Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royal Saudi Scum Tortures Woman

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2230367]Alternative energy is cleaner (solar) and more efficient (renewable). I am a protector of animal rights to some extent. The ANWR may be something good, however I have not studied it as much to give any real info here[/QUOTE]

...also more unreliable (cloudy days, windless days), more expensive, and more controversial (NIMBY). Key is to mass produce the stuff so that it becomes cheaper. That would help the Enviro-crunchies and the anti-Middle East crowd.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LyonMtJet;2230575]...also more unreliable (cloudy days, windless days), more expensive, and more controversial (NIMBY). Key is to mass produce the stuff so that it becomes cheaper. That would help the Enviro-crunchies and the anti-Middle East crowd.[/QUOTE]

I use solar cells that work over 600 hours when fully charged. If we have an issue where the sun does not shine for that amount of time (nearly one month) energy is the least of your worries.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2230524]yeah! we should invade these countries and FORCE them to use the dollar :D[/QUOTE]

bit, please don't propose any ideas to this current crew in office. They may take you serious.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;2230571]Me too.

I think Nantucket Sound would be a great place for a Wind Farm.

Clean, Renewable, Green Energy.

Conservatives and Liberals can at least both agree on this, right ??[/QUOTE]

Not the Kennedys- it would ruin their view!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    For any of the ignoramus' that troll this thread, there needs to be a little education about Saudi Arabia.

First off, let me begin by saying Saudi is bassackward in many ways.

However, what you see in this story is the worst example of extreme. Much of the country doesn't operate in that manner.

There are still bastions of Saudi that are ruled in a different manner than the rest of the country. There are still religious police and extreme rules in the most conservative/religious regions. However, the more modern/larger/contemporary cities are much more westernized and relaxed.

I have spent many weeks in Jeddah and Riyadh among some other smaller towns in Saudi, you just don't see the religious police any more. Women are able to visit places and move about town with being with a male relative. Granted, they still can't drive or must adhere to "womens hours" at certain places, but its not as bad as you think.

I am not justifying the incident in the article... just saying that it is less common than most people believe. Just like America/ns are misunderstood by much of the world... the reverse is also true.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad to hear that it isn't as bad it seems.
    But just in case your mother, sister, wife or daughter ever visits just remind them........

U.S. Department of State
    Bureau of Consular Affairs
    Washington, DC 20520

Consular Information Sheet

The Saudi Embassy in Washington advises women traveling to Saudi Arabia to dress in a conservative fashion, wearing ankle-length dresses with long sleeves, and not to wear trousers in public. In many areas of Saudi Arabia, particularly Riyadh and the central part of the Kingdom, Mutawwa pressure women to wear a full-length black covering known as an Abaya, and to cover their heads. Most women in these areas therefore wear an Abaya and carry a headscarf to avoid being accosted. Women who appear to be of Arab or Asian origin, especially those presumed to be Muslims, face a greater risk of being confronted.

Some Mutawwa try to enforce the rule that men and women who are beyond childhood years may not mingle in public, unless they are family or close relatives. Mutawwa may ask to see proof that a couple is married or related. Women who are arrested for socializing with a man who is not a relative may be charged with prostitution. Some restaurants, particularly fast-food outlets, have refused to serve women who are not accompanied by a close male relative. In addition, many restaurants no longer have a "family section" in which women are permitted to eat. These restrictions are not always posted, and in some cases women violating this policy have been arrested. This is more common in Riyadh and the more conservative central Nejd region.

In public, dancing, playing music and showing movies are forbidden.

Persons violating Saudi Arabia's laws, even unknowingly, may be expelled, arrested, imprisoned or even executed. Suspects can be detained without charges or legal counsel, and with limited consular access, for months during the investigative stage of criminal cases.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant;2230616]For any of the ignoramus' that troll this thread, there needs to be a little education about Saudi Arabia.

First off, let me begin by saying Saudi is bassackward in many ways.

However, what you see in this story is the worst example of extreme. Much of the country doesn't operate in that manner.

There are still bastions of Saudi that are ruled in a different manner than the rest of the country. There are still religious police and extreme rules in the most conservative/religious regions. However, the more modern/larger/contemporary cities are much more westernized and relaxed.

I have spent many weeks in Jeddah and Riyadh among some other smaller towns in Saudi, you just don't see the religious police any more. Women are able to visit places and move about town with being with a male relative. Granted, they still can't drive or must adhere to "womens hours" at certain places, but its not as bad as you think.

I am not justifying the incident in the article... just saying that it is less common than most people believe. Just like America/ns are misunderstood by much of the world... the reverse is also true.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying...we really only hear about the extreme parts of SA.

But the big difference between us and them is that Americans aren't motivated by their religion to fly planes into buildings.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This has been going on in Saudi Arabia for decades and no one has cared. But because GW is in office it is his fault. All I can say is get your head out of your ass!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2231013]I understand what you are saying...we really only hear about the extreme parts of SA.

But the big difference between us and them is that Americans aren't motivated by their religion to fly planes into buildings.[/QUOTE]

Just like hearing about only the extreme parts of KSA, you are only focusing on the extreme part of the religion.

There are Americans that are motivated to blow up abortion clinics, motivated by their religion. There are kooks all over the world, in every color, in every religion.

Granted... there appears to be a higher percentage of these radical islamists, but murderous kookiness is not limited to Muslims.