Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Trade is the Awsome-ist!

Jets Insider VIP

Free Trade is the Awsome-ist!

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,309318,00.html[/url]

[QUOTE]Millions of Chinese-made toys for children have been pulled from shelves in North America and Australia after scientists found they contain a chemical that converts into a powerful date rape drug when ingested. Two children in the U.S. and three in Australia were hospitalized after swallowing the beads.

With only seven weeks until Christmas, the recall is yet another blow to the toy industry ó already bruised by a slew of recalls this past summer.

In the United States, the toy goes by the name Aqua Dots, a highly popular holiday toy distributed by Toronto-based Spin Master Toys. They are called Bindeez in Australia, where they were named toy of the year at an industry function earlier this year.

It could not immediately be learned whether Aqua Dots beads are made in the same factories as the Bindeez product. Both are sold by Australia-based Moose Enterprises.

The toy beads are sold in general merchandise stores and over the Internet for use in arts and crafts projects. They can be arranged into designs and fused together when sprayed with water.[/QUOTE]

Lead paint, anti-freeze, GHB....oh my!

It's such a good thing that China's market isn't as highly regulated as our own. Regulations are bad. What about my freedom to feed my kids lead paint? What about the children???

I love China! I love China! Free trade partner! I love China!

China is doing the work AQ can't.

don't worry Bush has the best interests of real people at heart, regardless of how it affects corporations.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2201628]don't worry Bush has the best interests of real people at heart, regardless of how it affects corporations.[/QUOTE]

So the China recall issue.....is Bush's Fault? Ok.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=cr726;2201616]China is doing the work AQ can't.[/QUOTE]

Next generation terrorism. :yes:

Forget about suicide bombers. At some point terrorism will evolve into tainting our food supplies, products, medication, etc. Instead of focusing on strengthening our vulnerabilities, we are bogged down policing the streets of Iraq. Yay Bush.

the majority of the toys coming from china are from American companies that are based in china in order to get cheaper labor and avoid the US regulations

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2201640]So the China recall issue.....is Bush's Fault? Ok.[/QUOTE]

Of course it is- so is global warming, the falling dollar and Britney Spears' poor parenting skills. You should read this board more often. Oh yeah, I forgot, Bush "stole" the 2000 election, too. ;)

yeah you guys are right, nothing is Bush's fault, he's just some guy on vacation all the time.

he could... ya know... do something about it but that's not his problem

it will be hillary or obama's problem at which point everything will be their fault.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2201694]he could... ya know... do something about it but that's not his problem [/QUOTE]

Ok. You seem to know what you're talking about.

So......such as what? Specifics please.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=The Jets;2201647]the majority of the toys coming from china are from American companies that are based in china in order to get cheaper labor and avoid the US regulations[/QUOTE]

Not true. Most companies contract with factories over there to produce the products.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2201694]yeah you guys are right, nothing is Bush's fault, he's just some guy on vacation all the time.

[B]it will be hillary or obama's problem [/B]at which point everything will be their fault.[/QUOTE]

No it won't.;)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2201705]Ok. You seem to know what you're talking about.

So......such as what? Specifics please.[/QUOTE]

Really, I don't get it. They all complain that Bush is in bed with Big Business yet now they WANT Bush to bail out Big Business? Sounds like a Hillary debate to me.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Warfish;2201705]Ok. You seem to know what you're talking about.

So......such as what? Specifics please.[/QUOTE]

obviously he should sit there and do nothing, cause that's the solution to everything.

the dollar falls to record low against the Euro?
    China sending dangerous goods?
    illegal immegrants running wild?
    infrastructure crumbling?
    Iraq a mess?

don't do anything, just stay the course, that's the Dubya way. maybe cut taxes for the heck of it.

warfish not that you really care but you have to realize there are ways to make sure China doesn't send dangerous goods. they cross customs no? who's responsibility is US Customs?

here's a hint it's not Hillary Clinton's.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2201744]obviously he should sit there and do nothing, cause that's the solution to everything.

the dollar falls to record low against the Euro?
    China sending dangerous goods?
    illegal immegrants running wild?
    infrastructure crumbling?
    Iraq a mess?

don't do anything, just stay the course, that's the Dubya way. maybe cut taxes for the heck of it.

warfish not that you really care but you have to realize there are ways to make sure China doesn't send dangerous goods. they cross customs no? who's responsibility is US Customs?

here's a hint it's not Hillary Clinton's.[/QUOTE]

Wow Bit, that just an absolutely SCATHING callout of Bush. Kudos to you good sir.

But....uh.....you didn't really answer the question.

So again, what should he (Bush) do, specificly, right now, to fix this horrible horrible earth shattering problem? You say "it goes through Customs" and vague imply that Bush is in "charge" of Customs. Ok, so what rules changes should he personally order right now to fix it? Who should he fire, should he fire anyone? Who should he replace that person with? Why them? Where is the failing now? The staff? The Management of the Dept? The rules they follow? The Policies? Where is the failing?

