Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama's senate files "thrown out"???? How convenient......

I thought you would be happy the article was about Jeb, you know the brother of your hero GW. His opinion is the same as Spitzer, but you will ignore that all together. You ignore that the same as the current Admnistration ignored illegal immigration.

You have shown time and time again you only quote Levin and other BS rightwing so-called celebrities. 5 states are doing it right now.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2231279]actually two years ago is pretty recent for many of the sh!tbrained leftists on this forum....

[B]c[/B]ock [B]r[/B]ider was desperate enough to go back nearly four years to again pull an opinion from his ass.....

[url]http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=156954[/url][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Warfish;2230476]Yes, he is. They are just different lobyists and different special interests than teh ones servicing the Republicans.[/QUOTE]

Warfish,

Cynicism can become an excuse for inaction. You need to think about that.

I have followed Edwards's candidacy quite closely. He has refused to take money from lobbyists. This is a fact. What "different lobbyists" are you referring to?

If you are referring to money he gets from other lawyers, it is true that he gets a large percentage of their support, but a lot goes to other candidates as well. In any event it is not coming in the form of the quid pro quo one gets invovled with in accepting money from lobbyists. It is also true that most of the other candidates are also lawyers.

The point of greatest concern to me is that we need to see some real effort made to reform health care, and Edwards recognizes that candidates who take money from the drug companies, the medical companies and health care interests will tend to serve those interests more than those of the American people as a whole.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Big Blocker;2231505]He has refused to take money from lobbyists. This is a fact. What "different lobbyists" are you referring to?[/QUOTE]

The ones that don't give money. The ones that get favors...

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2230595]any irony this is the reponse from the empty heads who support an empty suit when faced with homeboy hussien's complete hypocrisy???[/QUOTE]

those are fighting words from a guy who supported Bush's ill-fated invasion of Iraq

just let me know when you are ready to retract that support, CBNY

it's not too late to try to repair your understanding of the world at large.

or do you still think it was "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED"

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;2231743]those are fighting words from a guy who supported Bush's ill-fated invasion of Iraq

just let me know when you are ready to retract that support, CBNY

it's not too late to try to repair your understanding of the world at large.

or do you still think it was "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED"[/QUOTE]

ill fated?????

sorry chump, or should I say "the Duke lax guys are still guilty"...that's just another one of the long laundry list of things you've been wrong about....

my understanding of the world at large is not reliant on mother jones like yours...

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2231765]ill fated?????[/QUOTE]

mission accomplished CBNY

you did it! you supported this guy and it all worked out!

way to go buddy, way to go

[IMG]http://dev2dev.bea.com/blog/hoos/Mission%20Accomplished.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;2231790]mission accomplished CBNY

you did it! you supported this guy and it all worked out!

way to go buddy, way to go

[/QUOTE]

once again- the lunatic leftist that is bitonti can't stay on topic....tough thing to do when you're an empty head supporting an empty suit....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2231810]once again- the lunatic leftist that is bitonti can't stay on topic....tough thing to do when you're an empty head supporting an empty suit....[/QUOTE]

Yeah...because your a dude full of knowledge supporting a country boy from New Haven.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2231517]The ones that don't give money. The ones that get favors...[/QUOTE]

That makes a lot of sense.

Oh wait!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Big Blocker;2231505]Warfish,

I have followed Edwards's candidacy quite closely. He has refused to take money from lobbyists. This is a fact. What "different lobbyists" are you referring to?

If you are referring to money he gets from other lawyers, it is true that he gets a large percentage of their support, but a lot goes to other candidates as well. In any event it is not coming in the form of the quid pro quo one gets invovled with in accepting money from lobbyists. It is also true that most of the other candidates are also lawyers.

The point of greatest concern to me is that we need to see some real effort made to reform health care, and Edwards recognizes that candidates who take money from the drug companies, the medical companies and health care interests will tend to serve those interests more than those of the American people as a whole.[/QUOTE]

funny sh!t...

Edwards doesn't take money from lobbyists...just lawyers...and it's okay because other candidates take money from lawyers...

and of course the Trial Lawyers Association and groups affiliated who filled the kerry/edwards campaign coffers are not lobbying groups....:rolleyes:

Hillary Clinton trails five top Republicans
    prezedwards08 in Diaries
    11/26/2007 at 10:08 PM EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton trails five top Republican presidential contenders in general election match-ups, a drop in support from this summer, according to a poll released on Monday.

