Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Paul just rendered media generated polls obsolete.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2198487]At the cost of 2 billion dollars a week...I could really care less of where those chips fall. You know, because our currant strategy is MUCH MUCH better. Throw almost a trillion dollars up in the air, let the Iraqis plunder American taxpayer dollars and then...pfffffft! Who cares where it all ended up. right?[/QUOTE]

Easy, if you think the world is really that simple.

If leaving too rashly is the spark that starts the next World War, the costs we're bearing now (in lives and cash) will seem like pocket change.

As much as most of us want out, it still has to be handled correctly. Screaming "GET OUT NOW NO MATTER WHAT" doesn't work.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2198552]Electabillity.

The rest is meaningless tripe if he gets 2% of any given Vote in the Election, right? He could be Ghandi crossbred with Einstein, if he gets 2% of the vote, all that jibberjabber and fundraising don't mean ****e.

I mean, the point of all this IS to get elected right? Not to just be the "Dark Horse Guy all the Liberals and Anti-War and Altternative and Fringe Republicans like", right?[/QUOTE]
    I don’t think he will win either but that doesn’t mean his message isn’t important. 2%? I think people are underestimating him. He’s raising a TON of money and his solid support will only grow as he uses his funds to get the word out.

Obviously, the point is to get elected but even if he doesn’t – the internet is helping the younger generation realize that the current Republicrats are not acceptable and we don’t have to take it anymore. A shift is happening.
    Last edited by BrooklynBound; 11-06-2007 at 02:26 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2198644]I don’t think he will win either but that doesn’t mean his message isn’t important. 2%? I think people are underestimating him. He’s raising a TON of money and his solid support will only grow as he uses his funds to get the word out.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but frankly I think you've lost your objectivity when it comes to this guy. It's clear you'd absolutely LOVE it if he were elected, and despite the fact that the man has almost no chance at all, you keep talking him and his message up.

Let me ask you a favor Brook, since you know this guy's message so well. Lay it out, issue by issue. Tell me what he stands for (in order of importance)that is so outragiously good and right that I would just have to support him. Give me the list.

If his message is so important, it shouldn't be hard for you to do. And I want it in YOUR words, not some politcal double-speak. Don't link me a website, don't link some propaganda. YOU tell me what his message is (and what makes it so valid) and why I should care at all about a guy with literally no support outside the fringe.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2198647]Fair enough, but frankly I think you've lost your objectivity when it comes to this guy. It's clear you'd absolutely LOVE it if he were elected, and despite the fact that the man has almost no chance at all, you keep talking him and his message up.

Let me ask you a favor Brook, since you know this guy's message so well. Lay it out, issue by issue. Tell me what he stands for (in order of importance)that is so outragiously good and right that I would just have to support him. Give me the list.

If his message is so important, it shouldn't be hard for you to do. And I want it in YOUR words, not some politcal double-speak. Don't link me a website, don't link some propaganda. YOU tell me what his message is (and what makes it so valid) and why I should care at all about a guy with literally no support outside the fringe.[/QUOTE]

I am certainly biased but I’ve already said I don’t think he will win – I just think his support is underestimated by people here. Money matters – and he’s got it. His poll numbers will go up when he’s able to buy advertising through traditional avenues. I think him or someone of his ilk will be very promising in the next election since he will have a “carryover” effect.

. I’m definitely passionate about him, I’ve just never found a candidate who held personal views but felt it freedom trumped legislating morality. I’ve seen no evidence that he favors any special interest groups or promoting the machine – and I can’t say that about any other major candidate. But okay, I will put together his issues in my own words when I get out of work tonight.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2198683]I am certainly biased but I’ve already said I don’t think he will win – I just think his support is underestimated by people here. Money matters – and he’s got it. His poll numbers will go up when he’s able to buy advertising through traditional avenues. I think him or someone of his ilk will be very promising in the next election since he will have a “carryover” effect.

. I’m definitely passionate about him, I’ve just never found a candidate who held personal views but felt it freedom trumped legislating morality. I’ve seen no evidence that he favors any special interest groups or promoting the machine – and I can’t say that about any other major candidate. But okay, I will put together his issues in my own words when I get out of work tonight.[/QUOTE]

Man Crush.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ron Paul is the only candidate with serious money that can prevent WWIII. The other candidates (incl. Hillary and Obama) want more war and occupation, and that will only intensify Russia and Iran's dislike of American policy, and that will only increase the chance of blowback.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 11-06-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2198647]Fair enough, but frankly I think you've lost your objectivity when it comes to this guy. It's clear you'd absolutely LOVE it if he were elected, and despite the fact that the man has almost no chance at all, you keep talking him and his message up.

If his message is so important, it shouldn't be hard for you to do. And I want it in YOUR words, not some politcal double-speak. Don't link me a website, don't link some propaganda. YOU tell me what his message is (and what makes it so valid) and why I should care at all about a guy with literally no support outside the fringe.[/QUOTE]

Bull Sh*T Media polls mean nothing... the only thing they do is allow the media to influence the publics opinion to get the matchup they want for the general election.

