Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: taser incident, was the officer justified ?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=samwise;2222275]the officer wasn't 100% in the wrong.

He mishandled some easy steps. He could have easily told the kid, "you were going 65 in a 40", and "if you don't sign the ticket, I can arrest you" & "step out of the car, [U]you're under arrest[/U]"

the kid, however, didn't follow instructions. The officer has no way of knowing if the kid is violent, high, or going to run. You can't tell just by looking. If the kid tries to run, he might kill a bunch of people.[/QUOTE]

Sure glad you are not a cop.

That kid was scared out of his mind because some figure with a badge and gun was acting way out of line and seemingly trying to do harm to the kid for asking questions.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to know stewdogs opinion on this

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't know anything at all about this story, but if the cop was ticketing this kid for doing 65 MPH in a 40 MPH zone I hope this cop goes to a prison filled with inmates he busted

What can I say, I don't like the whole traffic violations scam or the Quasi [B]tax-collectors[/B] masquerading as cops

Too me, barring the serious violations this is a state sanctioned extortion scam .. nothing less and nothing more
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 11-21-2007 at 06:10 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JiF;2222251]The officer was completely in the wrong.

I dont know if you could understand the conversation but he clearly was not answering simple questions that the kid had the right to hear.

If a cop pulls you over for speeding you have the right to know the speed and also I believe you can ask to see the radar.

The cop immediately had his taser out...why?

Did that kid really look like a thread riding with his wife...and did I hear his child was in there as well?

Anyway...the kid hit the nail on the head....the officer was little excited and acted way out of line.

The cop was acting unrational...I truly believe the kid thought that he was about to get shot and was scared of for his life because of the cop.

Did you see the look on his face? He looked like he was going to puke.[/QUOTE]

Posts like these remind me why civilian review boards are a terrible idea. We are not required to explain each and every action taken during an m/v stop. If we were, every motorist would engage us in endlessly non- productive debates at the side of the road.

Cops are not required to become embroiled in pissing contests. The kid did not think he deserved a ticket- fair enough. His remedy was to appeal it in court- he is not allowed to willfully disobey a police officer's lawful order to comply.

BTW you saw at the end of the tape that the taser had NO lingering physical effect- the same cannot be said for a use of O/C (pepper) spary or a baton strike.

You are not required to agree with a ticket but you are required to obey a police officer's lawful commands- its not rocket science folks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;2222371]

Posts like these remind me why civilian review boards are a terrible idea. We are not required to explain each and every action taken during an m/v stop. If we were, every motorist would engage us in endlessly non- productive debates at the side of the road.[/QUOTE]Those motorists/civilians pay your salary, so maybe you shouldn't be too over-zealous about stealing their money just because the state has given you a license to steal on the states behalf .. then normal law-abiding citizens who are predisposed towards liking and respecting you wouldn't have a reason to feel otherwise

JMO RR

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;2222371]Posts like these remind me why civilian review boards are a terrible idea. We are not required to explain each and every action taken during an m/v stop. If we were, every motorist would engage us in endlessly non- productive debates at the side of the road.

Cops are not required to become embroiled in pissing contests. The kid did not think he deserved a ticket- fair enough. His remedy was to appeal it in court- he is not allowed to willfully disobey a police officer's lawful order to comply.

BTW you saw at the end of the tape that the taser had NO lingering physical effect- the same cannot be said for a use of O/C (pepper) spary or a baton strike.

You are not required to agree with a ticket but you are required to obey a police officer's lawful commands- its not rocket science folks.[/QUOTE]

1. Why didn't the cop answer the question? How fast was I going... aren't you supposed to know the answer to that?!

2. Would you not think it is unsafe to taser someone on the side of the road like that with cars flying by?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2222417]Those motorists/civilians pay your salary, so maybe you shouldn't be too over-zealous about stealing their money just because the state has given you a license to steal on the states behalf .. then normal law-abiding citizens who are predisposed towards liking and respecting you wouldn't have a reason to feel otherwise

JMO RR[/QUOTE]

This kid wasn't obeying a command, not much more one can add to it. I don't understand where your mentality on it comes from, but unfortunately not everyone is a 'law-abiding citizen', if just anyone was allowed to pull that **** there would be alot more money in the tombstone business. The kid was just over-excited and didn't do anything wrong [B][U]until[/U][/B] he decided to ignore him, and that's the difference between a [formerly-argueable]ticket and an asskicking. Anyways, it was a taser, not a bullet, kid walks away, learns something. Could have kept his mouth shut and settled it the [I]right[/I] way.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;2222321]How many people in your line of work got killed here this year? In Broward COunty, FLorida ALONE, 2 have ben killed and another is recovering from being shot in the HEAD after a ROUTINE TRAFFIC STOP. If somebody isn't complying and is acting sketchy, and goes to walk away, make an abrupt move, or whatever, they are LUCKY to get tased and not SHOT.[/quote]

Everything is a routine traffic stop. You can use that line in any context you want. Oh .. it was a routine traffic stop.. up until he reached the car window nad got shot in the face by the driver. Obvouisly this cop already had lots of dialogue with the kid before tasering him... he had PLENTY of time to figure out the situation... a suburnanite guy with his wife... speeding in a 40 MPH zone... blah blah.. he wants to know how fast he was going, for some reason I'm going to be all weird and not tell him.

