Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Free Trade is the Awsome-ist!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are right. F it, let China keep making our stuff and who cares what happens next.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2202740]People act as if the sky is falling. Nah, let's enact protectionist policies, instead. That will make us better off.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2202784]You are right. F it, let China keep making our stuff and who cares what happens next.[/QUOTE]
    Protectionist policies will make us better off, eh?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea the people in China are living large and are being treated like real people.

Have you been able to find a a good lead testing kit here in the states?

How about looking at who we do business with? Is that so wrong? Is that so over the top?

The free market is not working in a not so free country.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2202796]Protectionist policies will make us better off, eh?[/QUOTE]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2202708]Is this what we have to look forward to with the Globalization of free markets? Is this what Friedman had in mind?[/QUOTE]

Thomas Friedman is a jackass....

[url]http://www.counterpunch.org/solomon10302006.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2202561]Really Bit, I truly cannot wait to see if you are this critical of the next Administration, and every event that happens in their tenure. Should be most revealing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Just like all those late night talk people like Jon Stewart and David Letterman and Jay Leno had nothing to talk about before Bush was president.

Remember when the Daily Show was an actual news program? It wasnt until the hilarity of what has become the Bush presidency did they become a comedy show.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2202989]Yea the people in China are living large and are being treated like real people.

Have you been able to find a a good lead testing kit here in the states?

How about looking at who we do business with? Is that so wrong? Is that so over the top?

The free market is not working in a not so free country.[/QUOTE]

No, the Chinese aren't but their standard of living is increasing rapidly. Even if it weren't, that's not our problem. Through free trade, we help them.

I'm all for more awareness about the products that we import. But we don't need to enact protectionist policies that limit free trade. That just shoots ourselves in the foot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sunmou;2203071]Thomas Friedman is a jackass....

[url]http://www.counterpunch.org/solomon10302006.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Maybe, but regarding globalization, he couldn't be more right. It's coming - adapt or get left behind.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2202493]We can’t be sure that high taxes solve the problem of safe imports. “Fair” competition? What is that?[/QUOTE]

American manufacturers have to meet certain standards set forth by the government, like not putting poison on toys. This costs money. Apparently the Chinese manufactures are not meeting these standards. That some folks are allowed to ignore the rule sounds "unfair" to me.

Generally the solution to stopping people or businesses or whomever from breaking the law is to hire more police/inspectors etc...
    This may be expensive so my pragmatic solution would be to place a tariff on goods passing thru this inspection process.

Maybe I'm crazy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2202561]
    Really Bit, I truly cannot wait to see if you are this critical of the next Administration, and every event that happens in their tenure. Should be most revealing.[/QUOTE]

this is my whole point

why do we have to wait for the next administration?

Bush is in power now, he could help this country NOW.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2203160]American manufacturers have to meet certain standards set forth by the government, like not putting poison on toys. This costs money. [/QUOTE]

Damn regulations.

It's definitely not worth the cost, though. Kids are easy to replace. I'd much rather send that money to Iraqistan on a pallet and have it disappear. That's much more fiscally conservative.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2203099]Remember when the Daily Show was an actual news program? It wasnt until the hilarity of what has become the Bush presidency did they become a comedy show.[/QUOTE]

Another scathing indictment of the Bush administration.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2203160]American manufacturers have to meet certain standards set forth by the government, like not putting poison on toys. This costs money. Apparently the Chinese manufactures are not meeting these standards. That some folks are allowed to ignore the rule sounds "unfair" to me.

Generally the solution to stopping people or businesses or whomever from breaking the law is to hire more police/inspectors etc...
    This may be expensive so my pragmatic solution would be to place a tariff on goods passing thru this inspection process.

Maybe I'm crazy.[/QUOTE]

American companies are importing and selling these goods. The Pet food issue all came out of domestic producers from an ingredient they bought. How did all that posion get into the market? It must have left the US processors factories untested. How many citizens are posioned every year by food with the USDA label on it?

The retalors and US importers have a tremendous incentive to sell safe products, they need to keep their customers alive and happy. The Government has become a tool of big business to use government regulations and safety labeling to brand and keep smaller companies out of the market place. We don't have adequate safety on products made in the USA, this attack on China is mostly a political scare campaign. We either have standards or we don't. Where product comes from is not the issue.