1. The truth is Ron Paul's name isn't on half of these opinion polls. His name isn't even given as a choice.

2. Many Ron Paul supporters do not have landlines, they have cell phones. (30 to 18 year olds)

3. Paul has raised over 14 million dollars... 4.2 million yesterday

Bottom line... if you think Ron Paul's support is at 2% your living in Fantasy land.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jefethegreat;2198823]Bull Sh*T Media polls mean nothing.[/QUOTE]

I've said that for years on this very forum, actually. But for once, I tend to believe them when it comes to Pauls support in the Republican Primaries.

They'll be here soon enough, we'll all see for ourselves then I suppose, exactly how much support Paul does or does not have in cold hard numbers.

Of course Jefe, I would put the same question to you I did to my friend Brooklyn....can you explain in simple languge why Paul is such an obvious great choice, worthy of support on important issues, without using political doublespeak or propaganda tripe?

For example, JetCrazy above you uses just such tripe-ridden non-speak languge, full of meaningless jibber-jabber without substance: "Paul is the only one who can avoid WWIII"? Really? Care to explain how? His saying "He'll withdraw the Troops from Iraq and Afganistan" isn't exactly enough, frankly, and fails to address the serious issues such a move could potentially cause. As likely as it may be to avoid WWIII, a poorly planned mass-exodus could, in many minds, be the spark that CAUSES a potential WWIII.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    all hail RuPaulistinian.....the Guy Fawkes of the 21st century....this guy is the Walter Thomas of the '08 election- an internet icon and nothing more...

[QUOTE][B]Ron Paul uses Guy Fawkes to fire up campaign and raise $4.3m in a day

Tom Baldwin in Washington [/B]

Guy Fawkes, a 17th-century English mercenary and terrorist who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament, is an unlikely figurehead for a US Republican presidential candidate.

But Ron Paul is neither a run-of-the-mill Republican nor a typical presidential aspirant.

His supporters announced yesterday that they had smashed Republican fundraising records by hauling in a total of $4.3 million (£2 million) for his campaign from more than 37,000 donors over the previous 24 hours.

And they did it online, through the website ThisNovember5th.com, where Mr Paul’s speeches have been mashed up with clips of the film V for Vendetta, in which a sinister – but ultimately heroic – terrorist modelled on Fawkes destroys a fascist government in Britain. “Remember, remember, the fifth of November” is moved from British nursery rhyme to a campaign slogan in America.

Mr Paul, a 72-year-old ten-term Texas congressman, has been dismissed widely as a “kook” in the 2008 race. He advocates “Austrian economics”, a return to the gold standard and an end to the Iraq war.

[B]He also wants the withdrawal of all American troops from abroad and the abolition of most government departments, including Energy, Education and Homeland Security. [/B]

[B]Some of his supporters believe that 9/11 was an inside job by the American Government, others are white supremacists. [/B] [I](they must've done a phone interview with tangenius for the first part...)[/I]Much to his own surprise, Mr Paul has become a cult figure among libertarians and students who pack rallies wearing “Ron Paul Revolution” T-shirts.

[B]Like Howard Dean four years ago, it is the internet and a host of unofficial websites that are propelling him forward: Mr Paul’s name is the most searched of any candidate, his YouTube videos are the most watched and he regularly wins online polls after Republican presidential debates.

Unlike Mr Dean, who came close to winning the 2004 Democratic nomination, Mr Paul stands no chance of becoming the Republicans’ 2008 nominee. In national opinion polls he barely registers, and even in New Hamp-shire – the “live free or die” state – he gets an average of only 3.6 per cent support, according to RealClearPolitics.com, which tracks such surveys. [/B]

But his phenomenal fundraising achievements mean that Mr Paul has more than mere nuisance value in this White House race. In the third quarter of this year he raised $5.3 million, an amount similar to that generated by the former front-runner John McCain. He has set a goal of raising a further $12 million by the end of the year.

Yesterday Mr Paul attributed the record-breaking achievement to a “powerful message” and the frustration of people “who do not like the war and do not like the economy”.

Asked whether it was appropriate to use the image of Fawkes and November 5 in this way, he said that it was “just a gimmick”. He added that he had never spoken to organisers of the website. “We advocate a nonviolent – but revolutionary – approach.”

His spokesman issued a further clarification, saying that Mr Paul did not support blowing up parliaments or assassinating kings.

“He wants to demolish things like the Department of Education, but we can do that very peacefully.”

[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2821161.ece[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2199300]all hail RuPaulistinian.....the Guy Fawkes of the 21st century....this guy is the Walter Thomas of the '08 election- an internet icon and nothing more...

[url]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2821161.ece[/url][/QUOTE]

Some of his supporters believe...? Please, that's all you've got? I guess if you've got nothing on the candidate go after a section of his supporters. What does that have to do with anything? What about the dregs of the other parties' supporters?

