Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: taser incident, was the officer justified ?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=WestJet;2222519]I just don't undersatnd why the cop didn't answer.. makes zero sense, unless he didn't gun him.[/QUOTE]

Bottom line, he didn't want to and there isn't **** you can do about other then shut up or join the force.

And what the hell does didn't gun him mean?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=WestJet;2222519]I just don't undersatnd why the cop didn't answer.. makes zero sense, unless he didn't gun him.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't the speed have to be on the Ticket??:confused:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=New York Mick;2222522]Bottom line, he didn't want to and there isn't **** you can do about other then shut up or join the force.

And what the hell does didn't gun him mean?[/QUOTE]

Radar Gun I would presume..

All League
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2222481]I agree, the kid didn't handle it the right way, he's young and dumb {been there myself} and he paid the price for his foolishness .. but that's separate from my opinion of this whole traffic violations scam and the muscle that does the extorting .. and believe it or not I happen to respect police officers if you exclude the extortion racket[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, to each his own. This conversation could go two ways from here. I already don't drive because of the price, and surely I'd be pissed to have an additional cost too, but I'm sure there's more to being fined for ignoring the speed [B]limit[/B] than simple extortion.

All League
    If you listen to the tape you can clearly hear in officer instructing the driver to sign the ticket, I do not live in the where this took place but IIRC, failure to sign the citation is an arrestable offense in some states. The speed would be noted on the citation (it is in my state anyway).

He clearly understood he was being stopped for speeding- you can hear him debating it before and after the taser deployment.

For the sake of the argument let's assume the kid has no clue that he was being pulled over for speeding- do you honestly believe he would have said "oh, ok"?:rolleyes: Respectfully your perspectives are based on the vid clip not based on any real life experience. It's not just confined to traffic. More than once I've recovered heroin from a suspect's pockets who then tried to debate me all the way to the station about how the pants weren't his, about how I had no p/c, etc....

You guys are just going to have to take my word for it that if a motorist is pissed off and/or does not agree with the reason for being pulled over that no amount of explainations or replies will suffice.

Having said all that I'd like to pose the following to the self professed experts:

You are the police officer.

The law in your state requires that the violator sign the citation or be subject to arrest.

The driver refuses to comply with several verbal commands to do so.

How to you gain his compliance?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Steel7;2222536]Fair enough, to each his own. This conversation could go two ways from here. I already don't drive because of the price, and surely I'd be pissed to have an additional cost too, but I'm sure there's more to being fined for ignoring the speed [B]limit[/B] than simple extortion.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing about Fines..You could also take Jail time..When I was in the Bar Biz we had a customer that used to take jail time and while he was there got a Physical and went to the dentist at the county's expense..:yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=Savage69;2222543]Funny thing about Fines..You could also take Jail time..When I was in the Bar Biz we had a customer that used to take jail time and while he was there got a Physical and went to the dentist at the county's expense..:yes:[/QUOTE]

The poor bastard :D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JiF;2222340]Sure glad you are not a cop.

That kid was scared out of his mind because some figure with a badge and gun was acting way out of line and seemingly trying to do harm to the kid for asking questions.[/QUOTE]

why ? I criticized the cop for not handling it correctly.

I'm 6'6", 300, I can assure you that punk would have followed my instructions, and there would have been no incident ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    According to the conversation the kid is an @$$: not only did he not sign the ticket, he told the cop "NO, we're going to find the speed limit sign". Ummm... wrong. Then he gets out and again doesn't follow directions. He's lucky he didn't get shot. And his gf is an @$$ also.

[QUOTE=PatriotReign;2222540]

Having said all that I'd like to pose the following to the self professed experts:

You are the police officer.

The law in your state requires that the violator sign the citation or be subject to arrest.

The driver refuses to comply with several verbal commands to do so.

How to you gain his compliance?[/QUOTE]First off the heroine incident, that's legit police work, but I understand the analogy and I don't disagree .. no answer was going to satisfy this kid, he was upset about getting a ticket {understandable}, then he was looking for trouble {dumb} and he found it

As for the question, I wouldn't pull someone over for doing 65 unless he was driving reckless, or maybe I'd stop him just to tell him to slow down .. I may not be Albert Einstein, but I think I'm smart enough to know that some violations need to be in place {and enforced} for the public safety while others are just a scam, just a way for the city/state to collect more revenues from hard working slobs who aren't already being bled enough, and IMO it takes a specific type of individual who can steal from these people without feeling bad .. I couldn't do it so that eliminates me

So my attitude {towards the city/state} would be something along the lines of @#$& YOU, I'm a cop, not a tax collector, not an extornionist .. a cop .. if you're looking for those other things you'll have to find somebody else

I have GOOD FRIENDS who are cops and I've told them the same thing, PR .. one of my friends is a highly decorated homicide detective, another is a SGT in the NYPD, and I know a few other cops as well .. I tell them all the same thing .. they know exactly how I view this whole traffic violations racket barring the more serious violations, and I don't even get tickets because, well, I think you know why
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 11-21-2007 at 08:16 PM.