Clinton's top Democratic rivals, Barack Obama and John Edwards, still lead Republicans in hypothetical match-ups ahead of the November 4, 2008, presidential election, the survey by Zogby Interactive showed.

[url]http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN2645320920071126[/url]

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2232082]funny sh!t...

Edwards doesn't take money from lobbyists...just lawyers...and it's okay because other candidates take money from lawyers...

and of course the Trial Lawyers Association and groups affiliated who filled the kerry/edwards campaign coffers are not lobbying groups....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Giuliani is a lawyer. Lol

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Big Blocker;2232096]Giuliani is a lawyer. Lol[/QUOTE]

there's a good response to foster "intelligent debate" as you always cry about...like to back this statement up:

[QUOTE]I have followed Edwards's candidacy quite closely. He has refused to take money from lobbyists. This is a fact. What "different lobbyists" are you referring to?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2232102]there's a good response to foster "intelligent debate" as you always cry about...like to back this statement up:[/QUOTE]

YOu refer to the TRIAL LAWYERS! as if that in itself is a compelling argument.

I suppose by comparison if some corporate lawyers, or consulting type lawfirm such as Giuliani was a named partner in, supported a candidate, that would not only not bother you, you would be all for that.

Make your argument. If you have one.

My argument is sure Edwards is a lawyer. So are other candidates.

But he does not take money from lobbyists. Others do.

Btw, do you think it a good thing when candidates take money from lobbyists? What do you think the lobbyists are giving them money for?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Big Blocker;2232116]YOu refer to the TRIAL LAWYERS! as if that in itself is a compelling argument.

I suppose by comparison if some corporate lawyers, or consulting type lawfirm such as Giuliani was a named partner in, supported a candidate, that would not only not bother you, you would be all for that.

Make your argument. If you have one.

My argument is sure Edwards is a lawyer. So are other candidates.

[B]But he does not take money from lobbyists. Others do.[/B]

[/QUOTE]

your response is once again laughable and in typical liberal form when challenged to back up your post with evidence you do a nice dance around the facts....again; here's your posts:

[QUOTE=Big Blocker;2230426]Ftr, Edwards is not the candidate of the lobbyists and special interests.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Big Blocker;2231505]Warfish,

[B]I have followed Edwards's candidacy quite closely. He has refused to take money from lobbyists. This is a fact. What "different lobbyists" are you referring to?

If you are referring to money he gets from other lawyers, it is true that he gets a large percentage of their support, but a lot goes to other candidates as well. In any event it is not coming in the form of the quid pro quo one gets invovled with in accepting money from lobbyists. It is also true that most of the other candidates are also lawyers. [/B]

The point of greatest concern to me is that we need to see some real effort made to reform health care, and Edwards recognizes that candidates who take money from the drug companies, the medical companies and health care interests will tend to serve those interests more than those of the American people as a whole.[/QUOTE]

are the Trial Lawyers Association not lobbyists??? or are you infering edwards has not taken millions in campaign contributions from them??? or are you infering it really doesn't count because other candidates take money from the TLA????

[QUOTE]Btw, do you think it a good thing when candidates take money from lobbyists? What do you think the lobbyists are giving them money for?[/QUOTE]

lobbyists give money to candidates and parties for the same reason unions do- to serve their self interests...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 11-27-2007 at 02:53 PM.

The TLA is an association made up of individuals. It is not a PAC. Individuals who may be members of it contribute to Edwards and other candidates.

Go to this list of campaign contributors to Edwards:

[url]http://projects.washingtonpost.com/2008-presidential-candidates/finance/2007/q3/john-edwards/[/url]

No money from PACs. Virtually all from individuals.

You have evidence the TLA as a lobbying group has given any material amount of money to Edwards?

Guess not.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Big Blocker;2233418]Guess not.[/QUOTE]

just a few examples....

[QUOTE]Trial lawyers, longtime lobbyist split
    Posted by The Oregonian August 07, 2007 15:08PM

After 13 years, the Oregon Trial Lawyers Association and contract lobbyist Alan Tresidder are breaking up.

Tresidder said it's time for a change. He noted that the trial lawyers had a super session, passing 14 of the 16 bills pushed by the group's leaders.

"Thirteen years is a long time in the contract lobbying world," he wrote in an e-mail to The Oregonian, "and a change seemed like a good thing for all parties involved."