As previously mentioned, the traditional media polls are not indicative of Paul's support. We will see after Iowa.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2199345]Some of his supporters believe...? Please, that's all you've got? I guess if you've got nothing on the candidate go after a section of his supporters. What does that have to do with anything? What about the dregs of the other parties' supporters?

As previously mentioned, the traditional media polls are not indicative of Paul's support. We will see after Iowa.[/QUOTE]

white supremists.....9-11 truthers....shows the element of people who support this kook....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2199402]white supremists.....9-11 truthers....shows the element of people who support this kook....[/QUOTE]

No, they show that idiots support every political party. You really don't want to go down this road. There is nothing kooky about him. None of his policies or statement suggest that he supports white supremacy or 9-11 Truthers. Straw man's argument. Sorry, time to find a new way to discredit him.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2199405]No, they show that idiots support every political party. You really don't want to go down this road. There is nothing kooky about him. None of his policies or statement suggest that he supports white supremacy or 9-11 Truthers. Straw man's argument. Sorry, time to find a new way to discredit him.[/QUOTE]

right....it's his isolationist policies, disbanding just about all government departments and Dr. No's dislike for earmarks, except of course for the $400 million he put forth in the last congressional term, that makes him certifiable....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2199421]right....it's his isolationist policies, disbanding just about all government departments and Dr. No's dislike for earmarks, except of course for the $400 million he put forth in the last congressional term, that makes him certifiable....[/QUOTE]

He's not an isolationist - part of being an isolationist is that you are a protectionist. Paul is the biggest free trade candidate out there. Man, you guys really need to brush up on your issues.

Link to his earmark bill, please.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2199443]He's not an isolationist - part of being an isolationist is that you are a protectionist. Paul is the biggest free trade candidate out there. Man, you guys really need to brush up on your issues.

Link to his earmark bill, please.[/QUOTE]

he obviously has lots in common with Forest Gump....

[url]http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118636043871288806.html?mod=opinion_main_review_and_outlooks[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by BrooklynBound; 11-06-2007 at 10:13 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2199473]he obviously has lots in common with Forest Gump....

[url]http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118636043871288806.html?mod=opinion_main_review_and_outlooks[/url][/QUOTE]

You just don't get it, do you? Earmarks are money that has already been appropriated by the government. It has already been spent. Ron Paul votes against these bills but puts in earmarks for his constituents in the unfortunate event the bill passes. If it doesn't go to his district, it goes to someone else. This doesn't create any additional spending. What is the problem here? You guys keep trying to nail Paul on something but you'll have to do better than that.

Also, Paul is one of ten Congressmen to publicly disclose his earmarks. Did any other candidate do this? Why not?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2198984]I've said that for years on this very forum, actually. But for once, I tend to believe them when it comes to Pauls support in the Republican Primaries.

They'll be here soon enough, we'll all see for ourselves then I suppose, exactly how much support Paul does or does not have in cold hard numbers.

Of course Jefe, I would put the same question to you I did to my friend Brooklyn....can you explain in simple languge why Paul is such an obvious great choice, worthy of support on important issues, without using political doublespeak or propaganda tripe?

For example, JetCrazy above you uses just such tripe-ridden non-speak languge, full of meaningless jibber-jabber without substance: "Paul is the only one who can avoid WWIII"? Really? Care to explain how? His saying "He'll withdraw the Troops from Iraq and Afganistan" isn't exactly enough, frankly, and fails to address the serious issues such a move could potentially cause. As likely as it may be to avoid WWIII, a poorly planned mass-exodus could, in many minds, be the spark that CAUSES a potential WWIII.[/QUOTE]

Dr. Paul is great is because his arguments are back up by facts and research. Dr. Paul's voting record is flawless. He does not take corporate donations and he is the only candidate who fully and truly respects the constitution.

On his foreign policy, he believes we need to bring the guns home. We need to make peace with nations even if we do not agree. He believes force is a last resort and that only congress can declare war.

On the economy, he is the only politican answering real problems with real answers. Inflation, the housing market, lack of industry, Social Security, Boarder control, deficit spending, welfare.

Bottom Line: Dr. Paul is consistently right about issues across the board. What people have to realize is, it is not Paul's foreign policy that is exciting, it is the opportunities it bring to the domestic agenda.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2199528]You just don't get it, do you? Earmarks are money that has already been appropriated by the government. It has already been spent. Ron Paul votes against these bills but puts in earmarks for his constituents in the unfortunate event the bill passes. If it doesn't go to his district, it goes to someone else. This doesn't create any additional spending. What is the problem here? You guys keep trying to nail Paul on something but you'll have to do better than that.

Also, Paul is one of ten Congressmen to publicly disclose his earmarks. Did any other candidate do this? Why not?[/QUOTE]

you're right...I don't get it....we'll keep trying to nail RuPaul and you'll just find another hysterical way to justify his actions...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2199589]you're right...I don't get it....we'll keep trying to nail RuPaul and you'll just find another hysterical way to justify his actions...[/QUOTE]

Again, tell me what the problem is.