Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benitez: Gone?

Benitez: Gone?

As a Pool supporter this is very disappointing but always on the cards after Tweedledum and Tweedledee took over. This is currently the lead story on bbc sport:

Uneasy Benitez drops England hint

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has said he may be interested in the England job after an apparent disagreement with the club's owners over transfer targets.

Benitez described his week as "not the best" after arriving late for a news conference following a conversation with George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

"Maybe I could be Steve McClaren's replacement if I improve my English," said the 47-year-old Spaniard.

"I was being serious. You never know what can happen in the future."

News conference: Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez

During his news conference, Benitez used the answer "I am focused on training and coaching my team" a number of times in response to a series of questions on various issues.

Despite a huge transfer outlay in the summer on players like Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel, Liverpool are fifth in the Premier League and in danger of failing to get beyond the group stage of the Champions League.

Benitez is thought to have already started making plans for the January transfer window, but the club's American owners have issued a statement suggesting that they are not thinking that far ahead at the moment.

"There are some very important games coming up in the next couple of weeks and all of us need to focus on winning those games and getting the best out of the players we already had at the club," said the statement.

"We will leave any talk of buying or selling players until we come across to Liverpool in December and sit down with the manager then."

link

Jets Insider VIP
    Everyone's interested in that job.

I heard Capello's name already mentioned. 10 bucks says Mourinho will rear his ugly head as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Everyone's interested in that job.

I heard Capello's name already mentioned. 10 bucks says Mourinho will rear his ugly head as well.
    i'm actually surprised that anybody is interested in that job...england has less talent and more egos than the other elite euro squads, and the fans have incredibly high expectations...

that being said, i think mourinho is the most logical choice, which means he probably wont take/get the job...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer View Post
    i'm actually surprised that anybody is interested in that job...england has less talent and more egos than the other elite euro squads, and the fans have incredibly high expectations...

that being said, i think mourinho is the most logical choice, which means he probably wont take/get the job...

I dissagree with you there. They have the talent: their midfield is crazy, Rooney is one of the best, terry is excellent...I think what they lack is discipline. That's why they're in a Catch 22 IMO. English fans don't want a team that plays not to lose (which unfortunately is how you win the big ones). They want guys playing their hearts out, attacking at all times.

Put Capello in there, and they'll be a Top 5 team, but I don't think English fans would like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    As a Pool supporter this is very disappointing but always on the cards after Tweedledum and Tweedledee took over. This is currently the lead story on bbc sport:

Uneasy Benitez drops England hint

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has said he may be interested in the England job after an apparent disagreement with the club's owners over transfer targets.

Benitez described his week as "not the best" after arriving late for a news conference following a conversation with George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

"Maybe I could be Steve McClaren's replacement if I improve my English," said the 47-year-old Spaniard.

"I was being serious. You never know what can happen in the future."

News conference: Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez

During his news conference, Benitez used the answer "I am focused on training and coaching my team" a number of times in response to a series of questions on various issues.

Despite a huge transfer outlay in the summer on players like Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel, Liverpool are fifth in the Premier League and in danger of failing to get beyond the group stage of the Champions League.

Benitez is thought to have already started making plans for the January transfer window, but the club's American owners have issued a statement suggesting that they are not thinking that far ahead at the moment.

"There are some very important games coming up in the next couple of weeks and all of us need to focus on winning those games and getting the best out of the players we already had at the club," said the statement.

"We will leave any talk of buying or selling players until we come across to Liverpool in December and sit down with the manager then."

link

Maybe they'll bring Graeme Sourpuss back to Anfield. That would be good.

Massive show of support will be displayed by Liverpool supporters towards Rafa Benitez before and during tonight's game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Massive show of support will be displayed by Liverpool supporters towards Rafa Benitez before and during tonight's game.
    He's already one the big one (Champion's League). When was the last time they won the Premiership?

It's only logical for him to move on. He's done only good things in Liverpool, he deserves a shot with a good national team. This being said, I'm not a big fan of foreigners taking over national teams. He's Spanish, he should only go for the Spanish national team.
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 11-28-2007 at 06:17 AM.

He's already one the big one (Champion's League). When was the last time they won the Premiership?

It's only logical for him to move on. He's done only good things in Liverpool, he deserves a shot with a good national team. This being said, I'm not a big fan of foreigners taking over national teams. He's Spanish, he should only go for the Spanish national team.
    He wants to stay and all the fans love him. I hope he is with Liverpool for the next 20 years, he is already a legend at the club; the only issue is the American owners.

Jets Insider VIP
    He wants to stay and all the fans love him. I hope he is with Liverpool for the next 20 years, he is already a legend at the club; the only issue is the American owners.
    Who is it?

Glazer's have Man U right?

It's getting out of hand now. Russian, Thai, American ...tycoons, with no particular love of the sport, some with dodgey pasts. Ugh.

Who is it?

Glazer's have Man U right?

It's getting out of hand now. Russian, Thai, American ...tycoons, with no particular love of the sport, some with dodgey pasts. Ugh.
    Tom Hicks and George Gillet: Hicks owns the Texas Rangers baseball team and an ice hockey team as well.

