Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Gay General at the Debate Last Night works for the Hillary Campaign

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2236179]I agree. I have no problem with the fact that they let a person who works for Hillary ask a question. The problem I have is with the cherry-picked softball questions that were chosen for the Democrats, especially the Hillary questions.

CNN has always been biased for the Clintons. But in that last Democratic debate it was sickening.[/QUOTE]

The fact that they let a person who supports Hilary ask a question actualy is a problem....This is a republican primary debate..which means that the only people who can vote in the repub. primary are registered republican voters. The fact that the gay general was not happy with the answer he received is of no importance..he will not be voting in that primary anyway so who cares what he has to say right now.
    I would think someone at CNN would had to of realized this if they were realy worried about conducting a legitimate debate..but we all know they had their own agenda, and always do....At least the republicans had the balls to show up for it however....its not like the dems are going to do one on fox anytime soon.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=sec.101row23;2236480]The fact that they let a person who supports Hilary ask a question actualy is a problem....This is a republican primary debate..which means that the only people who can vote in the repub. primary are registered republican voters. The fact that the gay general was not happy with the answer he received is of no importance..he will not be voting in that primary anyway so who cares what he has to say right now.
    I would think someone at CNN would had to of realized this if they were realy worried about conducting a legitimate debate..but we all know they had their own agenda, and always do....At least the republicans had the balls to show up for it however....its not like the dems are going to do one on fox anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

c'mon bro- that's cause Fox News is biased....CNN is the most trusted network on cable, as their commercials tell us...:rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2236497]c'mon bro- that's cause Fox News is biased....CNN is the most trusted network on cable, as their commercials tell us...:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I know they are....it so nice seeing the stories on the progress that is being made in Iraq on CNN every night as opposed to the "daily body count" they were used to running. I guess they figure if they dont report it it might not realy be happening.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;2236480]The fact that they let a person who supports Hilary ask a question actualy is a problem....This is a republican primary debate..which means that the only people who can vote in the repub. primary are registered republican voters. The fact that the gay general was not happy with the answer he received is of no importance..he will not be voting in that primary anyway so who cares what he has to say right now.
    I would think someone at CNN would had to of realized this if they were realy worried about conducting a legitimate debate..but we all know they had their own agenda, and always do....At least the republicans had the balls to show up for it however....its not like the dems are going to do one on fox anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

not all states say you have to be a registered Repub to vote in the GOP primary...

ANYONE should be allowed to ask questions, although I think people who work for an opposition "party" candidate should not be entitled to until the general election

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE][B]CNN Defends Its Use of Democratic Supporters in Republican YouTube Debate
    Thursday, November 29, 2007[/B]

After spending the day facing accusations it stacked the deck against the Republican presidential contenders by having Democratic backers ask video questions during its debate, CNN on Thursday responded that it doesn't know what the fuss is all about.

The cable news network, in collaboration with video Web site YouTube, hosted the Wednesday night debate that had more than 30 voters pose questions to the Republican candidates. It later turned out that several of those questioners are actively supporting Democratic candidates.

"The whole point of these ground-breaking CNN/YouTube debates is to focus on substantive questions of concern to real people and to throw open the process to a wider range of Americans all around the country. CNN cared about what you asked, not who you were. This was the case for both the Democratic and the Republican CNN/YouTube debates," CNN said in a statement issued late in the day.

"The issues raised during last night's debate were legitimate and relevant no matter who was asking the questions. The vested interests who are challenging the credibility of the questioners are trying to distract voters from the substantive issues they care most about. Americans are tired of that discredited low-road approach, and throughout this election campaign CNN will stay focused on what the candidates are saying about the pressing issues facing this country at a critical time in our history.

RelatedStories
    Republican Rivals Spar on Immigration, Torture at Heated YouTube Debate "Judging by the fact that last night's event was the most-watched primary debate ever, it seems that the audience responded to our focus on plain-spoken questions about important issues," the statement continued.

But Republican candidate Mike Huckabee said news of the involvement of Democratic supporters tainted the debate.

"I think it compromises the integrity of what it was supposed to be and that is a very objective people's kind of debate," he said.