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;2222321]Have a problem with how a Cop is treating you? Its ALL ON TAPE. Just give 'em the old "yessir, nossir" polite routine, get a lawyer, and bring it to court. If you're RIght, You WILL be exonerated. The ROADSIDE is NOT the place to try and tell a Police Officer that "You know your rights" and walk away. The fact that this Tard did it with his wife there was even more stupid.[/quote]

I'm not arguing the fact taht the kid was stupid for pushing the issue, but I don't think he did anything to deserve a tasering. The reason anyone is stupid for questioning cops is cause there are cops out there on power trips that can turn a normal situation into a nightmare just case they feel like it or cause they're having a bad day. Do what a cop says cause he has a gun. Now they get tasers... its like .. neat, I can shoot people with this and they don't die... so I'll basically use it whenever.

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;2222321]Seems to me Liberals HATE the Police...until they NEED THEM. Just like the Armed Forces.[/QUOTE]

I don't hate the police. I just hate ******* cops. I'm not saying they're all *******s, but some out there (like that guy) are. And some are dangerous and should not work in law enforcement.

We had a cop come by to break up a party a while back and he came to the door, my friend was inside the house drinking (legal age). The cop said, come out here... so he went out (do what the cop says), cop took him downtown for public intoxication. WTF?!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestJet;2222454]1. Why didn't the cop answer the question? How fast was I going... aren't you supposed to know the answer to that?!

2. Would you not think it is unsafe to taser someone on the side of the road like that with cars flying by?[/QUOTE]

Do you think it's unsafe for the cop to let the guy go back to his car? Or to let the girl get in and out of the car? I carry a gun in my car and so do a lot of other people so cops don't like it when you go back into the car when they are talking to you.

Getting a ticket or arrested isn't a debate, there is one person in control the cop not the person so you shut the **** up and do what is asked, then if the cop is wrong you get a lawyer and he takes care of it, there is no other way to win. You don't listen you get your ass kicked and arrested and then charged on top of it.

I have been arrested a lot of times and never said **** and never get zapped or beat up either, not real hard to figure out people.

Cops sucks, cops are this cops are that, **** someone broke into my house call the cops, someone beat up my son call the cops, someone stold my car call the cops. Everyone hates the cops unless they need them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2222417]Those motorists/civilians pay your salary, so maybe you shouldn't be too over-zealous about stealing their money just because the state has given you a license to steal on the states behalf .. then normal law-abiding citizens who are predisposed towards liking and respecting you wouldn't have a reason to feel otherwise

JMO RR[/QUOTE]

You didn't just trot out the "I pay your salary line"?!:rolleyes: Guess what, my taxes help pay my salary too. I hate to break it to you Einstein but the cops don't get a bonus in their checks based on how many cites they issue.

I won't try to explain about the deterrent effect of the passing motorists seeing a violator getting the ticket. It would put a buzzkill on your "da man is picking on the working man" gibberish.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New York Mick;2222465]Do you think it's unsafe for the cop to let the guy go back to his car? Or to let the girl get in and out of the car? I carry a gun in my car and so do a lot of other people so cops don't like it when you go back into the car when they are talking to you.

Getting a ticket or arrested isn't a debate, there is one person in control the cop not the person so you shut the **** up and do what is asked, then if the cop is wrong you get a lawyer and he takes care of it, there is no other way to win. You don't listen you get your ass kicked and arrested and then charged on top of it.

I have been arrested a lot of times and never said **** and never get zapped or beat up either, not real hard to figure out people.

Cops sucks, cops are this cops are that, **** someone broke into my house call the cops, someone beat up my son call the cops, someone stold my car call the cops. Everyone hates the cops unless they need them.[/QUOTE]

Just answer me this, why didn't the cop respond to the simple question? How fast was I going? 47, ok, done.. case closed. Why did the cop avoid answering a simple question?!

Get a lawyer, yeah cause its all free... and your time is not worth any money. So I gotta deal w/ some retard cop and then waste my time and my money to get a lawyer? FUN!! Where do I sign up?!