Yep, the Glazers own Manure.

There were two bids put in for Liverpool FC; the Americans and the Sheik Mahktoum from Dubai. I would have much preferred to have gone wit the Sheik, which is no reflection on Americans. It's just that Hicks and Gillet aren't rich enough for a club like Liverpool.

All Pro
    Tom Hicks and George Gillet: Hicks owns the Texas Rangers baseball team and an ice hockey team as well.

Yep, the Glazers own Manure.

There were two bids put in for Liverpool FC; the Americans and the Sheik Mahktoum from Dubai. I would have much preferred to have gone wit the Sheik, which is no reflection on Americans. It's just that Hicks and Gillet aren't rich enough for a club like Liverpool.
    Dallas Stars

By the way, is he problem really the owners not spending properly during transfer windows? They gave him plenty off that champions league final run. Torres for 22 million, Babel(who he doesn't use properly), and they would willing to spend in January if they get that second round money from the Champions League.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Dallas Stars

By the way, is he problem really the owners not spending properly during transfer windows? They gave him plenty off that champions league final run. Torres for 22 million, Babel(who he doesn't use properly), and they would willing to spend in January if they get that second round money from the Champions League.
    The squad still needs strengthening and the issue I think is whether they will back Rafa with the money and also when they will do it. If they come up with money too late that is a problem because most of the January transfers are worked out a long time before January rolls around.

Torres has been sensational. Great pick up even at that price. Babel is young - were were hoping he would be a good player to use on the left. Thankfully Harry Kewell is now back, fit and firing. He set up Torres with a wonderful run and pass for our second yesterday.

Jets Insider VIP
    Nice pics BD. Were you at the game??

Nice pics BD. Were you at the game??
    I'm in the wrong hemisphere at the moment!!

I'm a member of the biggest unofficial Liverpool website, Redandwhitekop; get all pictures/downloads/information from there. I've followed Liverpool since I was young. The Liverpool community are truly outstanding when they get behind an issue; they will support Rafa to the hilt. I certainly couldn't see the same thing happening in American Football because the culture is totally different.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm in the wrong hemisphere at the moment!!

I'm a member of the biggest unofficial Liverpool website, Redandwhitekop; get all pictures/downloads/information from there. I've followed Liverpool since I was young. The Liverpool community are truly outstanding when they get behind an issue; they will support Rafa to the hilt. I certainly couldn't see the same thing happening in American Football because the culture is totally different.
    Where abouts in the Southern Hemisphere?

Liverpool is the exception though, not the rule. It's musical chairs across the board. Occasionally a guy will stick like Benitez or Wenger, but the vast majority don't last longer than 3-4 years.

Pittsburgh has the reputation of being faithful and patient with their coaches. If only we could do the same...

Where abouts in the Southern Hemisphere?

Liverpool is the exception though, not the rule. It's musical chairs across the board. Occasionally a guy will stick like Benitez or Wenger, but the vast majority don't last longer than 3-4 years.

Pittsburgh has the reputation of being faithful and patient with their coaches. If only we could do the same...
    Australia.

Yeah, on the Continent there doesn't seem as much loyalty to managers; in England, however, the managers are revered for the most part. Wenger at the Arse and Whiskey Nose at Manure are good examples. Liverpool have had a tradition of standing by their managers; Shankly and Paisley were great managers who brought many titles and a lot of pride to the city. In Spain and Italy there are always clubs who go through a couple of coaches a season; the attitude to managers there is different.

It would be great if the Jets would stick by Mangini for 5 years or so regardless of results, but the nature of New York isn't like that. There seems to be a win now mentality that works against building long-term success. Remember the pressue there was to try and trade up in the 06 draft and pick up Reggie Bush, a player who now looks decidedly average in the NFL. Seems to me there are a lot of fans who don't pay enough attention to the intricacies of the game; you can't 'win now' without spending years putting in the building blocks first. I would say that is why a franchise like the Steelers is relatively successful year in and year out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Australia.

Yeah, on the Continent there doesn't seem as much loyalty to managers; in England, however, the managers are revered for the most part. Wenger at the Arse and Whiskey Nose at Manure are good examples. Liverpool have had a tradition of standing by their managers; Shankly and Paisley were great managers who brought many titles and a lot of pride to the city. In Spain and Italy there are always clubs who go through a couple of coaches a season; the attitude to managers there is different.

It would be great if the Jets would stick by Mangini for 5 years or so regardless of results, but the nature of New York isn't like that. There seems to be a win now mentality that works against building long-term success. Remember the pressue there was to try and trade up in the 06 draft and pick up Reggie Bush, a player who now looks decidedly average in the NFL. Seems to me there are a lot of fans who don't pay enough attention to the intricacies of the game; you can't 'win now' without spending years putting in the building blocks first. I would say that is why a franchise like the Steelers is relatively successful year in and year out.

I'm ready to stick by Mangini through a 2-14 season followed by a 6-10 if that's what it takes for a 5-7 year window where we would be legitimate contenders for the AFC crown and a shot at the SB. With our constant knee jerk reactions, we'll never amount to anything.