Nearly as soon as Wednesday night's debate ended, the Internet started buzzing about one of the questioners a retired Army colonel who revealed himself as gay.

Keith Kerr of Santa Rosa, Calif., challenged the eight candidates via video message and live in the audience at the St. Petersburg debate, on the right of gays and lesbians to serve openly in the U.S. military.

The broadcast, however, failed to mention that Kerr, who served as a brigadier general in the reserves, is a member of a gay and lesbian steering committee for Democratic candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton. He also was an active supporter of 2004 Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.

Read the Clinton campaign release naming Kerr to the steering committee.

Clinton spokesman Phil Singer has denied that the campaign had any knowledge ahead of time that Kerr was going to participate in the debate, and Kerr said he did not inform the campaign of his plans.

It turns out Kerr wasn't the only Democratic supporter asking questions. Ted Faturos, 20, a student at University of California, San Diego, asked a question about corn subsidies. It turns out the urban studies and planning major also worked as an intern for Democratic Rep. Jane Harman. John Hess, Harman's chief of staff, issued a statement Thursday saying Faturos is no longer affiliated with the office.

"Ted Faturos was a high school intern in our district office for the summer of 2004 only and has had no connection to the office or contact with the congresswoman since, Hess said.

Elsewhere, one woman who identified herself as Journey from Texas, and who has a Web page in which she goes by the name Paperserenade asked the candidates about whether they would prosecute women and doctors if abortion were made illegal and the practice continued. After the debate, she posted a Web video wearing a John Edwards '08 T-shirt. In the posting, she said she was disappointed by the responses she got, particularly from Fred Thompson, though it's the answer she expected.

Another questioner, Leeann Anderson, asked about the danger of lead toys from China. Anderson, an activist on the issue, is reportedly an assistant to Leo Gerard, president of the United Steelworkers of America. The union endorsed Edwards earlier this month, and Anderson's question is posted on the steelworkers' YouTube page next to a picture of Edwards.

David McMillan, a screenwriter from Los Angeles who asked the candidates why they thought the vast majority of African Americans don't vote Republican, has pictures of himself on his Web site attending a fundraiser for Barack Obama as well as several parodies bashing current and former Bush administration officials Dick Cheney, Karl Rove and Alberto Gonzales.

But McMillan told FOX News he attended the Obama fundraiser in Los Angeles in mid-August as well as an Edwards event the same night, "not as a supporter, but as 'citizen journalist.'" He added that for professional purposes, he would not announce his political affiliations or which candidate he may vote for next November.

As for Kerr, he has been an activist against the military's don't-ask-don't-tell policy for years. He appeared on CNN twice in 2003 discussing his opposition to the policy that says service men and women will be dismissed from service for revealing their gay orientation. But as if reading from that policy Wednesday, Kerr told FOX News that CNN "never asked" him if he is a Clinton supporter so he "never told."

Kerr submitted the question for Republican candidates at the video debate "a couple months ago," and said last Saturday CNN called him and said they'd like him to come to the debate. He said the cable news network paid for his flight, his hotel and his transportation to and from the event.

According to the Clinton campaign, members of Clinton's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Steering Committee have endorsed Hillary Clinton for president "in their individual capacity" and work with the campaign on several areas including political outreach, communications, policy advice and counsel and fundraising.

The retired officer said his activities with the Clinton campaign are minimal. He receives e-mails from the campaign and has been invited to a fundraiser in San Francisco. He said he offered to pay "some token amount like 100 bucks" to attend the fundraiser, but as of yet has given no contribution.

"I have not done any work. Several friends asked me if I would allow my name to be listed and I agreed. She's been such a strong advocate for gay rights," he told CNN on Thursday.

He added that he had been a Log Cabin Republican for a long time and recently changed from Republican to independent in California. He said he had supported the GOP but "these guys are just partisanly homophobic."

Not all the questioners at the debate were Democratic supporters. Jay Fox, who asked a question about the candidates' positions on gun control, confirmed to FOXNews.com that he is a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association. He said that he had seen speculation online that he may have been a phony, but confirmed, "I actually am a Republican."

