Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US is‘worst’ imperialist: archbishop

All Pro

US is‘worst’ imperialist: archbishop

THE Archbishop of Canterbury has said that the United States wields its power in a way that is worse than Britain during its imperial heyday.

Rowan Williams claimed that America’s attempt to intervene overseas by “clearing the decks” with a “quick burst of violent action” had led to “the worst of all worlds”.

In a wide-ranging interview with a British Muslim magazine, the Anglican leader linked criticism of the United States to one of his most pessimistic declarations about the state of western civilisation.

He said the crisis was caused not just by America’s actions but also by its misguided sense of its own mission. He poured scorn on the “chosen nation myth of America, meaning that what happens in America is very much at the heart of God’s purpose for humanity”.

Williams went beyond his previous critique of the conduct of the war on terror, saying the United States had lost the moral high ground since September 11. He urged it to launch a “generous and intelligent programme of aid directed to the societies that have been ravaged; a check on the economic exploitation of defeated territories; a demilitarisation of their presence”.

He went on to suggest that the West was fundamentally adrift: “Our modern western definition of humanity is clearly not working very well. There is something about western modernity which really does eat away at the soul.”

Williams suggested American leadership had broken down: “We have only one global hegemonic power. It is not accumulating territory: it is trying to accumulate influence and control. That’s not working.”

He contrasted it unfavourably with how the British Empire governed India. “It is one thing to take over a territory and then pour energy and resources into administering it and normalising it. Rightly or wrongly, that’s what the British Empire did — in India, for example.

“It is another thing to go in on the assumption that a quick burst of violent action will somehow clear the decks and that you can move on and other people will put it back together — Iraq, for example.”

In the interview in Emel, a Muslim lifestyle magazine, Williams makes only mild criticisms of the Islamic world. He said the Muslim world must acknowledge that its “political solutions were not the most impressive”.

He commends the Muslim practice of praying five times a day, which he says allows the remembrance of God to be “built in deeply in their daily rhythm”.
    Read the interview in full

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle2937068.ece

Anyone still think that the USA is not an imperialistic nation?

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Read the interview in full

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle2937068.ece

Anyone still think that the USA is not an imperialistic nation?

Now you're getting cues from the archbishop of Canterbury? LOL

I liked his tales. That's about it.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

good to see the blame-America crowd doesn't even take a break on Sunday...of course you've got to put a lot of credibility to any moron who makes the following comparison...

He contrasted it unfavourably with how the British Empire governed India. “It is one thing to take over a territory and then pour energy and resources into administering it and normalising it. Rightly or wrongly, that’s what the British Empire did — in India, for example.
    because Britian/India is comparable to islamofacists/America....comparable to the mindless on the left that is....

Veteran
    I wouldn't call it imperialistic, there should be another name for it. And no way are we as bad as Britain/Europe was.
    Last edited by Sharrow; 11-25-2007 at 07:45 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    good to see the blame-America crowd doesn't even take a break on Sunday...of course you've got to put a lot of credibility to any moron who makes the following comparison...

because Britian/India is comparable to islamofacists/America....comparable to the mindless on the left that is....
    Actually, they are quite similar. Both ventures were driven by the prospect of financial gain. It's just that the "islamofacists/America" case had unintended consequences (aka "blowback") in the form of suicide terrorism.

Can you explain to me why it is that they hate us? I'd recommend reading this: http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Game-Un.../dp/0805076522

Now the American people want to fix this by just intervening there more, thinking as if they have a god-given right to police the world (lol), somehow expecting that to reduce the amount of blowback, forgetting that every country that has ever overextended itself as we have has lowered the standard of living at home, and given future generations nothing but debt and taxes.

Why can't we spend that $1 trillion dollars at home instead to research alternative energy research? That would make society as a whole richer, not just the war-profiteers.

But no...that would be blaming America...lol...you guys seriously need to check yourselves. The current Administration is run by people who make their fortunes in war (in the Bush family it goes back 3 generations), and you want to send young American men to die for them. You really need to look at your own logic in the mirror, because it's sickening. What it ultimately comes down to is that you think you are on a moral high ground to police the world and want to go down the path that bankrupts the nation and bleeds the lower classes and future generations dry so the established upper crust can gain financially.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 11-25-2007 at 07:55 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Another who *****es about what we do, and begs for money from us at the same time. Just like every other Nation these days it seems.

Fine, save your own arse next timea European Land War breaks out (and trust me, it will). And hearing ANYONE associated with England (who was the original screw-up'er in Iraq) complain about us, is damn laghable if you ask me. Half the major issues in the world today when it comes to Islam vs. the West, can be traced back to the British Empire and it's incredable history of ****-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Another who *****es about what we do, and begs for money from us at the same time. Just like every other Nation these days it seems.

