Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not Enough Parking for Private Jets Going to UN Climate Conference

Veteran
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2237347]I would like them to step up and be leaders and get there like the rest of us....its called coach...

DO the math....50 delicates and 50 planes or 50 delicates and [SIZE="6"]1[/SIZE] plane... gee, what is better for the environment?[/QUOTE]

so all of the delegates are coming from the same place?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ubrnostrum;2237360]so all of the delegates are coming from the same place?[/QUOTE]

No way of knowing that...although they might have all been able to meet at that big shiny building on the East River...

Imagine that..conduct UN business at the UN..(a radical concept, I know).

I will guarantee you one thing...those 50 delegates didn't pile into two yellow school buses for their ride to the resort once those 50 private jets landed.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=ubrnostrum;2237360]so all of the delegates are coming from the same place?[/QUOTE]

Fine....I will give you that, but I bet all these delegates are coming from countries that have regular flights on commercial airlines to the location of the meeting. Perhaps they could take those instead.

It is this mindset that jeopardizes the whole concept that man is partially responsible for the state of the environment and gives fodder to those who think otherwise.

My problem is with people who are standing on their soapbox preaching the sinful ways of man and how he treats the environment while they leave their SUV's running in the parking lot to keep it warm. If you are going to lead, lead by example first.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2237351]Problem is CB, this is a great example of how we ARE contributing to global warming....Yet, it is ironic that those who are complaining the most do not see how their actions directly contribute to the exact thing they are warning us about.[/QUOTE]

hence the purpose of the thread....by the way; there's another one on this forum about you Canadien beer drinkers threatening the planet....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;2237376]I will guarantee you one thing...those 50 delegates didn't pile into two yellow school buses for their ride to the resort once those 50 private jets landed.[/QUOTE]

Or all pile into one shiny yellow bus for their trip to the UN.

Bali is a good place for them to meet.

In fact...why don't they just pack up the UN and move it there. Why does the US insist on hosting our enemies here, in our own country?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Phoenixx;2237376]No way of knowing that...although they might have all been able to meet at that big shiny building on the East River...

Imagine that..conduct UN business at the UN..(a radical concept, I know).

I will guarantee you one thing...those 50 delegates didn't pile into two yellow school buses for their ride to the resort once those 50 private jets landed.[/QUOTE]

yet they want everyone to think they practice what they preach....

[QUOTE]Bali Talks Aim to Set Path for Post-Kyoto Pact
    By JANE SPENCE and JOHN MCKINNON

[B]When the United Nations Climate Change Conference kicks off next week in Bali, Indonesia, delegates will be riding bicycles between meetings and shedding their suit jackets to save energy on air conditioning.[/B]

The U.S. delegation, eager to convey a new spirit of cooperation on the issue, will be going casual.
    "Any chance I get to break out the flip-flops, I take," says James Connaughton, chairman of the White House Council on Environmental Quality, who will be representing the U.S. at the Bali conference.

Bikes and flip-flops are a starting point for offsetting the 47,000 metric tons of carbon-dioxide expected to be generated during the 12-day meeting, which begins Monday. But the delegates have a considerably larger task at hand in trying to rein in the more than 28 billion metric tons released on the planet each year -- an output linked to rising temperatures and everything from water shortages to species extinction.

The Bali conference aims to jump-start the two-year process of forging a new global climate treaty to succeed the Kyoto Protocol, which expires in 2012. But with major carbon emitters like China, India and the U.S. signaling they will keep up their historical opposition to Kyoto-based proposals that require them to make binding emissions cuts, expectations for tangible results are low. And, to some degree, major negotiations are on hold until the U.S. presidential election next year, since the next administration may have vastly different ideas on climate change.

As a result, the Bali conference will largely focus on logistical issues, like laying out a timetable for negotiating the next agreement, rather than on the substance of the next deal.
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119647493503310298.html?mod=googlenews_wsj[/url]