Fox, a senior film production major at Chapman University in Orange, Calif., said he is undecided but likes both Ron Paul and Tom Tancredo. He also said despite the safety lecture from Duncan Hunter after he tossed his gun in his video, he thought Hunter answered his question adequately.

Following the debate, CNN anchor Anderson Cooper said in a broadcast statement that Kerr's political ties to Clinton were unknown to the network.

"We don't know if he is still on it," said Cooper. "We are trying to find out that information. Certainly, had we had that information we would have acknowledged that in using his question, if we had used it all."

CNN said that before deciding to use Kerr's question and fly him out to the debate, it had verified his military background and that he had not contributed any money to any presidential candidate.

Afterward, Senior Vice President and Executive Producer of the debate, David Bohrman, issued a statement. "We regret this incident. CNN would not have used the general's question had we known that he was connected to any presidential candidate."

Watch Anderson Cooper's comments regarding the Hillary supporter.

During the debate, Kerr said he wanted to know why the GOP candidates think that "American men and women in uniform are not professional enough to serve with gays and lesbians."

Candidates Hunter, Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney and John McCain all answered the question. Hunter said it would be "bad for unit cohesion" for openly homosexual people to serve in the ranks. Huckabee said the the Uniform Code of Military Justice states that such "conduct could put at risk the morale." Romney said that in the midst of a war is not the time to change policy, and he would listen to recommendations from military leaders. McCain said he respects the general's service to the nation but believes the leaders in the field when they say the present policy is working.
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,314002,00.html[/url]

All League
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2236497]c'mon bro- that's cause Fox News is biased...:[/QUOTE]

Well that is true.

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2236535]not all states say you have to be a registered Repub to vote in the GOP primary...

ANYONE should be allowed to ask questions, although I think people who work for an opposition "party" candidate should not be entitled to until the general election[/QUOTE]

Whatever. They should allow CBTNY to ask Hillary questions then. Not-going-to-happen. But some fruitcake dredging up gay military "issue"? No problema. (and yes, if you're cause is gay rights in the military during wartime, you are a flaming good-for-absolutely-nothing fruitcake. The military is not a social laboratory, especially right now. End of story.)

CNN is transparent. What's good is that everyone knows it. It's amazing to me the lengths that liberals go to trash Fox - yet Fox can't hold a candle to the things some of the other major networks do. And Democrats won't even appear on Fox! LOL.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2236992]They should allow CBTNY to ask Hillary questions then.[/QUOTE]
    That would be great!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;2235781]

this is not a Bush public appearance where the audience is pre-screened. it's a youtube debate and the people have spoken.[/QUOTE]

Nice try but Coopers response clearly states otherwise.

That would be incredible! Wow, Americans love to watch arrogant jerkoffs ask Hillary questions.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2237221]That would be great![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;2237304]That would be incredible! Wow, Americans love to watch arrogant jerkoffs ask Hillary questions.[/QUOTE]
    Would beat reading your posts, bro.

I would never stand between you and your man CUM on Sackdance's face NY. We all know you love him. It's ok, just don't try to get married, that is just wrong.

[QUOTE=sackdance;2237311]Would beat reading your posts, bro.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Buster;2235734]I did not watch the debate.

Was the question valid?

What was the question?[/QUOTE]

does this dress make me look fat?

[QUOTE=cr726;2237317]I would never stand between you and your man CUM on Sackdance's face NY. We all know you love him. It's ok, just don't try to get married, that is just wrong.[/QUOTE]
    Like I said, I'd rather watch CBTNY ask Hillary some questions than read your posts.

I'll tell you a little about myself, cr, I would not write anything here that I wouldn't say in person. I'm glad, too. It means I don't end up writing ridiculous stuff.

[QUOTE=sourceworx;2236179]I agree. I have no problem with the fact that they let a person who works for Hillary ask a question. The problem I have is with the cherry-picked softball questions that were chosen for the Democrats, especially the Hillary questions.

CNN has always been biased for the Clintons. But in that last Democratic debate it was sickening.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the point about CNN, but I think someone working for another campaign should have disclosed that beforehand. Absent such info the network otherwise appears to be presenting the questions as coming from unaligned "real people", which of course is somewhat misleading since everyone has their starting frame of reference. But at least the info should have been provided.