Perhaps the trial lawyers expected more, with
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://blog.oregonlive.com/politics/2007/08/trial_lawyers_longtime_lobbyis.html[/url]

[QUOTE][B]Obama Makes Inroads Into Edwards' Trial Lawyer Base
    Anna Palmer
    Legal Times
    April 9, 2007[/B]

Printer-friendly Email this Article Reprints & Permissions

Presidential candidates John Edwards and Barack Obama.
    Image: Roberto Westbrook/Legal Times
    This time around, John Edwards can't take anything for granted. This time, even his blood brothers aren't necessarily on board.

For years Edwards has relied on the support of his fellow trial lawyers' deep pockets to help get him elected -- first to the Senate and then three years ago, when he made a run at the White House and then became running mate to Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., who won the Democratic nomination. But as Edwards mounts his second presidential bid, he has struggled to attract plaintiffs lawyers beyond his stable of longtime donors, just as other Democratic candidates, such as Sens. Hillary Clinton from New York, Barack Obama from Illinois, and Joseph Biden Jr. from Delaware, have been actively wooing the plaintiffs bar.

"Frankly, I have got some torn loyalties," says Dennis VanDerGinst, an Illinois trial attorney who is raising money for all three of the Democratic front-runners. "I did support Edwards last go-around, and given his background as a trial attorney, I still have a soft spot for him, but from a practical standpoint I'm not sure I see him as the front-runner right now."

Throwing financial support behind Clinton or Obama instead of Edwards, who has been considered somewhat of a longshot since entering the race, may have less to do with who lawyers think will best represent their interests than who they think has the best shot at victory. Especially considering that Obama has yet to confront the issue of tort reform in the current campaign.

The latest Rasmussen Reports poll, which was done before the candidates' first-quarter earnings were released last week, had Clinton leading with 33 percent of the likely Democratic primary vote, Obama at 26 percent, and Edwards trailing at 17 percent among Democratic candidates.

Edwards, the one-time personal-injury lawyer from Raleigh, N.C., is a clear third in the money chase, as well. Both Clinton and Obama raised more than $20 million, while Edwards lagged behind at $14 million. Still, that was higher than Republican favorite Sen. John McCain of Arizona, who raised $12.5 million.

Many of the trial lawyers who supported the Kerry-Edwards ticket in 2004 have chosen to throw their lot in with Obama or are keeping their options open by donating to multiple candidates. The fracturing of the trial-lawyer constituency could have dramatic effects on the total dollars Edwards will be able to raise -- considering that the 52,000-member American Association for Justice (formerly known as the American Trial Lawyers Association) doled out more than $2.5 million from its political-action committee during the last presidential election, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

"In 2003, Sen. Edwards had a very broad base of trial-lawyer support. In fact he received some criticism for that," says Fred Baron, a well-known Dallas-based trial lawyer at Baron & Budd and Edwards' national finance chairman. "I haven't really noticed [a defection of trial lawyers to other candidates]. If we have, it's been very nominal. My guess is, in this cycle many lawyers are contributing more."

CASH MACHINE

The trial bar has long been one of the most sought-after groups for political giving, particularly at the state and congressional level, but no other candidate has been able to harness the level of support that Edwards counted on in the past.

In 1998, Edwards received more than half of his outside contributions from lawyers. That support continued in 2003 during his presidential run, when almost two-thirds of his $7.4 million first-quarter campaign contributions came from trial lawyers, their families and their staffs.

"Most trial lawyers aren't as interested on the federal level as they are in the state," says Kirk Wagar, a Florida-based trial attorney with Wagar Murray & Feit. "That changed with John Edwards. He was one of their own, and I think it's right that he put a good face on what a lot of folks do."

Edwards created that groundswell of support by reaching out to local and state trial associations and using a network of trial-lawyer friends across the nation. Edwards has maintained many of those relationships, including those with Jacksonville, Fla.'s Wayne Hogan of Terrell Hogan and former ATLA president Michael Maher of Maher, Guiley & Maher, who are both raising money for Edwards.

"I'm personally supporting and certainly encouraging friends and lawyers and other people that I know to contribute," says Hogan.

Still others, including Wagar, have signed on with Obama's campaign. Wagar, who headed Kerry's finance team in Florida during the 2004 election, has taken on a similar role with Obama's campaign.

