Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Official Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Thread

I had my first lesson tonight. It's as much fun as I thought it would be. I stayed and watched the advanced class and there is a lot of substance to make me believe that I chose the right school.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AJGunns View Post
    I had my first lesson tonight. It's as much fun as I thought it would be. I stayed and watched the advanced class and there is a lot of substance to make me believe that I chose the right school.
    which school?

All Pro
    Good for you AJ, keep us posted on how things go. My twelve year old finished his Black Belt in Tae Kwon DO and started grappling this summer. He loves it. I also stay and watch a class they have with upper belts and invited guest, really amazing stuff. Since a surgery I can't kneel on either knee. Or I would like to learn myself, hoefully eventually I can.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
    Good for you AJ, keep us posted on how things go. My twelve year old finished his Black Belt in Tae Kwon DO and started grappling this summer. He loves it. I also stay and watch a class they have with upper belts and invited guest, really amazing stuff. Since a surgery I can't kneel on either knee. Or I would like to learn myself, hoefully eventually I can.
    Thanks man!

You can probably still do BJJ without kneeling but it will be extremely hard. I say go for it!

My school is Brooklyn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Professor Gene Dunn runs the whole thing. He is a student of Renzo.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Mick View Post
    I did six months of some kind of Kempo over 15 years ago, it mixed Jiu Jitsu, Kung Fu and boxing. The Kung Fu was a joke, it is the most wasted movements I've ever seen, it is more for shows. There was a lot of circle movements and funny foot placement. The Katas look good when someone small and graceful is doing it but they sucked for fighting and I was never small and graceful, I sucked at this part.

Kempo striking part was good a lot of low kicks and straight punchs. Normal 8 point blocking system was good but it took a long time to do it fast. I have used the kicks at least 20 times during fights or breaking up fights, they work great to get guys off balances so you can grab them.

The Jiu Jitsu part was easy, I was still doing freestyle wrestling so I went right into the top of the class in that part. Normal arm bars, wrist locks, ankle locks and chokes set up by low kicks and blocking.

Overall not a bad fighting form, I wish they would have gotten rid of the more of the Kung Fu influence. I would love to have a gym that teachs wrestling, Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai Kickboxing as a combined fighting style.

i do something similar to this. except there is no kung fu. officially it's called kenpo ju-jitsu. but we train everything from traditional JJJ to BJJ techniques. knife and club disarming and defenses. bear hugs, headlock and choke defenses etc etc...and also Judo throws and takedowns. and there's the kenpo aspect which involves the striking and trapping hands type stuff. overall it's a very balanced school, and it's really as complete a self-defense system as you can get (nothing's perfect). i like it alot. the BJJ part is good, but we do it more self-defense oriented as opposed to sports oriented......it's a must, imo to learn what to do when on the ground, in case you happen to end up there. but i'm all about either being on top on the ground and controlling the situation that way...or if i'm in guard i'm looking to sweep quickly and get off my back. i'm not looking to triangle choke someone in a street fight...although we do practice those things, i don't want to be on the ground in a street fight really.
    Last edited by neckdemon; 07-23-2008 at 08:04 PM.

I am loving BJJ! I am getting in better shape with each class. My stamina is slowly improving and I am understanding the skill portion a little better.

Richardo Almeida is teaching class on August 15. I can't wait!

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks man!

You can probably still do BJJ without kneeling but it will be extremely hard. I say go for it!

My school is Brooklyn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Professor Gene Dunn runs the whole thing. He is a student of Renzo.
    That seems like a great choice of a school. Jiu Jitsu is a great journey. The funny thing is you will see Jiu Jitsu affect your life much more when you are off the mat than on it. The lessons learned on the mat parallel life in general.

Enjoy the ride...

Life comes at you hard sometimes! One of my instructors was surrounded by 5 people and stabbed repeatedly with a bottle. The surgeon said that he was moments from death and his physical health and ability to deflect some of the blows saved his life.

My instructor is 19 years old and is a Blue Belt in Jiu-Jitsu and a Black Belt in Shotokan Karate.

He used a move that he learned on Friday from Ricardo Almeida to create some distance and allow some bystanders to intervene. The Martial Arts saved his life!