[QUOTE=New York Mick;2222522]Bottom line, he didn't want to and there isn't **** you can do about other then shut up or join the force.

And what the hell does didn't gun him mean?[/QUOTE]

Didn't use the radar gun.

[QUOTE=Savage69;2222523]Doesn't the speed have to be on the Ticket??:confused:[/QUOTE]

Don't know... in Oregon it is.

[QUOTE=JiF;2222340]Sure glad you are not a cop.

That kid was scared out of his mind because some figure with a badge and gun was acting way out of line and seemingly trying to do harm to the kid for asking questions.[/QUOTE]That kid wasn't scared at all, or he would have shut his mouth from the beginning. He looks more to me like a brat who doesn't want to face consequenses for his actions, or be told what to do.

after the incident the cop FLAT OUT LIES to his fellow cop saying, "i told him tunr around or i'll taze ya" what a fu***ing loser, [B]this cop probably does'nt have a family[/B].

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

The law is the law, no?

You may not agree with the law and question the motives for the enforcement of it, but its the law.

Believe it or not, most cops HATE giving tags (or summonses or citations)...

But they understand it's part of their job. In the NYPD, one of a supervisors biggest headaches is to enforce an unofficial Quota.....

Otherwise, no cop in his right mind would write up but the most egregious of offenses...it's a pain in the azz!

However, if the random chance of a cop pulling you over for even silly stuff, i.e. 65 in a 40 didnt exist.... lawlessness would rule the roads...

Thousands of Felony collars are made in the US every year and many cops are killed on these silly car stops...Fugitives speed....

Information gleaned from a nonsense tail light summons might solve a homicide two years down the road....

Law enforcement in general would suffer if only the worst of the worst regulations were enforced...and so would the general public....

I dont deny some jurisdictions use them as a revenue source, but the ultimate good outweighs the bad.

Just sayin.

All League
    Franklin,

You really should stick to subjects you have a clue about: surgery and posts about injuring football players.

They way your bleating one can infer that you have been issued mored than one ticket. :bigcry: You're undoubtedly bitter that the officer who stopped you wasn't impressed to your satisfaction upon discovering that you were a MD.:yes:

[QUOTE=PatriotReign;2222694]Franklin,

You really should stick to subjects you have a clue about: surgery and posts about injuring football players.

They way your bleating one can infer that you have been issued mored than one ticket. :bigcry: You're undoubtedly bitter that the officer who stopped you wasn't impressed to your satisfaction upon discovering that you were a MD.:yes:[/QUOTE]

First off.....my post was deleted so no point gin arguing things.

You must be a traffic cop. Figures.....:D

Perfect.

Moga

[QUOTE=PatriotReign;2222694]Franklin,

They way your bleating one can infer that you have been issued mored than one ticket. :bigcry: You're undoubtedly bitter that the officer who stopped you wasn't impressed to your satisfaction upon discovering that you were a MD.:yes:[/QUOTE]

For the record, I have gotten 2 tickets in my life (one in college for going 74 in a 55 zone-justified) and one in college for rolling a stop sign ($88.00). I had no problem with either and was polite to the cop.

Interestingly, as an MD, I have been let off of THREE tickets solely because of that fact. COp could see lab coat hanging in the back, or had scrubs on, etc....so, in reality, I have benefitted greatly from this. That still doesn't change the fact that I think the ticket business is BS and a sham and the cops who enforce them are scumbags in my opinion.

MOga

All League
    Allow me to go on the record as well- I am not a "traffic cop" as you put it- never was. I work in a large city where the emphasis is on drug enforcement and gang supression (anti crime). I'm a sergeant now so I'm not a front line guy anymore.

Like it or not traffic citations are a necessary evil, people drive like flaming a-holes as it is. Can you imagine how bad it would be if there was no enforcement in this regard?

I wouldn't want my wife and kids on the same road where cops look tghe other way as cars are going 20+ over the posted limit but hey that's just me. Do I think some cops are jerks who'll cite you for going 5 over- sure but like I said the majority don't enjoy issuing cites.

Again how safe would the roads be if there was no threat/deterrent for unsafe driving?

I'll dismiss your anti- cop rantings as nothing more than childish hyperbole- which is par for the course with you "Doctor".:yes:

[QUOTE=FrankMoga;2222716]For the record, I have gotten 2 tickets in my life (one in college for going 74 in a 55 zone-justified) and one in college for rolling a stop sign ($88.00). I had no problem with either and was polite to the cop.

Interestingly, as an MD, I have been let off of THREE tickets solely because of that fact. COp could see lab coat hanging in the back, or had scrubs on, etc....so, in reality, I have benefitted greatly from this. That still doesn't change the fact that I think the ticket business is BS and a sham and the [B]cops who enforce them are scumbags[/B] in my opinion.

MOga[/QUOTE]Damn bro, we all hate getting tickets but they have to do their jobs. And there are a lot of cool cops out there.