Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Economy: A House of Cards

The Economy: A House of Cards

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaxdUPNYj2s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaxdUPNYj2s[/URL]

Its time to wake up...

Great drop J. I have stated here that the current economy is unsustainable.

Only Dr. Paul is speaking on this fact

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2233720]Great drop J. I have stated here that the current economy is unsustainable.[/QUOTE]

i don't believe this to be true. if the economy is so bad how come they can't keep nintendo wiis in the store?

objects in motion tend to stay in motion.

people believe what they want to believe, but from what i can tell the economy isn't as bad as perception.

Dawgg, Jefe, can either of you give me an example of how the "bad economy" has effected you personally?

Thanks.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2233855]i don't believe this to be true. if the economy is so bad how come they can't keep nintendo wiis in the store?

people believe what they want to believe, but from what i can tell the economy isn't as bad as perception.[/QUOTE]

Wow, we actually agree about something!

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2233932]Wow, we actually agree about something![/QUOTE]

:D im not as liberal as my reputation

Most people in the country won't realize something is wrong until their savings are actually gone.

We are headed towards hyperinflation in a few years.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2233855]i don't believe this to be true. if the economy is so bad how come they can't keep nintendo wiis in the store?

people believe what they want to believe, but from what i can tell the economy isn't as bad as perception.[/QUOTE]

Just how long can folks continue to 'borrow'? At some point the bill will be due.

Just think, the USA has to borrow money from China to pay for the war in Iraq...it that a good thing?

[QUOTE=Warfish;2233922]Dawgg, Jefe, can either of you give me an example of how the "bad economy" has effected you personally?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

So far, this economy has affected me personally, I do see a lot of 'for sale' signs up in the neighborhood.

Gasoline prices soaring
    heating costs soaring
    Food prices increasing
    The FED PRINTING DOLLARS - Inflation

I do see many more people losing 'good paying jobs' as the manufacturing plants go away. I don't sell goods and services to the general public.

Maybe it is just me though....

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2234020]Just how long can folks continue to 'borrow'? At some point the bill will be due.

Just think, the USA has to borrow money from China to pay for the war in Iraq...it that a good thing?[/QUOTE]

The next President is going to have to deal wit the National debt.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2234031]So far, this economy has affected me personally, I do see a lot of 'for sale' signs up in the neighborhood.

Gasoline prices soaring
    heating costs soaring
    Food prices increasing
    The FED PRINTING DOLLARS - Inflation

I do see many more people losing 'good paying jobs' as the manufacturing plants go away. I don't sell goods and services to the general public.

Maybe it is just me though....[/QUOTE]

Sounds like alot of generalizations to me. None of what you listed appears to have affected you in any meaningful way.

For example, you mention high gas prices. What have you had to give up to afford them? How many trips by Car/Truck have you planned, then chosen not to follow through because of gas prices? That would be a direct effect.

And as for "lost manufacturing jobs", did you lose your job? If not, it's just another generalization. We have far too much generalization and armchair theorists on this board already. You are compalining about a bad economy, if it's as bad as you claim, should there not be some meaningful effect on your own life to report?

I know I havn't suffered in any form due to this bad economy you claim exists, so I cannot help your claim. But I assumed, as bad as you say it is, you'd have loads of meaningful personal trials and tribulations to pass on....

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2234020]Just how long can folks continue to 'borrow'? At some point the bill will be due.

Just think, the USA has to borrow money from China to pay for the war in Iraq...it that a good thing?[/QUOTE]

well as far as i can tell the answers are forever and yes

China buying US debt is better than no one buying US debt. Also keep in mind US treasuries are huge leverage tools in all trading, not just Chinese are buying these products. People of all countries make risky options moves and buy treasuries to offset the risk.

the economy is global, it's not just about US and US situation, there is cash everywhere and they have to invest it somewhere. think about companies, how many of the truly huge ones (Apple, Google, Microsoft, CocaCola) are American companies? think about the Iphone and Levi's Jeans. we are a brand and everyone wants a piece.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2234050]Sounds like alot of generalizations to me. None of what you listed appears to have affected you in any meaningful way.

For example, you mention high gas prices. What have you had to give up to afford them? How many trips by Car/Truck have you planned, then chosen not to follow through because of gas prices? That would be a direct effect.

And as for "lost manufacturing jobs", did you lose your job? If not, it's just another generalization. We have far too much generalization and armchair theorists on this board already. You are compalining about a bad economy, if it's as bad as you claim, should there not be some meaningful effect on your own life to report?