I am very critical of CNN as the Clinton News Network, but in this case I doubt they knew in advance that this gay guy was with Hillary's campaign since the transcendent concern for them is this has made them look very bad, incompetent, even.

Having said that, I have no doubt if Fox ran a Dem debate they would intentionally try to distort it. They do that all day long, anyway, so why would you think them running a debate would be different? They don't even try to be objective, and have succeeded by carving out an audience that tunes them in to hear what they want to hear. While I intensely distrust CNN, my pessimism about them is not equivalent to my view of Fox Noise.

Jets Insider VIP
    The most hilarious thing about this whole debacle is that it's a perfect metaphor for how much the Republican machine is falling apart.

If Rove was still calling the shots, he wouldn't be stamping his feet like some p*ssified liberal whiner. He would just put Republican plants in the next Democrat debate. That's it. A taste of their own medicine. In fact, Rove would have been smart enough to do it to the Democrats first.

But now, the Republican ship is rapidly sinking. Savior Thompson is a dud. Giuliani is just a scandal away from what "is" is. Romney is exactly what you would think...a crazy Mormon from liberal bastion Mass-of-two-sh*ts.

The only one have appealing is Huckabee. And he is poised to run out of funds soon...which is extremely uncharacteristic of Republican candidates.

Strange times we live in these days....

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2237363]The most hilarious thing about this whole debacle is that it's a perfect metaphor for how much the Republican machine is falling apart.

If Rove was still calling the shots, he wouldn't be stamping his feet like some p*ssified liberal whiner. He would just put Republican plants in the next Democrat debate. That's it. A taste of their own medicine. In fact, Rove would have been smart enough to do it to the Democrats first.

But now, the Republican ship is rapidly sinking. Savior Thompson is a dud. Giuliani is just a scandal away from what "is" is. Romney is exactly what you would think...a crazy Mormon from liberal bastion Mass-of-two-sh*ts.

The only one have appealing is Huckabee. And he is poised to run out of funds soon...which is extremely uncharacteristic of Republican candidates.

Strange times we live in these days....[/QUOTE]

I will admit to having an intense dislike of Rudy, but I can look at the others with a mild academic interest in the horse race qualities of each. Thompson doesn't bother me that much. I thought he handled himself pretty well in the debate. Romney has been coming across as slick, but has been showing real emotion at times, making me think there might be a real person in there. Still he got creamed imo by McCain on that torture issue.

I might have thought McCain would have seemed most appealing when this started out, but you can see him cogitating in these things that whenever he says something against the grain of the others, he needs to balance it with throwing some red meat to the mouth breathers. It is too obvious. For example, he refers to the Geneva Convention to criticize Romney, which was fair. But then he ignores the Constitution when he touts the line item veto in that little tiff with Rudy.

Paul seemed in over his head, and of course most of his ideas are DOA.

That leaves Huckabee. I don't really know much about the guy, but there is a brief piece in The New Yorker than explains why some in the press seem to like him. The take is his more extreme ideas like junking the tax system and passing a constitutional amendmend banning abortion are seen as going nowhere, so the net effect in policies if he were president is not much different from the others, but he just doesn't follow this approach of being the constantly angry conservative like you see in clowns like Sean Hannity. It's refreshing.

Of course that does not mean he should be president, but I think it explains a big part of his appeal.

Howard Kurtz: [I]So let me get this straight... in the Democrat YouTube debates, the "undecided questioners" are Democratic activists and in the Republican YouTube debates, the "undecided questioners" are Democratic activists.

Well, at least they're consistent.[/I]

We have something in common, I do not hide behind a keyboard, if we were standing and talking in person I would tell you what I think as well. You adore CBTNY and I think it is hysterical.

[QUOTE=sackdance;2237348]Like I said, I'd rather watch CBTNY ask Hillary some questions than read your posts.

I'll tell you a little about myself, cr, I would not write anything here that I wouldn't say in person. I'm glad, too. It means I don't end up writing ridiculous stuff.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how the Dems would have reacted had this scenario been reversed, ie. Rove and Cheney handpicking questions pushing a Conservative agenda (and worded that way) for a Democrat Debate of Fox News.

CNN looks very bad in this issue.