Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: MLS in Seattle

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

MLS in Seattle

Just thought the MLS press conference today was pretty interesting.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp

Any thoughts on the MLS expansion? I'm pretty pumped about it, I love the idea of the MLS really expanding in the next few years.

Now only if the Red Bulls didn't have the worst name/uniform in the league...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing about the article i noticed was that it was written by a Pat's RB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TD C-Mart View Post
    Just thought the MLS press conference today was pretty interesting.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp

Any thoughts on the MLS expansion? I'm pretty pumped about it, I love the idea of the MLS really expanding in the next few years.

Now only if the Red Bulls didn't have the worst name/uniform in the league...
    continuing to expand MLS is foolish...there is not a glut of talent in the league such that expanding would serve any real purpose, aside from making the rest of the league worse by further diluting the talent pool...

if anything, MLS should be working to cannabalize some of the better teams from other domestic leagues in order to begin instituting some sort of promotion and relegation system, even if it keeps its current (foolish) playoff structure...but expansion was the death knell of NASL, and that league at least boasted SOME world class talent...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer View Post
    continuing to expand MLS is foolish...there is not a glut of talent in the league such that expanding would serve any real purpose, aside from making the rest of the league worse by further diluting the talent pool...
    I'm still hopeful about it - it's a long process. Hopefully by expanding into different cities they can expand the fan base and in doing so general interest in soccer. Maybe then the MLS can start developing its own talent, instead of looking overseas?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is Drew Carey's role in this? I barely heard him talk about it the other night on MNF. I know he's a soccer buff and all with his photography role in the World Cup. Is he going in as a part owner?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer View Post

if anything, MLS should be working to cannabalize some of the better teams from other domestic leagues in order to begin instituting some sort of promotion and relegation system, even if it keeps its current (foolish) playoff structure...but expansion was the death knell of NASL, and that league at least boasted SOME world class talent...
    They're expanding into cities that have a documented interist in soccer. Seattle has wanted a team for a while and their research has probably shown that they can make money with a team there. Expansion was sucsessful in Toronto in terms of ticket sales. With the communist setup of MLS that helps all the teams sign more popular and skilled players and further increase revenue. My only criticism is that they may be expanding to soon. 3 new teams in three years may be too much too soon. I think after they add another team (which they will to create an even number of teams) they should hold off for a while and see where this new expansion takes them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is Drew Carey's role in this? I barely heard him talk about it the other night on MNF. I know he's a soccer buff and all with his photography role in the World Cup. Is he going in as a part owner?
    He is a part of the ownership group.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    He is a part of the ownership group.
    He wants a franchise in Cleveland also, hes alos into having fans vote for the GM every four years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    He wants a franchise in Cleveland also, hes alos into having fans vote for the GM every four years.
    Yeah, its an interseting idea but I don't know how practical it really is.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    remember when people in America cared about soccer? oh yeah no one does! this isnt europe...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NoExcusesNYJ View Post
    remember when people in America cared about soccer? oh yeah no one does! this isnt europe...
    You have such wonderful insights/jokes. I would love to subscribe to your newsletter.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason we have a soccer forum is so you don't have to read any soccer threads if you don't want to.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never understood why people seem to have a legit problem with soccer in this country. It doesn't make any sense to me - you don't see people bad mouthing lacrosse all the time, right?

Ah well, it's nice to see that there are a good share of people on this board who enjoy it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish they would bring a team to Ft Lauderdale and have them play in Lockhart Stadium where the Miami Fusion use to play. They would get a good following if they brought in one good English, Scottish or Irish player plus one from Brazil, Haiti and Columbia. There is a large soccer fan base in the area and they would go to see a local team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TD C-Mart View Post
    I've never understood why people seem to have a legit problem with soccer in this country.
    A few reasons.

1. Being Americans, We like being different from the rest of the world, we are rebels from the start against England and it is their main sport.

2. Racism, a lot of people that play soccer in America are non Americans, there are a lot of Latin players so older Americans see it as a Mexican sport.

3. Status, there are a lot of richer Americans that play soccer so it is looked at as a privileged sport, which is completely wrong it is the cheapest sport to play but a lot of the kids that play it have money so it's going to happen.

4. Wimpy, the sport is played the same time as American Football in school so it is looked at as the wimpy kids sport or the girls sport.

5. Lazy and Ignorant, a lot of Americans have lost their European roots and they don't understand the game and as most Americans they are to lazy to learn anything new unless it is a cool trend.

That's my look on it at least.

Funny, I ****ing hate baseball but like soccer and rugby. If I listed my favorite sports it would be American Football, MMA\boxing, rugby\soccer, real wrestling, basketball and maybe womans tennis or softball if I have a free moment and a can of lube.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by New York Mick View Post
    A few reasons.

1. Being Americans, We like being different from the rest of the world, we are rebels from the start against England and it is their main sport.

2. Racism, a lot of people that play soccer in America are non Americans, there are a lot of Latin players so older Americans see it as a Mexican sport.

3. Status, there are a lot of richer Americans that play soccer so it is looked at as a privileged sport, which is completely wrong it is the cheapest sport to play but a lot of the kids that play it have money so it's going to happen.

4. Wimpy, the sport is played the same time as American Football in school so it is looked at as the wimpy kids sport or the girls sport.

5. Lazy and Ignorant, a lot of Americans have lost their European roots and they don't understand the game and as most Americans they are to lazy to learn anything new unless it is a cool trend.

That's my look on it at least.

Funny, I ****ing hate baseball but like soccer and rugby. If I listed my favorite sports it would be American Football, MMA\boxing, rugby\soccer, real wrestling, basketball and maybe womans tennis or softball if I have a free moment and a can of lube.

LOL

I'd also add in the wimpy category all the diving and faking. It's contrary to every other American sport where toughness is the rule. No matter the sport, never show you're hurt or that your opponent got the best of you. I like soccer, but can't stand the prima donna sh*t.

This doesn't apply to English, Irish, Scottish or Welsh soccer players, who play the way it should be played.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Says the guy who has the avatar of a fake sport.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    LOL

I'd also add in the wimpy category all the diving and faking. It's contrary to every other American sport where toughness is the rule. No matter the sport, never show you're hurt or that your opponent got the best of you. I like soccer, but can't stand the prima donna sh*t.

This doesn't apply to English, Irish, Scottish or Welsh soccer players, who play the way it should be played.
    Aussies, some of those guys play one mean ****in game, not that I care for the A-League in the slightest.

America/Canada is loaded with 'soccer' fans, thing is, most of them are from outside the country and follow their teams even from here.