I know I havn't suffered in any form due to this bad economy you claim exists, so I cannot help your claim. But I assumed, as bad as you say it is, you'd have loads of meaningful personal trials and tribulations to pass on....[/QUOTE]

Your view is the one not realistic. I see plants throughout NC/SC closed due to offshoring. I see the people out of work down here. I see them lose their homes and such for that matter.

To think that this is just something on tv is false. I have cut down on gasoline usage. There is very little alternative transportation in the SE. I consolidate more trips to offset the cost.

Those are realities not generalizations. Your pompous attitude towards other Americans is disturbing.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2234056]well as far as i can tell the answers are forever and yes

China buying US debt is better than no one buying US debt. Also keep in mind US treasuries are huge leverage tools in all trading, not just Chinese are buying these products. People of all countries make risky options moves and buy treasuries to offset the risk.

the economy is global, it's not just about US and US situation, there is cash everywhere and they have to invest it somewhere. think about companies, how many of the truly huge ones (Apple, Google, Microsoft, CocaCola) are American companies? think about the Iphone and Levi's Jeans. we are a brand and everyone wants a piece.[/QUOTE]

The Social Security system is also buying federal debt.

And it is REALLY IMPORTANT to the economy of the USA that SSI remains solvent.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2234061]Your view is the one not realistic. I see plants throughout NC/SC closed due to offshoring. I see the people out of work down here. I see them lose their homes and such for that matter.

To think that this is just something on tv is false. I have cut down on gasoline usage. There is very little alternative transportation in the SE. I consolidate more trips to offset the cost.

Those are realities not generalizations. Your pompous attitude towards other Americans is disturbing.[/QUOTE]

[U]Translation:[/U] This so-called "horrible economy" has not effected me in any way whatsoever, so since I cannot back up my previous statements with personal sacrifice (not even made up sacrifice), I'll just fall back on whatever supposed economic hardships I heard about on Olberman last night.

You don't "consolidate trips". Nor do you drive even a mile less than you did under Clinton. I absolutely guarantee it.:rolleyes:

By the way, I'm not pompous at all. I am simply a realist who actually DOES live in the middle-class, and who knows the smell of agendra-driven bull**** when he smells it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2234050]I know I havn't suffered in any form due to this bad economy you claim exists, so I cannot help your claim. [/QUOTE]

That is very commendable, Warfish.

But you can't debate the fact that:

[I]Gasoline prices soaring
    heating costs soaring
    Food prices increasing[/I]

aren't going to affect some Americans adversely. While it may not affect you personally, which is great, others may not have such luck.

I have two friends of mine that are closing their Dutchess County construction business after 20 years. High energy prices and a glutted housing market contributed to it. But I know...they should suck it up and quit being wussies. :D

[QUOTE=bitonti;2234056]well as far as i can tell the answers are forever and yes

the economy is global, it's not just about US and US situation, there is cash everywhere and they have to invest it somewhere. think about companies, how many of the truly huge ones (Apple, Google, Microsoft, CocaCola) are American companies? think about the Iphone and Levi's Jeans. we are a brand and everyone wants a piece.[/QUOTE]

OK let's go back to the printing press so we can make more dollars.....

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2234094]That is very commendable, Warfish.

heating costs soaring
    Food prices increasing[/I]

aren't going to affect some Americans adversely. While it may not affect you personally, which is great, others may not have such luck.

I have two friends of mine that are closing their Dutchess County construction business after 20 years. High energy prices and a glutted housing market contributed to it. But I know...they should suck it up and quit being wussies. :D[/QUOTE]

They can work at McD's

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2234094]That is very commendable, Warfish.

heating costs soaring
    Food prices increasing[/I][/QUOTE]

Actually, I can. I'm willing to bet I make substantially less than most of our resident Adult Working JI-Politic-Board posters.

Gas here went from $2.75/Gallon to $3.10/Gallon, give or take of course. That change is not what I would call "soaring", nor has it effected my driving choices in the very least.

My heating costs havn't gone up substantially? Is $120/month "substantially higher" than $105/month? I would say no.

Food prices? Lawl. As if $150 every week is SOOOO much more a burden than $140 a week.

Sorry man. As a lower-middle-class American, I don't buy it that the economy has gotton as bad as you all like to claim.

Warfish...just because things aren't bad today doesn't mean we're on the right track. Anyone who knows anything about economics and the banking system knows that they only reason we're experiencing any prosperity today is at the expense of our children and our cash savings. At some point this vicious cycle has to stop.

We're on the verge of a global banking crisis which will lead to rampant inflation which will erode everyone's savings so the bankers can be bailed out. $516 trillion in derivatives will cost everyone if even 15% of those special performance contracts don't perform. The immoral lunatic financial system can't last much longer and something HAS to be done.