life. you don't need special preparation to adapt to this economy. my parents work blue collar jobs. i control their 401K because they barely know what one is and yet i got a job in the financial industry.

you know what they taught me? work hard and live up to your potential. you do that and the options will come to you. if you don't go to the best HS - tough - bust your butt and get into your state school. there are still tons of opportunities there if you want it.

kids today don't know how lucky they have it and they squander tremendous opportunities.

investing more in public schools? why?[/QUOTE]

I agree the education system doesn't need more money. I would rather allow families of students to get exempt from their taxes which go to education if they send there kids to private school. The private sector can solve this problem.