The ENTIRE incident could've been avoided. Look:

1. How fast was I going?
    2. <insert SPD here>

Thats it. Thanks, bye, no need for an incident.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Steel7;2222455]

This kid wasn't obeying a command, not much more one can add to it. [/QUOTE]I agree, the kid didn't handle it the right way, he's young and dumb {been there myself} and he paid the price for his foolishness .. but that's separate from my opinion of this whole traffic violations scam and the muscle that does the extorting .. and believe it or not I happen to respect police officers if you exclude the extortion racket

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2222253][SIZE="5"]DON'T TAZE ME, BRO!![/SIZE]

:D[/QUOTE]

you could put it on a bumper sticker and sell it.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    better to listen to the cops and then let the tapes speak for itself.i agree cop did never answer his question.i agree the guy may have had the gun but if i was the guys wife i sue as he never read him his rights and also never answrered how fast the guy went.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;2222469]

You didn't just trot out the "I pay your salary line"?!:rolleyes: Guess what, my taxes help pay my salary too. I hate to break it to you Einstein but the cops don't get a bonus in their checks based on how many cites they issue.

I won't try to explain about the deterrent effect of the passing motorists seeing a violator getting the ticket. It would put a buzzkill on your "da man is picking on the working man" gibberish.[/QUOTE]This is exactly why they should be more selective about who gets to wear a badge .. first weed out the guys who got picked on too much as a kid and you'll eliminate a lot of this arrogance
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 11-22-2007 at 01:16 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestJet;2222475]Just answer me this, why didn't the cop respond to the simple question? How fast was I going? 47, ok, done.. case closed. Why did the cop avoid answering a simple question?!

Get a lawyer, yeah cause its all free... and your time is not worth any money. So I gotta deal w/ some retard cop and then waste my time and my money to get a lawyer? FUN!! Where do I sign up?!

The ENTIRE incident could've been avoided. Look:

1. How fast was I going?
    2. <insert SPD here>

Thats it. Thanks, bye, no need for an incident.[/QUOTE]

There's another way to look at it.

Guy: How fast was I going?
    Cop: .......
    Guy: .......
    Cop: Here's your ticket, you were going 60 in a 45.
    Guy: No I wasn't!
    Cop: The number of the radar(sp?) gun is on the ticket, you can challenge it in
    Guy: I wasn't going that fast!!
    Cop: Please let me finish!
    Cop: You challenge it in court, pay the ticket or go to driving school.
    Guy: Whatever (drives away after the cop tells him he can leave)

Another way.
    Guy: I'm leaving!
    Cop: Sir step away from the car!!
    Guy: I'm leaving!!
    (turns around and reaches in the front of his pants pulls out a gun)

[IMG]http://www.kapda.org/images/pipesand%20drums.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by New York Mick; 11-21-2007 at 07:05 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfanintx;2222493]better to listen to the cops and then let the tapes speak for itself.i agree cop did never answer his question.i agree the guy may have had the gun but if i was the guys wife i sue as he never read him his rights and also never answrered how fast the guy went.[/QUOTE]

You do not need to be read your rights unless being questioned about a crime and you don't need to be read your rights if you are freely giving up information.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't hear the first conversation with all the traffic but it seemed to me the Kid was being a chop buster..From my understanding it's a common practice to be handcuffed in a situation when your giving the Cop crap..They do it all the time on the Cops TV show..I've always followed orders even when I was right in situations...I agree with Mick if you want to fight the Ticket do it in court..:yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;2222505]

I couldn't hear the first conversation with all the traffic but it seemed to me the Kid was being a chop buster[/QUOTE]I don't blame the kid for being upset .. I never met anyone who could have his pocket-picked and LIKE IT .. but you can't be stupid about it and this kid just paid the price for being young and dumb

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New York Mick;2222499]There's another way to look at it.

Guy: .......
    Cop: Here's your ticket, you were going 60 in a 45.
    Guy: No I wasn't!
    Cop: The number of the radar(sp?) gun is on the ticket, you can challenge it in
    Guy: I wasn't going that fast!!
    Cop: Please let me finish!
    Cop: You challenge it in court, pay the ticket or go to driving school.
    Guy: Whatever (drives away after the cop tells him he can leave)

Another way.
    Guy: I'm leaving!
    Cop: Sir step away from the car!!
    Guy: I'm leaving!!
    (turns around and reaches in the front of his pants pulls out a gun)

[IMG]http://www.kapda.org/images/pipesand%20drums.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I just don't undersatnd why the cop didn't answer.. makes zero sense, unless he didn't gun him.