Fine, save your own arse next timea European Land War breaks out (and trust me, it will). And hearing ANYONE associated with England (who was the original screw-up'er in Iraq) complain about us, is damn laghable if you ask me. Half the major issues in the world today when it comes to Islam vs. the West, can be traced back to the British Empire and it's incredable history of ****-ups.
    Dude, there's no place for sane rational thought in the political forum.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Actually, they are quite similar. Both ventures were driven by the prospect of financial gain. It's just that the "islamofacists/America" case had unintended consequences (aka "blowback") in the form of suicide terrorism.

Can you explain to me why it is that they hate us? I'd recommend reading this: http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Game-Un.../dp/0805076522

Now the American people want to fix this by just intervening there more, thinking as if they have a god-given right to police the world (lol), somehow expecting that to reduce the amount of blowback, forgetting that every country that has ever overextended itself as we have has lowered the standard of living at home, and given future generations nothing but debt and taxes.

Why can't we spend that $1 trillion dollars at home instead to research alternative energy research? That would make society as a whole richer, not just the war-profiteers.

But no...that would be blaming America...lol...you guys seriously need to check yourselves. The current Administration is run by people who make their fortunes in war (in the Bush family it goes back 3 generations), and you want to send young American men to die for them. You really need to look at your own logic in the mirror, because it's sickening. What it ultimately comes down to is that you think you are on a moral high ground to police the world and want to go down the path that bankrupts the nation and bleeds the lower classes and future generations dry so the established upper crust can gain financially.
    that's the difference between lunatics on the left and the lunatics who bow at the alter of Rupaul....most don't give a fuq why they "hate us" and are not as naive as you to think they will stop hating us for reasons real or fabricated.....

appeasing an enemy in order to get them to stop hating us is truly sickening logic, as is the rest of RuPaul's blame-America thinking....

JetsFan2012

Hall Of Fame

Great. Another person who wants to "Blame England First". Why does this "Blame England First" crowd give radical Islam a free pass? Have you no pride, man? While a the Blame England Firsters are busy lining up to blame England first, Islamofascists are busy bowing up school children of "Blame England Firsters". Instead of blaming England they should be killing Muslims.

Besides. Blaming England would be as unpatriotic as blaming America. Everybody knows that neither world powers have EVER done ANYTHING wrong EVER.

Don't blame England. Blame Christians. If only they had the balls to prove to muslims that their god is false...no terrorism would ever happen. It should be easy, right....the god of the Christians IS real, right?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post

There is no such thing as the 'blame America' crowd. The neo cons do not represent ALL there is about America. Not by a long stretch. Clearly it the 'leadership' (very questionable at that) that is hated. Not America.

Let's move on from that clatter.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrow View Post
    I wouldn't call it imperialistic, there should be another name for it. And no way are we as bad as Britain/Europe was.

OK then let's call it empire stretching....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post

JC that is a very logical approach here and I agree with you. It is not good for America, the strongest and most powerful nation in the history of thw world to impose it's will on other nations using the military.

And worse it is like the military is our 'only' option. Moreover, using it and having to borrow the funds to fight a war is an unwinnable and perhaps disasterous approach. It shows up in things like high energy prices and low dollar value around teh world.

No empire has ever existed long with a low currency rate.

All Pro

Did I hear 'Lawrence of Arabia' in this post. I agree with you Fish

flushingjet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    There is no such thing as the 'blame America' crowd. The neo cons do not represent ALL there is about America. Not by a long stretch. Clearly it the 'leadership' (very questionable at that) that is hated. Not America.

Let's move on from that clatter.
    yes, i clearly remember the 9/11 jihadists yelling
    into their cockpit radios,
    " death to america
    except for liberals , libertarians
    and barnacle scrubbing patriots like bene-dawgg"

you represent nothing about america

not the patriotism or the sense of pride
    in self & country
    nor the work ethic
    just eternal victimhood

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by flushingjet View Post
    yes, i clearly remember the 9/11 jihadists yelling
    into their cockpit radios,
    " death to america
    except for liberals , libertarians
    and barnacle scrubbing patriots like bene-dawgg"

you represent nothing about america

not the patriotism or the sense of pride
    in self & country
    nor the work ethic
    just eternal victimhood
    An example of the neo con vision. Very narrow and filled with little truth.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

He looks more like the Archbishop of Vulcan

F__k him........

All Pro
    He urged it to launch a “generous and intelligent programme of aid directed to the societies that have been ravaged; a check on the economic exploitation of defeated territories; a demilitarisation of their presence”.
    Sounds like he is calling for Peace

All League
    Ok lets withdraw from the world cover our eyes and ears and sing happy songs! The Archbishop can say anything from his gilded cage!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    Ok lets withdraw from the world cover our eyes and ears and sing happy songs! The Archbishop can say anything from his gilded cage!

Who is stating anything like that?