After all, unless you think Bush should go down and personally rewrite all of the Customs codes, rules, polciies and procedures as well as inspecting every box coming into the US himself, personally, I think we need more than what you've offered up so far. I mean, you don't actually think Bush wrote the Customs Rules, do you?

I mean, you called him out for this issue, and laid the blame squarely at his feet. To do that with any level of intellectual legitimacy, you much have a deep, wide and strong knowledge on International Trade, Customs Dept. workings and policies, and a personal knowledge of the person currently in charge of that Dept, and how they have failed (with specifics), right?

Right?

[QUOTE=bitonti;2201694]yeah you guys are right, nothing is Bush's fault, he's just some guy on vacation all the time.

it will be hillary or obama's problem at which point everything will be their fault.[/QUOTE]

No, no, no. Chinese manufacturers cheating business partners - that's clearly Bush's fault. No one would ever think otherwise.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2201769]No, no, no. Chinese manufacturers cheating business partners - that's clearly Bush's fault. No one would ever think otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Who was taking political donations from Chinese nationals? Hmmmm...

This would be a great argument if GW just got into office. His appointments are truly at issue here. Anyone who disagreed with him was streeted and this is what we got.

Isn't Bush giving the GOP what is wants right now. The GOP always complains that gov't doesn't work and the last 7 years has strengthen their case. Congrats.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2201764]Wow Bit, that just an absolutely SCATHING callout of Bush. Kudos to you good sir.

So again, what should he (Bush) do, specificly, right now, to fix this horrible horrible earth shattering problem? You say "it goes through Customs" and vague imply that Bush is in "charge" of Customs. Ok, so what rules changes should he personally order right now to fix it? Who should he fire, should he fire anyone? Who should he replace that person with? Why them? Where is the failing now? The staff? The Management of the Dept? The rules they follow? The Policies? Where is the failing?

After all, unless you think Bush should go down and personally rewrite all of the Customs codes, rules, polciies and procedures as well as inspecting every box coming into the US himself, personally, I think we need more than what you've offered up so far. I mean, you don't actually think Bush wrote the Customs Rules, do you?

I mean, you called him out for this issue, and laid the blame squarely at his feet. To do that with any level of intellectual legitimacy, you much have a deep, wide and strong knowledge on International Trade, Customs Dept. workings and policies, and a personal knowledge of the person currently in charge of that Dept, and how they have failed (with specifics), right?

Right?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;2201923]This would be a great argument if GW just got into office. His appointments are truly at issue here. Anyone who disagreed with him was streeted and this is what we got.

Isn't Bush giving the GOP what is wants right now. The GOP always complains that gov't doesn't work and the last 7 years has strengthen their case. Congrats.[/QUOTE]
    And the Democratic response to a government not working for the last 7 years?

More government.

Know what I love? Democrats have one good election cycle and they think it's game over. What a laugh.

I fail to see how this is even remotely related to the issue of free trade. Itís not Chinaís job to ensure the toys are safe. Itís not the Chinese paint manufacturerís job to make sure the toys the paint is used on is safe. Itís the toy company itself that is responsible. As a matter of fact, Mattel even owned up to it for the summer recalls. [URL="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119037171135935172.html?mod=hpp_us_whats_news"]http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119037171135935172.html?mod=hpp_us_whats_news[/URL]
    [QUOTE]Toymaker Mattel issued an extraordinary apology to China on Friday over the recall of Chinese-made toys, [B]saying most of the items were defective because of Mattel's design flaws rather than faulty manufacturing.[/B] The company added that it had recalled more lead-tainted Chinese toys than was justified....

Mattel ordered three high-profile recalls this summer of millions of Chinese-made toys, including Barbie doll accessories and toy cars, because of concerns about lead paint and tiny magnets that could be swallowed. [B]The "vast majority of those products that were recalled were the result of a design flaw in Mattel's design, not through a manufacturing flaw in China's manufacturers,"[/B] Mr. Debrowski said. Lead-tainted toys accounted for only a small percentage of all toys recalled, he said. "We understand and appreciate deeply the issues that this has caused for the reputation of Chinese manufacturers," he said.

Mattel said in a statement its lead-related recalls were "overly inclusive, including toys that may not have had lead in paint in excess of the U.S. standards. The follow-up inspections also confirmed that part of the recalled toys complied with the U.S. standards."
    [/QUOTE]The market already imposed a punishment on Mattel and Iím sure the same will happen with this Spin Master Toys. Between May and August Mattelís stock price dropped nearly 24% which represented a loss of $2.75 Billion in market value and itís still going down. Why anyone thinks the government needs to do anything after the free market system already instituted a $2.75 Billion fine is beyond me.
    [URL="http://mjperry.blogspot.com/search?q=Mattel"]http://mjperry.blogspot.com/search?q=Mattel[/URL]

[QUOTE=Warfish;2201764]Wow Bit, that just an absolutely SCATHING callout of Bush. Kudos to you good sir.

[/QUOTE]

this is the point warfish we elect a president so that he takes care of the problems

i want to not worry - is that so much to ask?