"People are impressed with [Obama's] depth and that he will listen to both sides of an argument before he makes a decision and his ability to talk through an issue. Trial lawyers who argue for a living like that," Wagar says. "This is not about John Edwards or Hillary Clinton. ... We need someone who approaches the issues that we face like Barack does."

Jay Urban, a Milwaukee personal-injury lawyer and another Kerry defector, says he still likes Edwards but thinks his past performance on the national stage will hurt his campaign. During the 2004 campaign, Edwards said he would support the independent screening of medical-malpractice claims before a plaintiff could file suit.

"I think that what he did over the last four years will come under the microscope," Urban says. "He removed himself too much from Washington, and honestly, as a trial lawyer, I was disappointed with his debate with Vice President Dick Cheney."

Urban is helping to organize two events for Obama's first trip to Wisconsin later this month, which will include a rally for smaller donors and a $1,000-a-head fund-raiser that has already pulled in more than $100,000.

Other broader-based lawyer groups that collectively supported Kerry and Edwards' bid, including San Francisco-based Lawyers for Kerry, have also jumped to other campaigns. About 80 percent of the lawyers in that group, which raised more than $1 million for Kerry's presidential campaign, have formed a new group called Lawyers for Obama. In their initial fund-raising drive -- a luncheon in mid-February after Obama announced his intent to run -- the lawyers raised more than $250,000, according to the group's co-founder, William Orrick III of Coblentz, Patch, Duffy and Bass.

At this point, Edwards' camp claims it isn't worried about the drop-off in lawyer support. "In this cycle, we still have that very broad base of lawyer support," says Baron. "But, of course, to reach the number we have reached -- of $14 million in this quarter -- we expanded the base of donors."

HEDGE FUNDS

Although there has been some wholesale support-swapping, many lawyers are trying to hedge their bets and give to multiple candidates at this stage in the game.

"We are more pragmatic than we've ever been before," says Judith Droz Keyes of Davis Wright Tremaine, a national fund-raiser for Kerry in 2004. "It was a very sweet thing to win back the House and the Senate in November, and I think people recognize a kind of setting aside of the traditional positions that had been taken into a more pragmatic view supporting candidates that were going to win."

For, now Todd Smith, a Chicago trial lawyer, is sticking with that mantra, supporting multiple candidates. In 2004, Smith's firm raised more than $12,000 for Edwards and donated $50,000 to his leadership committee. But this time around, he's donated to Obama, Edwards and Biden. He recently hosted a Biden fund-raiser in Chicago that raised more than $150,000.

Biden has long been seen as a supporter of the trial lawyer community on the Senate Judiciary Committee, where he has opposed legal-liability proposals and bills that would limit claims against health-care providers. No candidate is more visibly tied to the trial bar than Edwards. But Clinton and Biden, who also headlined a national trial lawyer convention in Miami Beach in February, have both said they're opposed to caps on punitive damage awards.

Despite Obama's silence on trial lawyer issues in the current campaign, he co-sponsored the National Medical Error Disclosure and Compensation Act with Sen. Clinton in 2005. That legislation, which never made it to the full Senate for a vote, would have created a system for doctors and injured patients to negotiate out of court, but it did not include caps on medical malpractice claims.

"Barack was a practicing civil rights attorney and constitutional law professor. This excites trial lawyers," says Wagar. "[Civil rights are] the reason we're able to take on [General Motors] and pharmaceutical companies. He speaks to that."

[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1175850246318[/url]

Edwards would not have won re-relection for his senate seat....then he could carry his own state in a general election and now the people who supported him are dropping him like a bad habit....what's next for this idiot??? collecting a $55K fee for speaking about poverty??? (oh- my bad...)

Why do you say he is an idiot? Oh, that's right, he doesn't share your idiotic politics.

I guess you didn't notice you completely failed to show that he takes money from lobbyists. All the individuals referred to were just that - individuals.

You should just admit you lost and move on. Shake it off.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Big Blocker;2234011]Why do you say he is an idiot? Oh, that's right, he doesn't share your idiotic politics.[/QUOTE]

meanwhile the brainless continue to follow this dope, lost election after lost election....

[QUOTE]I guess you didn't notice you completely failed to show that he takes money from lobbyists. All the individuals referred to were just that - individuals.

You should just admit you lost and move on. Shake it off.[/QUOTE]

sure- he takes huge sums of money from groups who hire lobbyists to do thier bidding as evidenced above....keep trying to defend your indefensible point while you lick your wounds....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 11-28-2007 at 03:03 PM.