Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Trade is the Awsome-ist!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2201694]yeah you guys are right, nothing is Bush's fault, he's just some guy on vacation all the time.

he could... ya know... do something about it but that's not his problem

it will be hillary or obama's problem at which point everything will be their fault.[/QUOTE]

and with you everything is his fault. Katrina, the wild fires, lead in the toys. The great Bush Conspiracy! BTW Hillary is a troll and Obama isnt much better!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2202226]this is the point warfish we elect a president so that he takes care of the problems

i want to not worry - is that so much to ask?[/QUOTE]

After he is done inspecting toys maybe he can come setup a dui checkpoint in your neighborhood to make sure you feel all safe and secure.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Jets;2201647]the majority of the toys coming from china are from American companies that are based in china in order to get cheaper labor and avoid the US regulations[/QUOTE]

and your point is?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2201764]Wow Bit, that just an absolutely SCATHING callout of Bush. Kudos to you good sir.

But....uh.....you didn't really answer the question.

So again, what should he (Bush) do, specificly, right now, to fix this horrible horrible earth shattering problem? You say "it goes through Customs" and vague imply that Bush is in "charge" of Customs. Ok, so what rules changes should he personally order right now to fix it? Who should he fire, should he fire anyone? Who should he replace that person with? Why them? Where is the failing now? The staff? The Management of the Dept? The rules they follow? The Policies? Where is the failing?

After all, unless you think Bush should go down and personally rewrite all of the Customs codes, rules, polciies and procedures as well as inspecting every box coming into the US himself, personally, I think we need more than what you've offered up so far. I mean, you don't actually think Bush wrote the Customs Rules, do you?

I mean, you called him out for this issue, and laid the blame squarely at his feet. To do that with any level of intellectual legitimacy, you much have a deep, wide and strong knowledge on International Trade, Customs Dept. workings and policies, and a personal knowledge of the person currently in charge of that Dept, and how they have failed (with specifics), right?

Right?[/QUOTE]

Bush needs to call for greater inspection of what comes into this country and this will be expensive. Therefore a tax on anything passing thru this inspection process seems reasonable.

Also, why do they say "Date Rape Drug" not 'tranquilizer'?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;2202290]After he is done inspecting toys maybe he can come setup a dui checkpoint in your neighborhood to make sure you feel all safe and secure.[/QUOTE]

Talk about taking Bitoni's point out of context.

Is it really so bad to expect the leader of this country to recognize potential vulnerabilities in our system and take action in the post 9/11 world? IMO, there should be an executive provision put forth to sample everything coming into this country and thoroughly inspect it. This should have been done immediately following 9/11.

National security needs to be a high priority. We need to stop potential disasters before they happen (and that doesn't mean invade nations that are not a threat to us). The President should be held accountable for ignoring our weaknesses, a cardinal sin for any leader in any field.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2202096]And the Democratic response to a government not working for the last 7 years?

More government.

Know what I love? Democrats have one good election cycle and they think it's game over. What a laugh.[/QUOTE]

And obviously you think this is a game and your team is the Republican party not the USA

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2202226]this is the point warfish we elect a president so that he takes care of the problems [/QUOTE]

And thank YOU for proving mine. You're being criticial of the President of the United states for something the really, he has absolutely nothing to do with on a day to day or even a real policy basis. You have no suggestions for what could be done better, because put simply you don't have the foggiest idea what is or isn't being done now. You don't know if the Head of Customs should be fired, because you have no idea who he is, or who'd be better. You have no idea what policies or procedures need to be changed, because you have no clue whatsoever what those policies and procedures are now, who wrote them, and why.

Put in it's simplest terms, you are completely ignorant on the topic, in every way possible, yet you just KNOW it's ol' G.W. Bush's fault.

Bit, do you wonder why people see you less and less as an independant these days? A true independant whould be conscious of the problem, and desiring a solution....not trying to lay blame without knowing what the hell their talking about.

[QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;2202290]After he is done inspecting toys maybe he can come setup a dui checkpoint in your neighborhood to make sure you feel all safe and secure.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Next Bit will be blaming Bush becase he got a friggin wart on his toe.....CLIMATE CHANGE CAUSED MY WART, AND THATS BUSH'S FAULT TOOOOOOOO!!!:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Buster;2202314]Bush needs to call for greater inspection of what comes into this country and this will be expensive. Therefore a tax on anything passing thru this inspection process seems reasonable.

Also, why do they say "Date Rape Drug" not 'tranquilizer'?[/QUOTE]

What a shock. There's a problem, and the answer just MUST be "More Taxes".

Do you have any idea how much, or what type of inspections are being done currently? Do you know, for example, if Customs is testing toys for hazardous products in them? And if so, how often? Do you even know if Customs is the agency responsable for such testing?

Nope, you have no idea I'd bet. But like Bit, you may be ignorant on the topic, but you SURE Know what to do about it! TAXES!!! MUST RAISE TAXES!!!!!:rolleyes:

You know, in all seriousness, some of you on the left could really just stop posting. Just put "It's Bush's Fault. Raise Taxes" in your signatures, and you'd be saying just as much, in a far more honest way, than you say right now.

Put simply, there is MORE THAN ENOUGH legitimate criticism of G.W. Bush's presidency without these silly little topics. Bush has been one of the worst Presidents in History. You'd think you could just stick to the legit things, you know, like Iraq?

But no, Chineese toys are his fault, probably so he can watch American Soldier die for his amusement, and can rake in Billions in Chinees Toy Oil for Halliburton, and for his Dark Lord, Dick Satan Cheney. I know, got it.
    Last edited by Warfish; 11-08-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2202226]this is the point warfish we elect a president so that he takes care of the problems

i want to not worry - is that so much to ask?[/QUOTE]

now that is scary - not wanting to worry?? I think it is the responsibility and duty of every American to be worried about their government. Every American needs to be vigilant and stay involved at whatever level they are capable of - not kick back and just let the government take care of things...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2202338]What a shock. There's a problem, and the answer just MUST be "More Taxes".

Do you have any idea how much, or what type of inspections are being done currently? Do you know, for example, if Customs is testing toys for hazardous products in them? And if so, how often? Do you even know if Customs is the agency responsable for such testing?

Nope, you have no idea I'd bet. But like Bit, you may be ignorant on the topic, but you SURE Know what to do about it! TAXES!!! MUST RAISE TAXES!!!!!:rolleyes:

You know, in all seriousness, some of you on the left could really just stop posting. Just put "It's Bush's Fault. Raise Taxes" in your signatures, and you'd be saying just as much, in a far more honest way, than you say right now.

Put simply, there is MORE THAN ENOUGH legitimate criticism of G.W. Bush's presidency without these silly little topics. Bush has been one of the worst Presidents in History. You'd think you could just stick to the legit things, you know, like Iraq?

But no, Chineese toys are his fault, probably so he can watch American Soldier die for his amusement, and can rake in Billions in Chinees Toy Oil for Halliburton, and for his Dark Lord, Dick Satan Cheney. I know, got it.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha Low taxes are more important than safe imports and fair competition.

BTW...The chair of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is Nancy Nord she has been was in front of congress last week and on the News hour, too

[URL="http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/july-dec07/products_11-02.html"]http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/july-dec07/products_11-02.html[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    warfish

ill tell ya what

when george Bush comes to my job and gives me tips on how to be competant, ill return the favor

in the meantime i am exercising my right to free speech and declaring that this man absolutely sucks. i can't think of the last time he's done anything positive for the people of USA, maybe it's never happened.

you are right how can I expect a man who has screwed up so much in 6 years would have any constructive ideas on how to stop poison coming from china. that's my bad.
    Last edited by bitonti; 11-08-2007 at 04:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

bush doesn't care about domestic crime - but don't worry if they needed a dui check point in baghdad someone halliburton would be on the next plane at the cost of millions of dollars an hour.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2202377]Gotcha Low taxes are more important than safe imports and fair competition.

BTW...The chair of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is Nancy Nord she has been was in front of congress last week and on the News hour, too

[URL="http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/july-dec07/products_11-02.html"]http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/july-dec07/products_11-02.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

We can’t be sure that high taxes solve the problem of safe imports. “Fair” competition? What is that?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

All sides

This is an issue that spans all parties, and damages all of us, especially small businessmen like me. We cannot cut a fart without some regulation, and accompanying tax, yet these products arrive here ready for sale. Republicans and democrats alike are receiving payments both over and under the table to allow these items to be imported. Bush and other GOP'ers are involved, but so is the Clinton crime family, Nancy Pelosi, Diane Feinstein and others. This is a MAJOR issue waiting to happen.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2202435]in the meantime i am exercising my right to be completely ignorant on the topic, and yet still extremely loud, demanding, baised and whiney[/QUOTE]

Fixt.:rolleyes:

You want to complain when you have no idea what you're talking about, be my guest. All you're doing is exposing yourself, your ignorance, and your clear and unquestionable biases and true loyalties.

Really Bit, I truly cannot wait to see if you are this critical of the next Administration, and every event that happens in their tenure. Should be most revealing.
    Last edited by Warfish; 11-08-2007 at 06:02 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your response is exactly the problem. Ignore the mistakes and make it a GOP vs. Dems issue.

Please make the argument that this current Admin is not the cause of more gov't and then we can have a real conversation.

P.S.
    The Dems have done nothing to help anything this last year.

[QUOTE=sackdance;2202096]And the Democratic response to a government not working for the last 7 years?

More government.

Know what I love? Democrats have one good election cycle and they think it's game over. What a laugh.[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is the Government agency responsible for this kind of thing and, like FEMA, it has been poorly managed by the Bush administration. Intentionally so, it seems, because legislative ideas to address the recent problems have been met with hostility because Conservatives don't believe in regulation whether the businesses are domestic or import/export oriented. So, yes, it is Bushes fault in a way -- but we make up for it by payin' $1.09 for sox a Walmart instead of $1.13.

Just sayin...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this what we have to look forward to with the Globalization of free markets? Is this what Friedman had in mind?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2201628]don't worry Bush has the best interests of real people at heart, regardless of how it affects corporations.[/QUOTE]

This started way before Bush. It started 30 years ago. But It spead up with your buddy Clinton who was the sponsor of Nafta and GAT. Both treaties are the result of what you have now. Both Republican are the same sponsor of somthing more sinister ever hear of the trilateral comission if you believe in conspiracy theories.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2202708]Is this what we have to look forward to with the Globalization of free markets? Is this what Friedman had in mind?[/QUOTE]
    People act as if the sky is falling. Nah, let's enact protectionist policies, instead. That will make us better off.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't blame Bush for the actual problem, but you can blame him if he ignores it. It doesn't matter if you don't know much about the issue and aren't personally qualified to give corrective suggestions. Thats why we put these people in office, so they can make those decisions for all of us, because they are supposed to be more qualified. Katrina wasn't Bush's fault, but the poor handling of the aftermath was. Sure it was other people's fault too, but the buck stops at him, or should stop at him. This problem itself isn't his fault, but if he ignores the problem, then that is his fault.

That said, I'm not sure anyone here is actually blaming the President for the actual problem, although people are arguing against them as if they were.